Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They have a competition in my workplace to win a bike tomorrow. It involves doing goldsprints on exercise bikes. I am excited, time to shake off the cobwebs and bring back the pain (the majority of people in my building are just slightly over half my age).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Go for it! Show em how it's done!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    They have a competition in my workplace to win a bike tomorrow. It involves doing goldsprints on exercise bikes. I am excited, time to shake off the cobwebs and bring back the pain (the majority of people in my building are just slightly over half my age).

The principle of the competition seems a little off. The winner is probably the person who needs a bicycle least?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The principle of the competition seems a little off. The winner is probably the person who needs a bicycle least?

trickle down economics :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The winner is probably the person, who will get the most use from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Don't swap a heart attack for a putative bike.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Don't swap a heart attack for a putative bike.

I done a similar competition in my old job last year, where you won some random gift. You got two attempts to cover the most distance in one minute. A young lad beat my first attempt by 20 metres. I beat him by 2metres on my second attempt but could not walk for the rest of the day. So worth it for the tub of whey powder I never intend using.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The winner is probably the person, who will get the most use from it.
    Right, so - the plan is evolving

Thinking about putting on one of these goldsprint events at my workplace. Just need to get someone senior enough (probably me) to sign it all off and agree the company will fund the Cervelo prize bike.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Actually come to think about it there is one guy in the office who's actually older than me. Don't want him to lose out and think we may need to handicap this based on age.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have two 700x28 in the shed. They're too hard to get onto my current wheelset, so they only did a few km. They've been in the shed a few years, but they're absolutely fine, I think. Yours for free, if you want them. I live in Balally/Dundrum/whatever it's called.

Missed this before, that would be amazing tomasrojo as I've learned from CW that the distributor for them in IE has shut up shop. I'll throw a few quid to the SSF to make up for your generosity :)

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Missed this before, that would be amazing tomasrojo as I've learned from CW that the distributor for them in IE has shut up shop. I'll throw a few quid to the SSF to make up for your generosity :)

I'm off out right now. PM me and we'll arrange a pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    Right, so - the plan is evolving

Thinking about putting on one of these goldsprint events at my workplace. Just need to get someone senior enough (probably me) to sign it all off and agree the company will fund the Cervelo prize bike.
    How are you going to get the bikes up to the top?

Mordor.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Sure a 36x28 will be grand for that...

I done a similar competition in my old job last year, where you won some random gift. You got two attempts to cover the most distance in one minute. A young lad beat my first attempt by 20 metres. I beat him by 2metres on my second attempt but could not walk for the rest of the day. So worth it for the tub of whey powder I never intend using.

Damn, for a moment I read that as "white powder" and eyebrows hit the ceiling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Enjoy your new bike Cram! We expect a winning update... #spintowin

nee wrote: »
    Enjoy your new bike Cram! We expect a winning update... #spintowin
    Got a call from the creche, I spun to get there (I can be pretty damn fast with motivation apparently), so no bike for me. I do wonder if I had taken the time to change into my cycling shoes would I have been quicker overall and two, apparently my really nice work trousers do not like cycling.
    On a side note, people in creches are terrible for exaggerating symptoms. He is a bit tired and a tiny bit pale should not be related to you as, he is very pale and lethargic, he keeps falling asleep and we cannot wake him up now, I keep checking in on him to make sure he is still breathing.
    Sweet christ, I arrive to see him tired but sitting up and chatting to his friends. Thankfully my adrenaline instead of common sense kicked in, because if I had taken what they said on board I would have screamed for an ambulance.
    Going to get a pic of the bike that I can show at his 21st and say, my love for you cost me this bike.

Going to get a pic of the bike that I can show at his 21st and say, my love for you cost me this bike.

What happened to the bike?

I've uploaded a couple of GPX files so I can see how they work on the Here app on my phone.

(I made the routes in http://brouter.de/brouter-web/ and downloaded them, then emailed them to myself, opened the email on the phone and told it to add the route to Here We Go.)

But how do I invoke them from Here?

What happened to the bike?

Some young person has it now, I am acting on the basis that I would have won it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Some young person has it now, I am acting on the basis that I would have won it.

Correct procedure!

• Advertisement

Oooh, that bike! The putative bike! Ah well: toddler/bike, hmmm; bike/toddler, hmmm… you made the right choice.

Oooh, that bike! The putative bike! Ah well: toddler/bike, hmmm; bike/toddler, hmmm… you made the right choice.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.abclocal.go.com%2Fcontent%2Fwabc%2Fimages%2Fcms%2F1378960_1280x720.jpg&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Quick help. I know nothing about hybrid/MTB wheels and a work colleague has brough in his tyre/wheel measurements for a new tube he needs, as I know about bikes and all that stuff. He's given me "37-622" and "28 x 1 3/8". What tube do I need on CRC? Links please.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Normal 700c tube will do just fine, just make sure it's suited for larger (37mm) tyres and has the right valve type (schrader/presta/Dunlop)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Yup!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weepsie wrote: »
    I read about it the other day. In reality I think it's more to do with the cars being for sale, the fact that they're in a cycle lane is coincidental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    I read about it the other day. In reality I think it's more to do with the cars being for sale, the fact that they're in a cycle lane is coincidental.
    There are cars permanently parked in the cycle track on the R132 at Fosterstown in Swords (outside the breakers yard) for years now. One time I asked a couple of Gardai who happened to be in the vicinity about it and the reply I got was that the scrapyard owner put them there as he wanted them towed away so the Gardai weren't going to give in to him!

(I also realise that there is a long time legal dispute going on there).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement