Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

al28283 wrote: »

Other airlines, such as aer lingus, are delayed far more often and don't hand out any such vouchers. And you'll be equally pressed to get much information as to why they are late as that stuff is decided in ATC and doesnt much filter down to the air hostess' you would mainly deal with at the gate.

Considering how often other airlines are delayed they couldnt hand out such an offer as Ryanair do.

Ryanair, as you say, are Europes most on time airline, one late flight doesnt change this

Sorry, have to take issue on you with this: Delayed last year in Barcelona because of what Aer Lingus described as 'Techicnal Difficulties' with an aircraft. Delay was just under 4 hours. Every passenger was given a €20 voucher for food/drink etc at Barcelona airport.

In the case of a 4 hour delay Ryanair were giving out the absolute bare minimum in €5 vouchers under EU regulations.

http://bit.ly/Hxouo1

I do agree however that Ryanair are usually very punctual. Departure time is usually taken from the time the aircraft leaves the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

joeysoap wrote: »
    far as I can recall the sandwiches on both ryanair and aer lingus are made in Dunmurray near Belfast. Boots are imported from UK..

Same as Ryanair and Aer Lingus then?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Booked a flight with Ryanair yesterday and just saw I selected the early morning flight instead of the afternoon flight I wanted on the way out. My mistake!

Does anyone know if I just buy another ticket for the afternoon flight going out would there be any problem with using the return flight on the original booking eventhough I won't be using the outward flight? I can still check in for it but just not use it.

Reason I'm asking is that I heard other airlines can cancel your return flight if you don't use the outbound journey.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I've done that before with Ryanair, no need to worry. They just sell the seats, and when they're gone, they're gone. Seats don't reappear for sale because someone hasn't taken an outward leg. Essentially they're treated as two singles, put together as a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Currently in Dublin, my flight from Edinburgh on Tuesday evening was 10 minutes early and I cannot remember the last time Ryanair were more than 15 minutes late. Hopefully my flight back to Edinburgh tomorrow will be on time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Departure time is usually taken from the time the aircraft leaves the stand.
    All airlines do this. You might push back early and spent an hour waiting to take off, that flight still 'departed' early.
    jonnny68 wrote: »
    Y......as i travel with them so often and having to always listen to their drivel about how they are Europes most on time airline that i decided to start taking notes of the times the flights departed and landed..............

Well all airlines do pad their schedule a bit, its due to the 'normal' disruption that happens in air travel.

However I find Ryanair pad a lot more then others. Last summer we flew Aer Lingus to Rome, then honeymooned in Florence with a flgiht back from Pias with Ryanair. The Ryanair Pisa-Dublin block time (scheduled departure to scheduled arrival) was equal to the block time that Aer Lingus on their Dublin-Rome flight. So straight away there is an extra 30+ minutes added to the scheduled flight time from Pisa.
    Ellis Dee wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/holidaymakers-terror-as-ryanair-plane-forced-to-make-emergency-landing-3074006.html

It looks like Ryanair has some work to do to train pilots to explain that a sudden manoeuvre is routine procedure in response to cabin pressure loss rather than risking getting brown stains on the seats......
    Absolutely, a proper explanation to the passengers would have nipped this 'flight horror' in the bud.

A decent journalist (oxymoron perhaps) would have googled decompression and discovered that this was the proper response to this situation.
    And how the hell could a passenger "hear the pilot calling 'mayday'"?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Double post

Conor84 wrote: »
    Booked a flight with Ryanair yesterday and just saw I selected the early morning flight instead of the afternoon flight I wanted on the way out. My mistake!

Does anyone know if I just buy another ticket for the afternoon flight going out would there be any problem with using the return flight on the original booking eventhough I won't be using the outward flight? I can still check in for it but just not use it.

Reason I'm asking is that I heard other airlines can cancel your return flight if you don't use the outbound journey.

Thanks

two seperate flights so no problem. might (just might) have been cheaper for you to change the time of flight (it's €50 per passenger per leg) than to buy an new one as you dont have to pay the taxes, cc charges, boarding charges again. just any difference in cost of actual flight

My flight back to Edinburgh today was 10 minutes early :)

Same as Ryanair and Aer Lingus then?

ok, Boots sandwiches come from they call in Norn Iron 'the mainland' :):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I am gonna wait until(think it's August this year) and it will be a full year of me taking notes of the exact departure and landing times of all my FR flights and let me tell you this some people are in for a shock if they think FR are as they claim themselves as being Europe's most on time airline,complete and utter rubbish,as someone who travels with them every other week i see it first hand,my flight last Wednesday was the longest ive been delayed in a long time but that isn't really the issue, if an airline gives a time for departure they should depart on or even before this scheduled time.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

I've done that before with Ryanair, no need to worry. They just sell the seats, and when they're gone, they're gone. Seats don't reappear for sale because someone hasn't taken an outward leg. Essentially they're treated as two singles, put together as a return.
    two seperate flights so no problem. might (just might) have been cheaper for you to change the time of flight (it's €50 per passenger per leg) than to buy an new one as you dont have to pay the taxes, cc charges, boarding charges again. just any difference in cost of actual flight

Thanks for the info.

I rebooked the flight I wanted was only €13.99 plus the booking fee so under €20 instead of the €50 to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I am gonna wait until(think it's August this year) and it will be a full year of me taking notes of the exact departure and landing times of all my FR flights and let me tell you this some people are in for a shock if they think FR are as they claim themselves as being Europe's most on time airline,complete and utter rubbish,as someone who travels with them every other week i see it first hand,my flight last Wednesday was the longest ive been delayed in a long time but that isn't really the issue, if an airline gives a time for departure they should depart on or even before this scheduled time.

Why? As long as it lands at the correct time or thereabouts who cares what time the wheels of the plane left the ground or what time it dpearts the gate? No airline takes off exactly on the dot of the scheduled departure time.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

I thought people might find it interesting to know that Faro airport allow you to carry airport purchases on in a separate bag! I didn't believe the woman in the duty free when she told me but my friend ended up buying bottles of spirits and when his bag didn't fit in the cage he put clothes into his duty free bag and walked on no problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

yea, why would you do that? Anyway, I've flown with them over 100 times the last year and I've arrived late maybe 4 times

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

siobhanoh wrote: »
    I thought people might find it interesting to know that Faro airport allow you to carry airport purchases on in a separate bag! I didn't believe the woman in the duty free when she told me but my friend ended up buying bottles of spirits and when his bag didn't fit in the cage he put clothes into his duty free bag and walked on no problem!

Yep they do this at a few airports now even though RA dont tell you that you can!

siobhanoh wrote: »

They have a base in Faro, and maybe that has something to do with it. (all flights from Dublin to Faro originate in Faro) Witnessed a few pilots 'deadheading' last year on Faro flights.

I don't mind being a little bit late on flights, s**t happens, and you don't necessarily know where the delay originated. I had two delays last year (both Faro:)) first was due to French air traffic controllers strike, and the 2nd was a mix up in passenger numbers. They eventually sorted this one out by asking someone to ring their overhead bell. Transpired that one family should have been on a later flight, but they managed to get through boarding........ the flights were less than 2 hours apart anyway so I suppose the staff at boarding gate just missed the finer print on the boarding passes. No security issue just a mistake, and we all make them. Delayed by about 1 hour in this case too.

I think it's really funny when you arrive in Dublin on Ryanair, and as you walk towards terminal 1, seeing all the faces looking down at you, queueing up to board an aircraft that has just landed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had a couple of really bad experiences in the last 2 months and need to vent!

First was in February flying from Manchester to Dublin. Flight was supposed to depart at 9pm. Arrived at airport and it said flight delayed until 10. Not too bad I thought. We get the call to start queuing at 21.45. Why they did this I have no idea because the plane didn't land until 12.15! We finally boarded around 12.30 and then proceeded to sit on the plane for 45 minutes. The captain explained there was a problem with the cabin pressurization. They literally tried restarting the plane a few times. When this didn't work they gave up and decided we had to be moved to a new plane. This process took another 45 minutes as they had to warm up and prepare the new plane. We eventually touched down in Dublin at around 2.30. I didn't get home to bed until 3.30 and had to be in work for 9 the next morning! We got an email about a week later apologizing that we were delayed for 3hrs 7mins (more like 4hrs30mins!), they also attached an official statement that they said we could use for insurance purposes. As we were being moved to the second plane there was a few people who were really losing the rag with them, I really thought there was going to be violence at one stage! The thing that really bothered me was that they didn't even offer us water and tried to sell us stuff on the flight!? I also felt bad for the people waiting in Dublin for as long as us for the return flight, didn't think they would even be allowed take off at that hour of night?

Second experience was only last Friday on a flight to Stansted. Boarded the plane and everything was looking good out 19.50 departure time. After 20 minutes of sitting at the stand and not moving I was starting to get worried again. Then the captain came on with the dreaded news of a 'technical problem', might have been the same issue as before because they again tried a few restarts of the plane!? There was no joy and we got moved to yet another plane. We eventually arrived into stansted about 90 minutes late so not as bad as before. The Ryanair fleet must be ageing with these 'technical problems' they are having!?

Really getting so sick of Ryanair and I have actively started trying to use other more expensive options where possible! With the state of some of their planes I have a feeling that serious accident is going to happen sooner rather than later.

Who is the regulator that monitors Ryanair?

I can't believe that the terms that are used within Ryanair's pricing structure have been allowed to continue for so long apparently unchallenged.

Biggest offender of all is the fare described as "No Taxes". This is utter rubbish. Of course Ryanair has to pay whatever air tax is due on behalf of the passenger out of the revenue it gets from the passenger.

Then there's the old "on line check-in" fee of €6, where the passenger actually apparenty pays to check in themselves. Incredible. Exactly what is the €6 for? The technology that was developed years ago to check-in on line? That particular piece of software must be one of the best revenue-raising pieces of software ever to have been created.

Then there's the €2 volcano tax, aka explicit compensation fee, the "EU261 levy" , which sounds to me more like some food additive.

And then there's a 25c for something else, the "ETS levy" which they were keen to make explicit a few months ago, which I've forgotten.

And yet, despite all these distractions, one of the largest components of the fare must be the cost the airport imposes on an airline for each passenger - and yet Ryanair's structure doesn't show this at all!

Having 3 types of fares is one thing - currently known as "Free online check in", "No Taxes" and "Regular Fare", but let's ensure these descriptions are truthful, accurate, unbiased and complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

About 9 years ago I once bought a Ryanair sandwich for about a fiver, I think. I'm not a fussy eater at all, but I had to leave half of it and I've never bought another one since. Aer Lingus fare on the other hand has always been pretty reliable. Can anyone vouch that the Ryanair sandwiches are any better these days?

I think they're grand, they're certainly no worse than what you get at the airport, and about the same price. Unless I've loads of time to kill in departures I'll usually wait and get a sandwich on board.

• Advertisement

Who is the regulator that monitors Ryanair?

I can't believe that the terms that are used within Ryanair's pricing structure have been allowed to continue for so long apparently unchallenged.

Biggest offender of all is the fare described as "No Taxes". This is utter rubbish. Of course Ryanair has to pay whatever air tax is due on behalf of the passenger out of the revenue it gets from the passenger.

Then there's the old "on line check-in" fee of €6, where the passenger actually apparenty pays to check in themselves. Incredible. Exactly what is the €6 for? The technology that was developed years ago to check-in on line? That particular piece of software must be one of the best revenue-raising pieces of software ever to have been created.

Then there's the €2 volcano tax, aka explicit compensation fee, the "EU261 levy" , which sounds to me more like some food additive.

And then there's a 25c for something else, the "ETS levy" which they were keen to make explicit a few months ago, which I've forgotten.

And yet, despite all these distractions, one of the largest components of the fare must be the cost the airport imposes on an airline for each passenger - and yet Ryanair's structure doesn't show this at all!

Having 3 types of fares is one thing - currently known as "Free online check in", "No Taxes" and "Regular Fare", but let's ensure these descriptions are truthful, accurate, unbiased and complete.

I just look at the total fare and compare to their competitors. If Ryanair are at least €10 cheaper I will book them. I have not flown Aer Lingus from Scotland to Dublin in about 4 years because Ryanair have been cheaper every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Good for you then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Had a couple of really bad experiences in the last 2 months and need to vent!

First was in February flying from Manchester to Dublin. Flight was supposed to depart at 9pm. Arrived at airport and it said flight delayed until 10. Not too bad I thought. We get the call to start queuing at 21.45. Why they did this I have no idea because the plane didn't land until 12.15! We finally boarded around 12.30 and then proceeded to sit on the plane for 45 minutes. The captain explained there was a problem with the cabin pressurization. They literally tried restarting the plane a few times. When this didn't work they gave up and decided we had to be moved to a new plane. This process took another 45 minutes as they had to warm up and prepare the new plane. We eventually touched down in Dublin at around 2.30. I didn't get home to bed until 3.30 and had to be in work for 9 the next morning! We got an email about a week later apologizing that we were delayed for 3hrs 7mins (more like 4hrs30mins!), they also attached an official statement that they said we could use for insurance purposes. As we were being moved to the second plane there was a few people who were really losing the rag with them, I really thought there was going to be violence at one stage! The thing that really bothered me was that they didn't even offer us water and tried to sell us stuff on the flight!? I also felt bad for the people waiting in Dublin for as long as us for the return flight, didn't think they would even be allowed take off at that hour of night?

