Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Back to Saorview Content Speculation...
    I see 7 new TEST channels on the Three Rock Transmitter.
    I haven't retuned for a while, so that may be ongoing for a while.
    However, I did not see any comment in the forum.

Do they prepare something?

The Ireland Film Channel????:)

No they are testing Mux 2 on and off for the past year.

If TV3 are really aiming for a HD channel then that is what will be placed their first. Other channels unlikely as Department and BAI really don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

I hope they add an RTÉ Sport and Movie channel aswell as update other channels to HD like RTÉ One and TV 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

briggy wrote: »
    I hope they add an RTÉ Sport and Movie channel aswell as update other channels to HD like RTÉ One and TV 3.

No RTÉ Sport and Movie channels planned.

At some point in the future you might see an Oireachtas Channel and Irish Film Board channel.

See this previous thread about the BAI's plan to use spare capacity - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056195645

The BAI have told the minister the following channels might appear

Irish Film Channel (This is also outlined in the Creative Capital report which was over seen by the Dept of Comms and Dept of Arts, and also the Broadcasting Act)
    Oireachtas TV (mmmm Currently on UPC, and they have employed another consultant on the setting up of this channel, also set out in the broadcasting act)
    TV3 have plans for TV3 Classics/TV3 Kids and TV3 +1 and TV3HD.
    TG4 have plans for Cula4/TG4+1 (and are in the process of investigating HD).
    Chillie Hits (a music channel)
    Irish TV (a music channel, which I am a bit worried is a country music service)

Expect in a year or two IMO

TV3 HD
    TV3 +1
    TG4 +1

even they are maybes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Maybe "The Ulster Bank Channel"??? You know its there but there is nothing on it...lol;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Aren't these proposed channels waiting for consent by Minister Rabbitte? I thought we would have heard something on this by now. It would also be nice to know if some of these channels still plan to launch in the near future or in a couple of years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

saw something on tg4 news about tg4 showing peil na mban final in HD, don't know if it's on saorview or they're confused and just filming it in HD

Aren't these proposed channels waiting for consent by Minister Rabbitte? I thought we would have heard something on this by now. It would also be nice to know if some of these channels still plan to launch in the near future or in a couple of years time.

The most recent information on this from a Dáil question back in March - http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/03/27/00273.asp#N2

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): I propose to take Questions Nos. 366 and 367 together.

In 2011, the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) undertook a process which involved seeking expressions of interest from any broadcasters or content providers interested in providing additional broadcast services on the RTÉ Saorview platform. This process was undertaken in accordance with the additional functions conferred on the BAI by way of Statutory Instrument No. 67 of 2011. The BAI submitted its initial report on the expressions of interest process in May 2011 and the report indicated some broadcaster interest in using SAORVIEW, including a proposal from TG4. Since then, my Department has actively engaged with the BAI on the detail of this report and has sought a number of clarifications concerning the implementation of the Report’s recommendations. I can confirm that the necessary clarifications were provided last week to my Department and my officials are now preparing a recommendation to me in regard to the specific additional channels to be carried on SAORVIEW. I expect to have this recommendation very shortly. Once I have made my decision on the recommendation, contact will be made with the successful applicants in regard to their proposed new services.

Should TG4 be amongst these successful applicants, section 103 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 requires that, as a public service broadcasting corporation, a Public Value Test shall be carried out on any new services proposed by them. As part of this process, I am required, as Minister, to consult with the BAI as to the sectoral impact of any such proposals. This Sectoral Impact Assessment is undertaken by the BAI in accordance with the provisions of section 100 of the Broadcasting Act 2009.

parasite wrote: »
    saw something on tg4 news about tg4 showing peil na mban final in HD, don't know if it's on saorview or they're confused and just filming it in HD

Interesting all right

http://www.tg4.ie/en/corporate/news-releases/2012/090712.html
    http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player/tg4-player.html?id=1727837468001&title=Nuacht

Part 2 of TG4 Nuacht. 4mins into the second part.

Elmo wrote: »

Thanks for the links. Thread on the TG4 tender from last year here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056350278

Looks like they are going HD before the end of Sept. Second mux on-air by the end of Sept?
    Mr Ó Gallchóir also highlighted a major technological innovation in TG4’s coverage of the 2012 All-Ireland Finals. “We are now poised to move up from Standard Definition to High Definition (HD) format,” he said. “It is a mark of the importance we place on Peil Gael na mBan that TG4 will inaugurate this innovation in our All-Ireland Finals coverage from Croke Park on September 30th. HD provides a much clearer, sharper picture on screen, with more natural colours and the option of surround sound. It really is a súil eile”.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/corporate/news-releases/2012/090712.html
    TG4 announce a 3 Year sponsorship extension of the Ladies Gaelic Football Championship TG4 also to make the move to HD on Ladies All Ireland Final Day.

http://hoganstand.com/ladies/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=173047

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Thanks for the links. Thread on the TG4 tender from last year here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056350278

Looks like they are going HD before the end of Sept? Second mux on-air by the end of Sept?

The only prob I have is with the word poised: -
    We are now poised to move up from Standard Definition to High Definition (HD) format

Sorry, The Cush I must be having an off day.

The BAI have told the minister the following channels might appear

Irish Film Channel (This is also outlined in the Creative Capital report which was over seen by the Dept of Comms and Dept of Arts, and also the Broadcasting Act)
    Oireachtas TV (mmmm Currently on UPC, and they have employed another consultant on the setting up of this channel, also set out in the broadcasting act)
    TV3 have plans for TV3 Classics/TV3 Kids and TV3 +1 and TV3HD.
    TG4 have plans for Cula4/TG4+1 (and are in the process of investigating HD).
    Chillie Hits (a music channel)
    Irish TV (a music channel, which I am a bit worried is a country music service)

Expect in a year or two IMO

TV3 HD
    TV3 +1
    TG4 +1

even they are maybes :rolleyes:

I don't think they should add an Oireachtas Channel it would be a waste because it would be fairly boring. They should focus on other entertainment channels, I know we have enough already. Oh and the music channels seem good hopefully there won't be a country music channel and if they bring out a music channel I hope it's not just focused on pop music like most of the English ones hopefully it will play all genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

I don't think they should add an Oireachtas Channel it would be a waste because it would be fairly boring. They should focus on other entertainment channels, I know we have enough already. Oh and the music channels seem good hopefully there won't be a country music channel and if they bring out a music channel I hope it's not just focused on pop music like most of the English ones hopefully it will play all genres.

i don't know - i do like the bickering and the sarcasm that plays out in our dysfunctional government :P in all seriousness though I welcome a channel dedicated to politics - even if it doesn't interest all it will allow for better transparency and also allow people to watch and develop an interest in our political and civic system of governance if they so choose to explore it :)

i don't know - i do like the bickering and the sarcasm that plays out in our dysfunctional government :P in all seriousness though I welcome a channel dedicated to politics - even if it doesn't interest all it will allow for better transparency and also allow people to watch and develop an interest in our political and civic system of governance if they so choose to explore it :)

I suppose yeah, maybe it wouldn't interest me because I'm not that old. :P Not saying you are or anybody interested in the channel is.

I suppose yeah, maybe it wouldn't interest me because I'm not that old. :P Not saying you are or anybody interested in the channel is.

LOL Ever since ive passed 25 ive been called old :P:P:P:D

LOL Ever since ive passed 25 ive been called old :P:P:P:D

Not that old.... 8 years older than me :P

Not that old.... 8 years older than me :P

Well whoever said that we have to age gracefully! :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I'm horrified at the thought of additional tv3 channels.. Let alone +1's

What a waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

The British have a parliament channel. The Americans have a parliamentary channel. Why shouldn't we have one on Saorview?

pa990 wrote: »
    I'm horrified at the thought of additional tv3 channels.. Let alone +1's

What a waste
    In fairness, 3 Classics might be interesting.

• Advertisement

endakenny wrote: »
    In fairness, 3 Classics might be interesting.

19:00 Messer Tylak and Rooney
    19:30 Speakeasy
    20:00 Midday
    21:00 Emmerdale
    21:30 Coronation Street
    22:00 The Scissor Sisters
    23:00 Stories that Shook Ireland
    00:00 Ellen

:D can't wait!

Any just to point out the move of 3e to channel 5 on saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

On the days when Dáil broadcasts are available on Saorview, they are covered by RTÉ One, TG4 & RTÉ News Now simultaneously. If the Oireachtas channel was made available on Saorview it would free up air time on RTÉ & TG4. Presumably RTÉ NN would still broadcast irregardless as it would be a news/current affairs item anyway. Yet it could be used as a fill in channel for live sport etc. on weekends. The other channels which you refer to are presumably the UK channels, officially these are only available here as paid subscription channels even though they are available FTA on satellite without a (Sky) subscription & Saorview doesn't have a pay TV option (yet).

On the days when Dáil broadcasts are available on Saorview, they are covered by RTÉ One, TG4 & RTÉ News Now simultaneously. If the Oireachtas channel was made available on Saorview it would free up air time on RTÉ & TG4. Presumably RTÉ NN would still broadcast irregardless as it would be a news/current affairs item anyway. Yet it could be used as a fill in channel for live sport etc. on weekends. The other channels which you refer to are presumably the UK channels, officially these are only available here as paid subscription channels even though they are available FTA on satellite without a (Sky) subscription & Saorview doesn't have a pay TV option (yet).

BBC Parliment runs 24/7 I don't want to see this.

OTV 10:00 - 19:00
    Film Channel 19:00 - 02:00

Simple

That's not what will be on 3 Classics:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Saorview#Future_channels_and_events
    3Classics (A classic Irish documentary and film service from TV3, timeshared with 3Kids, will be similar to Film 4)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

BBC Parliment runs 24/7 I don't want to see this.

OTV 10:00 - 19:00
    Film Channel 19:00 - 02:00

Simple

Yep, I already suggested that it could timeshare, be it for special events, sport or movies whatever with - nobody knows yet......................

Yep, I already suggested that it could timeshare, be it for special events, sport or movies whatever with - nobody knows yet......................

And the IFB and the House of the Oireachtas are not talking to each other about it so how could it happen.

@endakenny I was joking.

Sounds like 3e :eek::D

endakenny wrote: »

It says September 2012, Does that mean those channels are set to release in September of this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

And back to back episodes of Eurotrash please. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

It says September 2012, Does that mean those channels are set to release in September of this year?

I like the way someone has written beside 3Kids Similar to CITV.

The only definate is TG4 HD and that is only part time HD like RTÉ Two possibly even less.

Advertisement