Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Took a quick drive between j6+j7 this morning and took a few pics.
    Heres a map to show picture locations.
    4413579752_1fcbe3f12f_o.jpg
    Picture1- looking north
    4412812047_2e69fc367d_o.jpg
    Picture2- looking south
    4412812551_ab922863c5_o.jpg
    Picture3- looking north
    4413581604_fc74bc92f6_o.jpg
    Picture4- looking south
    4413582198_8a92e0f2f2_o.jpg
    Picture5- looking north
    4412814451_4857769fdc_o.jpg
    Picture6- looking south
    4413583394_e6c492a0a8_o.jpg
    Picture7- looking north
    4413583990_e4d12d07cd_o.jpg
    Picture8- looking south showing Paulstown junction and plenty of machinery parked up
    4413584712_9319ee91bd_o.jpg
    The new roundabout on the short link to the n10 is now basically complete. The further link road across to the n9 is much less advanced and there has been no start to the roundabout on the n10(im presuming there is to be one).

All in all the scheme between these junctions is very advanced and wearing course and lines would go a long way towards finishing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Incredible photos, especially the last one of J7.

Thanks Roryhy!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

I think I'm obsessing about BAM's performance but it's hard to get it out of my system when you look at Roodbridge's continued excellent construction management as seen in Roryhy's pictures.

If you take the Ballygearda rooad (between south Knocktopher and Newmarket - not via the main road) you'll pass under the new M9 and you'll be shocked how poor the road condition is almost two years after the overbridge was completed. The road was never good but BAM's complete disregard for local road users is astonishing - or maybe it's all explained by their incompentence.

Kilkenny CoCo's lack of willingless or ability to tackle this is frsutrating as is the absence of local media willing to get stuck into these failings and the impact on the people who live on the route or who need to use it.

I know it'll all be history in a few weeks but I think we owe it to all future infrastructure projects to ensure the press is made well aware of BAM's complete and abject failure delivering this project professionally or to schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Driving on the roundabout at the 'bottom' of the new M9 today, I thought, isn't it a bit strange, or if not unusual then perhaps not a good idea that a motorway ends at what is effectively a STOP sign?

I can foresee problems when doing 120km/h southwards, come round a bend and see a tail of traffic waiting to get onto the roundabout on a Friday evening.

I know the N25 and new bridge were a different project, but surely it would not have been impossible, and would have been sensible, to integrate the M9 with the N25 at the Grannagh Roundabout, with slipways etc, to help traffic flow?

Or is this yet another example of things in this country not quite being done 'right'?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

alinton wrote: »
    I know the N25 and new bridge were a different project, but surely it would not have been impossible, and would have been sensible, to integrate the M9 with the N25 at the Grannagh Roundabout, with slipways etc, to help traffic flow?

I have to agree, this will all have to be integrated at expense to the tax payer at a later date.

I would have liked a non stop sliproad onto the N25 (bridge). How busy is traffic travelling on the N24 towards Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dont get me started on the M9/N25 junction complex ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Driving on the roundabout at the 'bottom' of the new M9 today, I thought, isn't it a bit strange, or if not unusual then perhaps not a good idea that a motorway ends at what is effectively a STOP sign?

I can foresee problems when doing 120km/h southwards, come round a bend and see a tail of traffic waiting to get onto the roundabout on a Friday evening.

A.
    No rumble strips then?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

This new section of motorway from Waterford, where does it stop? Is it stopping at Danesfort or Kilkenny? (that's the section opening on 22nd March)

I was just thinking the same thing today. If it stops at Danesfort, you could have huge tailbacks in the mornings and rush hour. This area gets a lot of fog ...... queue, fog, 120kph road, Irish people not able to drive properly on motorways ... I wont say any more !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MisterCrown

Another reason to believe that the 22nd March opening is going ahead. Kilkenny County Council are temporarily closing the Grannagh to Railway Bridge section of road now that people will be able to use the new motorway instead.

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSS_Roads_Notices/TempClosureofRoadsGrannaghtoRailwayBridgeandLP3401KilmacowRdatJunctionwithR448from19Apr10to9July10.shortcut.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Another reason to believe that the 22nd March opening is going ahead. Kilkenny County Council are temporarily closing the Grannagh to Railway Bridge section of road now that people will be able to use the new motorway instead.

Thats an interesting find. The current layout is a mess at the moment so its good to she that area get a rebuild.

Also noticed on the KCC site that the roadworks on the N10 ring road in Kilkenny will end on March 19th which makes sense for a March 22nd M9 opening.

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSS_Roads_Notices/Ongoing_Road_Improvement_Works_Kilkenny_City.shortcut.html

Or is this yet another example of things in this country not quite being done 'right'?

A.

It is a pity there was no free flow lane put in. However I have to say since the Waterford bypass opened, at the Newrath roundabout where the N9 currently meets the N24 there are few problems and thats a similarly sized roundabout. Even in the morning peak, queues are only about 4 or 5 car lengths long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

22nd is a nailed on certainty now. Local info is that the Carolls hotel in Knocktopher is booked for that date for a reception. The opening will aparently take place at the Knocktopher junction.

Walked 5Km of the road yesterday - it seems ready now! However, the politicians and the NRA want their jolly! Just surprised they chose Carolls over Mount Juliet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

lotie wrote: »
    22nd is a nailed on certainty now. Local info is that the Carolls hotel in Knocktopher is booked for that date for a reception. The opening will aparently take place at the Knocktopher junction.

Walked 5Km of the road yesterday - it seems ready now! However, the politicians and the NRA want their jolly! Just surprised they chose Carolls over Mount Juliet!

From the NRA today:
    Thank you for your email. I confirm that the M9 Waterford Knocktopher scheme is opening on March 22nd 2010.

So exactly 2 weeks to go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is this likely to be a morning or evening opening? I'm really just interested as I will be driving from Dublin to Waterford that day. It would be nice to use the new stretch of road for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bards

Kahless wrote: »
    Is this likely to be a morning or evening opening? I'm really just interested as I will be driving from Dublin to Waterford that day. It would be nice to use the new stretch of road for that.

Opening Cermony is being held at 12 noon - so I would imagine by 14:30ish it should be open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

At long last.............24km...3 years and 1 month!

lotie wrote: »

I am delighted this road is to open. I was stuck behind a JCB from Lukeswell to Ballyhale this morning - top speed was 28KPH.

I'm also surprised they didn't choose Mount Juliet as it is so close and would make for more prestigious photo shoots - lets face it they love their photo shoots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

can anyone tell me what the estimated travel time from waterford to end of the new section (knocktopher?) will take? just trying to see how long it'll take me to do my regular drive to athy.

My estimation is 12 mins from the start of the scheme to the end.
    24kms / 120kph = .2 *60 ... might be very rough calculation but certainly cheers me up considering this journey currently takes about 33 mins.

I recently drove from Dublin and worked out that on the old N9 from the end of the current Carlow scheme to Waterford, although it says 100kph, you only effectively do 73kph due to going through the small towns like Thomastown and Mullinavat as well as slow moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Lads - you're breaking my heart here. Going back to post 1891, I thought it was Waterford to Danesford that was supposed to be opening on the 22nd?

Please tell me that this is a bad dream, brought on by the plum pudding I had for my supper. It is Waterford to Danesford - please?????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I imagine the official opening is for the Waterford-Knocktopher scheme. But Roadbridge have had the Knocktopher-Danesfort section of their scheme ready for ages now, so they're going to open theirs as soon as Waterford-Knocktopher is opened from what I know.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

smdweb wrote: »
    My estimation is 12 mins from the start of the scheme to the end.
    24kms / 120kph = .2 *60 ... might be very rough calculation but certainly cheers me up considering this journey currently takes about 33 mins.

I recently drove from Dublin and worked out that on the old N9 from the end of the current Carlow scheme to Waterford, although it says 100kph, you only effectively do 73kph due to going through the small towns like Thomastown and Mullinavat as well as slow moving traffic.

wow! 12mins! thats amazing. it'll almost be commutable daily

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

Pardon my ignorance,but is there to be a toll on this road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

There will be no toll on the M9.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

BluntGuy wrote: »
    There will be no toll on the M9.

Sorry if this is OT but how was it decided that the M9 gets no Toll and other motorways have multiple Tolls?
    Is it related to bottlenecks on the original N routes that are being bypassed?

Possibly a decision by the Minister for Waterford. The N25 Waterford bypass has a toll though.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Some stretches were built under PPP schemes (i.e Fermoy, Kinnegad, Waterford) before the Government created Transport 21 under which, the MIUs were allocated.

The M7/M8 section at Portlaoise is Transport 21 I believe and that has a toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I reckon the M9 wasnt tolled due to the low AADT on the whole route would not gather back enough profit over the 30 year lifespan of the PPP. So the NRA probably decided to fund this with taxpayers money. Other routes like the M18 and M20 wont be tolled either only shadow tolled as the AADT will not generate enough money for the PPP concessionaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Stark wrote: »
    The M7/M8 section at Portlaoise is Transport 21 I believe and that has a toll.

Think that was planned as early as 2001 or 2002.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

What a bit of luck, a new motorway that will have so little traffic on it, there is no toll. This road is going to be a dream to drive on. Hopefully it stays that way, even (as I expect) the traffic volumes build up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement