Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Some cringeworthy questions though considering the topic

I havn't seen the interview, I presume it was geared to steer well away from any possible Euthanasia/Right To Die conversations?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was saddened to hear him veering towards a belief in "something", a birth of spirituality in him since he got his diagnosis.
    Saddened because so many people who have found life just as rewarding as an atheist seem to hedge their bets when they know the end is nigh.
    This might sound cruel of me to say, so I'm sorry, but understand as an atheist of some 20 years I have little time for spiritualism and a healthy distrust of those who "find" god/mcguffin later on in life.
    A good friend of mine is falling from the one true path as well, his excuse, the higgs boson... I sh1t you not... :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was saddened to hear him veering towards a belief in "something", a birth of spirituality in him since he got his diagnosis.
    Saddened because so many people who have found life just as rewarding as an atheist seem to hedge their bets when they know the end is nigh.
    This might sound cruel of me to say, so I'm sorry, but understand as an atheist of some 20 years I have little time for spiritualism and a healthy distrust of those who "find" god/mcguffin later on in life.
    A good friend of mine is falling from the one true path as well, his excuse, the higgs boson... I sh1t you not... :(

:confused:

Someone is turning to religion because of a particle (yet to be confirmed) which might explain why other particles have mass? Did I read you correctly? Does he also think that God has a pair of dice too? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

EnterNow wrote: »
    I havn't seen the interview, I presume it was geared to steer well away from any possible Euthanasia/Right To Die conversations?

No they talked about the documentary but Tubs was clearly agaisnt it.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    No they talked about the documentary but Tubs was clearly agaisnt it.

Ah I see, a good interviewer always lets his bias dictate the interview eh? Lets see, I wonder say if Tubbs is ever on his deathbed, riddled in cancer, spending every second in mortal agony, covered in his own filth...will he maybe rethink his evaluation...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    :confused:

Someone is turning to religion because of a particle (yet to be confirmed) which might explain why other particles have mass? Did I read you correctly? Does he also think that God has a pair of dice too? :pac:

He used to be into some screwy religious stuff as a young man, then seemed to get better, now, at 50, he's swinging back into the screwy stuff again :(

So, get out your Tarot cards, sacrifice a chicken and read some tea leaves, the dark ages are a'comin' again!

Virtual Fighter 32X for €9

Not too shabby, can't vouch for the game though - never was a fan of Virtua Fighters but for 9 bones hard to say no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Virtual Fighter 32X for €9

Not too shabby, can't vouch for the game though - never was a fan of Virtua Fighters but for 9 bones hard to say no

Hard to refuse at that price alright even if its only a shelf decoration like mine are :D

Not sure if any of mine actual carts play any more now that I changed the 32X to NTSC only - didn't want to ruin it with a switch.

Hard to refuse at that price alright even if its only a shelf decoration like mine are :D

Not sure if any of mine actual carts play any more now that I changed the 32X to NTSC only - didn't want to ruin it with a switch.

It's that bad, that the switch improves it :p

Well, I can give your PAL 32X games a good home, no worries....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I saw those VF sticks going for small money, just not enough buttons!
    There are only three main buttons, so fine if all you are going to play are retro arcade games and Virtua Fighter, but pants for everything else.
    But then, you are going a-drillin', are you going to make the 5 main buttons the same size?
    Re-mount one of the smaller upper face buttons onto the main surface there?
    Most likely I'm actually gonna plug up the L3/R3 buttons (unless they're useful for training mode) -- this stick is gonna be my main VF stick, and I have other sticks I can use for inferior other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The unholy collection continues with these two deliveries today.
    And no, you are not seeing things. That is indeed the fantastic ROTR novel you see :D

dsc1712bb.jpg

nuttyasafruitcake.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Picked up a DELL M991 19" CRT monitor this evening. The picture quality on this monitor is bordering the ridiculous. It's just mind-blowing. I've not seen anything quite like it. I think it even surpasses my Bang & Olufsen CRT. :eek:

All I can say is.... WOW.

s_p_24142_1__12604_zoom.jpg
    Not actual monitor I bought, just a reference photo.

Say what you will about CRT tech...but it did its job damned well

It's a little more complicated than just hooking up a Saturn and off you go. You do need to line double the image so you need a scaler (or in some cases a component to VGA transcoder).

And to make it extra juicy, add the SLG 3000 in to the mix and it really spices things up.

The XBOX 360 you just hook up via VGA and you're grand. Same with the Dreamcast and anything that can output 480p.

It's utterly remarkable how great this CRT actually is. I'm now struggling to decide what I want to use full time now, the B&O or the DELL CRT...

Pyongyang wrote: »
    It's a little more complicated than just hooking up a Saturn and off you go. You do need to line double the image so you need a scaler (or in some cases a component to VGA transcoder).

And to make it extra juicy, add the SLG 3000 in to the mix and it really spices things up.

The XBOX 360 you just hook up via VGA and you're grand. Same with the Dreamcast and anything that can output 480p.

It's utterly remarkable how great this CRT actually is. I'm now struggling to decide what I want to use full time now, the B&O or the DELL CRT...

Agree, I love CRT by a country mile. But, at 19", isn't it somewhat lacking for games?

