Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

In fairness I only lost weight because I had it to lose - by both BMI and by body composition I was overweight and had excess body fat. Running at slow speeds seems to have been responsible for burning a lot of that off - in recent weeks I've found that I'm not sweating as profusely on short runs as I was early on in the programme. I'm guessing the easy progress has been made and anything else will be more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

I am losing weight. Not as much as I would have thought, but still. Started off at 14 stone though, so there was plenty work with! Lost about 10 pounds so far which I'm happy with as it's sustainable weight loss and probably not something that will pile back on come November...!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

rasher_m wrote: »
    Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Ended up doing 15.5 miles this evening, that got me exactly to my front door, I refused to run round the block for the extra half mile cos it had been lashing since mile 10 and I was soaked and cold. Was comfortable enough going around, it was actually worse when I stopped, sweet Jesus the pains in my legs! Had my ice bath and I'm good to go now. Was very slow purposely and was much happier that way, have definitely being running the long ones too fast. The worst bit was the last 6 were in the dark and it was raining, I wear glasses and between the dark and wet I couldn't see a bloody thing so really took it slow so I wouldn't trip. Glad to get it out of the way early in the week, no pressure for the weekend now. All that remains is to see can I get to sleep now after it!

Did you feel any more tired doing the lsr only a few days after the last one or was it any different. I'm doing mine tomorrow evening hopefully but I'm worried since I done the last one on Sunday.

Well the last one was the 10 miler race so I suppose that wasn't that long. Think I preferred it midweek actually. I think I'll switch mine to Wednesdays. I'd say you'll be grand doing yours this evening, good luck with it.

I've a question on gels, tried one out last night and soon after taking it I got a bit of a stomach cramp, soon after I thought I might need the loo, I didn't but that kind of discomfort stayed with me. Does that sound like something a gel would cause? I've heard people mention them not agreeing with them. Possibly just a coincidence and I would have felt like that anyway, would like to iron out these problems before the big day!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I've a question on gels, tried one out last night and soon after taking it I got a bit of a stomach cramp, soon after I thought I might need the loo, I didn't but that kind of discomfort stayed with me. Does that sound like something a gel would cause? I've heard people mention them not agreeing with them. Possibly just a coincidence and I would have felt like that anyway, would like to iron out these problems before the big day!

did you drink some water with it? i have read that they are best washed down with water as they can be quite concentrated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Some gels may cause this and the key is to find one that suits you and does not give you cramps or force you to find a toilet!

Did you take water with it? That could be the cause also as you would need to have a drink when taking most of these gels

Trying a few different brands and hopefully you will find one that works!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

Sounds very much like it might have been the gel. Some of the ones I have tried are just so heavy on the tummy. Some say to wash them down with water but then that means all your water is gone... There are some good ones out there that are more like lucozade drinks and much easier to take though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Snap! Off to Italy with the family on Saturday as well, planning to get all my runs in so hoping it's gona cool down (just slightly) over there, been seriously hot last couple of weeks! Snap on the diet as well, been really terrible with eating rubbish lately!
    That's mad! Where abouts in Italy are you going?
    zefer wrote: »
    Good luck with the running over there, I got back on Sat and it was between 33 & 38% every day with about 50-60% humidty, way too hot!! Only got 3 runs in over there, the most being 3 miles

Did just less than 7 miles tonight, including a 4KM race with the club, ended up being like a cross country mud bath but enjoyable smile.gif
    I know, it's been crazy hot over there recently. I think the weather is due to break slightly over the weekend, in Rome at least where we're starting our hols, it's due to get a bit cooler and cloudier. Will just try and get out as early in the morning as possible when it's cooler.

I realise that I probably am going to miss a run or two, but I will try and stick to the plan as much as possible (albeit probably a good bit slower than normal!). I think I remember Mr Slow saying a few weeks ago that hot weather training was good for the training plan, and even if the distances were shorter, it would still be beneficial. Maybe Mr Slow can verify that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

ncmc wrote: »
    I think I remember Mr Slow saying a few weeks ago that hot weather training was good for the training plan, and even if the distances were shorter, it would still be beneficial. Maybe Mr Slow can verify that!

Hot weather training is great for your fitness because it stresses the lungs and heart optimally without taxing the legs, if you were to attempt to reach the same levels of training here your muscles would require a lot more recovery. Go slower than you would at home, drink plenty of water/electrolyte drink before during and after your run and build it up slowly.

Most importantly - Enjoy!!!;)

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Hot weather training is great for your fitness because it stresses the lungs and heart optimally without taxing the legs, if you were to attempt to reach the same levels of training here your muscles would require a lot more recovery. Go slower than you would at home, drink plenty of water/electrolyte drink before during and after your run and build it up slowly.

Electrolyte drink. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Electrolyte drink. Any recommendations?

I actually just use Dioralyte Lee, it's sold as a cure for diarrohea, but it's great for dehydration of any sort. It's cheap and can be bought in any pharmacy.

I know High 5 do an electrolyte tablet that can be dissolved in water as seen in this Groupon deal

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/Discount-Supplements/9728165

If I don't have any Dioralyte, I have been known to add salt to a Robinons juice in water and drink that!

Mr Slow wrote: »

Thanks Mr Slow, that makes a lot of sense. Actually quite looking forward to running while away, we are in Rome, Lake Garda and Tuscany so the scenery should be stunning and I always think it's nice to get a change of scenery for running every now and again!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Thanks Mr Slow, that makes a lot of sense. Actually quite looking forward to running while away, we are in Rome, Lake Garda and Tuscany so the scenery should be stunning and I always think it's nice to get a change of scenery for running every now and again!

Ha ha, might pass each other on a run. We're just going to Lake Garda, think there's a nice lakeside run where we are staying so will packing my garmin and looking forward to getting out early doors to explore and enjoy the scenery. Great way to clear the head after a few glasses of vino!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

I know, it's been crazy hot over there recently. I think the weather is due to break slightly over the weekend, in Rome at least where we're starting our hols, it's due to get a bit cooler and cloudier. Will just try and get out as early in the morning as possible when it's cooler.

ha ha, I also have my finishers top from last year packed so say hello if you see me. Seriously though, have only been hearing reports of the weather and heatwave and been taken it for granted, actually checked the forecast there and it doesn't look too good at all, for Lake Garda anyway for the weekend and right into next week! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

I actually just use Dioralyte Lee, it's sold as a cure for diarrohea, but it's great for dehydration of any sort. It's cheap and can be bought in any pharmacy.

I know High 5 do an electrolyte tablet that can be dissolved in water as seen in this Groupon deal

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/Discount-Supplements/9728165

If I don't have any Dioralyte, I have been known to add salt to a Robinons juice in water and drink that!

Has anyone ever tried mixing the high 5 tabs with a sports drink like Lucozade sport so that you're getting some electrolytes and carbs in one drink. Are there any sports drinks out there that currently give you both??

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Been holidaying in Mayo the last few days and just catching up on here. Did 2 of my runs there - what a great way to explore somewhere new! How lovely for you guys who are heading to Italy - hopefully the heat isn't too bad and you can get out exploring on the run.

I had been getting the tummy cramps after the High 5 gel so did my last LSR without gel and was absolutely fine. I'm thinking of not taking gels during the marathon and just sipping isotonic drinks along with the water. I can eat on the run no probs too so was thinking of taking cereal bars and jelly babies with me too. My question is do you think I will get enough energy this way to see me through to the end? Anyone else considering not using gels?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Runchick wrote: »
    I had been getting the tummy cramps after the High 5 gel so did my last LSR without gel and was absolutely fine. I'm thinking of not taking gels during the marathon and just sipping isotonic drinks along with the water. I can eat on the run no probs too so was thinking of taking cereal bars and jelly babies with me too. My question is do you think I will get enough energy this way to see me through to the end? Anyone else considering not using gels?

I haven't had any bad reaction to gels (I've tried Kinetica, Honey Stinger & Isogel) but I just think they're bleugh. I can also eat as I run / sleep / shower / drive :P so would prefer to stick with cereal bars & jellies (maybe even gel-brand jellies), but did wonder if it would be a bad idea too. Since I'll be out there for 4-5 hours, surely that'll be enough time for a couple of oat bars / pack of jellies to digest & get some energy into my legs?

I haven't had any bad reaction to gels (I've tried Kinetica, Honey Stinger & Isogel) but I just think they're bleugh. I can also eat as I run / sleep / shower / drive :P so would prefer to stick with cereal bars & jellies (maybe even gel-brand jellies), but did wonder if it would be a bad idea too. Since I'll be out there for 4-5 hours, surely that'll be enough time for a couple of oat bars / pack of jellies to digest & get some energy into my legs?

Oooh 'gel-brand jellies', haven't heard of these, have you tried them before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ive tried some, found the gel itself tastier and easier to get. but its a case of each to their own.

anyone going the electrolyte drink tabs way? im going to give it a spin.

training has been tough this week, long run yesterday was a chore and i wasnt near to race pace (about 40-60 seconds slower in fact). i know the lsr at the weekend is going to be a killer. doesnt help im going to a leaving do on Fri night too!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Oooh 'gel-brand jellies', haven't heard of these, have you tried them before?

Well I saw some Honey Stinger jellies in Elverys (the one at the bottom of Grafton St, but they probably have them everywhere). Said on the back of the pack to eat like 3 packs per hour or some mad number, you'd be chewing the whole race! Although some brands recommend 3 gels per hour, which is a bit much at my pace!

I wonder is there a "best" brand of regular jellies for running energy? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Do elite athletes take gels? I watch the odd marathon on TV and I've never noticed anyone popping one, although I did notice some of them picking up what I assume were personally tailored drinks bottles. Maybe that's the way they get the nutrition, if at all?

Just wondering. Maybe gels are performance-enhancing and should be banned ;)

Been holidaying in Mayo the last few days and just catching up on here. Did 2 of my runs there - what a great way to explore somewhere new! How lovely for you guys who are heading to Italy - hopefully the heat isn't too bad and you can get out exploring on the run.

Have you tried the High 5 Iso gels? My understanding is that they are mixed with water so are easier to take than regular gels, that's what i've been having so far and no problems as yet. Think I will just stick with them for DCM, don't fancy a trial and error testing programme as the results could be just too unpleasant :eek:

My problem with eating cereal bars or jellies is that they feel gungy in my mouth when I'm running. I would need to stop and eat them as i'd be afraid i'd choke or something! The Iso gels, while yucky, are easy to take on the move.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Do elite athletes take gels? I watch the odd marathon on TV and I've never noticed anyone popping one, although I did notice some of them picking up what I assume were personally tailored drinks bottles. Maybe that's the way they get the nutrition, if at all?

Just wondering. Maybe gels are performance-enhancing and should be banned ;)
    could well be that they have such specific diets that they wouldnt need the gels as we would.

still, the main thing is not to get too carried away with gels etc, they are good to haves, not exactly need to haves

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

Just back from my 24km LSR (I switched to km recently to get more frequent feedback from my Endomondo app) and I'm feeling pretty damn good about it! This is in stark contrast to the last couple of weeks where I have really struggled to complete the long runs and have had to walk a few miles. I was quite demoralised, stopped posting in this thread, seriously questioned whether I was cut out for all this and came very close to quitting. Especially since I was quite careful about pacing, hydrating, eating, sleeping etc.

Anyway the fact that I came from running zero miles about 10 weeks ago to running non-stop for three hours just blows my mind, and I feel that I've found that drive to succeed again :)

I had to do the LSR today since I'm going to Electric Picnic for the weekend.
    So now off to undo all the good work with lots of beer, music, and sun! (hey why not be optimistic :cool: )

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Haven't posted in a while, running away fine but turned into more of a lurker reading all you're updates every day, great motivation.

Missed the 10 mile on Sat so did a 1/2 marathon in training Monday morning to stick with the HH program. Did it in 1:46:28 so was really happy with that.

Mid week run today was 8m and to think a while ago I would have been dreading that on an LSR!

Its mad having passed the halfway mark and psychologically I def know I can do it now, its just a matter of keeping the training discipline and doing everything i can to stay injury free.

Foam roller made a big difference - (nothing could hurt that much and not be of benefit!) Great for taking the knots out of the calves and IT bands in particular. Not finding it so good on the Hamstrings, prob because the area of muscle is larger.

So full steam ahead, disappointed i missed the 10 mile but all systems go for the 1/2 on Sept 15th.

miguelk wrote: »
    Haven't posted in a while, running away fine but turned into more of a lurker reading all you're updates every day, great motivation.

Missed the 10 mile on Sat so did a 1/2 marathon in training Monday morning to stick with the HH program. Did it in 1:46:28 so was really happy with that.

Mid week run today was 8m and to think a while ago I would have been dreading that on an LSR!

Its mad having passed the halfway mark and psychologically I def know I can do it now, its just a matter of keeping the training discipline and doing everything i can to stay injury free.

Foam roller made a big difference - (nothing could hurt that much and not be of benefit!) Great for taking the knots out of the calves and IT bands in particular. Not finding it so good on the Hamstrings, prob because the area of muscle is larger.

So full steam ahead, disappointed i missed the 10 mile but all systems go for the 1/2 on Sept 15th.

+1 on the foam roller, I think thats the main thing keeping me in the game

And great time for 13 miles!

folan wrote: »
    ive tried some, found the gel itself tastier and easier to get. but its a case of each to their own.

anyone going the electrolyte drink tabs way? im going to give it a spin.

training has been tough this week, long run yesterday was a chore and i wasnt near to race pace (about 40-60 seconds slower in fact). i know the lsr at the weekend is going to be a killer. doesnt help im going to a leaving do on Fri night too!

I've been using the Zero high5 electrolyte drink tabs, they're fine but make sure to make them up just before your run so they're still fizzy, made the mistake of doing it the night before last week and it was flat - not very appealing at all ;)

sweep22 wrote: »
    Just back from my 24km LSR (I switched to km recently to get more frequent feedback from my Endomondo app) and I'm feeling pretty damn good about it! This is in stark contrast to the last couple of weeks where I have really struggled to complete the long runs and have had to walk a few miles. I was quite demoralised, stopped posting in this thread, seriously questioned whether I was cut out for all this and came very close to quitting. Especially since I was quite careful about pacing, hydrating, eating, sleeping etc.

Anyway the fact that I came from running zero miles about 10 weeks ago to running non-stop for three hours just blows my mind, and I feel that I've found that drive to succeed again :)

I had to do the LSR today since I'm going to Electric Picnic for the weekend.
    So now off to undo all the good work with lots of beer, music, and sun! (hey why not be optimistic :cool: )

Thanks for your post sweep22, its great to read about folk getting through a rough phase and coming out the other side, great encouragement for us all :)

miguelk wrote: »

Good stuff, no stopping you now :D

• Advertisement

I've been using the Zero high5 electrolyte drink tabs, they're fine but make sure to make them up just before your run so they're still fizzy, made the mistake of doing it the night before last week and it was flat - not very appealing at all ;)
    how do you find them for energy? i know that theyre mainly for hydration, but theyre supposed to be good for keeping the energy levels up too

Advertisement