Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo rolling out this week

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

No real news on the O2 forum about when it'll be coming out on their phones. Might have to root it if it takes much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Keith186 wrote: »
    Good stuff. Press menu, settings, about phone, system software, check for updates and repeat until you get it! Could be a while tho.

I'm on a flashed froyo sense Rom, much the same as 2.1 but much faster and a few nice add ons...

I tried this for ages last night on my Meteor Bill Pay unbranded, unrooted Desire and cant get it to find the update. Am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I ripped these instructions off XDA-developers forum from a guy called SIMobil: Only try it if you know what you are doing, otherwise, wait for the update to be pushed out. It worked for my friend's phone which was also not picking up the update:
    This will backup and restore your contacts etc automatically
    1. Grab : http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_F...crut4wrv30.zip
    2. Copy the file to your microSD card and name it update.zip (newb warning: not update.zip.zip)
    3. Power off your phone.
    4. Hold down the VOLUME DOWN button and power it back on.
    5. The phone will now search for files like PB00IMG.zip, etc. This is normal. Scroll down to recovery and press the POWER button.
    6. When you see the /!\ symbol, press the POWER button and the Volume Up button at the same time. You should be presented with a menu and one of the options should be "Apply sdcard:update.zip".
    7. Use the trackball to navigate to "apply sdcard:update.zip" and select it.
    8. When you see "Install from sdcard complete", select "reboot system now".

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eamonpendergast

I'm still unable to get this update for the Desire, been trying repeatidly since Tuesday with no luck. I'm on Vodafone Bill Pay, unrooted phone etc

Are there many people still unable to get the update, or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm still unable to get this update for the Desire, been trying repeatidly since Tuesday with no luck. I'm on Vodafone Bill Pay, unrooted phone etc

Are there many people still unable to get the update, or is it just me?
    You're gonna have to do it manually if it isn't being sent out to you. Just follow the instructions above your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Will I lose root on my unlocked, unbranded Desire if I follow the instructions in post #156 to get the official 2.2 update?

I ripped these instructions off XDA-developers forum from a guy called SIMobil: Only try it if you know what you are doing, otherwise, wait for the update to be pushed out. It worked for my friend's phone which was also not picking up the update:
    2. Copy the file to your microSD card and name it update.zip (newb warning: not update.zip.zip)
    3. Power off your phone.
    5. The phone will now search for files like PB00IMG.zip, etc. This is normal. Scroll down to recovery and press the POWER button.
    6. When you see the /!\ symbol, press the POWER button and the Volume Up button at the same time. You should be presented with a menu and one of the options should be "Apply sdcard:update.zip".

This worked a treat for me, very simple and straight forward. Thanks, delighted with the updates that came with Froyo! Brilliant!!

3. Power off your phone.
    Does your phone need to be rooted to do this?

Nope, it's the official update, just doing it manually rather than waiting to get the notification (which was taking ages for me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

Nope, it's the official update, just doing it manually rather than waiting to get the notification (which was taking ages for me).

Does this work with a branded o2 desire? Does it work on any phone?

• Advertisement

My understanding is that it only works for unbranded phones ie. VF & Meteor. I think you'd have to root yours.

My understanding is that it only works for unbranded phones ie. VF & Meteor. I think you'd have to root yours.

Cool, thanks for that. Doesn't look like o2 will be releasing the update before the end of August so looks like I'll be rooting.

Bold move, good luck with that! You know you'll void your warranty?

Bold move, good luck with that! You know you'll void your warranty?

Yeah, but I'ts ridiculous that they are taking so long to roll out an update when there is very minimal branding on the device. It's like if I bought a laptop from a ISP and they wouldn't let windows update until they decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Yeah sorry for not making that clear. A sticky would be handy for the desire as all the good info gets buried. I havent even rooted mine yet since it was unbranded and unlocked already.

That's a good way to put it actually. To be honest I though I'd be in the same boat myself, delighted to find out that I would have to wait another month like Vodafone UK!

Balls, mine is o2. Was going to root it yesterday but didn't have a clue what I was at so gave up. Looks like I'll be waiting till next year for the o2 update

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Balls, mine is o2. Was going to root it yesterday but didn't have a clue what I was at so gave up. Looks like I'll be waiting till next year for the o2 update

Is it not the Gold card that is required for the unlocked but branded devices?

I know that is what I had to do on my o2 one - however I also did the 1 click root before the froyo release, but not sure if that was required if staying with stock ROMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You don't lose your warranty if you root. You only lose your software warranty and not your hardware warranty. That's a null point regardless as you can easily "unroot" the phone if you need to return it for warranty.

Root it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Perrin2040

Probably a stupid question thats been asked before, but can you root your phone after installing Froyo, I upgraded to Froyo using the method on page 11 and was going to root to use market enabler, but i wasnt sure if rooting is possible (yet) on Froyo.

And yes i should have considered this before updating :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Dammer wrote: »
    Will I lose root on my unlocked, unbranded Desire if I follow the instructions in post #156 to get the official 2.2 update?

If so, can Froyo be rooted yet?

Bumping my post as I'm still unsure / scared / terrified! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kevin dublin

Got the Froyo update, on Vodafone bill pay.

I thought the camera app was updated? I can now select 720p on the video side but the GUI is the same?

Other reviews of Froyo said the camera app GUI got a complete overhaul?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I thought the camera app was updated? I can now select 720p on the video side but the GUI is the same?

the icons rotate when you rotate the phone (to the left _and_ right now).

nereid wrote: »
    the icons rotate when you rotate the phone (to the left _and_ right now).

Thanks for the reply.

I was reading other reviews of Froyo & a few of them said the entire Photo app. had been updated: http://www.androidcentral.com/froyo-feature-3d-gallery-and-camera-changes-android-22

Just curious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Perhaps ours is a HTC app...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Thanks for the reply.

I was reading other reviews of Froyo & a few of them said the entire Photo app. had been updated: http://www.androidcentral.com/froyo-feature-3d-gallery-and-camera-changes-android-22

Just curious :D

That article is from May 26th when Froyo 2.2 FRF50 for the Nexus One had leaked. It's about the changes made to the stock camera app and stock 3D gallery. A lot of what's on the Desire isn't standard and has been modified quite a bit by HTC. There are a lot of subtle little differences between the two phones which are only really noticed when you have them side by side. I haven't seen an apk for the camera yet but there's one for the 3D gallery floating around the internet somewhere if you wanted it.

That article is from May 26th when Froyo 2.2 FRF50 for the Nexus One had leaked. It's about the changes made to the stock camera app and stock 3D gallery. A lot of what's on the Desire isn't standard and has been modified quite a bit by HTC. There are a lot of subtle little differences between the two phones which are only really noticed when you have them side by side. I haven't seen an apk for the camera yet but there's one for the 3D gallery floating around the internet somewhere if you wanted it.

Hi,

Really appreciate the informative reply:D All makes sense now.

I've noticed my Desire is a but more nippy with Froyo, especially web access.

All the best

Kevin

Advertisement