Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

briggy wrote: »
    I don't think they should add an Oireachtas Channel it would be a waste because it would be fairly boring. They should focus on other entertainment channels, I know we have enough already. Oh and the music channels seem good hopefully there won't be a country music channel and if they bring out a music channel I hope it's not just focused on pop music like most of the English ones hopefully it will play all genres.

I want to see how many of the bastards show up for work

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Elmo wrote: »
    The only definate is TG4 HD and that is only part time HD like RTÉ Two possibly even less.

But Elmo. It's in Wikipedia so what more proof do you want? :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Elmo wrote: »
    I like the way someone has written beside 3Kids Similar to CITV.

The only definate is TG4 HD and that is only part time HD like RTÉ Two possibly even less.

So somebody just posted all that up on Wikipedia for the laugh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

parasite wrote: »
    saw something on tg4 news about tg4 showing peil na mban final in HD, don't know if it's on saorview or they're confused and just filming it in HD
    If it's a very wet day in Croke Park, then we should all be able to have a clearer view of all the fake tan running off the players! Seriously though, good move TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

briggy wrote: »
    So somebody just posted all that up on Wikipedia for the laugh?

The TG4 announcement was made by TG4 so I assume it is true.

The other channels suggested on wikipedia come from a report written by the BAI after they had received Expressions of Interest for TV channels. The report includes details of the following channels: -

TV3 HD, TV3+1, 3KIDS/3CLASSICS
    Cula4/TG4+1
    The Irish Film Board Channel
    The Oireachtas TV Channel
    Chillie Hits (a music channel)
    Irish TV (a music channel)

and radio stations: -

Raidio RiRa
    All 80's Radio
    Easy FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So still close to fantasy. BAI still believe in Irish Terrestrial pay TV.

I suppose we should now make it clear that TG4 HD "lite"/"bóg" will start out on ...... UPC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i was speaking to someone on friday when paying my tv licence, i asked them about this soarview, and they said that down the line we will be charged per month. i have my sky and have no notion of switching over if this be the case, looking at all the charges this government i would not be surprised if this is the case,
    i would like to ask, if it is the case that we will be charged per month or yr for this soarview,

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

goat2 wrote: »
    i was speaking to someone on friday when paying my tv licence, i asked them about this soarview, and they said that down the line we will be charged per month. i have my sky and have no notion of switching over if this be the case, looking at all the charges this government i would not be surprised if this is the case,
    i would like to ask, if it is the case that we will be charged per month or yr for this soarview,
    Whoever told you that should keep their mouth shut, since they clearly are clueless and uninformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

There is talk of changing the licence fee to cover more options such as watching on PCs but SaorView emphasise on their ads that it is "free for ever".

• Advertisement

There is talk of changing the licence fee to cover more options such as watching on PCs but SaorView emphasise on their ads that it is "free for ever".

It should be added there is talk of changing the way we pay the licence fee e.g. on an Electrical bill, regardless of if you have a TV or not.

And also talk that a new pay TV provider might sit beside Saorview. But Saorview would remain free.

@goat2 you can avail of the FTA channels on Satellite and install Saorview for the Irish channels, all you need is a TV licence.

No. If the TV licence ever has a per month option, it will apply to almost everyone. Nothing to do with charging for Saorview. Even at the minute if you only have UPC cable or Sky, those charges are IN ADDITION to any TV licence, current annual or even if there is a per month option.

Saorview is free in the same sense that Analogue TV or Freesat TV is free, and will remain so.

You are conflating "Subscription" (pay TV only) and TV Licence (anybody getting any TV by any method).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

any news on subsidies or rebates for license holders who buy new equipment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

any news on subsidies or rebates for license holders who buy new equipment ?

The Minister has said in recent and previous Dáil replies on the subject of switchover assistance - "I do not propose to introduce grant schemes for the purpose of digital switchover"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Cush wrote: »
    The Minister has said in recent and previous Dáil replies on the subject of switchover assistance - "I do not propose to introduce grant schemes for the purpose of digital switchover"

......even for RTE. (Especially for RTE):)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why should he.
    Nobody was given a free 405 TV.
    Nobody was given a free 625 TV when 405 shut down...

...and in real financial terms the cost of adding a Saorview box to an existing TV is far far less than any previous introduction of a new TV standard cost in terms of what was needed to receive it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

RTE's simulcast 405 line service was effectively a "grant" to those who already owned those sets, saved them buying a new one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RTE's simulcast 405 line service was effectively a "grant" to those who already owned those sets, saved them buying a new one.
    LOL
    towards the end it was a 405 camera pointing at at TV :pac:

Did they not do the same for the past year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am glad to hear that soarview is free to all, and just the yearly licence that apply, because i was thinking of putting a tv in my bedroom for winter and using a set top receiver to get the soarview, and the information i received had put me off, as i dont want to be trying to wire up sky to the room as it is too far away from either sitting room or kitchen,
    thanks guys for putting me right on this,
    can anyone recommend a nice neat ariel that i can put on windowsill inside for the soarview,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

can anyone recommend a nice neat ariel that i can put on windowsill inside for the soarview,

The use of an indoor aerial will depend on your proximity to a Saorview transmitter and how good the signal strength/quality is where you locate the aerial. Saorview recommends an outdoor aerial but in good signal strength areas the indoor aerial can receive an adequate signal.

As for an aerial recomedation there's been a lot of discussion here in the forum recently on indoor aerials, do a search here for possible recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AHireland2k11

RTE Two is gone terrible for sport. It used to be way better with Premiership live why can they not have it back I would love if they created an RTE Sport channel

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Ahmmmmmm - The Premiership is closed for the summer.
    You're gonna be up to your neck with Olympics starting Friday.
    RTÉ aint Sky or the BBC.. They can go all Euro Championships, World Cup or Olympics for a few weeks but not 24/7- 365/,,,,, BBC can't even afford that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

I don't think he's talking about the English premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I don't think he's talking about the English premiership.
    The premier league is out of season until mid August. There will be a great feast of sport when the Olympics start up next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I sent an email to the Department of communications asking when we can expect an announcement from the Minister for Communications about consent for the proposed new channels for SAORVIEW and this is the reply i got back.

The Minister is very keen to see new channels being made available on SAORVIEW as soon as possible and has given the go ahead to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) to progress, to ensure that the successful applicants have been informed and continue to be interested. Following this any new Irish broadcast channels will need the correct authorisations in the form of a broadcast contract from BAI or in the form of Consent from the Minister for new TG4 or RTE content.

Best Regards

Susan Fleming

Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
    29-31 Adelaide Road,
    Dublin 2.

I suppose there is nothing there that we already didn't know.

but how come they do not show live premier league like back a few years ago pity like live matches they dont even show heineken cup live dats the benefit of sky dere is nothing on saorview only gud aul 3e comedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think that was down to Setantas move into the Irish market. RTE can't compete, even with a twopenny outfit like Setanta.

mike65 wrote: »
    I think that was down to Setantas move into the Irish market. RTE can't compete, even with a twopenny outfit like Setanta.
    Why dont they buy setanta and put it on saorview then it wu dbe class

• Advertisement

Who buy it?
    Setanta is a PAY TV channel. Otherwise it wouldn't exist. It may yet go entirely bust.

Advertisement