Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

folan wrote: »
    Runchick wrote: »
    I've been using the Zero high5 electrolyte drink tabs, they're fine but make sure to make them up just before your run so they're still fizzy, made the mistake of doing it the night before last week and it was flat - not very appealing at all ;)
    how do you find them for energy? i know that theyre mainly for hydration, but theyre supposed to be good for keeping the energy levels up too

I did last week's 14 mile LSR with just this and water and felt fine for energy, I had jelly babies with me but didn't need to take them, though I'm guessing I'll need more when the distance picks up next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hello all!

I see Mr Slow has posted a couple of chapters from my 'Chronicles for Insomniacs' for you guys to read.

I've been running for about 3 years now. I cannot remember how or why I started but I'll root out the old diary and try put some perspective on it. I ran a couple of 10k races in 2009. In January 2010, I set myself the goal of runnning a HM in June. I followed a Hal Higdon Half Marathon for Beginners program pretty much to the letter and ran my first HM in Kildare in May 2010. When I started training, I wanted to run sub 2:20. By race day, I wanted to run sub 2:05. I ran the race in 2:04.xx damaging my right ankle in the process. I was off my feet for 5 weeks afterwards and was very nervous running for the first time after that. I eased myself back in and basically had to start from scratch again. In October 2010, I signed up for the Connemara HM the following April so that I'd have a goal and something to train for and keep me honest. I ran my longest training run to date just before Chirstmas 2010. It was my first Boards group LSR and we ran 14 miles at 10m/m pace. I was on a high having run further than ever before and somehow let Menoscemo talk me into switching my Connemara entry from the half, to the full marathon. After the excesses of Christmas, and looking at the 14 weeks I had to get into marathon shape, I started to regret my decision. My first attempt at a post-christmas 10 mile LSR ended up being 3 miles of hell and a walk back to the car. I had so many bad runs in my training for Connemara that really made me question my sanity and or ability. However, the good runs more than made up for the bad ones. I'll never forget finishing my first 20 mile run and sitting on the ground in the papal cross car park while Mr Slow said I looked like I'd just slept with a hanger in my mouth. I'll also never forget my second 20 mile run; every mile of which was a nightmare. I don't know how I got through it. And what's more I don't know how I convinced myself to ever put on my runners again. But I did. Everyone's advice before Connemara was to ENJOY IT! You'll never get your first marathon back. Regardless of what you run, it will be a PB. Luckily for me, Connemara was not the place to be chasing a fast time. I will never forget my experience - it was fantastic. It was tough and there were parts where it hurt. A lot. But the positives far outweighed the negatives. I met so many lovely people from all over the world. I ran with people who'd been running marathons for years and with people who were running their first like myself. I finished in 4:28 and burst into tears at the finish line. The feeling of achievement was phenomenal. It's a reward for hard work that you have done and it's all your own to claim.

I then took the requisite break that I knew my body needed and just ran for the sake of running. Ran as and how (distance and pace) I wanted and my love for being out on the road just continued to increase.

I then signed up for Dublin 2011 which was 6 months after Connemara. The goal was that elusive sub-4. The training was tough and I pushed myself too hard. I couldn't break 52 mins for 10k and when I fell over the line of the Dublin Half barely breaking 2 hours, I knew there was something up. Finally listening to my body, I went to the doctor only to learn that my bloods were in bits. I decided to ease off (still did the mileage but didn't give a sugar about pace or pushing myself over the edge) and settle for a comfortable 4:15-20. It wasn't fair on my body and I had to be sensible and train sensibly. On the day, I ended up being so rested, and all the slow miles in my legs paid off. I ran a comfortable 3:53 and enjoyed every single minute of the marathan. The Dublin marathon is just fantastic - the crowds and the support are so different to Connemara and it was great in a completely different way.

The next step was the Connemara Ultra which was decided upon over a drunken handshake between myself and Digger in November 2011. When I sobered up and saw sense I questioned what we were signing up to do but both of us were too stubborn to walk away. Training for this was just mileage and mileage and more mileage. Typically there were good runs and bad runs and even worse runs. The bad ones made us doubt the insane distance we were taking on; the good ones made us feel invincible! Part of this journey was the Donadea 50k race and a 30 mile run whereby we parked the car in Bray, got the DART to Howth and ran back. The 3/4 months spent training for this was interesting - I won't go into further detail...

I ran the 2012 Connemara Ultra (39.3miles) in 5:48.10 - the goal had been to break 6 hours - and the feeling crossing the finish line was indescribable. After that, the legs needed a break so a month was spent trotting around doing whatever I wanted/felt like doing. The next goal was the Berlin Marathon at the end of September so I had room for downtime. I joined a club as I decided I could do with some structured trainig and I was luckily offered the luxury of personal coaching for Berlin.

Since then training has gone great and I'm feeling really positive about Berlin. I couldn't believe how well Longford went at the weekend and it just goes to show what anyone can do. Trust me, if I can do it with no history of running/school sports/etc (I was always the one who 'particpated' or got the spirit prizes...), then anyone can do it.

I just wanted to share a (very brief) version of my story with you guys just to show what possibilities are out there. Training is tough and it requires time and dedication and self motivation and all those things that aren't necessarily always easy to come by, but the rewards are more than worth it. Train sensibly. Enjoy the good runs. More importantly, don't forget the bad ones - they're what make us stronger - mentally and physically. Enjoy the journey. Enjoy your first marathon. And enjoy crossing that finish line! I promise you'll swear 'never again'... I also promise, you'll be looking at the marathon diary within 48 hours seeing what the next goal will be!

Wishing you all the very best of luck! :)

Apologies for the rambling but it's what I'm famous for ;) (I also haven't read over the above so apologies for spelling and grammar errors!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

claralara wrote: »
    Hello all!

I see Mr Slow has posted a couple of chapters from my 'Chronicles for Insomniacs' for you guys to read.

I've been running for about 3 years now. I cannot remember how or why I started but I'll root out the old diary and try put some perspective on it. I ran a couple of 10k races in 2009. In January 2010, I set myself the goal of runnning a HM in June. I followed a Hal Higdon Half Marathon for Beginners program pretty much to the letter and ran my first HM in Kildare in May 2010. When I started training, I wanted to run sub 2:20. By race day, I wanted to run sub 2:05. I ran the race in 2:04.xx damaging my right ankle in the process. I was off my feet for 5 weeks afterwards and was very nervous running for the first time after that. I eased myself back in and basically had to start from scratch again. In October 2010, I signed up for the Connemara HM the following April so that I'd have a goal and something to train for and keep me honest. I ran my longest training run to date just before Chirstmas 2010. It was my first Boards group LSR and we ran 14 miles at 10m/m pace. I was on a high having run further than ever before and somehow let Menoscemo talk me into switching my Connemara entry from the half, to the full marathon. After the excesses of Christmas, and looking at the 14 weeks I had to get into marathon shape, I started to regret my decision. My first attempt at a post-christmas 10 mile LSR ended up being 3 miles of hell and a walk back to the car. I had so many bad runs in my training for Connemara that really made me question my sanity and or ability. However, the good runs more than made up for the bad ones. I'll never forget finishing my first 20 mile run and sitting on the ground in the papal cross car park while Mr Slow said I looked like I'd just slept with a hanger in my mouth. I'll also never forget my second 20 mile run; every mile of which was a nightmare. I don't know how I got through it. And what's more I don't know how I convinced myself to ever put on my runners again. But I did. Everyone's advice before Connemara was to ENJOY IT! You'll never get your first marathon back. Regardless of what you run, it will be a PB. Luckily for me, Connemara was not the place to be chasing a fast time. I will never forget my experience - it was fantastic. It was tough and there were parts where it hurt. A lot. But the positives far outweighed the negatives. I met so many lovely people from all over the world. I ran with people who'd been running marathons for years and with people who were running their first like myself. I finished in 4:28 and burst into tears at the finish line. The feeling of achievement was phenomenal. It's a reward for hard work that you have done and it's all your own to claim.