Nope. It's hard work having a 21" CRT in tate on your desk as it is! :P

When buying a PC CRT monitor for gaming though, you want to go small. 19" or below. Preferably something with a lower maximum resolution as it benefits consoles even more.

Well worth it. This CRT I got today cost me €5. How can you go wrong at that price?

Nope. It's hard work having a 21" CRT in tate on your desk as it is! :P

Someone explained this to be before but I forget :o But why do people rotate 4:3 screens??

Someone explained this to be before but I forget :o But why do people rotate 4:3 screens??

Some games come with the actual arcade mode built in. Kingdom Grand Prix and Battle Garegga are a couple of quick examples. You then have the true 3:4 'tate' mode, as was intended in the arcade.

Very cool! :)

• Advertisement

Here's a quick video I made about my CRT pickup:

Picked up a DELL M991 19" CRT monitor this evening. The picture quality on this monitor is bordering the ridiculous. It's just mind-blowing. I've not seen anything quite like it. I think it even surpasses my Bang & Olufsen CRT. :eek:

All I can say is.... WOW.

s_p_24142_1__12604_zoom.jpg
    Not actual monitor I bought, just a reference photo.

Are the pixels on the M991 not to small and fine for an arcade effect? And most pc crt's monitors in general?
    I've one of these in storage as it used to be my main monitor many years ago as well as its flatter screened younger brother and I remember the pixels as being very nice, but cancelled it out of the equation as an arcade screen when I was planning on building a failed MAME arcade machine many years ago because of that fact.
    Or does the slg save it.

Well, realistically what you need is a monitor that has a lower maximum resolution capability. But, the PC monitor itself doesn't pose issues really. The beauty of it is the ability to get a 240p output, line double it and/or connect a 480p native system directly to get a super sweet picture. The scaler handles the bulk of the goods, the monitor handles the rest due to the signal ranges it's built to deal with and the variance in resolution.

The trade off comes in that anything with the 'perfect' spec would be around the 14" range (mainly due to age and display restraints). But then you have a tiny monitor so what's the point? However, the 19" I have works on the exact same lines and really is truly and utterly stunning.

I'm going to test a few 360 games on it with the SLG this week. The original arcade modes should look stunning with the 360 set to 4:3 and 640x480 resolution. Plus you just connect that directly. No scalers needed!

EDIT: Sorry I didn't really answer your original question! The SLG is the extra building block that makes it truly a great monitor to use for this type of stuff. Reason being that although the monitor has natural scanlines, the SLG brings out real depth and clarity but also darkens the CRT image so it's not overbearingly bright yet retains its sharpness, and even enhances this.

Well, realistically what you need is a monitor that has a lower maximum resolution capability. But, the PC monitor itself doesn't pose issues really. The beauty of it is the ability to get a 240p output, line double it and/or connect a 480p native system directly to get a super sweet picture. The scaler handles the bulk of the goods, the monitor handles the rest due to the signal ranges it's built to deal with and the variance in resolution.

The trade off comes in that anything with the 'perfect' spec would be around the 14" range (mainly due to age and display restraints). But then you have a tiny monitor so what's the point? However, the 19" I have works on the exact same lines and really is truly and utterly stunning.

I'm going to test a few 360 games on it with the SLG this week. The original arcade modes should look stunning with the 360 set to 4:3 and 640x480 resolution. Plus you just connect that directly. No scalers needed!

Must get my one out of storage(as well as the flatter one) and give it a go. I've an SLG but don't have all the other fancy pants stuff you have so I wouldn't be able to replicate your setup. I wonder how it compares to the 360 hooked up to the arcade monitor in the candy?

Steve SI wrote: »
    Must get my one out of storage(as well as the flatter one) and give it a go. I've an SLG but don't have all the other fancy pants stuff you have so I wouldn't be able to replicate your setup. I wonder how it compares to the 360 hooked up to the arcade monitor in the candy?

Well, for the 360 setup, you just need a 360, a VGA cable and an SLG 3000. It's when you want to connect 240p consoles you need to line double the output.

Problems arise with an XBOX1 though, you need to run that through a component to VGA transcoder. I think a PS2 has a couple of issues too, I haven't tried it yet but it's relatively straightforward.

Dreamcast etc are VGA/480p native so you're grand. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pretty sure I had one of those Dell's many years ago, long since gone of course. If you run out of space for the B&O then I have first refusal thanks! :p

Took a while, but it landed

6zwsih.jpg

Yet another very cheap US NTSC 32X cart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got "Theme Park" for the Jaguar this morning, most definitely a shelf decoration but for less than a tenner its hard to say no.

Another fine Rise of the Robots item arrived this morning. I'm sure you're all very excited to see what it could be but I don't have a camera with me right now so it will have to wait until later on today :)

I need to get my hands on a game gear version of the game and I think the collection is complete, I think.

Edit:
    On a side note, what's the most spectacular way to burn a selection of boxes, CD's, floppy disks, Carts and manuals? Preferable something that would look good on camera and not attract the attention of any authorities.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    On a side note, what's the most spectacular way to burn a selection of boxes, CD's, floppy disks, Carts and manuals? Preferable something that would look good on camera and not attract the attention of any authorities.

Have Retr0 do his 'vomit on a game' thing that he done to the N64 games before, then dowse the lot in a highly flammable fossil fuel...& use a CD-i as a trigger to ignite the whole lot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement