Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

joeysoap wrote: »
    flew out to Faro on Saturday morning on Aer Lingus A319 ex Belfast. 144 Seats. 119 of them empty. Yep, that correct,.....
    I doubt that EI were too happy with that load. However they cannot just cancel a flight because the bookings are down. Doing so gives them an unreliable reputation. And you are not to know whether the return flight was booked fully or not. An empty flight out and a full flight home still deliver an overall loadfactor of 50%, still not sustainable, most airlines aim for 60-65%.

I'd love to hear about al28283's experience being the only passenger on a LHR-DUB flight though. Has to be a story behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

flikflak wrote: »
    Why? As long as it lands at the correct time or thereabouts who cares what time the wheels of the plane left the ground or what time it dpearts the gate? No airline takes off exactly on the dot of the scheduled departure time.
    Funny that because when i last flew with BMI they departed pretty much on the dot and arrived in plenty of time, the way i look at it departure time should be when the plane accelerates for take off,you could be (and indeed i have on many occasions) on the runway for up to 15 minutes before taking off, the facts are FR lie through their teeth about being Europe's most punctual airline, there needs to be more transparency with regard to departure and landing times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Dacian wrote: »
    I doubt that EI were too happy with that load. However they cannot just cancel a flight because the bookings are down. Doing so gives them an unreliable reputation. And you are not to know whether the return flight was booked fully or not. An empty flight out and a full flight home still deliver an overall loadfactor of 50%, still not sustainable, most airlines aim for 60-65%.

I'd love to hear about al28283's experience being the only passenger on a LHR-DUB flight though. Has to be a story behind it.

I have it on good authority that Aer Arran used to cancel flights Dub - City Of Derry if there was less than 3 passengers booked to travel, they don't fly this route anymore as it wasn't profitable, of course they would never admit to cancelling flights because of low passenger numbers as they could land themselves in a lot of trouble but this has happened on a few occasions and to be honest i think a lot of other airlines have probably done the same and used the old chestnut "technical problems"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

My Ryanair flight on Sunday took off ten minutes ahead of the scheduled departure time - the second time in a month that I've been on one of their flights that it has happened on.

They base their claim about being punctual on their scheduled arrival time and, tbh, I think that's fine. I don't care when the plane leaves the departure airport - I want it to land on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Hi there. Got this email from Ryanair this evening.
    In relation to your flight reference ******

Ryanair has been advised by the Spanish Government of a budgetary proposal to increase airport charges later this month.

In accordance with our General Terms and Conditions of Travel* we are advising customers with a reservation that includes a flight departing from a Spanish airport that we may be forced to debit passengers for any government imposed increases in airport charges prior to your travel date.

Once the Spanish government budget is published Ryanair will advise affected passengers by email of any additional airport charges that may apply to your reservation before any charges are made.

Please see our website for updates regarding increases in Spanish airport charges.

Yours sincerely

Ryanair Customer Service

• 4.2.2 Taxes, fees and charges imposed on air travel are constantly changing and can be imposed after the date that your reservation has been made. If any such tax, fee or charge is introduced or increased after your reservation has been made you will be obliged to pay it (or any increase) prior to departure. Similarly, if any such tax, fee or charge is abolished or reduced such that it no longer applies to you, or a lesser amount is due, you will be entitled to claim a refund of the difference from us.

Are they able to charge the card again if the charges go up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Funny that because when i last flew with BMI they departed pretty much on the dot and arrived in plenty of time, the way i look at it departure time should be when the plane accelerates for take off,you could be (and indeed i have on many occasions) on the runway for up to 15 minutes before taking off, the facts are FR lie through their teeth about being Europe's most punctual airline, there needs to be more transparency with regard to departure and landing times.

Better not fly out of Heathrow, plenty of times I was on the plane for 30 minutes whilst we queued for the runway. Landed on the schedule so obviously airlines built in an element of padding to mitigate congestion / dopey passengers who turn up late etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

jonnny68 wrote: »

This is a huge myth that needs to be put to bed. Airlines do not set flight times - they are set by air traffic control based on the average time on that route and at that time of day during the previous year. This is why, for example, EI to Heathrow is scheduled to take anywhere from 1h30 in the morning peak to 1h10 in the afternoon. The "average time" is the time from terminal to terminal, i.e. if the plane has to taxi for 20 minutes, that still counts as part of the flight time.

Ryanair does not "lie" about its flight times, because it can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

martyoo wrote: »
    Hi there. Got this email from Ryanair this evening.
    Are they able to charge the card again if the charges go up?

Just got this email too. It's a bit rich of them to try to charge you extra for something you've already paid for :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Check your terms and conditions, but I reckon Ryanair have themselves well covered as this isn't the first time a government has added a transport tax. Can't really fault Ryanair on this one, they won't be making a penny off this potential extra charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Thats fair enough but I've never received any email "if any such tax, fee or charge is abolished or reduced such that it no longer applies to you" So I have never been able to "claim a refund of the difference"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Hey Guys!

Made a typo in my ryanair flight booking.. typed in marie instead of maria!

So does anyone have any ideas? Don't want to chance it cos its my auntie's flight booking. Anyone know if ryanair could fix this typo for free?? (probably not but i thought i'd ask!) The flight wasn't worth the €100 name change!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Hey Guys!

Made a typo in my ryanair flight booking.. typed in marie instead of maria!

So does anyone have any ideas? Don't want to chance it cos its my auntie's flight booking. Anyone know if ryanair could fix this typo for free?? (probably not but i thought i'd ask!) The flight wasn't worth the €100 name change!!

Call Ryanair, they'll change it for free. It's not a name change, it's a spelling mistake, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

It's a couple of years - but I changed Leslie to Lesley free of charge with Ryanair by phone - no problem at all - so maybe give them a call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Thanks everyone! Just paniced there for a minute! It's within the next two weeks and my auntie hasn't been out of the country in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

al28283 wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago I was on aer lingus flight from heathrow to Dublin and I was the only passenger.

I guess you didnt become a member of the Mile High Club so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Booked tickets for my girlfriend's mother in her married name. She changed to her maiden name 6 months ago. She only has ID in her maiden name.

Will they change this for free?

EDIT: Got it sorted.
    First they wanted £100, then they wanted £10 and a marriage certificate! They they wanted 10Euro :)

I had to keep hitting them again because the flight is leaving her home so we cant get her marriage certificate before the flight.
    I'm so happy I got a result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Anyone know how to stop the Ryanair hotels pop up coming up every single time you log on to the website?

It's an absolute p in the a.

Anyone know how to stop the Ryanair hotels pop up coming up every single time you log on to the website?

You could turn off javascript but it may affect how other things on the site work. Google it to find out to do it for your browser.

EDIT: actually its probably not possible because the flight search probably needs it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

stopped about 2 months ago, sometime in March as far as I remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I got one of those passport cards last month

good point - no card fees on flights (have already saved €12 on that)

bad points - they charge €10 for setting up and loading the card and promise and give you a code to use against first flight booked to claim this €10 back - code doesn't work. waste of time contacting them about it.

€3 every time you top up and if you use a credit card they also charge a 'cash withdrawal' fee + interest from that moment until you clear the balance!! I am going to reload it using a bank debit card, they will still charge €3 but no credit card charges.

re the month €3 charge if you don't use the card for 6 months - just purchase petrol or something like that and that should 'renew' it for another 6 months.

to summarise: down €10 plus the credit card cash withdrawal fee of €3.15 (its a % charge of amount 'withdrawn' )+ 53c interest charged ( I was lucky on that one) = total cost €14 - saved so far €12 so no gain.

would I recommend the hassle of doing it again - NO. but I have more flights coming up so hopefully might just actually clear off the card and not reload it. they have a charge if you go into 'negative' territory but if you use up the balance exactly they can hardly implement it.

Ryanair really are scandalous! On the whole, I like the way LIDL operate. No frills efficiency, high productivity and only the essential products and services. But I would actually be better off if I had never used Ryanair because of their hidden charges and fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'm after getting AdBlock, and stopped the pop-up adverts - it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I got one of those passport cards last month

good point - no card fees on flights (have already saved €12 on that)

bad points - they charge €10 for setting up and loading the card and promise and give you a code to use against first flight booked to claim this €10 back - code doesn't work. waste of time contacting them about it.

I got my card through the post yesterday. Went on to book flights today and tried to use code. The code didnt work so I rang the number on the paperwork I had with the card. Spoke with a nice lady who held on the phone while I purchased the flights then refunded the €10 to my cash passport account. All very simple.

€12 already saved. I will use the card to buy something trivial if I dont buy any flights but thats highly unlikely as I use RA about once every 2 months. So far so good with the cash passport for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Confess I never thought of ringing them, sent them an email and they said 'contact Ryanair', nothing to do with us.

and I left it at that.

:(
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

But I would actually be better off if I had never used Ryanair because of their hidden charges and fines.

What hidden charges do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not sure if this has been around for a while but only noticed it recently so apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Was booking flights the other night and was prompted to buy travel insurance or if I didn't want to, to select the ''Don't Cover Me'' option.

The list of countries in the drop-down list is alphabetical but for some reason the ''Don't Cover Me'' option is not and so it's placed randomly about half-way down the list.

Seeing as this is Ryanair I'm sure they did this to catch people out, so just giving people a heads up about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just in case anybody doesnt know: Most of the Ryanair website will be down next weekend from Friday afternoon until Sunday night. This includes Online Check In. Anybody planning on travelling will need to check in by Friday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Voucher code worked for me.

However, noticed when booking a flight originating in the UK and priced in sterling using a Euro card that they automatically selected the currency exchange rate, which they "recommended" to use. That rate was £1 = €1.325. Having read before that these automatic exchange rates are always poor value, I deselected it. I then checked my statement and sure enough, the rate was a much better £1 = €1.245, only a fraction more than the then central exchange rate.

Advertisement