Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Interesting thing just happened. I'm signed up for these I reach surveys. I just completed one on tv viewing. It was all about the ITV's and sky thinking of putting them on the epg:D. Obviously I told them I watched them through "other channels" and would be delighted to have them on the epg. I wonder could it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I have the old white sky+ box its not like the black hd ones at all. I looked at some of the pictures in the tread and my sky menu is also different. It's the old version with no pictures just all text and the list of channels take up the whole page.

I can get channel 5 in other channels and I can also get it by plugging out the sky box taking out the viewing card and then plugging the box back in. But I cant record this way.

My question is: Is there any way possible for me to record channel 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

padocon wrote: »
    I have the old white sky+ box its not like the black hd ones at all. I looked at some of the pictures in the tread and my sky menu is also different. It's the old version with no pictures just all text and the list of channels take up the whole page.

I can get channel 5 in other channels and I can also get it by plugging out the sky box taking out the viewing card and then plugging the box back in. But I cant record this way.

I think you need a sky+ hd box to do the trick. That would be the only way to record Channel 5 and by the sounds of things not for much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

padocon wrote: »

I record from ITV1HD and Channel 5 now and then - Try doing what I do :

--- Reboot your box so that C5 is on 105 as you say you've done before, wait until the programme you wish to record is about to start, just as it starts insert your card and push "R" - the show starts recording but then the EPG reverts to the Irish one, however, the show continues to record until it's finished - you can watch it back from the planner as normal.

--- Obviously this method only records while you're there to start it -- you cannot set it to record when you're out unless you've a HD box and do "the card trick" mentioned above.

I cannot do the trick as both my boxes are Thomson which don't allow it...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mofty

Got my card today, works perfect...

• Advertisement

We had a power cut yesterday and i attempted the card trick. When finished, the subscription no longer works. "There is a problem with your card". Doing forced upgrade got them working again but without the "Other Channels" on the epg. Any ideas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

greendom wrote: »
    We had a power cut yesterday and i attempted the card trick. When finished, the subscription no longer works. "There is a problem with your card". Doing forced upgrade got them working again but without the "Other Channels" on the epg. Any ideas ?
    I have had happen to me, reboot box with Uk card, clean the chip on sub card with dry cloth, go to tv guide, remove UK card and insert sub card it should load Irish EPG along with UK stations you have saved in other channels

Thanks ! I'll try that later

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

The new BETA epg arrived on my Sky box today :(:( No more card trick :(:(

Gather round .. gather round .. I've been playing around with the box.
    Try this.
    Go to favourites.
    Both the Irish & UK channels (from 'other channels') are still listed there.
    Go to any channel on the epg, press the blue button (for favourites) and hey presto the 'other' channels are there .. and recordable .. I haven't had a chance to test 'series link' yet, but what I've found so far is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

Is this working for anybody else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Woodie40

Try this.
    Go to favourites.
    Go to any channel on the epg, press the blue button (for favourites) and hey presto the 'other' channels are there .. and recordable .. I haven't had a chance to test 'series link' yet, but what I've found so far is better than nothing.
    That's terrific news as I have been dreading the new epg update. Thanks a million for sharing. Are you one of the beta testers?

Woodie40 wrote: »
    That's terrific news as I have been dreading the new epg update. Thanks a million for sharing. Are you one of the beta testers?

No, I just got it this evening

Try this.
    Go to favourites.

Series Link appears to be working .. I set the box to record ITV1 @ 8pm this evening and it did :)

No, I just got it this evening

What type of Sky box do you have? Did you use the UK card to get them onto the epg? Also can you watch the UK channels live or just record and watch them?

What type of Sky box do you have? Did you use the UK card to get them onto the epg? Also can you watch the UK channels live or just record and watch them?

Amstrad box. I did the card trick as before. UK channels are accessible live via the Blue button - not on epg channel line up. Hope that makes sense!
    If you see post 2 in this thread you'll see that I originally spotted the 'other channels' trick - but thanks to gtg60 for starting the thread.

This will probably only work until the next software update :mad:

Amstrad box. I did the card trick as before. UK channels are accessible live via the Blue button - not on epg channel line up. Hope that makes sense!
    If you see post 2 in this thread you'll see that I originally spotted the 'other channels' trick - but thanks to gtg60 for starting the thread.

This will probably only work until the next software update :mad:

Thanks a million for replying, btw, when did your box update to .29.00P.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

My sky box updated earlier and i lost the other channels so i redone the card trick and they came back to my epg,the epg didnt change to beta,im on an amstrad box,id expect il have it in a day or 2 unfortunately

Thanks a million for replying, btw, when did your box update to .29.00P.

.20.00P, version 4f3107

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

Try this.
    Go to favourites.

you sir are brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

Try this.
    Go to favourites.
    Have you tried switching cards switching off adding a new channel (in other words performing the card trick as before & see if it is added to favourites?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Try this.
    Go to favourites.

Well done! I have been trying for months to get the card trick to work again on the beta - by the way folks its not a beta anymore...its been rolled out to all drx 890 and 895s over the next while

That method works - i will warn ye who use single feed mode though (can anyone confirm this beyond my own box): it wont record due to conflict in single feed mode (as it was before when the beta worked with the card trick)

energy1942 wrote: »
    Have you tried switching cards switching off adding a new channel (in other words performing the card trick as before & see if it is added to favourites?)

Re-boot the box with UK card. Set favourite channels - matching those in 'other channels'. Switch to Irish card and the UK channels that you have set as favourites can be watched (& recorded) via the Blue button.

Re-boot the box with UK card. Set favourite channels - matching those in 'other channels'. Switch to Irish card and the UK channels that you have set as favourites can be watched (& recorded) via the Blue button.
    Can you record programmes using manual manual record facility as this would enable you to record days ahead?

energy1942 wrote: »
    Can you record programmes using manual manual record facility as this would enable you to record days ahead?

Yes, that works on all channels

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Is this working for everyone? Tried it several times and won't work for me.

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    Have you the new software update?

yrrag1974 wrote: »

Its working for many people :) however i personally cant record because of a clash caused due to the fact that im using single feed mode - people with dual feed mode have no issues recording the uk blue button channels provided via card trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Will the uk channels stay in the favourites if it's unplugged or is it like the original card trick and have to be redone after a power outage?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jca wrote: »
    Will the uk channels stay in the favourites if it's unplugged or is it like the original card trick and have to be redone after a power outage?

I reckon they'll disappear,don't plug the box out.

I can't understand people plugging boxes out at night,know one person who complained of stuff not recording at night,then he let it slip that he used to plug the box out before he went to bed.

Thanks twinklerunner for the new trick,works a treat.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »

They stayed for me but Ive only tested that once since im feeling too lazy to retest and possibly have to redo the card trick again at the mo if it does go arseways lol

Advertisement