Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deputies Deasy and Mitchell's comments in the media

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Careful now! That video might be taken out of context by the snoops,spies and political bots that slither by here occasionally,as construing that shooting here in Ireland is done with full auto stuff and is actually FUN! :rolleyes::D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, so here's what it actually looks like :D

rrpc wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that nothing we're doing at the moment is actually an Olympic event.
    Well. Nothing in the .22 line :p
    (air pistol is in the olympic programme for those wondering)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote: »
    Yeah, so here's what it actually looks like :D

Linky no worky.
    'Embedding disabled by request'

Link to YouTube page-
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=o8QuLYXKNCg

Gah. That doesn't show up when you look at it in youtube first (Firefox caches it, the stupidly efficient thing). Thanks Rovi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

know what you mean. I this more like it. Northern Ireland
    the place to be.http://www.nitsa.org.uk/

pistol_e_f03dffd966138e5fd1841e0e0793ba45.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Is she a member of NITSA? I'm there :D:D. Really the only thing stopping us from doing 25M Rapid is the lack of facilities. If there was a range set up for this I would gladly try it. As for air pistol, I will be giving that a go in the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Careful now! That video might be taken out of context by the snoops,spies and political bots that slither by here occasionally,as construing that shooting here in Ireland is done with full auto stuff and is actually FUN! :rolleyes::D

So I wont post my youtube link to me firing that AK47 and trowing them grenades while the RPG is strapped to my back? BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!!All events happened outside ROI soil :)

Right. The more observant have spotted that Commissioner Murphy's statements as reported in RTE and the Times are reported differently by each source. The actual transcript of his statement to the Public Accounts Committee is now up on the Dail website here:
    Deputy Jim O’Keeffe: The Garda has a number of strategic goals in the area of firearms and drugs. It is seeking a 5% increase in the number of seizures of drugs and has exceeded that by up to 27%. The Garda was seeking a reduction in incidents involving the use of firearms, but there has been a substantial increase instead. Deputy Deasy recently inquired about an unco-ordinated inconsistent approach in the licensing of firearms across the country. I am not sure if it is done on a divisional or district basis. Apparently it has led to an increase in the licensing of such handguns from approximately 300 to 1,800 in the past four years. There are great discrepancies across areas. In some instances it apparently involves not just air pistols but serious weaponry like Glock and Sig Sauer guns. Has the Garda Commissioner taken a grip of that issue?

Mr. Fachtna Murphy: I have a handle on it and my officials are working with Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform officials on dealing with that issue, which I consider a very serious issue. There are approximately 1,800 licensed handguns in this jurisdiction. The Deputy might recall that during the Troubles in Northern Ireland right from a Government decision in 1972, there was literally no licensing of any firearm in excess of .22 calibre. The issue about which the Deputy speaks is the licensing authority, which is essentially the local superintendent. The person who has absolute charge of licensing is the local superintendent, subject, of course, to the courts. The court decided that the Garda Commissioner of the day could not issue guidelines or directions to superintendents, and that every superintendent had to deal with each case on its own merits. When the Government order was lifted some years ago, opportunities arose for the licensing of handguns. Some 1,800 handguns are licensed at present. Superintendents have made objections in court in many cases. The courts have overturned that. Essentially, it seems to me that the calibre of the firearm was no longer an issue. The issue at stake was the suitability and character of the individual who was applying for the firearms licence. If Deputy Jim O’Keeffe applied for a licence, we could almost be guaranteed that he would be able to get a licence for a fairly significant firearm. That is the position we - the State - have been in. Perhaps Mr. Flahive will comment on this matter. The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform and his officials have been actively involved in putting together and enacting the legislation. As I understand it, the legislation is already on the Statute Book, but it has not been enacted. The Minister and his officials are putting together a regime that will give the Garda Commissioner the authority to issue guidelines and ensure consistency. Newspapers throughout the country have reported on the many cases which have been taken against individual superintendents, and the strong objections which have been made by the superintendents in such cases. I am striving for consistency within that regime throughout the country. It is an issue for us all.

Chairman: Absolutely.

Mr. Fachtna Murphy: On the one hand, we have to license Glock pistols, but on the other hand, we are seizing Glock pistols from criminals who are using them to kill people around the country. This issue is being addressed as a matter of urgency. The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform has spoken to me about it on many occasions. Along with his departmental officials, he is working hard in this respect.

Deputy Jim O’Keeffe: It is a pretty horrific situation, especially in light of the present circumstances in which guns are being stolen and used for dreadful and heinous crimes. In light of court decisions, is primary or secondary legislation, such as regulation, needed to give the Garda the powers it needs?

Chairman: The Deputy is getting into policy areas.

Deputy Jim O’Keeffe: Okay.

Mr. Fachtna Murphy: I am not in a position to comment on future legislation.

Deputy Jim O’Keeffe: I am not trying to embarrass the Garda Commissioner in any way. I am merely trying to get the message out there. If something can be done by means of legislation, then that legislation has to be provided.

Mr. Fachtna Murphy: As the Garda Commissioner, I am focused on that issue. The Minister, who is not present, is also focused on it. We have discussed it at length. There is an issue with the licensing of firearms. There have been some heartening signs from the courts. I do not want to go into the recent decision made by Mr. Justice Charlton, because High Court decisions can be and have been appealed to the Supreme Court. These matters are still before the courts. There have been some heartening signs from the courts of a change in attitude with respect to the licensing of deadly weapons.

Deputy Jim O’Keeffe: I will leave it in the Garda Commissioner’s hands.

Chairman: When the Commissioner said he would give a licence to Deputy Jim O’Keeffe, I hope he meant to say he would give the same facility to Deputy Sheehan. That is the biggest concern I have.

Mr. Fachtna Murphy: I would have no problem with giving a licence to the Chairman.

Deputy Jim O’Keeffe: Now that my name has been mentioned, perhaps I should mention that I may be the only member present with some experience in this regard. Some years ago, I took over the office of the late Jasper Travers Wolfe, who was the crown solicitor during the Troubles of the 1920s. When I searched his desk, which I occupied for a number of years, I found a .38 Smith & Wesson revolver in it. I went up to the local sergeant and asked him what in the name of God I should do with it. This happened a long time ago - at the height of the Troubles of more recent years. I handed it in. I have a record of it. The only gun I have ever had was one I briefly acquired by chance from Jasper Travers Wolfe.

Chairman: I assume that the main concern of the Garda relates to unlicensed guns. What is the ratio of the use of unlicensed guns in crimes to the use of licensed guns, which have been stolen, in crimes?

Mr. Fachtna Murphy: I do not have that ratio. In 2007, the Garda seized approximately 860 firearms.

Chairman: Were the firearms illegally held?

Mr. Fachtna Murphy: Yes. Seventy of the firearms were seized in the Limerick division alone. In 2006, we seized 80 illegally held firearms in the Limerick division. The rate of seizure to date this year is running roughly parallel to the figure for 2007. I do not have the exact figure. Firearms represent a big issue for the Garda as it enforces the law in this jurisdiction. I established the organised crime unit on a permanent footing earlier this year to deal with the firearms issues that threaten our society.

Chairman: I will move on to the more mundane issue of traffic fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

In my opinion the only hope we have of salvaging something out of this is if everyone emails their local TD and demands action. I don't think that emailing Mitchell/Deasy/Flanagan will achieve much as its the guy who will be facing you on the doorstep next year who will be most motivated to take action. Unfortunately shooters are a very fragmented lobby group (if there are 1600 handguns in the country that works out at only 60 per county which isn't going to get or stop anyone being elected but if everyone worked on their own guy we might make a difference.

I sent the following to Frank Feighan TD this morning and cc'd it to Messrs Flanagan and Deasy. Frank said he will make enquiries, Flanagan didn't know what I was talking about (time to take the old pension there Charlie I think) and Deasy didn't have the manners to acknowledge it, but tomorrow is another day and I will dedicate part of it to wrecking his head with my demands for a response.

By email to Frank.Feighan@finegael.ie
    Mr Frank Feighan TD
    Bridge Street
    Boyle
    Co Roscommon

Dear Frank

I write in relation to comments in the Dail by your fellow party members Messrs Charlie Flanagan and John Deasy in relation to their views on licenced handguns and the proposed blanket ban on all handguns.

I am avid shooter and I own two guns which I use to pursue my hobby of target shooting. In order to obtain my guns I had to apply to the Gardai who then carried out extensive background checks on me, and I was also required to complete a gun handling safety course and install gun safes and additional security in my home at considerable expense. My guns have never been even pointed at a living thing, never mind a person – a target shooter regards a gun as a machine for punching holes in paper, not a weapon.

Messrs Flanagan and Deasy made their comments in the context of the recent shooting of Shane Geoghegan which was a tragedy, and a was symptom of the governments continued failure to address gun crime which as everyone knows has nothing to do with target shooting.

The attempt by Charlie Flanagan and John Deasy to link gun crime with target shooting is a cheap attempt to grab headlines and is offensive to the memory of Shane Geoghegan. Persons such as myself who have been issued with gun licences have been confirmed as being law abiding members of society. By continuing to focus on issues which have no bearing on gun related deaths Messrs Flanagan and Deasy have shown their ignorance of the true causes of crime such as the revolving door system and relaxed regimes in our prisons, which mean that there is effectively no punishment for the perpetrators of these horrible crimes.

The papers have reported recently that 11 handguns have been stolen in the state in the last few years. I would put it to you that not one of these handguns was owned by a target shooter and that a number of them were under Gardai/Army or other similar ownership. I think it would be helpful if this information was made public so that an informed debate could happen.

I would suggest that your party colleagues comments show that they are totally detached from issues on the ground. Unfortunately for all of us this is not the only issue in which Fine Gael has demonstrated a lack of leadership choosing instead to take a stance which is easy but ineffective. If this is the best we can expect from the party at a time when Fianna Fail is so open to attack following their horrendous budget and failed economic policies, then I think the party will have to consider taking the PD’s lead which is ineffective but at least honest.

I would appreciate if you would get back to me to advise what representations if any you propose to make on this issue.

Yours sincerely

cc Charlie Flanagan Charles.Flanagan@oir.ie
    John Deasy John.Deasy@finegael.ie

• Advertisement

From the Examiner:
    Target shooters not to blame for ‘hate emails’

I REFER to your report headlined “TDs receive ‘hate emails’ after gun debate” (November 2).

As one of those who has sent emails to Fine Gael deputy John Deasy, I would be very concerned if abusive emails have been sent to him or to his party colleague Olivia Mitchell TD with whom I have also corresponded.

The responsible target shooting community in this country is not to blame for the emails complained of by Mr Deasy.

It should be noted also that he has not responded to any of the emails I have sent him, even though some of the points I made have been borne out by garda spokespersons in the Wexford division.

Mr Deasy has also been advised by his party leader to engage with the target shooting community in order to acquaint himself properly with the situation. To the best of my knowledge (and my unacknowledged emails are testament to this), he has not heeded that request. I have endeavoured at all times to bring reason and balance to this debate, but Mr Deasy appears to be unable or unwilling to enter into discussion on the subject.

I regret that he wishes to take this attitude, but would never stoop to insult or abuse in an effort to get my point across. Other members of his frontbench have adopted a different attitude, as has the secretariat of the Committee of Public Accounts who will be bringing my points to the attention of that committee.

Kealan Symes
    Vice-Chairman
    National Target Shooting Association

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JunkieW

Chipboard wrote: »
    I write in relation to comments in the Dail by your fellow party members Messrs Charlie Flanagan and John Deasy in relation to their views on licenced handguns and the proposed blanket ban on all handguns.

Eh?

I've read on this thread that Charlie Flanagan made no such comments. In fact someone said he'd been in touch with them and said he did not want a ban on handguns.

Maybe it was on another thread, can't find it now but it was Olivia Mitchell most people were talking about.

Shouldn't be accusing people in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Charlie Flanagan has indeed declared that he has issues with licensed pistols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Charlie Flanagan has indeed declared that he has issues with licensed pistols.

Where? And don't say 'in the newspapers' because that's been proven to be very dodgy ground.

I've spoken to him myself and he has said nothing of the sort. He has been completely supportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Where? And don't say 'in the newspapers' because that's been proven to be very dodgy ground.

I've spoken to him myself and he has said nothing of the sort. He has been completely supportive.

Hmm, could have sworn I saw an e-mail posted from him stating pistols were the only firearm he had concerns about. I may be completely mistaken however, neck deep in work and a tad sick at the moment, so easier than usual. Apologies if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Here

Now I agree the papers have proven themselves to be brutal but it seems he was one of the first people to throw this type of talk around.

Its easy to be supportive when someone else is the bad guy.

Now if the guy has spoken to you and sees things a little differently now, well then I respect the guy for being open to logical reasonable debate.

My respect will soar for him if he comes out in public and states he thinks Ahern is in the wrong and he's playing a smoke and mirrors game.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Here

Now I agree the papers have proven themselves to be brutal but it seems he was one of the first people to throw this type of talk around.

I believe he was heavily misquoted there and was assured of that on a number of occasions. What happened to Sparks is a perfect example of what papers can do when they've got enough quotes to stitch together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Spark's, the article you sent to the paper's on 11.11.08 has appeared on the Waterford Today newspaper this week, i'm looking forward to seeing what kind of reception it get's, and hope it's not negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote: »

Oh yeah just want to mention that Olivia Mitchell is the only one who got back to me and she said she received no hate mail.

Thanks for the heads-up marlin. Nice of them to print my home address in such fine detail I thought.

Waterford Today:
    Letters - Firearms scaremongering?

Dear Editor,

In recent weeks, Deputies Deasy and Mitchell and others have engaged in scaremongering on a widespread scale in the media (including this newspaper), saying that there has been a massive rise in the licencing of pistols, and attempting to link this alleged rise to the recent rise in levels of gun crime. As a licenced firearms owner, I wish to offer the following counterpoints:

(*) The number of pistols licenced in Ireland per capita has fallen by 20% since 1971.

(*) Since 1971, our firearms laws have been tightened three times, making ours the most restrictive laws in the EU.

(*) Every single licenced firearm in Ireland is licenced to someone who was personally approved as safe to own and use that firearm by a Garda Superintendent.

(*) Garda Superintendents have exceptionally wide-ranging powers when it comes to granting or refusing licences. They can - and do - require gun safes, home inspections, house alarms, access to medical records, proficiency courses and membership of authorised firearms ranges.

(*) Firearms ranges are also inspected and authorised by the Gardai, to exceptionally high construction and safety standards. Many firearms ranges have spent tens of thousands of euros to come up to the Gardai requirements over the past two years.

(*) While there is a distinct difference in how many pistol licences are granted by different Garda Districts, this is caused by the requirement to be a member of an approved range - more licences are granted in areas closer to approved ranges.

(*) In 2007 the Gardai, the Department of Justice, the Irish Sports Council, the governing bodies of target shooting sports, firearms dealers and other stakeholders, all came together to found the Firearms Consultation Panel under the aegis of the Minister for Justice. This groundbreaking body allows all parties to find safe, efficient, well-informed solutions to the concerns of those who use firearms and those who draft and those who enforce firearms law.

In short, the concerns that Deputies Deasy and Mitchell and others have attempted to raise are not based on facts or statistics or current procedures, and serve no useful function other than to scaremonger in the lead-up to the local elections. This is a shameful act on their part.

Yours in Sport,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Thought the same thing myself sparks, and the chap that own's the paper is an ex workers party counseller who should have known better, he just painted a bulleye on you,you would think he'd have used a bit of discression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

That'll teach you to open your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Vegeta wrote: »
    Here

Its easy to be supportive when someone else is the bad guy.

Now if the guy has spoken to you and sees things a little differently now, well then I respect the guy for being open to logical reasonable debate.

My respect will soar for him if he comes out in public and states he thinks Ahern is in the wrong and he's playing a smoke and mirrors game.

Charlie Flanagan initially replied to my email and has been in contact with me several times since. Even if he was against us at the start, the information he was given has turned him pro-us (at least I hope it has and this is not just points scoring against the government).

I will give him the benefit of the doubt, so far.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

The Taoiseach, Mr. Brian Cowen T.D., has asked me to acknowledge receipt of your e-mail which has been referred to the office of the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, Mr. Dermot Ahern T.D., for attention and direct reply to you.

Yours sincerely,

Paul Mooney
    Taoiseach's Private Office

Thank you for contacting me regarding the banning of legally held hand guns. You clearly articulated why there is no logic in the proposals as they would not solve the problem of gun crime.

People involved in your sport should not suffer. You can be certain that I will bring up this matter with our Justice Spokesperson Charlie Flanagan and represent your views at every level possible.

I know the national sporting clubs have shown careful regard for the manner in which their equipment is used. The problem currently lies with illegally held firearms and guns illegally imported from Russia and Eastern Europe often times with consignments of drugs and guns that were formerly used by terrorists in Northern Ieland.

Kind regards,

John

Please see response from Fine Gael Spokesperson on Sport, John O'Mahony TD, below:
    My apologies for the delay in responding to your e-mail regarding the
    private possession and use of firearms
    The numbers of hand guns being licensed is a matter of some concern but
    there is no hard evidence to suggest a link between crime and the use of
    guns. I believe the law should be reviewed to ensure consistency among
    superintendents and the courts as regards the criteria for the issue of
    licences. I have been in contact with some of the national sportin g gun
    clubs and they have shown careful regard for the manner in which their
    equipment is used. If there was any evidence to show that lawfully held
    guns are being abused, stolen or in any way connected to organised crime I
    would be most concerned. The problem currently lies with illegally held
    firearms and guns illegally imported from Russia and Eastern Europe often
    times with consignments of drugs and guns which were formerly used by
    terrorists in Northern Ireland.
    Kind regards,

John.

Tel 094 9373560 Fax 094 9373379
    Dáil Office 01 6183706
    Text 086 326 8041
    [URL="outbind://63/www.johnomahony.finegael.ie"]www.johnomahony.finegael.ie[/URL]

I am more concerned with the matter oif the thousands of illegally held guns imported with drugs from Eastern Europe and the guns formerly used by terrorists in Northern Ireland. i feel that is the issue the Garda should in the first instance. I was surprised at the Garda Copmmissioner forging a clear link between legally held handguns and crime. I dont know of any cases where legally held Glocks were used in furtherance of crime. Maybe you could tell me how many Glocks are currently licensed.

I was pursued on this issue by Matt Cooper on thursday and I stated by priority was to remove the illegally held guns as I don't have any evidence to suggest a problem with legally hels guns. i hope to meet with representatives of sporting gun clubs shortly to discuss matters. Enda Kenny the leader of Fine Gael has received correspondence and has expressed his concern to me that the the current legal situation may have been misrepresented in the media. Kind regards. Charlie.
    Constituency: Lismard Court, Portlaoise, Co. Laois &
    O'Moore Street, Mountmellick
    Phone: 01 618 3625 & 05786 20232
    Fax: 01 618 4568
    Email: charles.flanagan@oireachtas.ie
    Web: www.charlesflanagan.finegael.ie
    Thank you very much for taking the time to email me.

You raised a number of points in your email and I think it only proper that I provide you with a detailed response that you deserve.

If you don't mind, I might give you a call over the coming days so that I discuss this in greater detail with you.

I hope to speak with you soon.

Kind Regards,

Paschal
    Fax: 01 - 618 4303
    Email: paschal.donohoe@oireachtas.ie
    Web: www.paschaldonohoe.ie

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dresden8 wrote: »
    That'll teach you to open your mouth.
    That is typical of all the local rags. They print everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

JunkieW wrote: »
    Eh?

I've read on this thread that Charlie Flanagan made no such comments. In fact someone said he'd been in touch with them and said he did not want a ban on handguns.

Maybe it was on another thread, can't find it now but it was Olivia Mitchell most people were talking about.

Shouldn't be accusing people in the wrong.

Heres one for you;

From Oireachtas.ie Parliamentary Debates Section
    Deputy Charles Flanagan:
    "Regarding firearms, the recently announced proliferation of handguns is totally unacceptable. We have had 1,600 more handguns licensed last year. The Minister expresses his acknowledgement and thanks to a High Court judge for reminding him of that situation. Could I remind him that we had drawn his attention to that by way of parliamentary question on 28 May and 17 June, to which we received very little by way of positive response? How is it that people are leaving this city on a fairly regular basis for cities such as Prague in the Czech Republic to receive firearms training and returning to engage in the use of firearms on a regular basis? What is the Minister doing about this? We have put this question to the Minister in the past, and to his predecessor. Where are the targets, the results and the strategy?"

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

I believe the law should be reviewed to ensure consistency among superintendents and the courts as regards the criteria for the issue of licences.
    Interesting. How come a TD has no idea that this provision is already in CJA?
    One ill-informed ambitious clown starts his self-promotion campaign in Irish media and here we go, few days later the party spokesperson repeats after him the very same BS. And this is the person that we delegated to the State legislature. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Slav wrote: »
    Interesting. How come a TD has no idea that this provision is already in CJA?
    One ill-informed ambitious clown starts his self-promotion campaign in Irish media and here we go, few days later the party spokesperson repeats after him the very same BS. And this is the person that we delegated to the State legislature. :mad:

I can see the headline

"Politician is Lazy Ignorant Media Whore Shock"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

delete by thehair

• Advertisement

thehair wrote: »
    ...Lots of shouting by thehair...
    You didn't by any chance write to John Deasy, did you thehair?

Advertisement