Second experience was only last Friday on a flight to Stansted. Boarded the plane and everything was looking good out 19.50 departure time. After 20 minutes of sitting at the stand and not moving I was starting to get worried again. Then the captain came on with the dreaded news of a 'technical problem', might have been the same issue as before because they again tried a few restarts of the plane!? There was no joy and we got moved to yet another plane. We eventually arrived into stansted about 90 minutes late so not as bad as before. The Ryanair fleet must be ageing with these 'technical problems' they are having!?

Really getting so sick of Ryanair and I have actively started trying to use other more expensive options where possible! With the state of some of their planes I have a feeling that serious accident is going to happen sooner rather than later.

Yeah I had the same story on my Dublin to Bristol flight a couple of weeks ago. The plane made it to the runway twice before aborting due to a "technical problem" causing us to eventually change planes a couple of hours late.

Ryanair used to make a big deal out of the fact that they had the newest fleet in the World, and I'm sure they still do, but I'd imagine that their planes on the busier routes have a lot of miles on the clock.

Personally after three years of using Ryanair for probably two returns per month I'm moving my business away from them. Prices have gone through the roof the last year and whilst I appreciate that that isn't entirely their fault if I'm now only able to afford to fly once a month or once every six weeks I'm more inclined to spend a bit more money on it. I flew Aer Lingus from Heathrow to Dublin recently and was taken aback by the customer service from their employees. I'd arrived early at the airport due to getting in from JFK early and the girl at check in put me on an earlier flight then the girl on the flight offered me a compliamentary seat change to one with more legroom as I'm very tall - something which contrasts dramatically to the ten empty emergency exit seats that I see regularly on Ryanair flights since they introduced the charge for sitting in them.

The new Aer Lingus Dublin to London Southend route will be my route of choice from now on. Fractionally more expensive than Ryanair but not much in it and an easier, and cheaper connection to London (and my parents live in Southend so that's very convenient as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

Ryanair pricing has been creeping up for a while...my wife flies to newcastle on a regular basis and the price now compared to last year has more than doubled...add that to the removal of 'free' prepaid mastercard charges for the rip off that is the ryanair prepaid card and they are not significantly cheaper than the competiton....if an alternative provider flew to same destination i would happily pay a little extra

hous wrote: »
    ....if an alternative provider flew to same destination i would happily pay a little extra

why?

hous wrote: »
    Rif an alternative provider flew to same destination i would happily pay a little extra

There is good reason why there is no alternative provider

flew out to Faro on Saturday morning on Aer Lingus A319 ex Belfast. 144 Seats. 119 of them empty. Yep, that correct, despite being only a few pounds more expensive than Easyjet the aircraft was practically empty. Flying home on Saturday with Easyjet (their times are better for returns) and I know the aircraft (A319 156 seats identical airplane much less legroom ) will be full. Flight was one time and it was like looking down an empty bus if you looked behind you ( 21 of the 25 were in the front 8 rows)

flew out to Faro on Saturday morning on Aer Lingus A319 ex Belfast. 144 Seats. 119 of them empty. Yep, that correct, despite being only a few pounds more expensive than Easyjet the aircraft was practically empty. Flying home on Saturday with Easyjet (their times are better for returns) and I know the aircraft (A319 156 seats identical airplane much less legroom ) will be full. Flight was one time and it was like looking down an empty bus if you looked behind you ( 21 of the 25 were in the front 8 rows)

ok

Enjoy it while it lasts.

The CEO of Aer Lingus is very financially incentivised to be making profits, so action (eg re-timing, re-routing) would be likely to be taken on flights with consistent poor loadings and poor profitability.

I've been on Ryanair flights in the past with poor loadings (not recently); once flying back from East Midlands (with only 8 on board) and once flying to Bristol with about 10.

• Advertisement

I remember a few years ago I was on aer lingus flight from heathrow to Dublin and I was the only passenger.

Advertisement