Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Can someone tell what the spoiler is. I'm on my phone and cannot see it.

GnR is the best it says

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote: »
    GnR is the best it says

GnR: how quaint :P

GnR: how quaint :P

They can't be all that bad, they filled the Tokyo Dome for a few nights in a row, if it's good enough for the crazy Japanese, it's good enough for us isn't it? Oh wait, but gaming is probably different :)

They certainly don't pull any punches when it comes to Fedoras.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just find mocking Guns n' Roses and the Terminator 2 efficient and effective trolling techniques for yourself and o1s1n :P

We all have our weaknesses. Especially retr0, of course.

I just find mocking Guns n' Roses and the Terminator 2 efficient and effective trolling techniques for yourself and o1s1n :P

Gah! Ok, ya got me. Now bury me with my money :(:(

It won't be so easy next time Ultimate! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,562 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ao_9aUBCEAAhlmY.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ao_9aUBCEAAhlmY.jpg

Seen that in YLYL before I think, f**king brilliantly done :cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wish the women's toilets had stuff like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭Steve X2

This little device should arrive tomorrow(I hope).

Sellers pic:
    kgrhqvh8e9dvspglwbpeisl.jpg

I've never used or seen one in person so I'm curious to have a gander at it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Always wanted a pocket station, very nice!

I ordered okamiden from amazon today which I'm definitely looking forward to getting stuck into. Pal version could be a pricey one in the future so said I'd go for it while it's still reasonable (€24 delivered)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nice Steve, was thinking of picking one up myself.
    Make sure you have Ridge Racer Type IV handy, the only PAL game to include a Pocketstation function, before the Euro launch was canned.
    Once again, nice purchase.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nice Steve, was thinking of picking one up myself.
    Make sure you have Ridge Racer Type IV handy, the only PAL game to include a Pocketstation function, before the Euro launch was canned.
    Once again, nice purchase.

Cheers, I don't think I have Ridge Racer IV but that's nothing a quick visit to ebay wont fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Steve SI wrote: »
    This little device should arrive tomorrow(I hope).

Sellers pic:
    kgrhqvh8e9dvspglwbpeisl.jpg

I've never used or seen one in person so I'm curious to have a gander at it.

Hey nice VMU Sony Pocketstation!

Speaking of Dreamcast stuff I accidentally picked up a second copy of 'Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2' recently, does anybody need a copy?

If you can meet in town I'd be willing to let it go for nowt...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,562 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been meaning to buy one of them ever since hearing about the Japanese original release!

I got really excited about that little console for some reason, especially the mini games which were being mentioned to be associated with Final Fantasy releases.

Shame it never happened. I wonder how playable the mini games are in Japanese with a modded ps1?

So it arrived anyway. Nice little device but I've no CR2032 batteries until tomorrow(very large box of Duracell AA/AAA/CR2032 batteries coming thanks to ebay Ireland and a great deal).

Screen looks dark but that's just the flash on the camera.

dsc1134u.jpg

dsc1135e.jpg

Small scratch on the display but not to bad.
    dsc1136c.jpg

dsc1137d.jpg

It even had the original plastic wrap in the box and the small piece of plastic that separates the battery contacts(you know the thing you pull out to activate the included battery that first time).

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

What is it though??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Plugs into the memory card slot. Think it acts like a memory card but some games that support it will download a mini game to it that you can play for bonuses. Only a handful of japanese releases support it but a few made it to the US with the pocket station games intact since it was supposed to get a western release. The most notable one is FFVIII which has a ****ty Chocobo minigame.

Well I wanted Contra 3 in my collection, it's been a void of it for too long, found an ebay seller & decided to attack aggressively. Got it for a good price in the end :cool:

2zpiir5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Contra 3 Alien Wars is definitely trending in here recently. Well Contra and that ghey roboty one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Poor Probotector, no love for it here....
    And I have Probotector for the Nes as well, oh dear...

Oh, frak it, it doesn't look that bad, does it?
    super-probotector-alien-rebels-pal-box-art.jpg

Compared to this...
    contra3.jpg

But, in a total reverse of the trend, the Jap cover looks more like an American cover, that is, it look like complete Donkey Kong Land Balls!
    563543_3922_front.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Compared to this...
    contra3.jpg

But, in a total reverse of the trend, the Jap cover looks more like an American cover, that is, it look like complete Donkey Kong Land Balls!
    563543_3922_front.jpg

The JP cover looks like this

Rival%20Turf%20(USA)-noscale.jpg

With guns.

Btw I have probotector for gameboy :P

These were in the post this morning, used Rinkya to get em from Yahoo JP. [not doing that again]
    Sailor Moon was Y110 and the Clara plush was Y100 but all the handling fees and postage </3 ( ; o; )=3

2012-05-010957052.jpg

and after all that googling I did before hand it wasn't the game I wanted
    1318208961308.gif?t=1333749073

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Sera wrote: »
    These were in the post this morning, used Rinkya to get em from Yahoo JP. [not doing that again]
    Sailor Moon was Y110 and the Clara plush was Y100 but all the handling fees and postage </3 ( ; o; )=3

and after all that googling I did before hand it wasn't the game I wanted

Ouch. :(

If you reconsider using Rinkya/Celga/Tenso though, don't keep it to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

My vectrex arrived smashed, just wrapped in a shoebox :(

http://i.imgur.com/iDSCt.jpg

a5y wrote: »
    Ouch. :(
    If you reconsider using Rinkya/Celga/Tenso though, don't keep it to yourself.
    read some stuff about them here I wouldn't use Rinkya again though :/ I would have organized a GO if I thought anyone would be bothered, next time lol

safetyboy wrote: »
    My vectrex arrived smashed, just wrapped in a shoebox :(

http://i.imgur.com/iDSCt.jpg

What the hell are we looking at there, any other pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I'll take a few now, it powers but joysticks don't seem to work and there are bits rattling around inside, i'll take a better look after work. just in a box actually smaller than the vectrex itself. wraped in a sheet of bubble wrap and a black sack!

Compared to this...
    contra3.jpg

563543_3922_front.jpg

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The JP cover looks like this

Rival%20Turf%20%28USA%29-noscale.jpg

With guns.

Btw I have probotector for gameboy :P

I'm an atheist, but if I've got it all wrong I hope I at least get a nice view of the particular circle of hell the surely exists for the art directors of video game packaging.

203079.png
    :mad:

I actually think the artwork for the US Contra 3 box is the best, so much going on in it! The Probotector one has two gheybots in a searchlight, & the JP one is odd, the artist just wasn't great at the human form :p

• Advertisement

Neither of the US/EU releases have bad artwork. Its a little uninspiring (the robots don't look like they were drawn by any artist with the kind of "I-f***ing-love-robots, robots-are-f***ing-awesome" passion you'd see in mecha anime's attention to detail, but they're not awful either), and having a massive black border with the word Nintendo on it 3 times doesn't help. So much effort goes into making a game immersive and then they stick the graphic design equivalent of a chest-high-wall between the customer and promise of whats within.

Look at the Japanese art. Number of times Nintendo appears: once. Why? Because Contra is arcade. Nintendo (as a brand) isn't, at least not as much as Konami. The art looks like a good arcade decal or poster if you ask me.

203083.jpg

Better than a 80s camo booth-babe with a perm anyway, though I commend her for spending some of her plastic plant collection budget on a Contra arcade machine. That's open-mindedness on her part, that is. Fair play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement