Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back To My Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Really lets you know how much marathon training is tunnel vision, when you're in the midst of it, its a huge part of your life, but when you're out of it, it matters little in the real world.

Booooooooooooo!

One week ban for being a buzz-kill :-)

Seriously, hope you get it sorted soon buddy. Wouldnt be so pessimistic tho, i had written off 2012 too but it doesnt take that long to get it back. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

To be honest it's nice to get a break from running, it's all i've done since aged 8. Really lets you know how much marathon training is tunnel vision, when you're in the midst of it, its a huge part of your life, but when you're out of it, it matters little in the real world.
    Booooooooooooo!
    One week ban for being a buzz-kill :-)

+1 boooooooo
    Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Haha, just spotted this. Oslo is extremely expensive for everything, not just junk food and booze. It has an extremely high cost of living (probably the most expensive city in the world). Nothing to do with a vendetta against people who enjoy a pint or two.

+1 again. Use to work with a guy from Norway and twice a year he'd load up his suitcase with turkey and chicken breasts and head home. The cost of meat was so high it was a worthy trip by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Update;

so the latest blood test showed that i have Glandular Fever (Epstein Barr virus). It's no surprise to me tbh, i knew it had to be something like that.

What i think happened is that i first had it April pre London, i recovered, then it relapsed in July when i went back into training. Its the same thing now as it was then i am certain.

Mono relapse (as its also known) has ended some runners careers and i need to be careful it doesn't happen to me. I'm thinking i may have to take 6 weeks - 2 months off completely to let it clear. I visit the doc again in a few days and hopefully he can recommend a resting period.

I'm quite disappointed in the NHS for not picking this up until now. They tested me twice in April and May, having been described my symptoms, but they didnt test for Epstein Barr. They only tested for it this time because i told them i think i have it :rolleyes: Would you believe the receptionist in the surgery told me my results, with several people within earshot. And the NHS got a segment in the opening ceremony!!! In hindsight running the cork relay etc was madness, but i thought i was clear.

As regards my own running, i've given up on 2012 now and tbh London 2013 is out now too. I wouldnt be in shape to reach my potential then so why bother? Priority remains to just to recover fully from this before i look at what to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Update;

so the latest blood test showed that i have Glandular Fever (Epstein Barr virus). It's no surprise to me tbh, i knew it had to be something like that.

What i think happened is that i first had it April pre London, i recovered, then it relapsed in July when i went back into training. Its the same thing now as it was then i am certain.

Mono relapse (as its also known) has ended some runners careers and i need to be careful it doesn't happen to me. I'm thinking i may have to take 6 weeks - 2 months off completely to let it clear. I visit the doc again in a few days and hopefully he can recommend a resting period.

I'm quite disappointed in the NHS for not picking this up until now. They tested me twice in April and May, having been described my symptoms, but they didnt test for Epstein Barr. They only tested for it this time because i told them i think i have it :rolleyes: Would you believe the receptionist in the surgery told me my results, with several people within earshot. And the NHS got a segment in the opening ceremony!!! In hindsight running the cork relay etc was madness, but i thought i was clear.

As regards my own running, i've given up on 2012 now and tbh London 2013 is out now too. I wouldnt be in shape to reach my potential then so why bother? Priority remains to just to recover fully from this before i look at what to do next.

Best of Luck in your recovery Your health should be your priority because once that is okay, you can do anything. I've been following your log in here and just want to Wish you Well :)

And from whom did you pick the virus up from? My money is on Meno, know known as Mono-Memo :)

Best of luck with the recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sorry to hear that. Subject to what the doc says, don't write off London 2013. Even if not your best you will at some point need to start somewhere. It's going to take a few races to get back to your best'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

It's mad to think that Roger Federer made the Australian Open semi finals with mono in 2008, and indeed was suffering the after affects of it for much of that year, yet still took Nadal to 5 grueling sets in that Wimbledon epic. Really hits home just how good he was/is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Glad to hear you were finally able to get to the bottom of it atleast now you are on the road to recovery. Best of luck and just take your time better to err on the side of caution in this incidence and hopefully next year will be alot better for you than this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So sorry to hear that B, mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

hard luck Brian, at least you can have it treated properly now. Get well soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Glad they got to the bottom of that now, You'll be back stonger than ever. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck with the recovery, at least you know now what it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

2012 wasn't all that anyway, much better to come good at the start of a new year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So you're not just lazy and it's fixable? That's great news! :)
    1. Recover
    2. Re-build self to a stronger and faster you.
    3. Watch out world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Don't think 2012 was a complete write off. Anybody who saw you skull a pint of London Pride faster than Abi "the Abs" Oyepitan will know that you've put some serious groundwork in for an excellent beer mile debut next year. Sub 7 is on the cards. :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't think 2012 was a complete write off. Anybody who saw you skull a pint of London Pride faster than Abi "the Abs" Oyepitan will know that you've put some serious groundwork in for an excellent beer mile debut next year. Sub 7 is on the cards. :D

Only one problem there - he's becoming a lightweight in his old age :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

really sorry to hear that you'll be out for the rest of the year:( I'm hoping the diagnosis (finally) will help with your recovery and it will make things a lot easier to cope with.
    At least this gives you more time to concentrate on your gambling now:) What odds are you offering on meno/CL in Berlin?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Subject to what the doc says, don't write off London 2013. Even if not your best you will at some point need to start somewhere. It's going to take a few races to get back to your best'.

I dont see the point in running 3'10 or 3'15 tbh, nothing to gain from it. I'll start on races like local 5k's and 10k's with the pressure off.
    TRR wrote: »
    And from whom did you pick the virus up from? My money is on Meno, know known as Mono-Memo :)

No idea tbh, i could have picked it up anywhere. Make sure you don't accidentaly drink out of my pint after DCM :D
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    2012 wasn't all that anyway, much better to come good at the start of a new year. ;)

I still have a 60'38 10 mile (McMillan pb from 2 mile upwards) from 2012 so its not all a total waste running wise :)
    So you're not just lazy and it's fixable? That's great news! :)
    1. Recover
    2. Re-build self to a stronger and faster you.
    3. Watch out world.

I was delighted when i heard it was GF tbh. First time in months i've seen a possible end to the fatigue and general malaise.

Long gaps to bridge on yourself and a few others are starting to close in on me. Bring it on in 2013 :D
    Marthastew wrote: »
    really sorry to hear that you'll be out for the rest of the year:( I'm hoping the diagnosis (finally) will help with your recovery and it will make things a lot easier to cope with.
    At least this gives you more time to concentrate on your gambling now:) What odds are you offering on meno/CL in Berlin?

Cheers,

Meno is 2/7, CL is 7/2. You can have evens each of two for Meno + 3 minutes.

Only one problem there - he's becoming a lightweight in his old age :pac:

Nobody asked you to comment :p

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nobody asked you to comment :p

You didn't need to ask me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Meno is 2/7, CL is 7/2. You can have evens each of two for Meno + 3 minutes.

:confused:

No Parlez!

Is CL the favourite?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    :confused:

No Parlez!

Is CL the favourite?

Nope, Meno is 77% favourite and wins 7 out of 9 times if you get me, its a 50:50 shot if you add 3 mins to Meno's time. Like a handicap.

Comprendez? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Nope, Meno is 77% favourite and wins 7 out of 9 times if you get me, its a 50:50 shot if you add 3 mins to Meno's time. Like a handicap.

Comprendez? :p

I'm after having to explain to CL.... She's onto her Swiss bankers at the moment as she fancies a lot of that 7/2 ;)

Right time for an update;

No running for me the last 9 months unfortunately. I have what looks like parasympathetic overtraining syndrome, basically the body shuts down to prevent further damage, a result of a depressed immune system. You cant run without being wiped the next day, you can't spend too much time on your feet and unusually you cant get sick. It's a condition nobody knows a lot about really.

Sept and October were the worst months as the deconditioning spiral took hold. November I showed the first signs of improvement and i was improving about 5% a month since until March where i made great strides. Undergoing Graded Exercise Therapy the last 2 months and this i believe had hugely helped. I no longer suffer from "brain fog" and i am up to 20 mins on the exercise bike and i actually feel normal again. :) Got my first cold in 8 months 2 weeks ago which actually is a great sign.

There is a plan to get me back running, but its a year long plan and i certainly am not gonna rush things. After i've maxed out the bike it will be the cross trainer then some light jogging on grass. The future is certainly looking a lot brighter than it was a couple of months ago. :) Meno made sure my London entry lives on for another year. I wonder is there a record for who has held a London entry for the most years.

This article outlines the condition perfectly. All the timelines are bang in line with me which is a strange coincidence.

I will try to post updates going forward but i have been avoiding the logs for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good to hear your on the mend. Im in london for a night in a couple of weeks, we should try and get together...

Good to hear your on the mend. Im in london for a night in a couple of weeks, we should try and get together...

Sounds good, pm me. I never say no to boardsie pints in London :D

Sounds good, pm me. I never say no to boardsie pints in London :D

Unless it's meno :) glad to hear you're on the mend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Glad your on the mean, cant believe its a years now, remember you in the pub after London last years saying there was something serious wrong. Almost feel bad for giving you stick... almost ;)

shels4ever wrote: »
    Glad your on the mean, cant believe its a years now, remember you in the pub after London last years saying there was something serious wrong. Almost feel bad for giving you stick... almost ;)

That reminds me, you owe us a few pints Brian regards Robin's bet. I heard you ran off without buying the man the pint you owed him. Bad form :cool:

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »

Yep months and months just pass with no improvement, tis a right kick in the balls.

I wouldnt expect anything less from yourself and TRR :P
    TRR wrote: »
    That reminds me, you owe us a few pints Brian regards Robin's bet. I heard you ran off without buying the man the pint you owed him. Bad form :cool:

No recollection of that :D I gave him Birmingham diamond league tickets for nothing last summer, i think we're pretty even. I'll get him back next time

Advertisement