Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

What time is this match on Sunday?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Agree with you totally giveitfong. Wouldnt be at all confident about Maher full back not his position at all. Surprised to see the younger Fives brother starting, just out of minor... He must be going well? Very inexperienced team youd be looking at the more experienced lads to pull us through. Totally agree with what you say about Keaney aswell hes a huge addition to them. I think Dublin will look at this team and think they can take us. But heres hoping.. looking forward to see some of the young lads step up to the plate... nows the time to show potential.

By the way wheres O'Neill of Mount Sion this year? Looked very promising last year was knocking around the senior panel even.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Would be concerned at the inexperience in the backline, especially if Maher plays at FB. Never happy to see nagle in the half backs either, he's not a natural there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭deisedude

By the way wheres O'Neill of Mount Sion this year? Looked very promising last year was knocking around the senior panel even.....

Was wondering the same, he was brilliant last year in the Waterford Crystal

• Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well done to both teams on putting on a very entertaining game today despite the very soft conditions underfoot. From a Waterford point of view another extremely slow start. The Dublin half backs and midfield were completely on top for most of the first half and worringly so. Waterford were lucky to go in at half time only 4 points down.

A strong start to the second half and really we should have pushed on home from there to win it, although all in all a draw was probably a fair result.

Strong performances from Noel Connors, Shane O Sullivan, Richie Foley, Padraigh Mahoney and Wayne Hutchinson when he came on at half time for Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Wasn't at the game today, how did we get on? Were we fortunate to get the draw, were Dublin fortunate to get it or was it a fair result? Just by comparing both teamsheets, my first thought that it wasn't bad considering Dublin had a strong team out and we had a fairly young/inexperienced team. Who would have been our best 1 or 2 and worst 1 or 2?

Thanks.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Wasn't at the game today, how did we get on? Were we fortunate to get the draw, were Dublin fortunate to get it or was it a fair result? Just by comparing both teamsheets, my first thought that it wasn't bad considering Dublin had a strong team out and we had a fairly young/inexperienced team. Who would have been our best 1 or 2 and worst 1 or 2?

Thanks.

Well Dublin were 8 points up at one stage in the first half and totally in control, a couple of late goals from Richie Foley and Seamus Prendergast in the first half saw us go in 4 points behind. We came out of the blocks flying at the start of the second and got to 5 points up at one stage, Dublin didnt score for 23 minutes of the second half. Richie Foley getting the 3rd goal from a pen.

Dublin got a second goal to bring the deficit back to 2 points, and then reduced it to one. The last 5-7 mins was edge of the seat stuff as the teams traded points.

Richie Foley was again the star man for Waterford scoring 2-10, I've named some of the others that well in my other posts. Dont like saying who was the worst, but a few players will be disappointed with their performances. For Dublin, Conal Keaney, Liam Rushe and Thomás Brady stood out with Keaney getting 0-10.

As an aside, the conditons were not suitable to a good free flowing game, with the pitch very soft after all the rain and the teams must be applauded for serving up a highscoring exciting game

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Honestly I think both teams were disappointed not to win tbh. Dublin totally dominated for parts of the first half, but Waterford really got going in the second half and held Dublin scoreless for almost 20minutes I think.

Our backs were in trouble from the word go I think especially Darragh Fives and Jerome Maher, but in fairness to the two of them they were both played out of position and every time they cleared the ball it was back to them within a minute or two.. But most times the ball game in it was either a score or they fouled the Dubliners.
    I think the ref was harsh on Prendergast iswell tbh, the man couldnt move without being pulled down and the first time he got the ball he got a goal.
    I also thought both Mahoneys were very good, few small mistakes but they'll definitely be playing in more games this year, they were both strong.

The second half the backline did a lot better, Fives did alright full back and Hutchinson at half back, though he was badly caught for the goal. Darragh Fives played a lot better in the second half too and Nagle, well Nagle was typical Nagle and did both good(his point was class) and then looking the wrong way when a high ball was coming his way.
    And Foley was pretty good, Im not sure if I was just more focussed on him and saw the mistakes or if he seemed a little complacent at times that caused him a few blunders with passes and hits etc
    Thomas Ryan.... I think he looked about an inch or so taller this year, thats about all that can be said for him tbh :/

Anyone know the last time Hutchinson played for the county?
    Also congrats to Clinton Hennessey on the new baby :)

EDIT: Oh yea and that pitch was awful, it was dug up after the warm ups ffs :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

deise_girl wrote: »

I also thought both Mahoneys were very good, few small mistakes but they'll definitely be playing in more games this year, they were both strong.

