Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Are people still having problems with 3 (Three) network coverage/ signal??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Davie89 wrote: »
    Whats the leather one like? It looks quite nice? Does it fit okay?

I got a gel one in the post today. It does not fit right at all. Avoid. The seller is Flaaskmart_uk on ebay.ie. Sending it back!

The Gel one I linked to fits perfectly but as I said I felt mine needed a bit more protection.

The leather one fits perfectly, no issues whatsoever. Will defo help the device stand up to the abuse it will no doubt get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Are people still having problems with 3 (Three) network coverage/ signal??

yep. Not the phones fault though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

For anyone that wants to unlock their S3 I found this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1718665

I bought mine of a guy on Gumtree and he said it was unlocked but when I put a spare O2 micro SIM in it asked for a network unlock code. I didn't mind as my actual contract is with Vodafone and it's locked to that network so all worked out in the end.

Cheers,
    M

I have the same issue with the S3 and also with the S2 on 3 network. Always seems to see the R icon over the signal bar, which I was told means that that I'm on vodaphone 2g coverage for voice/text but no 3G signal.

Does that mean you can always receive texts and calls? and that your signal issues are just that you have no 3G signal for the internet and video calls?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Pebble Blue just came back in stock on Meteor.ie for anyone waiting for it;
    https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-III

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

A few people waiting on three for the blue one will be getting good news today too.

Does that mean you can always receive texts and calls? and that your signal issues are just that you have no 3G signal for the internet and video calls?

Yes when you have it set to the default gms/wmdca mode you'll switch to vodafone network if your out of 3 coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

has anyone got the pebble blue recently?

been trying to get it on meteor but they wont let me cause im not a new customer even though i'm due an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

kippy wrote: »
    The Gel one I linked to fits perfectly but as I said I felt mine needed a bit more protection.

The leather one fits perfectly, no issues whatsoever. Will defo help the device stand up to the abuse it will no doubt get.

Are all the ports accessible while the cover is on yeah?

• Advertisement

Yes when you have it set to the default gms/wmdca mode you'll switch to vodafone network if your out of 3 coverage.

Theres no charge for using the vodafone network is there? I presume Three have a deal with them?

Sorry for all the qs!

Theres no charge for using the vodafone network is there? I presume Three have a deal with them?

Sorry for all the qs!

No problem. Yeah there's no charge at all, you just switch over automatically. Apart from a few no 3G signal issues every once in a while, 3 is the best deal I've ever had on a payg plan. Really is brilliant!

No problem. Yeah there's no charge at all, you just switch over automatically. Apart from a few no 3G signal issues every once in a while, 3 is the best deal I've ever had on a payg plan. Really is brilliant!

Sound. Thinkin of getting Three on Bill Pay, wouldve gotten it by now if I didnt read so many bad reviews of the network here. Pretty sure ill get it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Sound. Thinkin of getting Three on Bill Pay, wouldve gotten it by now if I didnt read so many bad reviews of the network here. Pretty sure ill get it now though.

Check out Meteor, imo they are the best value for this at the moment. That and I cannot complain about the quality of the network at all, ive been with them for 3 years now and always good to deal with.

Wife picked up hers blue one just now. Setting it up and so on. It's a close call between the white and blue, they both look fab.

If I didn't have the white I suppose I would always get a darker phone but now I have the white this last (almost) month, its opened a new world of choice and I really do love how it looks!

god's toy wrote: »
    Wife picked up hers blue one just now. Setting it up and so on. It's a close call between the white and blue, they both look fab.

If I didn't have the white I suppose I would always get a darker phone but now I have the white this last (almost) month, its opened a new world of choice and I really do love how it looks!

I love my white one too, having always had dark phones i'm liking the change of scenery. Personally glad I didnt go for a blue one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

This is kind of a random question but theres always some with an answer :)

I downloaded a few apps from the Samsung App Hub "thingy", and for the past week I have that little notification above the app icon, with the number 1, now obviously I know this is usually due to an update being available for an app etc but there is none?

Anyone know how to clear these? I tried wiping the cache and data but no luck. It just annoying everytime I unlock the phone I see it.

Thanks,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi

Thinking of getting an s3 and ditching my iPhone 4.

Just a quick question on firmware updates:

Who issues these? With apple, you get the new iOS from them and that's it.

With android, as I understand it, there are 2 things going on: the OS and the UI, one coming from google and one coming from the handset manufacturer.

Is that correct?

So if I go with the S3, I may get a UI update from Samsung that might change the way it looks and how I interct with it, and then I may get another update from google that changes sonething under the bonnet. Is that how it works? How well do the phones cope with newer versions of the OS? Will I get a couple I years out of the S3 before it won't be able to run the latest firmware?

Sorry for the newbie questions, it just seems a bit more complex than iOS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

With Android you will never receive an update directly from Google. Once Google release an update, Samsung will make their changes to it and then this is what you will download.

Here is a good vid on utube showing what you can connect to your S3.
    Ok it's 27mins long (full HD too) but it's really opened my eyes to how I can use this phone now :) USB Dongles, Keyboards, mice, Controllers, Hard-drives, and more, but all at once?? yep!.

*me rushing out for a host mode connector!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IiRyigUH0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Hi

Thinking of getting an s3 and ditching my iPhone 4.

Just a quick question on firmware updates:

Who issues these? With apple, you get the new iOS from them and that's it.

With android, as I understand it, there are 2 things going on: the OS and the UI, one coming from google and one coming from the handset manufacturer.

Is that correct?

So if I go with the S3, I may get a UI update from Samsung that might change the way it looks and how I interct with it, and then I may get another update from google that changes sonething under the bonnet. Is that how it works? How well do the phones cope with newer versions of the OS? Will I get a couple I years out of the S3 before it won't be able to run the latest firmware?

Sorry for the newbie questions, it just seems a bit more complex than iOS.

If you own one of the Nexus phones, their updates come direct from Google. Nexus phones come with unchanged Android straight from Google. Samsung put TouchWiz over Android, HTC put Sense over Android.

Nexus phones get an update almost immediately, but you'd be waiting a month or two for the other manufacturers, as AlmightCushion said, to make their additions/adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

If you own one of the Nexus phones, their updates come direct from Google. Nexus phones come with unchanged Android straight from Google. Samsung put TouchWiz over Android, HTC put Sense over Android.

Nexus phones get an update almost immediately, but you'd be waiting a month or two for the other manufacturers, as AlmightCushion said, to make their additions/adjustments.

So does that mean that the OS will behave differently depending on manufacturer? So in 6 months time I might update the OS and the phone might be a little better, but someone who bought a cheaper phone might get a much better update because their manufacturer put more effort in?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Generally no. Take the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Nexus for example. They both run Android 4.0.4.

They'll run exactly the same apps in exactly the same way. They'll just look a bit different because Samsung slap their own custom user interface on top of the "straight-from-Google" Android user interface.

Also, best thing about Android phones in general is the ability to root them. You can install any ROM you want to manipulate the phones functionality without having to depend on the manufacturer to come out with an update.

Check out xda-developers.com for rooting information!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

teh s3 will have a huge selection of roms also im guessing...
    i have no reason to root the phone so far, like it as it is... maybe having an easier acess brightness option somewhere (was thinking in the dragdown where wifi,mobile data etc are)
    second thing is stock keyboard is shockingly poor...
    not gonna complain though.

kenyard wrote: »
    second thing is stock keyboard is shockingly poor...
    not gonna complain though.

Swiftkey 3 came out fully today, worth the small pricetag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Coming from an S2, all I can say is WoW! :D
    Side by side the S3 doesn't look that much bigger really (it's kinda like the S2 ate all the pies).

A full 24 hours later, lots of "new toy" usage and it's still at 54%. That's stock ROM with no tweaking yet. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

its a great phone and ditto about the battery.

Was at a family event last night and two others have the GS3 - I enabled the share shot feature and it automatically shared any photos taken by any of the 3 GS3!

Very very neat.
    Coming from an S2, all I can say is WoW! :D
    Side by side the S3 doesn't look that much bigger really (it's kinda like the S2 ate all the pies).

A full 24 hours later, lots of "new toy" usage and it's still at 54%. That's stock ROM with no tweaking yet. So far so good.

I do love S beam! Just testing it with the wife's s3 and it really is as simple as put the backs together and tap the screen. No setting up, no password, no hassle. Flawless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Advertisement