Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If this weather is coming up from the south then an end is in sight (touch wood) - hasn't rained here for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Almost stopped here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

M7 closed between j6 and j7, flooded on many side roads too. Rain moderate here in Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

damino wrote: »
    wonder will the Liffey burst its banks with such heavy rain?

Strawberry beds already so apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

dundrum shopping centre being evacuated right now

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Waters bursting up out of the sewers on the side of the road .. mad. right hows high tide going to effect us now ???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

crushproof wrote: »
    Where abouts is the flooding? Might try head out and get some snaps

Just down from the Esso station between Monkstown and Dun Laoghaire Dart station, a few cars broken down and everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cionád wrote: »
    Link wont work

Is this it?

That's the one, on a mobile and the link I posted was the one my session gave me.

Dundrum Town Centre ground floor under water

295818_10150361646656092_831891091_8103570_144060287_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

The underground car park in the Merrion Shopping Centre was flooding a few hours ago, wouldn't care to think what its like now!

I tried to go there about an hour ago (I know.. I'm an idiot but I hadn't been following AA and needed milk!) Car park was shut so I turned right on to Merrion road and got stuck in a long line of traffic and very frightening conditions. My car literally fell into a puddle at one stage where there must be a dip and I honestly thought I was going to get stuck.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cionád wrote: »
    Dundrum Town Centre ground floor under water

Can you imagine what the car parks are like? :eek: There are at least 2 levels of car parking under that.

Just reached 82.0mm here since midnight. Rain has eased off very light now.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Thanks for all the pics, videos and reports everyone. Keep 'em coming and stay safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Not wrote: »
    This is absolutely insane. This area of Terenure has never flooded before. The road all the gardens, I suspect its already in some neighbouring houses. The drains are competely inundated, turn on the tap and the drain gurgles - no leaves causing this problem, drains just cant cope with volume, also plumes of air bubbles coming up through the water over the driveway and lawn, making a loud hissing sound to compete with the sound of the deluge falling. Really hope this rain stops soon.

I'd seriously advise anyone living near flood prone rivers to get ready for a serious flood deluge if you haven't already got one, this is completely unprecented (in the last 40 years at least) even hurricane Charlie just produced a puddle at the doorstep.

Rain eased off now thankfully, flooding subsiding, can now see the problem. yes, it is leaves. Clogging the drains on the road and diverting the rainwater into gardens and domestic drains :rolleyes:

The Luas Blue line(r)

432125811.jpg

Near the Aisling hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dub56 wrote: »
    Jeez,you wouldnt put your mother-in-law out in that.

I would, actually :D

Eased off here in a big way. Now it's just normal 'Irish rain'. Met.ie radar would indicate that it will stop soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

My GF lives off Emmet Road in Kilmanhaim. The Camac river has risen up to the level of the ground floor apartments. Her car (which she only has a month) was parked on the road and the water is up to the steering wheel inside it.
    The basement of the apartments is up to the ceiling in water. Several cars down there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Keep reports of roads coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Can you imagine what the car parks are like? :eek: There are at least 2 levels of car parking under that.

Just reached 82.0mm here since midnight. Rain has eased off very light now.

There is a small river running along the west side of the centre that has probably
    burst its aqueduct it was running trough, its going to make a big mess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Nightmare journey home. On my route home:
    Dolphin Road along the canal was completely flooded. Went through about 100m long flood at least 2 foot deep. David Road at blackhorse was flooded. Naas road after the Kilmore road junction was flooded. Kylemore road was flooded. Long mile road around Bikeworld was flooded. Nangor Road was flooded. JFK drive (parallell with naas road, along the BMW garage) was flooded.

Italics are floods so bad I wouldn't chance going through them. Was on a motorbike. Most of those floods had a car or 2 broken down in the middle of them! Long mile looked deepest, no one on the side heading towards the Naas road was chancing it. Glad to get home!

My other half stuck in traffic at Islandbridge, said they have been diverted, from Kilmainham I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Heavy rain started again.

Any facts on high tide times.

Time lag to water from the mountain coming down the Liffey?

I did do some hydrology but not enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Any reports of the roads around DCU? I've to drive to college there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭crushproof

High tide between 10 and 10.30 around Dublin, should be interesting to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Did someone post earlier high tide was around 9:30 pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Did someone post earlier high tide was around 9:30 pm?

Depends where ya are. 22.19 for Dublin Port (North Wall) http://www.irishtimes.com/weather/tides.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

Is that blob on the radar that's been crossing Brittany & Cornwall the last hour heading towards our East Coast ?

Wolfe Tone Quay closed in Dublin due to flooding according to AA twitter - that couldn't be the Liffey already breaking banks could it? I thought the banks were much higher on that end. High tide in next two hours - will be interesting.

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote: »
    Wolfe Tone Quay closed in Dublin due to flooding according to AA twitter - that couldn't be the Liffey already breaking banks could it? I thought the banks were much higher on that end. High tide in next two hours - will be interesting.

Possibly, Garda Traffic tweeted:

Parnell Rd, Crumlin Rd, Collinstown Lane and North Quays all closed to traffic due to flooding.

Advertisement