Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

delaad wrote: »
    That's amazing! Was in Spar in Baggot St one night heading for the till and he walks, lunges, past the front door. I freeze when I cop his profile. its so sharp I'm shocked. He is utterly, remarkably thin.

Stop bodyshaming

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

pgj2015 wrote: »
    RTE TV3 showing a brendan grace stand up show filmed in the 90's every bank holiday weekend, such a lack of effort.

corrected that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gate12

Clapping when the plane lands.
    I used to like clapping when the plane landed. Happy to be alive.
    And at the end of a film in the cinema. One person clapped at the end of Doctor Strange when I saw it yesterday and nobody else joined in cos it was such a crap film. It was nice to hear it though. Actually, it was the best part of the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Older people who only watch RTE 1 and kick up a fuss if it's switched over to something else, even RTE 2 is too much of a digression from their routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lighting hapes of tyres for GAA homecomings at the side of the road, complete with Guards standing by who otherwise would book people for illegal burning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

darkdubh wrote: »
    Older people who only watch RTE 1 and kick up a fuss if it's switched over to something else, even RTE 2 is too much of a digression from their routine.

Or only listen to Radio1 even though they constantly tell you they don't like Ray D'Arcy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

A team member of a work project you are on submitting their piece of work which has been done with bare minimum quality with a big self satisfied grin on their face. Still common enough in Ireland at both work and third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

pgj2015 wrote: »
    RTE, showing a brendan grace stand up show filmed in the 90's every bank holiday weekend, such a lack of effort.

That was TV3 actually not RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

People saying "Wot's de storeh?" instead of hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,176 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you omitted the obligatory "bud" from the end of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

you omitted the obligatory "bud" from the end of that.

God, I hate people calling me "bud" or buddy, esp. in that Dublin accent. I find it passive-aggressive.
    I always say, "I'm not your buddy. I don't know you."
    "You do now."
    Tsk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Jaysus there's some angry bitter people in here..

Its a tradition :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Young Scientist Competition is won by a team / student who studied the growth of some bacteria and the good or back impact it has on other flora and fauna.

The same bacteria is never heard of ever again once the hubub about the competition winner dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I know what you meaa-ahn :D

Although there is/was an ad on radio where Bernard Brogan and a Rugby Player are telling us to "wear our colours" for some cause.

All I remember is the rugby guy's confident elongated sudden"Hoooigh" which started off the ad (it was his version of Hi)
    Made me laugh every time.

Personally I enjoy the diversity of greetings/accents etc.
    For such a small country we have a great tapestry to chose from.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

I know what you meaa-ahn :D

Although there is/was an ad on radio where Bernard Brogan and a Rugby Player are telling us to "wear our colours" for some cause.

All I remember is the rugby guy's confident elongated sudden"Hoooigh" which started off the ad (it was his version of Hi)
    Made me laugh every time.

Personally I enjoy the diversity of greetings/accents etc.
    For such a small country we have a great tapestry to chose from.

The weird thing about our diverse accents is that a lot of the country are probably only 4th generation English speakers. It wouldn't be cool or original if we spoke Irish since all countries in the old world have a lot of regional variation but English isn't our native tongue and hence you would think wouldn't have had time to develop such differences.
    Its not uncommon on mainland Europe to hear of stories of people living 30 miles apart being unable to understand one another due to dialect differences(not language) Only one time was I unable to understand another Irish person, it was over the phone and they were from Cork, the accent was so so strong, I could make out about 70 per cent I reckon.

I'm not sure how it is in our language but I know there are divisions between the various regions and I presume these have been homogenised and don't bear testament to the diversity of the language when Irish was truly a gaelic society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Winning Streak is the longest running game show
    Or it just feels that it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

What's wrong with thanking the bus driver when you're getting off the bus?
    Nothing. It used to be called good manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

Serious question. What do you mean by it when you say it?

Isn't it to stop your soul escaping from your body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

Flat 7 up can nearly bring back the dead !

But you need to heat it up first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm not Irish do I get a vote ?

The Craic. Every country has that. It's fun call it what you will but it's no better. Yes I could be bitter not being Irish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Craic. Every country has that. It's fun call it what you will but it's no better. Yes I could be bitter not being Irish :P

Even that word is borrowed from English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The fundamental difference between The Craic and regular having fun is that you are allowed to be an absolute dickhead when having The Craic and make life really unpleasant for others and no one can call you on it for fear of being labelled A Dry****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I used to work in a pub, and sometimes we would have this one particular dj who thought he was cool by lashing out Irelands Call instead at the end of the night.
    The funny thing about it though was that he would earlier have played a load of rebel songs before that to finish the night. One night, I couldn't resist bursting his bubble by educating him on the origins of Irelands Call. It was the last time he used it!

he was probably disappointed it had an all-ireland inclusive theme to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Even that word is borrowed from English.

But with the phony Irish spelling added to make it "Irish" and unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

But with the phony Irish spelling added to make it "Irish" and unique.

You spelled Oirish wrong.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The fundamental difference between The Craic and regular having fun is that you are allowed to be an absolute dickhead when having The Craic and make life really unpleasant for others and no one can call you on it for fear of being labelled A Dry****e.
    Yeah but it's all OK as long as you aren't the drunkest person in the room :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gate12 wrote: »
    I used to like clapping when the plane landed. Happy to be alive.
    Air travel nowadays is so safe that statistically speaking, it's actually more appropriate to thank the bus driver.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The D4 accent, it needs to die a quick death.
    The fake D4 accent needs to die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Fair City what a greatest load of siht. The whole theme around Fair City is awful. The actors look lkie couldn't act to warm themselves and should stick to stage acting. RTE I think spent more money on makeup and clothes than they did on the actually set. It looks like if someone leans up against a wall the whole set would fall on them. Every time someone talks you can hear an echo. Yet with all it's faults it has become a great irish tradition for many people to tune in. I Can't understand the obession with it. Rant over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement