Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Mini Marathon 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

From a spectators perspective, if you're in the top 300-400, you have a good clear run on the route, so approximately sub 50 minute target. After that unfortunately, you're in the mix with the walkers and run/walkers and are probably better off just enjoying the experience, and chasing your PB on another day.

well funny you should say that, i was in the first few hundred and yes once you get through the first km it is a lot easier but i also passed walkers and ran around them at about 5 to 7 km. they obviously joined the race half way through and didnt bother with the 10km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

From a spectators perspective, if you're in the top 300-400, you have a good clear run on the route, so approximately sub 50 minute target. After that unfortunately, you're in the mix with the walkers and run/walkers and are probably better off just enjoying the experience, and chasing your PB on another day.

Out of 40,000 only 300-400 under 50 minutes?? :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

rasher_m wrote: »
    well funny you should say that, i was in the first few hundred and yes once you get through the first km it is a lot easier but i also passed walkers and ran around them at about 5 to 7 km. they obviously joined the race half way through and didnt bother with the 10km.
    Actually, quite a few women started a good while before the official race start (probably 30mins - 1 hour). That's probably who you encountered at the 5k-7k mark. Unfortunately, there's nothing the race organizers can do about people who don't obey the basic rules.
    pconn062 wrote:
    Out of 40,000 only 300-400 under 50 minutes??
    For most participants, it's not a race. More of an achievement. 300-400 under 50 mins is my guess. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd say it was okay for people in the sections you needed to show a qualifying time for. But anyone could enter the joggers or walkers section, and it only takes a small number at the front to slow it down for everyone behind. The numbers are quite mind boggling really. After 35 minutes, the first km was still choc a bloc, but the winner had already crossed the line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

huskerdu wrote: »
    Happens every year and its very frustrating.

I haven't run it myself for the last two years as a result.
    I think they have a runners section, which is not for elites but for runners with a previous chip time. If you did well enough to get into that , its a lot better,

However, if you have caught the bug and keep running, there are lots of smaller races out there.

When I started out I was just aiming to be able to finish the thing, but after training for a few months I had like you say caught the bug and starting taking it a bit more seriously!. Even though I'm still very slow as runners/joggers go I'll definitely keep it up! I'm a bit off getting into the runners section for the MM, and to get into the fast joggers section you need to do under 70 mins in a previous MM, which I had a small chance of reaching yesterday but that was gone with all the congestion.

Like people have said, I think for anyone trying to get a decent time who doesn't qualify for the earlier categories it's not the race to do it in. There's just too many people taking it casually and disregarding the fact that it is a race at the end of the day. I saw a couple of people pushing buggies, a total injury hazard, and smoking at the joggers starting section. I've also heard from others that there were people who broke off at some point to skip a few km in the middle and rejoined at a later point, probably another reason there were still lots of walkers at the later stages. It's disappointing that people who just want to walk it casually for their charities can't consider other people (who may also be fundraising) who want to achieve a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Actually, quite a few women started a good while before the official race start (probably 30mins - 1 hour). That's probably who you encountered at the 5k-7k mark. Unfortunately, there's nothing the race organizers can do about people who don't obey the basic rules.

I was wondering about this! I was near the finish line and there were people finishing alongside the sub 50 min runners who looked incapable of running 50 metres, never mind 50 minutes!

It really is a bizarre event though. An impressive front end of the field (and a super run by Linda Byrne) followed by all sorts of mayhem behind them. And most of them enjoying the mayhem.

pconn062 wrote:
    Out of 40,000 only 300-400 under 50 minutes??
    For most participants, it's not a race. More of an achievement. 300-400 under 50 mins is my guess. Could be wrong.[/Quote]

Id say you're right there...if even 300-400

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

pconn062 wrote: »
    Out of 40,000 only 300-400 under 50 minutes?? :eek::eek:
    Well last year that was the case. They have changed the website maybe because of the abuse they got on here last year ?. But then again its not a race tbh for 90% of people.

Searching last years results with generic irish names because I can't get a full list. http://apps.florawomensminimarathon.ie/past-results/?YearSearch=2011&searchname=deirdre&racenumber=&DoSearch=1#results I presume you got 382 or there abouts under 50 mins. I presume it was 40K last year also. The numbers speak for themselves. I think if you are not going to check last years times for a race of this size then thats the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

fantastic time by Linda Byrne 33.30:eek: , really annoying the way you need to know the number or name of competitors in previous yrs to check results !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats to all who took part yesterday and as has already been said, Keep Running, sign up for more races as soon as possible.:D
    I started running four years ago but yesterday was my first time running the MM.
    I was lucky enough to start up front with a time from a previous race so my experience was very different to most.
    The organisation was perfect and I really enjoyed it, my report (warning, it's very long) can be found here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509699&page=24

As Krusty says it really is only a race for the first 500 and then it's mayhem.
    Love it or hate it around €10m was raised for very worthy charities yesterday

• Advertisement

macinalli wrote: »

I wouldnt count on them all being early starters, ive been reading the mini marathon comments on facebook and theres loads of giving out about cheating and going under the tape before dcu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

macinalli wrote: »

theres loads of giving out about cheating and going under the tape before dcu.

That happens every year. Only fooling themselves really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Liveline is covering this today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Heard this morning that some people actually start before the official start in order to get back home earlier, maybe this was also part of it.

edit: Just read Krustys post saying the same.

I'm actually a bit peeved about my time. I got 53.48 in Great Ireland Run with loads of hills to contend with so I thought Id get under the 50 mins. I ended up feeling wrecked doing it and only getting 52 mins into the bargain. IS this what I should rea;istically been looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I'm actually a bit peeved about my time. I got 53.48 in Great Ireland Run with loads of hills to contend with so I thought Id get under the 50 mins. I ended up feeling wrecked doing it and only getting 52 mins into the bargain. IS this what I should rea;istically been looking at?

Maybe the crowds and slow runners slowed you down. Maybe you are really good at running up hills and they didn't slow you down in the GIR. It was nearly 2 minutes faster, that's not bad.

Sometimes you have a faster day and you don't know why.

53/52 minutes are good times. Keep training, there are plenty of races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

You'd be surprised how much weaving through crowds and waiting around can tire you out.

And sometimes you're the pidgeon, other days you're the statue. Good days/bad days. Don't let it discourage you.

Wtih regard to people starting early - thats been going on for years. A pal of mine was running with the elites a few years ago and said for the first two miles they were dodging smokers with bags of monster munch (gotta love the cliches ;)) walking along or clambering over the barriers headfirst into the elites.

As I've said before, great event, a lot of brilliant positives. My first running race. But not a race for runners IMHO. If you can't get into the running pen then I'd turn off the garmin and organise to walk or slow jog it with someone for whom doing a 10k race is a big deal and who would like a bit of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I was on Leeson St. bridge yesterday and there was a great atmosphere before the race. For most women, it's about raising money for a good cause and a day out with their mates. The event itself is almost incidental. You definitely wouldn't go there looking for a PB.
    I was also made aware of a category that I didn't know existed when one women asked me where the elite joggers started from :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

The only figure you can get from the WMM organising committee is the alleged amount of money raised for charidee. Have very mixed feelings about this.
    Surely promoting physical activity among women and girls is a laudable end in itself?
    Why is raising money for charity so often linked with doing some sort of physical activity badly?
    Why have we so many charities, often raising money for the same cause (and all with a CEO, office staff, rent and overheads to pay)?
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Congrats to all who took part yesterday and as has already been said, Keep Running, sign up for more races as soon as possible.:D
    I started running four years ago but yesterday was my first time running the MM.
    I was lucky enough to start up front with a time from a previous race so my experience was very different to most.
    The organisation was perfect and I really enjoyed it, my report (warning, it's very long) can be found here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509699&page=24

As Krusty says it really is only a race for the first 500 and then it's mayhem.
    Love it or hate it around €10m was raised for very worthy charities yesterday

Got the results today and wasn't as disappointed with my time as I expected - did 1:15, which was only a minute short of my best time in practice. Means I definitely would have gotten my best time yet (if not quite up to the fast jogger level yet) if it wasn't for the walkers in the way, but oh well, nothing to be done about it! Just thankful I wasn't one of the unlucky few who got injured tripping over buggies/walkers in the jogging section. I only started running at the end of February so I'm quite happy. I've already signed up for the Docklands 8km in a couple of weeks and the Great Pink Run (10k) in September so hopefully a bit less chaos at those :) Any tips from the more experienced out there appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 drakefan

I have a suspicious story regarding Rosanna Davison's illeged participation in the mini marathon....
    I saw her coming out of a house on Leeson street and joining in the race at around 9km. Of course this in itself is not evidence enough as to her lack of running the previous 9km. However - then I tried to check what time she ran, and her name didn't appear in the finish list. There was a photo of her at the finish and I searched her number to find that the person with that number had run it in 43mins. This I found particularly bizarre since in a newspaper interview she said she ran it in just over an hour. The name associated with the number was Carmel Murray - who just happens to be the ISPCA public relations officer - the charity Rosanna ran for!!
    So delving into further detail I looked up Rosanna's time from 2011 which was 51.54 - making 43mins an almost Michelle Smith-esque improvement of 9 minutes. Also Rosanna posted a photo on twitter showing her `starting' way back in the joggers section. 43 minutes would basically be impossible from starting so far back with so many walkers etc. to dodge. So my surmise is this:
    Carmel Murray started the race in the joggers section but it took about 20mins for her to cross the start line. Her chip was not activated then till abut 3.20pm. She then left the race and ran over to leeson street and gave Rosanna her number. They planned that Rosanna would `finish' the race in about an hour. But they forgot about how long it took to cross the start line so Rosanna accidentally came in 20 mins early!! And suspiciously didn't even realise it!!

I call for a return of her mini marathon medal forthwith!! Anyone else able to corroborate this story??

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Drakefan, thats mad, I saw a few pics of her at the end and thought she looked very fresh, but wouldn't have suspected that.
    As for me, I loved it, again. My fourth year doing it, 1st year it took me 1 hr 47, mostly walked - obese at the time, and was the very first event I ever did. Caught the bug and started losing weight and getting fit and went on to do it the 2nd year 1 hr 10ish, 3rd year 1:02 and this year I finally broke that nasty 60 min barrier and got in at 58:25. So next year Im a whitey! yay me. Was a great day, so well organised for such a massive event, all credit to all involved, and to all the folks cheering on from the sides. Well done to anyone who did it, crawl,walk, jog, run - could be the start of a new lifestyle for many, as it was for me four years ago.
    Also could the firemen please come back out with their hose next year? I was devistated when I got to them and they all there empty handed, Id wrapped my iphone in a plastic bag especially!!

drakefan wrote: »
    I have a suspicious story regarding Rosanna Davison's illeged participation in the mini marathon....
    I saw her coming out of a house on Leeson street and joining in the race at around 9km. Of course this in itself is not evidence enough as to her lack of running the previous 9km. However - then I tried to check what time she ran, and her name didn't appear in the finish list. There was a photo of her at the finish and I searched her number to find that the person with that number had run it in 43mins. This I found particularly bizarre since in a newspaper interview she said she ran it in just over an hour. The name associated with the number was Carmel Murray - who just happens to be the ISPCA public relations officer - the charity Rosanna ran for!!
    So delving into further detail I looked up Rosanna's time from 2011 which was 51.54 - making 43mins an almost Michelle Smith-esque improvement of 9 minutes. Also Rosanna posted a photo on twitter showing her `starting' way back in the joggers section. 43 minutes would basically be impossible from starting so far back with so many walkers etc. to dodge. So my surmise is this:
    Carmel Murray started the race in the joggers section but it took about 20mins for her to cross the start line. Her chip was not activated then till abut 3.20pm. She then left the race and ran over to leeson street and gave Rosanna her number. They planned that Rosanna would `finish' the race in about an hour. But they forgot about how long it took to cross the start line so Rosanna accidentally came in 20 mins early!! And suspiciously didn't even realise it!!

I call for a return of her mini marathon medal forthwith!! Anyone else able to corroborate this story??

On the FWMM facebook page people have also claimed to see her enter the race at the 9km mark here (might have to like the FWMM page to view this). Must say that's disgraceful carryon by her but also the ISPCA - I know it's tough out there at the moment for charities but there's no excuse for stunts like that.

The Independent claimed she came in at around 50 minutes, with "make-up was still firmly in place". No wonder after only running 1km! Ridiculous that media will give someone like her publicity - even if they wanted a famous face to report on, there were plenty who actually did complete the race they could have photographed!

jennyq wrote: »
    On the FWMM facebook page people have also claimed to see her enter the race at the 9km mark here (might have to like the FWMM page to view this). Must say that's disgraceful carryon by her but also the ISPCA - I know it's tough out there at the moment for charities but there's no excuse for stunts like that.

The Independent claimed she came in at around 50 minutes, with "make-up was still firmly in place". No wonder after only running 1km! Ridiculous that media will give someone like her publicity - even if they wanted a famous face to report on, there were plenty who actually did complete the race they could have photographed!

Well actually shes not a bad runner, she done the GIR under 50 mins (did not personally witness it but her time was recorded) so the time could've been possible except for the fact that she was spotted.
    Yeah, have to say the makeup looked ridiculous, seeing her in the paper today, she looked much more prepared for the GIR race, in fact you wouldn't have looked at her twice that day only she was being interviewed and announcements being made about her.

Well actually shes not a bad runner, she done the GIR under 50 mins (did not personally witness it but her time was recorded) so the time could've been possible except for the fact that she was spotted.
    Yeah, have to say the makeup looked ridiculous, seeing her in the paper today, she looked much more prepared for the GIR race, in fact you wouldn't have looked at her twice that day only she was being interviewed and announcements being made about her.

I knew she'd done the GIR alright, I didn't mean to seem disbelieving that she could do it in 50 minutes. But the fact that she does run makes the situation even weirder - why was there a need to fake it?

jennyq wrote: »
    I knew she'd done the GIR alright, I didn't mean to seem disbelieving that she could do it in 50 minutes. But the fact that she does run makes the situation even weirder - why was there a need to fake it?

Yeah, I know what you mean...maybe she hadnt been training and didnt want to come in over the hour huffing and puffing...who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Liveline podcast is up here:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_liveline.xml

That's two years in a row now- Last year some guy was on complaining that he didn't get a medal at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

WTF. An elite runner is sub 60

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

This was my first 10k, I did it in 71 mins, it was an amazing day, but frustrating trying to pass the walkers! I was wondering how I was still meeting them up to 7k, so now i know they started well ahead of the time. Why?
    It was HOT!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

ger664 wrote: »
    WTF. An elite runner is sub 60

Nope, a "runner" is sub-60 (as opposed to fast jogger, jogger, walker etc).

To be categorised as "elite" in this event you need to prove a sub-45 min race time. Not exactly elite in world terms of course but for this event that's how it's categorised.

Advertisement