I then took the requisite break that I knew my body needed and just ran for the sake of running. Ran as and how (distance and pace) I wanted and my love for being out on the road just continued to increase.

I then signed up for Dublin 2011 which was 6 months after Connemara. The goal was that elusive sub-4. The training was tough and I pushed myself too hard. I couldn't break 52 mins for 10k and when I fell over the line of the Dublin Half barely breaking 2 hours, I knew there was something up. Finally listening to my body, I went to the doctor only to learn that my bloods were in bits. I decided to ease off (still did the mileage but didn't give a sugar about pace or pushing myself over the edge) and settle for a comfortable 4:15-20. It wasn't fair on my body and I had to be sensible and train sensibly. On the day, I ended up being so rested, and all the slow miles in my legs paid off. I ran a comfortable 3:53 and enjoyed every single minute of the marathan. The Dublin marathon is just fantastic - the crowds and the support are so different to Connemara and it was great in a completely different way.

The next step was the Connemara Ultra which was decided upon over a drunken handshake between myself and Digger in November 2011. When I sobered up and saw sense I questioned what we were signing up to do but both of us were too stubborn to walk away. Training for this was just mileage and mileage and more mileage. Typically there were good runs and bad runs and even worse runs. The bad ones made us doubt the insane distance we were taking on; the good ones made us feel invincible! Part of this journey was the Donadea 50k race and a 30 mile run whereby we parked the car in Bray, got the DART to Howth and ran back. The 3/4 months spent training for this was interesting - I won't go into further detail...

I ran the 2012 Connemara Ultra (39.3miles) in 5:48.10 - the goal had been to break 6 hours - and the feeling crossing the finish line was indescribable. After that, the legs needed a break so a month was spent trotting around doing whatever I wanted/felt like doing. The next goal was the Berlin Marathon at the end of September so I had room for downtime. I joined a club as I decided I could do with some structured trainig and I was luckily offered the luxury of personal coaching for Berlin.

Since then training has gone great and I'm feeling really positive about Berlin. I couldn't believe how well Longford went at the weekend and it just goes to show what anyone can do. Trust me, if I can do it with no history of running/school sports/etc (I was always the one who 'particpated' or got the spirit prizes...), then anyone can do it.

I just wanted to share a (very brief) version of my story with you guys just to show what possibilities are out there. Training is tough and it requires time and dedication and self motivation and all those things that aren't necessarily always easy to come by, but the rewards are more than worth it. Train sensibly. Enjoy the good runs. More importantly, don't forget the bad ones - they're what make us stronger - mentally and physically. Enjoy the journey. Enjoy your first marathon. And enjoy crossing that finish line! I promise you'll swear 'never again'... I also promise, you'll be looking at the marathon diary within 48 hours seeing what the next goal will be!

Wishing you all the very best of luck! :)

Apologies for the rambling but it's what I'm famous for ;) (I also haven't read over the above so apologies for spelling and grammar errors!)

From your picture in FIT, the Longford Half didn't take to much out of you. Fantastic time, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

tang1 wrote: »
    From your picture in FIT, the Longford Half didn't take to much out of you. Fantastic time, well done.

She used to grimace, now she beams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Right.. first post in a while..

Been to the physio a couple of times to try and sort out my knee pain. I had thought it was ITB but she reckons it's overly tight hamstrings, which apparently can feel similar to ITB due to where they meet the knee.. So I've had some pretty painful acupuncture in various parts of my leg. I've also been foam rolling and stretching like never before (and I've always stretched and foam rolled!)

The pain hasn't gone away, but today's run (4) was the first in a while where it wasn't annoying me constantly. In fact it only hurt once, briefly, then went away. So I'm hoping this is the beginning of the end of my knee pain. Similarly, last night's run (7) wasn't as bad as previous runs, however It was still annoying maybe 60% of the time. I'll keep stretching and rolling every day, and before/after runs.. see how it goes.

Interesting reading other posts about eating/diet. I have to force myself to eat more at the moment, I'm really not feeling the hunger. I'm carb loading for the weekend now but am finding it quite difficult to eat probably as much as I should be.

15 mile run this weekend. I've bought a couple of High 5 gels. Gonna try one this evening to test the stomach, and if I'm okay, I'll try one running on Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried mixing the high 5 tabs with a sports drink like Lucozade sport so that you're getting some electrolytes and carbs in one drink. Are there any sports drinks out there that currently give you both??

Cheers.

The likes of Lucozade Sport would have Carbs and electrolytes so dropping a high 5 tab into it would be overkill.
    I'd drop a hi5 into plain water and take gels. If I was getting Lucozade/powerade regularly I'd not need either gels or electrolytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Just back from a LOVELY recovery run :D Pace run last night didn't go too well - legs v tired, asthma acting up, having to stop to take a breather every 5 mins in the middle...- so took it nice and easy tonight on a route I like and got home with smile on my face and remembering why I actually enjoy doing this! Slightly more optimistic about this weekend's 17 miler tonight after that, just need to keep at a comfortable pace
    I'm planning a 17m LSR along part of the DCM route (from Phoenix Park, through Chapelizod to Crumlin Road & home again). I think my pace is too slow (11-12 min/miles) to get a running buddy! :( Also my running schedule is a bit all over the place at the moment. Was offered a job on Monday (both excited & terrified about this!) :D which I should be starting in 3 week, so I'll have to get more of a routine going then! :eek:

Congrats on the job. I usually do bout 11 min miles (not a problem doing slower given the distance;)) and also wanted to branch out a bit from usual routes round D24/D22 so if you're doing the 17 miles this weekend and fancy a running buddy give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Interesting reading other posts about eating/diet. I have to force myself to eat more at the moment, I'm really not feeling the hunger. I'm carb loading for the weekend now but am finding it quite difficult to eat probably as much as I should be.

A lot of people use marathon training as a way of justifying eating everything in sight (I know I do!) - you seem to be different in that you're trying to force yourself to eat more. Don't! Eat healthy, avoid getting hungry, but don't eat extra just because you think you should. For carb loading, there's absolutely no need for it at our level. A regular diet will give you more than enough fuel to get you through 15 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Woohoo! 17 LSR done, longest run to date and felt very comfortable throughout. Definitely had
    more in the tank and could have gone further. Managed a pace of 9.34 min miles and didn't feel pushed at all, which I was pleasantly surprised with as I've done a half marathon, a 15 LSR and now a 17 mile LSR in 11 days, and I was tired after a busy day in work today! 4 miles very slow recovery tomorrow and that's my runs for the week done.

I'm looking forward to going on my hols on Saturday and a step back week next week. Feel really happy with how the last few weeks have gone.

Claralara,many thanks for the post above. It's truly inspirational stuff. I like the bit about enjoying the good runs but not forgetting the bad ones. I think that's a really good attitude to have. Best of luck for Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Electrolyte drink. Any recommendations?

It's been mentioned earlier but I use. High 5 Zero Citrus effervescent tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Well got my lsr done tonight. I ended up running from Albert College park to Sutton hotel along the coast and back again. I went to run in the park on the way home but the gates were locked and it was getting dark so didnt want to chance jumping over the wall and running alone in the park. I had parked beside the park so just hopped into the car and drove home. I ran 16.7 miles which is a little shorter than the planned distance but still good enough.
    My legs don't feel too bad tonight compared to the last two lsrs but had to stop at the shops during the run to get a banana and water. Two bottles on the water belt just doesnt do me.
    Anyway glad thats out of the way for a week and a bit now and hopefully will catch up with some short runs after the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I am so tired this week. I could sleep for Ireland. Usually I do my runs in the afternoon but this week I've been sleeping in the afternoon and running in the evening. It was nearly dark when I got home tonight My breathing is all over the place this week. I'm panting on the recovery runs and the more I'm obsessing about it the more I hyperventilate :( My pace run was crap yesterday. I was just going to run to the shop for my chocolate fix but when I got out I was feeling ok so I pushed up the pace and did a few more miles but it was still crap :(

Claralara thanks for your post. I was with you when you paced 1 50 in portlaoise and I was thrilled with your win in Longford. It must be very satisfying to have put in so much hard work and get the rewards you deserve. Hopefully you'll have another fantastic race in Berlin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Went for 6 miles today along grand canal and back up through Harolds cross/terenure. I'm finding the midweek longer run a pain in the bum. Combination of being tired from work and trying to find time when I get in. Then cooking when I get home, fit for bed once its all done. Not enough hours in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Unfortunately no runs for me for 2 weeks. have strained tendons in arch. Not awfully sore or painful but unfortunately needs complete rest to heal. Still hoping to do dublin half but will take it easy so I can (hopefully) continue to train for DCM. Very disappointing but my own fault, should have gone to physio weeks ago and got it sorted. Hoping to get plenty of cycling and swimming in next 2 weeks to keep fitness levels up. Felt so strange not to be out running this evening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

4 miles done tonight. In a masochistic way I'm kinda looking forward to my 17m LSR on Saturday AM... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Done my 7 mile midweek run tonight.

In from work late enough, straight out and only back in showered and ready for dinner at 10.00pm :eek:

The thoughts of knocking out a 15-17 mile run after work are crazy thoughts for me. Would be after midnight before I got home !

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

rasher_m wrote: »
    Well got my lsr done tonight. I ended up running from Albert College park to Sutton hotel along the coast and back again. I went to run in the park on the way home but the gates were locked and it was getting dark so didnt want to chance jumping over the wall and running alone in the park. I had parked beside the park so just hopped into the car and drove home. I ran 16.7 miles which is a little shorter than the planned distance but still good enough.
    My legs don't feel too bad tonight compared to the last two lsrs but had to stop at the shops during the run to get a banana and water. Two bottles on the water belt just doesnt do me.
    Anyway glad thats out of the way for a week and a bit now and hopefully will catch up with some short runs after the weekend.

Do you drink much water in the day before your lsr. I find it for me more important what i drink the day before I go out (I always go out early in morning) than what I carry around. So far have managed 15 miles on one bottle of water and usually have a bit left over when finished. Everyone different i know.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Do you drink much water in the day before your lsr. I find it for me more important what i drink the day before I go out (I always go out early in morning) than what I carry around. So far have managed 15 miles on one bottle of water and usually have a bit left over when finished. Everyone different i know.

Yeah, was aware of that alright since a few weeks ago...went out on an 18 miler and when I got home I felt really dehydrated but I think that was during that humid spell.
    I drank a few bottles of water yesterday and two bottles today beforehand plus half a litre of Orange Juice.
    I think its just how my body behaves.
    Only thing is that I'm not dehydrated now which is great.
    I actually felt a bit funny tonight around mile 12, started running on the grass in case anything happened but when I got to the shops and had the banana and water I felt fine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Needed new running shoes so went into Runways this evening with the family. My last pair of shoes were neutral so I got my gait tested and it turns out that I'm a mild over-pronator so bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 8s.

On the way home I hopped out of the car with 4 miles to go and ran home. I could definitely feel a big difference in support from the shoe as I was getting some aches and pains in my legs recently. No pains at all this evening.

Roll on my 15 mile LSR on Sat!

npresto wrote: »
    Needed new running shoes so went into Runways this evening with the family. My last pair of shoes were neutral so I got my gait tested and it turns out that I'm a mild over-pronator so bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 8s.

On the way home I hopped out of the car with 4 miles to go and ran home. I could definitely feel a big difference in support from the shoe as I was getting some aches and pains in my legs recently. No pains at all this evening.

I hope you ran back again to drive the family home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Trampas

Getting ready to head out on my 17 mile lsr.

1st run on the marathon course bar running in the park so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

sweep22 wrote: »
    Just back from my 24km LSR (I switched to km recently to get more frequent feedback from my Endomondo app) and I'm feeling pretty damn good about it! This is in stark contrast to the last couple of weeks where I have really struggled to complete the long runs and have had to walk a few miles. I was quite demoralised, stopped posting in this thread, seriously questioned whether I was cut out for all this and came very close to quitting. Especially since I was quite careful about pacing, hydrating, eating, sleeping etc.

Anyway the fact that I came from running zero miles about 10 weeks ago to running non-stop for three hours just blows my mind, and I feel that I've found that drive to succeed again :)

This is a big step when you get things sorted in your head, if your are feeling good and positive it will come around to you on the runs.

Well done for sticking with it and delighted you are out the other end of the tunnel and looking forward to the Marathon.

None of you should lose sight of the fantastic work you have all done so far on this journey.
    Hello all!

....I had so many bad runs in my training for Connemara that really made me question my sanity and or ability. However, the good runs more than made up for the bad ones. I'll never forget finishing my first 20 mile run and sitting on the ground in the papal cross car park while Mr Slow said I looked like I'd just slept with a hanger in my mouth. I'll also never forget my second 20 mile run; every mile of which was a nightmare. I don't know how I got through it. And what's more I don't know how I convinced myself to ever put on my runners again. But I did. Everyone's advice before Connemara was to ENJOY IT! You'll never get your first marathon back. Regardless of what you run, it will be a PB. Luckily for me, Connemara was not the place to be chasing a fast time. I will never forget my experience - it was fantastic. It was tough and there were parts where it hurt. A lot. But the positives far outweighed the negatives. I met so many lovely people from all over the world. I ran with people who'd been running marathons for years and with people who were running their first like myself. I finished in 4:28 and burst into tears at the finish line. The feeling of achievement was phenomenal. It's a reward for hard work that you have done and it's all your own to claim.

The training was tough and I pushed myself too hard. I couldn't break 52 mins for 10k and when I fell over the line of the Dublin Half barely breaking 2 hours, I knew there was something up. Finally listening to my body, I went to the doctor only to learn that my bloods were in bits. I decided to ease off (still did the mileage but didn't give a sugar about pace or pushing myself over the edge) and settle for a comfortable 4:15-20. It wasn't fair on my body and I had to be sensible and train sensibly. On the day, I ended up being so rested, and all the slow miles in my legs paid off. I ran a comfortable 3:53 and enjoyed every single minute of the marathan. The Dublin marathon is just fantastic - the crowds and the support are so different to Connemara and it was great in a completely different way.

....there were good runs and bad runs and even worse runs. The bad ones made us doubt the insane distance we were taking on; the good ones made us feel invincible! .....
    I ran the 2012 Connemara Ultra (39.3miles) in 5:48.10 - the goal had been to break 6 hours - and the feeling crossing the finish line was indescribable. .

I have to thank CLaralara for her wonderful inspirational post, there is so much in her post that reinforces what you have being hearing here in the Novice thread from everyone who has posted and if you check back in a few years time the same things will be in the Novice thread in that year too....

I hope everyone takes something away from her post and this will help you all on your journey!! The fact that she has come so far is a wonderful endorsement of the slow and sensible training and to her own ability to stick with it when the going gets tough, but listens to the body if your know something is not quite right.....

Remember stay positive, keep slow and Enjoy!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

Was also in Runways last night and had my gait test. I'm also a mild over-pronator so walked out with a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 7s (which were on sale). Looking forward to trying them out on a few of the shorter runs next week.

17 mile LSR tomorrow which I'm also looking forward to (did I just write that???). Have a new route mapped out which I find helps mentally. Hopefully avoiding too many of the hills where I live. Going to make sure I'm well hydrated today and have an early night tonight.

Thanks also to claralara for the great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

I bought my Marathon runners yesterday as well! I ordered them online from Sportsshoes.com so hopefully the correct ones arrive!! Wanted to get the exact same pair/model I already have (Asics Nimbus 13) as when I changed runners to a different pair last year I got lots of achilles pain till I switched back......... and this close I don't want to rock the boat! Was my own fault as I just bought the pair that were the best value and that I now realise offered the opposite support my feet need! Next time I will make sure not to change them in the middle of a race training schedule so I will have more confidence to try different ones.

Also doing my 17 miles on the route tomorrow. My run will take in miles 11 - 21 of the route, from Dolphins Barn/Crumlin Road to the bottom of Fosters Avenue.

Downloading an audio book at the moment as was suggested to me here before. Will be interested to see if this makes the time go by easier.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

18km done last night with the second half at pmp (or thereabouts).

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/216895982

A simple recovery run of 8km planned for tonight.

I need to think about getting my marathon runners pretty soon too, as the ones I have will not be in good shape come the end of October. At the moment I alternate two pairs, asics 2160 and 2170. I know there is not supposed to be too much difference between the two pairs, but I find that I have my best runs in the 2160's. My legs are always in bits after a long run in the more modern 2170's. Maybe it's all in my head, but I can certainly feel a difference.

EDIT : Just did a search on the two pairs and came up with this :-

http://drshoereviews.com/2012/02/11/shoe-review-asics-gt-2170-vs-asics-gt-2160/

It seems that there is a world of difference between the two pairs, no wonder I can't run in the 2170's. I can't believe that I actually finished a marathon in them, but it might be part of the reason why my legs quit after 30kms :(

Pity I didnt find this review when I was buying a second pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Have Mizuno Wave Inspire 8s also, got them about 3months ago. Getting on great with them so far. Nice and light for a support shoe too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

tang1 wrote: »

Haha - the sooner that's in the dusty archives, the better!
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    She used to grimace, now she beams :)

I'm still grimacing - part of me feels like I should post the picture from South O'Hanlon 5k in June just so to illustrate that no matter the distance or the time, if you're pushing yourself - it WILL hurt!
    Claralara thanks for your post. I was with you when you paced 1 50 in portlaoise and I was thrilled with your win in Longford. It must be very satisfying to have put in so much hard work and get the rewards you deserve. Hopefully you'll have another fantastic race in Berlin :)

I've been meaning to find you and apologise for that shambles. Well done for staying with us for so long and so sorry about the mess it ended up being with us hooring off to run 14.3 miles in the designated 1 hour 50 minutes. Your training is going great. When is the Kilkenny HM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Just wanted to introduce myself to this thread, been meaning to do it for a while now. I started training around April, have done the three races in the series so far and gearing up to half and then the full in October. Im going to be doing my 17 mile LSR on Saturday morning which if I get through unscathed will be a big confidence boost. Enjoyed reading the thread and will hopefully contribute a wee bit myself!.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

Haven't posted here in a long time,the training is going OK but missed three LSR's due to holidays and a wedding so trying to pick up the mileage nice and slow,hope to do about 12 miles this weekend as a LSR

I have a little niggle at the moment I'm getting a pain at the back of my knee (not behind knee cap, literally the back of my leg, the back of the knee)just wanted to know has any body come across this as well and what is ITB I've read about a few pages back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I've been meaning to find you and apologise for that shambles. Well done for staying with us for so long and so sorry about the mess it ended up being with us hooring off to run 14.3 miles in the designated 1 hour 50 minutes. Your training is going great. When is the Kilkenny HM?
    Deffo no need to apologise. It was all good fun :D Ya happy with the training. Kilkenny is the 16th Sept. Really looking forward to it. Think if it goes well I might do the Athlone 3/4 on Oct 7th as well :D

Advertisement