Thomas Ryan.... I think he looked about an inch or so taller this year, thats about all that can be said for him tbh :/

The Mahonys were the highlight of the day. 2 definite contenders for a championship place. Pauric was as cool as a cucumber slottin over them points, the 2nd was a masterstroke as well as fetching and breaking puck outs. And as for Philip, battled hard throughout in tough heavy conditions, really looked up for it every throw in he was bustin to get in there and reallly gave 100%. Adrian Power was very reliable under the high ball and played well part from the blunder goal. I felt Shane Fives was a little nervous at times, he had 2 scoring chances gone a stray. The younger brother was dominant in the second half and we'l definitly see more of him. Jerome Maher was very poor and certainly isn't inter-county class. IMO the full forward line was very poor. Ryan and Casey are very average , and although good in the air Seamie just seemed too slow.

Overall a good performance. The Fives', the Mahonys and Power will definitly be given another chance. However i feel Maher, Casey and Ryan won't make the cut. It was clear they lacked that touch of class the other youngsters had. I'd like to see Paidi Prendergastt and Eamon Murphy in the corners ahead of Casey and Ryan next time out. We'd see what they're made of.

Credit to Davy for playing the younger lads today, keep up the trend!

Cheers lads, seems plenty of positives to be taken then. The Mahony's getting good reviews bodes very well, hopefully they'll continue to impress.
    Should be showing a bit of the game on Sunday Sport at 8 so should be worth a look.
    Wexford demolished by Galway today and we have the Model men next Sunday in Wexford I believe? Hopefully we get our first win there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

If you've got half a day to spare (got a bit carried away today), you can read a long-winded match report, full of errors and omissions, here.

deiseach wrote: »
    If you've got half a day to spare (got a bit carried away today), you can read a long-winded match report, full of errors and omissions, here.

Nice write up deiseach, you have a readable, original style. well played and keep em coming

Good, insightful report thanks for that and as Kev said keep 'em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Firstly, I wouldn't be inclined to complain about players making errors when the ball was on the ground or on the bounce. I walked across the field after the match and the surface was atrocious - really uneven and full of holes.

Dublin had a strong team out, were really up for it and well drilled, and obviously had been doing a lot of ball work. Their first touch was generally very good and their snappy handpassing and ball movement showed signs of intensive coaching. They also have a lot of players able to win the ball in the air, an area in which Waterford have become much worse in recent years.

Waterford had several novice players for whom a game at this level of skill, speed and intensity was a big step up. Happily, all the players concerned - the two Mahonys and Darragh Fives - came out of the game with credit. It was good to see Eamonn Murphy also coming on, although too late to get into the game. This means that we had three of last year's minors playing today. We also had several players (Adrian Power, Jerome Maher, Shane Fives, Wayne Hutchinson, Shane Casey, Tomás Ryan) with very limited senior experience. To get a draw (and nearly a win) against a good Dublin team was a fair achievement in the circumstances.

Adrian Power was drafted in as Clinton Hennessy's wife had a babby the night before - congratulations to all concerned! Power had no chance with the first goal and was distracted by Dotsie O'Callaghan's challenge (unable to tell whether he made contact with the ball) for the second. Dotsie should have been tracked by his marker, Noel Connors. Otherwise Power dealt very capably with everything that came his way and produced one trademark blinding save in the first half, although I would prefer if he went out along the end line rather than straight out when clearing his lines. With Stephen O'Keeffe as understudy, we certainly are well served in this position at the moment.

To be fair to Jerome Maher, in my experience he has always performed well when brought in by Waterford before. I thought it was unfair to play him out of position at full back against a taller and physically much bigger Liam Rushe. Waterford did move quickly to put Shane Fives in full back where he should have started, but I agree that Maher should have been given at least some more time playing with the wind (and a much more fired-up team) in the second half. That said, Wayne Hutchinson did well when he came in at wing back - although he was caught for pace when chasing Declan O'Dwyer in the lead-up to Dublin's second goal.

Darragh Fives struggled a bit in the air against his man when moved out to wing back, but seemed to do better when moved back into the corner in the second half (with the sun it was hard to see clearly what was going on around the Waterford fullback line in the second half - rewatching the game on TV didn't improve things a whole lot).

Brick looked a bit lackadaisical in the first half but came into the game strongly after half time. Jamie Nagle struggled badly in the air against Conal Keaney in the first half and I was surprised that there was not at least a switch here. However, as usual he also did a lot of good things but for me he doesn't have the physicality or prowess in the air to make a top-class wing back.

Speaking of which, Philip Mahony certainly has filled out since I saw him last. He is now very powerfully built and is able to use it. His striking is also top class and he hit a fair bit of ball, especially in the second half. Although he is playing in midfield for UCC, I think he is a more natural halfback and I would have liked to see him switch with Nagle. His midfield partner and uncle, Shane O'Sullivan, had an excellent game throughout and has really come on in the last year.

It would be semi-reassuring to think that Stephen Molumphy was played on the wing (and at corner forward in the second half) in order to accommodate Philip Mahony at centre field, but you have to remember that Davy Fitz played him in the full forward line for much of last year's championship and out on the wing in the semi-final against Tipperary. This is an extraordinary waste of a player with Molumphy's engine and ability to win dirty ball around the middle of the field. He was absolutely outstanding in this role in the Crystal Cup final the previous week.

Richie Foley made a couple of mistakes and took a couple of wrong options, but overall he had a terrific game apart from his free-taking, including 1-2 from play. He is beginning to emerge as a serious centre forward option given his mobility and support play. The physicality of the game was a bit much for Paudie Mahony at times, but when he did get on the ball he looked very good indeed and hit two smashing points.

Conditions like today do not suit light and speedy corner forwards like Shane Casey and Tomás Ryan for whom a good first touch is vital. I thought that Casey did okay and worked hard but Ryan simply wasn't at the races and looks like someone with zero confidence. Seamus Prendergast had another good outing at full forward, bagging 1-1 and earning several frees (including the penalty from which Richie Foley got Waterford's third goal). Like last week he had to endure a lot of fouling which went unpunished by the referee. Also like last week, Ken McGrath looked lost when he came on.

Anthony Daly made some very astute moves on the Dublin sideline. When Waterford took over in the second half and Adrian Power was sending bombs down with the aid of the wind, be brought Liam Rushe back, and Tomás Brady out, to the half back line and both won an ocean of ball in the last 20 minutes, thus helping to break Waterford's dominance. At the same time, for some reason he had John McCaffrey hitting the long distance frees in the second half, even though Conal Keaney had landed some monsters in the first half. McCaffrey took at least three frees from the midfield area, and failed to score from any of them.

It is obvious that Conal Keaney is a huge addition to the Dublin team with his strength, vision, ability in the air and freetaking. Shane Ryan also played some good hurling before being substituted in the second half. Liam Rushe is also getting stronger and is a right handful with his size, ability in the air and footwork. With McCrabbe, Gough, Derek Treacy and Ryan O'Dwyer to come in, Dublin could be a serious outfit this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

a good game to start the league, disappointed that we didn't get the win but I still think alot of positives to be taken from the game, like I think Davy knows this could be his final chance with us and he still dosen't feel the urge to put out big names, he rathers give the youth a chance and yesterdays game will stand to the likes of the Mahonys and fives etc etc

I think it is great to see that Richie score so many, like if you look at Dublin they are relying on Conal kearney still to score for them and be their main man.... here we have a new relatively guy who looks like he has a bright future being our main man.....instead of our own tried and tested match winners popping up and doing well for us

I think it is great to see that Richie score so many, like if you look at Dublin they are relying on Conal kearney still to score for them and be their main man.... here we have a new relatively guy who looks like he has a bright future being our main man.....instead of our own tried and tested match winners popping up and doing well for us[/QUOTE]

Wouldnt be getting carried away about Richie Foley being our main man and chief scorer leading us into the future. Ive been watching Richie with years and I can honestly say its the first time he's ever played in the forwards. He always been half back or midfield. Fair play to him Davy is giving him a chance to do something new and hes going well at centre forward and relishing the role. Its the early stages of the league and to be honest things are still in friendly game mode. Still, it gives us more options in the forwards when the more experienced guys are back.

I think it is great to see that Richie score so many, like if you look at Dublin they are relying on Conal kearney still to score for them and be their main man.... here we have a new relatively guy who looks like he has a bright future being our main man.....instead of our own tried and tested match winners popping up and doing well for us

Wouldnt be getting carried away about Richie Foley being our main man and chief scorer leading us into the future. Ive been watching Richie with years and I can honestly say its the first time he's ever played in the forwards. He always been half back or midfield. Fair play to him Davy is giving him a chance to do something new and hes going well at centre forward and relishing the role. Its the early stages of the league and to be honest things are still in friendly game mode. Still, it gives us more options in the forwards when the more experienced guys are back.[/QUOTE]

I'm not getting carried away, I simply stated it is nice some new blood step up to the plate....... lets be honest he has been scoring freely this past couple of weeks and its nice to see that we have guys of such capabilities to support our limited free scoring players

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

wexford vs waterford on sunday....

god help wexford..... this sunday at home....

:(:(

We cant afford to read much into Wexfords result on Sunday.. Id be weary of a big wexford backlash on Sunday... They will be hurting. Wexford are a proud hurling county and they are better than this. With the Oulart lads coming back aswell we have to treat this as a do or die match

We cant afford to read much into Wexfords result on Sunday.. Id be weary of a big wexford backlash on Sunday... They will be hurting. Wexford are a proud hurling county and they are better than this. With the Oulart lads coming back aswell we have to treat this as a do or die match

No amount of hurt, and pride generated by hurt, has been able to bring Wexford up to the level where they can even get close to Kilkenny. If we can't beat Wexford on Sunday we might as well forget about the rest of the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I suppose could you say Dublin have improved the last few years? Would love to see them win a Leinster Title.
    Waterford should beat Wexford on Sunday but id always be weary of teams we meet

Although before I get too het up about events in the winter, check out this report on a challenge match I found in the Munster Express while researching Waterford's inter-county hurling results:
    Shortage of space necessitated holding over until this week the full story of Waterford’s hurling debacle on St. Patrick’s Day.

The future if one can possess faith in such, is anything but bright for Waterford hurling. The Decies prestige and reputation slumped to unprecedented depths by the Leeside when Cork, in effortless fashion, handed out a thirty-three points trouncing to the visitors. Ironically enough, Waterford were fortunate to escape with such a deficit.

[...] While examining the pros and cons of the present position one must bear in mind that suitable inter-county material within the county is limited, and the immediate prospects appear far from rosy.

The date? 26 March 1959.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It could be a good weekend for Waterford GAA or it could be terrible.

Saturday- De la salle vs Clarinbridge .Thurles 3.30pm All ireland Senior Hurling Club Semi Final 2010/11.

Sunday- Wexford vs Waterford-NHL Divison 1 Round 2 Wexford Park Wexford 2.30

Sunday- Waterford vs Limerick- NFL Divison 3 Round 2 Fraher Field Dungarvan 2.30

Would be a great weekend to win all 3. Have a bad feeling about the De la salle game though

Obviously losing to Wexford would be disastrous, but if I could win only one game this weekend it'd be De La Salle's. It would be some lift for them to win the All-Ireland, even if it'd only be a vicarious thrill for the rest of us.

Id rather the footballers win if i was to pick one, they need a win, cos it was a big disappointment getting a hiding last week, it would be a disaster to slip right back to division 4 after the strides we made last year

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Hope the hurlers win and the footballers lose. I cant see the point why we put out a football team, waterford haven't a hope in hell winning an all ireland playing galeic football. Waterford needs to focus on their strengths. It's time we give football the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

That's a ridiculous statement to make. It's like saying all teams below the Premier League in England shouldn't bother playing anymore because they won't win the biggest prize on offer. I hate bringing different sports into the equation but I had to draw up a similarity somehow to prove your point is simply lacking any substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

alllcounty wrote: »
    Hope the hurlers win and the footballers lose. I cant see the point why we put out a football team, waterford haven't a hope in hell winning an all ireland playing galeic football. Waterford needs to focus on their strengths. It's time we give football the boot.

Just wrong on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

No, its a very valid opinion. Too many gaa clubs in waterford sadly focus on the wrong sport. The likes of Kilmacthomas for example are more concerned with kicking a ball around instead of playing hurling. Who in waterford cares if waterford win, lose or draw playing gaelic football. No body goes to their matchs, and rightly so plus they are weaking the strength and depth of the hurling base in waterford. Clubs like Kilmac, Kilrossanty etc are an embarrsment to the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

alllcounty wrote: »
    No, its a very valid opinion

I disagree.
    Too many gaa clubs in waterford sadly focus on the wrong sport.

There is no 'wrong' sport. In 30 years if Waterford had an amazing football team and a useless hurling team, would hurling be the 'wrong' sport in this county?
    The likes of Kilmacthomas for example are more concerned with kicking a ball around instead of playing hurling.

...and?
    Who in waterford cares if waterford win, lose or draw playing gaelic football.

Quite a lot of people do actually.
    No body goes to their matchs, and rightly so plus they are weaking the strength and depth of the hurling base in waterford.

6-7 years ago we had probably the worst football team in the county. Now we're a division 3 team, competing with some top, top counties and are edging closer to a first Munster final appearance in over 50 years. Just saying.
    Clubs like Kilmac, Kilrossanty etc are an embarrsment to the county.

You want to kill every gaelic football team in the county. I think we all know who the embarrassment is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement