Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Lawlor is dead

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

i never said why he offered his condolences, just that he did.

It doesn't matter what his reasons were anyway, the fact of the matter is that he basically said he was sorry to hear that Hitler died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

So he deserved to die in a car crash? Dear oh dear...:rolleyes:

I never said that.

If I had been given the choice of the way he died it would have been much more imaginative. Like septocemia from a paper cut on his arse after wiping it with a brown envelope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Respect is earned not not given....Where do you draw the line? If he was a murderer should we still show respect..?
    He was a criminal & a thief. No respect deserved...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

i never said why he offered his condolences, just that he did.

It doesn't matter what his reasons were anyway, the fact of the matter is that he basically said he was sorry to hear that Hitler died.

His reasons don't matter to unionists like Ian Paisley Junior who like to portray this State to have had Nazi sympathies. You seem to have bought into that old guff. You should have a read of this article particularly this important piece:
    De Valera responded by going to express condolence to Hempel, who warned that there could be trouble over the visit. "I do what I think is right," De Valera told him.

Following the death of US President Roosevelt little over two weeks earlier, de Valera paid a moving tribute and had the Dáil adjourn as a mark a respect, but there were no such gestures for Hitler. Why did the Taoiseach go to such lengths to express sympathy for the death of a man he despised? "Common gentlemanly feelings of sympathy with Dr Hempel in the hour of the country's collapse called for a gesture," De Valera explained privately. "Hitler was dead and there was no possibility of my reinforcing an already lost cause."

It would have been an "unpardonable discourtesy to the German nation and to Dr Hempel himself" not to have made an official gesture, De Valera added. And he was not about to insult Hempel, for whom he had a much higher regard than he had for Gray.

"During the whole of the war," the Taoiseach wrote, "Dr Hempel's conduct was irreproachable. He was always friendly and invariably correct in marked contrast with Gray. I certainly was not going to add to his humiliation in the hour of defeat."

De Valera's sympathy was not for Hitler or the Nazis, but for Edouard Hempel, a diplomat of the old school who helped the Irish Government to stay out of the war

You would do well not to buy into the lies of revisionists who seek to besmirch the good name of this country.
    beller b wrote:
    Respect is earned not given....Where do you draw the line? If he was a murderer should we still show respect..?
    He was a criminal & a thief. No respect deserved...

What about the fact he served a sentence? And what about showing respect to the man's family? Let's hope his children are not members of Boards as they would have to bear witness to some disgusting comments on this thread...

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

If a serial killer dies. Should he get respect because he served his time in prison? You get respect for what you do during your life, You don't get respect just for dying........Charlie Haughy will be gone soon. he won't get any respect from me either..

• Advertisement

This is terrible ................. i gave him the lend of a tenner last week.

beller b wrote:
    If a serial killer dies. Should he get respect because he served his time in prison?

Liam Lawlor wasn't a serial killer. Nor was he Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin etc.
    beller b wrote:
    You get respect for what you do during your life, You don't get respect just for dying

Usually you get some degree of sympathy.
    beller b wrote:
    Charlie Haughy will be gone soon. he won't get any respect from me either..

I am no fan of Charlie Haughey nor Ian Paisley but should they die I will not be gloating over their death. It would go against my own moral fibre to descend to that level of immaturity and ignorance.

I note you failed to comment on my point about Mr Lawlor's family. What about showing them some respect?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Liam Lawler is not dead. This is an outrageous accusation against Liam Lawler.
    Hagar wrote:
    Fúck him, he lived his life at my expense.

Well said.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hagar wrote:
    I wouldn't swear to that on a bible.
    After all the money that he ripped off may well have made a difference if it got to the health services. Maybe somebody died because budget cuts ment a piece of equipment wasn't there when it was needed.
    Gotta agree 110%
    And it still goes on today eVoting etc.

Also the damage to our infracture caused by brown envelopes results in a waste of fuel and time neither of which help our health.

I've asked the question on the politics forum - What was he doing in Moscow ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I am no fan of Charlie Haughey nor Ian Paisley but should they die I will not be gloating over their death.
    Wasn't it CJ who said that duty of the opposition was to oppose and blocked stuff whenever he could regardless of whether it was the best for the country or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

hmm i wonder did he ever post here...

linky!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I wouldnt be surprised if he was being buried in Russia!

This is just abit suspect..??? no?

Anyway your all distastful prats

A man has died and your mocking him:mad:

really low and sad... Are you 12 or 12:rolleyes:

May he rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

i wonder how many people mocking him know of the details of his criminal activity, or have they just read the headlines???
    there are 2 sides to every story, and 2 sides to death, i hope he is getting more respect on the other side of death than he is getting here,

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

*Cough* Corrupt *Cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Seraphina wrote:
    betcha he faked it so he doesn't suffer any more inquiries! :p

Yeah something very Robert Maxwellesque about this.

It's said he was good to his constituents but he was proven in court to be corrupt at a high level. His death is tragic just as any other unecessary accidental death is...doesn't change what the man was in his past though...there are however, far worse than him still walking the land...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i wonder how many people mocking him know of the details of his criminal activity, or have they just read the headlines???
    there are 2 sides to every story, and 2 sides to death, i hope he is getting more respect on the other side of death than he is getting here,

RIP

well said

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

as was stated before, karma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

God help Charles Haughey:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I'm a bit surprised the way people are joking about him dying. I mean he never killed anybody, he was a crooked politician not a killer.

Some people kill in the name of republicanism and are considered heroes.
    Other pr*cks rob and mug people with guns/syringes/whatever and they get less criticism than Lawlor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

It's disturbing that some people are actually happy about the news, and don't care how his family feel. Actually, it's not so much disturbing as it is sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

He had a teenage prostitute in the car with him at the time he died. (Apparently)

No sympathy. None. Nada. Zilch. Except for his family, but it appears he wasn't even truthful to them. What a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

RIP

How about the respect he showed to the irish people, the legal system, and the democratic process.

I'm floored by this "jaysus, don't speak ill of the dead", when it comes to a man who has robbed cheated and stolen from pretty much every taxpayer on this board.

black_jack wrote:
    I'm floored by this "jaysus, don't speak ill of the dead", when it comes to a man who has robbed cheated and stolen from pretty much every taxpayer on this board.

Same as. Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He had a teenage prostitute in the car with him at the time he died. (Apparently)
    You got a source on that?

The front page of tomorrows Indo. Expect to hear plenty more of it.

Headline:

"Lawlor killed in red-light district with teenage girl"

The teenage girl being a Ukrainian prostitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Indo are certainly sailing close to the wind with that headline.

Sailing close to the wind how? It's an entirely truthful headline. It doesn't say she is a prostitute, it says "... a girl described by police as "likely to be a prostitute"".

You don't honestly think he was giving her a lift home do you?

black_jack wrote:
    How about the respect he showed to the irish people, the legal system, and the democratic process.

No one is claiming he was a saint. He was definitely a man of questionable character however you say you are 'floored' by people here who don't wish to speak ill of the dead? It's simply showing respect.

The man has not been dead for 24 hours. Surely you could wait a while before you lash out at the man?

What about showing some respect for his family?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I can't see how anyone can think that a person actually deserves to die.

RIP

• Advertisement

What about showing some respect for his family?

I really do feel sorry for the family, but if these Independent allegations are true (and I do believe they are), he showed very little respect for his own family.

They are the real victims in this.

Also, RIP to the chauffeur.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement