Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Good things written about him here:

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/article.aspx?Id=1452211

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Quinn Rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Bagsy Super Quinn,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

These highlights reels should come with a health warning , but yes I can't wait to see him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

He’s a big lad, very solid for 21 year old. Would presume he’s a strong scrummager and his high lights reel do show him winning plenty of lineouts. Reminds me of Kobus Wiese. Would be a good counterfoil to Toner as long as he’s a strong lineout operator. I thought a couple of times the lineout suffered when Cullen and Thorne played together.

Hopefully we won't have too many Quinn Sin Bin situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

FYI Damian Browne is contracted with Leinster for next year, this is confirmed via the Leinster branch

FYI Damian Browne is contracted with Leinster for next year, this is confirmed via the Leinster branch

**** yes

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good for him, deserves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Is there a competition in Irish rugby to see who has the biggest squad?

profitius wrote: »
    Is there a competition in Irish rugby to see who has the biggest squad?

It's Munster, every time. (If we're counting Academy + first squad then it might be closer).

Leinster have a pretty decent turnover rate in terms of fringe / squad players.

Munster seem to keep them forever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Roux is on the bench for the Stormers on Saturday vs the Lions, on Sky Sports at 4 PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

TBH I was hoping for a more established NIQ lock. Whilst the Quinn fella looks like a monster, it's hard to tell in that show reel as he's playing U21 level in most of the clips. Kinda like the way Henderson looks like a brute at the JWC, infact he's actually quite light..

I think we need a Hinesy type character there. Or am I just being too attached to him? I think with the possibility of losing Cullen before the end of the season, and having some young players (Denton, Keogh, Flanagan) there, it'd be good to get someone with a bit of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Ive tickets to Stormers v Rebels 14th July so ill be able check him out then. Leinster jacket a must so..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

According to that article he'll be here after the Super 15 tournament so won't be playing Currie Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

.ak wrote: »
    TBH I was hoping for a more established NIQ lock.../QUOTE]

Is that an option though? There may be pressure (even official or not) to sign another project player rather than already capped NIQ, especially if they're trying to negotiate with the Union for some flexibility on the new NIQ rules to keep Nacewa. A promising project player might be the best they could do within the existing constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ambid wrote: »
    Is that an option though? There may be pressure (even official or not) to sign another project player rather than already capped NIQ, especially if they're trying to negotiate with the Union for some flexibility on the new NIQ rules to keep Nacewa. A promising project player might be the best they could do within the existing constraints.

I'd be surprised if he was a project player. The supersport article linked earlier (http://www.supersport.com/rugby/article.aspx?Id=1452211) says:
    Roux was considered to be ahead of Etzebeth on the pecking order at the Stormers at the start of the season.

That to me would suggest he could be a potential Bok given a good run of games. Not sure he'd move over here to be a project player if that were the case.

If he's a potential bok then coming here is career suicide no?

He's hardly coming for the money is he? At his age?

Irish granny I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

That would make our second row line up for next season:

Browne, Cullen, Denton, Flanagan, Roux & Toner

Not exactly world class stuff, but 4 very young second rows which is great, and Denton and Roux a bit of an unknown quantity. If either of them lives up to their supposed potential, we'll be doing extremely well. If they both do, we're in great health.

I think Toner is up to being a first teamer, but he needs a meatball playing beside him. He linked up very well with Thorn, and hopefully this Roux lad can fit into that mould.

But as I say, if Denton and Roux end up being top quality, along with Toner and Browne, that's pretty decent.

I think Cullen is a bit long in the tooth at this stage. I'd rather see him as the man from the bench.

Who would be the first team combo then?

Based on speculation on the new signings, I reckon Roux / Toner and Browne / Denton could be good combo's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think Toner should be starting the big games, so partnerships should be worked around him (unless he suffers a dramatic loss of form obviously).

Know next to nothing about Denton or Roux, but I've seen Denton described as "athletic", and as a result I suspect he is more POC than Thorn, which wouldn't work great in a partnership with Toner. In an ideal world Roux will play the Thorn role and excel at it, but you never know how these things will work out.

Hopefully we will get a good look at them early in the season and things should start to fall into place after a few weeks. Hopefully anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

To be honest, I'm purely speculating on Denton and Roux, I've never actually senn either of them play!! :D Just trying to form an opinion of them from what I read.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Leinster have won the HEC three times. In 08/09, 10/11, and 11/12. In each of these three season Toner made 6 or more appearance in the HEC.

In the years that we didn't win it Toner made no starts at all and played only 10 mins in total.

Toner for President :pac:

Its only a gap year stint for Roux apparently

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/article.aspx?Id=1452661

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Whats the craic with Brad Thorn's name appearing again. Is this a SA oversight? I wouldn't have thought that Brad would return again next off season. That man needs a rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Winters wrote: »
    Whats the craic with Brad Thorn's name appearing again. Is this a SA oversight? I wouldn't have thought that Brad would return again next off season. That man needs a rest!

Leinster hinted that they may try and get him again for the end of this season. The Japanese league doesn't actually start till september and only goes till the start of January next year (With WC last year I don't think it started till later)so he is getting a good bit of a rest now anyway.

In relation to Roux if it is less then a one year deal like it seems I don't really see the point from a Leinster perspective as obviously he is expecting game time if he is coming so he will only be taking valuable game time from someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Leinster hinted that they may try and get him again for the end of this season. The Japanese league doesn't actually start till september and only goes till the start of January next year (With WC last year I don't think it started till later)so he is getting a good bit of a rest now anyway.

In relation to Roux if it is less then a one year deal like it seems I don't really see the point from a Leinster perspective as obviously he is expecting game time if he is coming so he will only be taking valuable game time from someone else

Maybe it's part of a genius Leinster ploy, he comes over, can't break into the squad/gets injured/has questionable team ethic or morals/A N Other excuse and is released early thus ensuring Leinster need an emergency 2nd row.

Then comes the phone call.... "Hello Brad? What you up to from January to May mate?" :D

Has there been any official Leinster comment on the Roux signing? There doesn't seem to be anything on their website about it.

It could actually be a very good move for the club to do this and possible create a relationship with Western Province / The Stormers about short term or season loans for inexperienced or peripheral players.

The pre season fixture list has been announced:

Saturday, 11th August: Leinster v Gloucester (Tallaght Stadium, 5pm)

Saturday, 18th August: Northampton Saints v Leinster (Franklin's Gardens, 3pm)

Friday, 24th August: Sale Sharks v Leinster (City of Salford Community Stadium, 8pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If he's only here for a season I'd be a bit disappointed with the signing. We need an established player, what's the point in developing a player whose not the finished article, or close to it, only for him to leave at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Maybe it's part of a genius Leinster ploy, he comes over, can't break into the squad/gets injured/has questionable team ethic or morals/A N Other excuse and is released early thus ensuring Leinster need an emergency 2nd row.

Then comes the phone call.... "Hello Brad? What you up to from January to May mate?" :D

So signing Steven Sykes was a conspiracy?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement