Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Looks like 2 seperate pieces of work; the Barndarig piece and the site clearance work between Jack Whites and the Arklow bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Hi all,

New to posting on this webgroup but have read others posts many times over the years. Although living in the UK I have an active interest in the developing Irish motorway network.

I drove the M11 Gorey bypass recently at night and was surprised at how difficult it was to read the blue luminous motorway signs. It seems that there has been a problem with the application of the luminous paint in that some areas do not "shine" but stay dull instead.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the habit of blocking out the lettering with grey spray paint prior to opening new stretches of road and then presumably respraying them later. It's very rare on Irish roads to have signs with dedicated downlighting, but this needs to be done I reckon. Otherwise you can only read the signs (at night) when you are very close to them.

Anyone else notice this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You sure it wasn't just dew? This happens here in Germany as well sometimes. There are better, dew resistant sheetings available but downlighting does indeed clear the problem up properly. I think we should illuminate all motorway signage too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

I suppose dew would be possible, but not very common at night. The dull areas seemed to outline areas where the text had changed.

I don't think I have noticed this on the M8 or M50 or M11 Bray bypass so may be specific to the Gorey bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd say it's dew alright, you see it a lot on the M6 at night.
    The signs are reflective not luminous, luminous means glow in the dark.

Why would you need to light up signs on a motorway? aMurph? haven't motor vehicles got headlights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've noticed this on signs also - I've generally assumed its where signs have been sprayed over with whatever they use to obscure them in advance (this stuff doesn't seem to come off as easily as it should).

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

i drove the m6/m4 yesterday and noticed the same thing.i think this is something that needs to be addressed and as for the n6 section [athlone bypass]very poor.you have to nearly park up on the hard shoulder to have a chance of working out whats on these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I think I brought this up before, but there IS a need for some independently illuminated signage on our motorways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

be cheaper to put a few pertinent signs at head height , eg

Junction 3 8km
    Junction 4 21km
    Junction 5 44km

followed by

Ballymagog 10km
    Dunroarin 26km
    Liscutter 46km

One set like that between junctions per direction about 3x3m 5400m apart , cheaper than getting the bloody ESB out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

It's usually dew (actually very common from Autumn - can be pretty much every night at times), or indeed, frozen dew/ice when it gets colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd say it's dew alright, you see it a lot on the M6 at night.
    The signs are reflective not luminous, luminous means glow in the dark.

Why would you need to light up signs on a motorway? aMurph? haven't motor vehicles got headlights?
    to counter the problem reported in this thread. If the dew is severe enough no measure of retrofelctive surface will work, especially on gantries.

murphaph wrote: »
    to counter the problem reported in this thread. If the dew is severe enough no measure of retrofelctive surface will work, especially on gantries.

How would lighting it up by a light not a headlight fix this?

Unless you mean the plastic gantries they used in France that were lit internally?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Newlands/M11 gap in 2011

Have you a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

In the Wicklow Draft County Plan 2010-2016 (long way off) there is a plan to upgrade the N11 to D3 as far as Glen of the Downs, remove a few junctions off the Bray bypass and add another interchange to the Arklow Bypass. It also confirms that Rathnew/Arklow is to be motorway and not Type 2 DC:
    Works Objectives for the N11 (see Map 11.01 in this chapter)
    - The Rathnew to Arklow North upgrade, comprising the upgrading of the existing single carriageway
    route to dual carriageway / motorway standard (Road objective (A) Map 11.01);
    - The provision of a third interchange on the Arklow by-pass, linking the N11 to Vale Road, which
    would allow direct access from the N11 to the R747 to Woodenbridge, Aughrim and the southwest
    of the County and to the proposed future Arklow Western Distributor Road;
    - Upgrading (including widening to three lanes) between the County boundary and Kilmacanogue /
    Glen Of The Downs and the provision of free flow junctions at the Killarney Road interchange
    (Road objective (B) Map 11.01);
    - Removal of Herbert Road and Silver Bridge junctions by the provision of a collector road between
    Dargle Road and Killarney Road (Road objective (B) Map 11.01).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

nordydan wrote: »
    In the Wicklow Draft County Plan 2010-2016 (long way off) there is a plan to upgrade the N11 to D3 as far as Glen of the Downs, remove a few junctions off the Bray bypass and add another interchange to the Arklow Bypass. It also confirms that Rathnew/Arklow is to be motorway and not Type 2 DC:
    These objectives are all great news. It also implies that the 6-laning will continue north over the border into county Dublin, at least as far as the M11/M50 split, and maybe as far as Sandyford.

Note the the M11 part of the Bray bypass won't have any junctions removed; it's the messy DC section after the motorway ends that's getting cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

spacetweek wrote: »
    These objectives are all great news. It also implies that the 6-laning will continue north over the border into county Dublin, at least as far as the M11/M50 split, and maybe as far as Sandyford.

Note the the M11 part of the Bray bypass won't have any junctions removed; it's the messy DC section after the motorway ends that's getting cleaned up.
    Great, I can hardly wait for the chaos that will ensue when that's being done (not). My experience with this stretch is that the majority of the problems in the rush hour result from incompetent drivers who can't cope with busy traffic and merging rather than any real capacity problems as such. Same goes for the M50/M11 merge where drivers seem to lose all ability to drive properly when it becomes even slightly busy.

Anyway, I can't realistically see where they're going to get the space from .. it's a pretty tight squeeze there where the new pedestrian overbridge is.

Closing off the Herbert Road junction and forcing all the traffic into the southern end of Bray via the Killarney Road will be 'fun' too, although it will depend a bit on where this new 'collector road' will be. There's quiet a bit of height gain to be overcome between the Dargle Valley where the N11 is and where an eventual road would join up to (northern end of Herbert road, I presume), which would make for some interesting engineering challenges I think, not to mention all the houses on the upper slopes of the land overlooking the valley.

Isn't it already pretty tight at the onslip from the northernmost junction(No idea of the junction no's) between old Bray and Shankill to the M11S? the acceletation slip is short because it has to merge before the Old Connacht road bridge?

spacetweek wrote: »

As one package, I suppose they could:

-Widen the M50 between J14&J17 to D3M
    -Widen the M11 between J4&J5 to D3M+1
    -Widen the M11 between J5&J6 to D3M
    -Widen the N11 between J6&J7 to D3, with a lane drop/gain at J7
    -Widen the N11 between J7&J8 to D2+1
    -Close of there access to these roads indicated
    -CPO the petrol station at J8 S/B and adjoining business

Junction numbers here (generally unsigned)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

It might be a while before it ever happens given there are no new projects starting in 2010 and only 2 in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Hi,
    Thanks for an update :) So what date aprox. they can start doing something with this road? It would be sweet to have it... Gorey-Bray everyday isnt best way of spending time :) This would make it shorter trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

A little off track, but does anyone know if Wicklow Co co have replaced the Welcome to Wicklow signs on the N11 that were removed a good while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Son of Stupido

Looks like a plan to upgrade to motorway.

bout time, although I am sure there will be a speed restriction at Glen of the Downs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If they could do something about that car park entrance/exit at the Glen of the Downs, they could remove the speed limit.

Another interchange to the Arklow bypass would be good for accessing the R747 imo.

The signage for Junction 5 N/B on the M11 has been upgraded at some stage in the last few weeks.
    Interestingly, its signed as an L road (Old Connaught Road), which I think is the only L-road signed directly off a motorway(?)

An new RCS with distances is in place southbound

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

The signage for Junction 5 N/B on the M11 has been upgraded at some stage in the last few weeks.
    Interestingly, its signed as an L road (Old Connaught Road), which I think is the only L-road signed directly off a motorway(?)

An new RCS with distances is in place southbound

Actually could some explain to me why this junction is Junction 5?

Is this something to do with the fact that the M50 Eastern Bypass was supposed to connect with Junction 13 of the M50, and therefore the current Junctions 14-17 on the M50 would become Junctions 1 - 4 on an extended M11? Or did they just pick a number at random for the junction?

Jayuu wrote: »
    Actually could some explain to me why this junction is Junction 5?

Is this something to do with the fact that the M50 Eastern Bypass was supposed to connect with Junction 13 of the M50, and therefore the current Junctions 14-17 on the M50 would become Junctions 1 - 4 on an extended M11? Or did they just pick a number at random for the junction?

Yeah I think that's the case and would make sense. There are zero plans for GSJ's on the existing N11 into Dublin (as far as I know)

Edit: There are still no telephones on the redesginated sections of the M11 in Wicklow as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I noticed the Jn 5 sign going north too this week and couldn't work out how they'd come up with 5. Seemed random to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

BigMoose wrote: »
    I noticed the Jn 5 sign going north too this week and couldn't work out how they'd come up with 5. Seemed random to me!

Its been Junction 5 for years. Haven't been out that way in a while but I did direct a show in Bray last year and every time I came off at Junction 5, I always wondered about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

By my reckoning J1 is at Belfield; J2 at Wyatville Rd; J3 is the roundabout at the start of the M11, J4 is the M11 number for the M11/M50 merge. That would make Bray (North) Junction 5.

If they use letters to denote all the other road junctions between the Belfield flyover and Cherrywood (as seen on the Naas Rd and N4) then the junction with the housing estate just before J2 would be Junction 1X! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

I think it is future proofing in case the eastern by pass is built. If it was built it would join the current m50 at the Sandyford intersection (and be designated m50). Everything after Sandyford junction (heading towards Wexford) would be designated n11. The junctions would then be renumbered. The Stillorgan Dual carriageway would become a regional road. I think the NRA wants N road designation to be revoked within the M50

{just noticed this had been said previously}

Advertisement