Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Cultural cringe, in cultural studies and social anthropology, is an internalized inferiority complex that causes people in a country to dismiss their own culture as inferior to the cultures of other countries. It is closely related to the concept of colonial mentality and is often linked with the display of anti-intellectual attitudes towards thinkers, scientists, and artists who originate from a colonial or post-colonial nation. It can also be manifested in individuals in the form of cultural alienation.

wikipedia.org

But surely then your article might be attributed to any and all traditions mentioned in this thread?

Yes/No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

looksee wrote: »
    I still want to know what the 'Christmas Pubs' tradition is?

Also known as the 12 pubs of Xmas??

Forced craic is literally the definition of cringe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Thanking someone for carrying out a duty is not cringeworthy.

Do other countries have begrudgery? Im sure its a myth that they dont, but the people who predictably line up to take chunks out of successful and popular groups like Rose of Tralee or Bono or McIllroy or Edna (hehe) or the Late Late or Gaa or generalising attacks on culchies or the Dubs(as if either group is defined by one person someone met pissed in the jacks) or the prods or the RCs or...

Sorry Ive gone of the reservation. The tradition of whinging over **** which is actually totes avoidable if one desires it. All of the above are actually avoidable except for those complaining about them.*

*this post. Not actually a complaint cos complaining fills in silence and big empty cringe hungry gaps in conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Also known as the 12 pubs of Xmas??

Forced craic is literally the definition of cringe!

The worst thing is those 'rules' some idiot made up for them. Absolute load of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,763 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Any Father fcuking Ted related shiite.

I don't mind a bit of sean nós. It's just singing.

Also Sean nós dancing too. Nothing beats a bitta leppin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thanking the bus driver when he stops at the bus stop!

So basic manners to a person who has provided a service to you makes you cringe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Aul wans saying 'Bless You' when you sneeze. Is there a place where they go to get ordained to be able to bestow such a gift on you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Cultural cringe, in cultural studies and social anthropology, is an internalized inferiority complex that causes people in a country to dismiss their own culture as inferior to the cultures of other countries. It is closely related to the concept of colonial mentality and is often linked with the display of anti-intellectual attitudes towards thinkers, scientists, and artists who originate from a colonial or post-colonial nation. It can also be manifested in individuals in the form of cultural alienation.

wikipedia.org

If it's a choice between slobbering wetly over sean-nós "singing" (sic) as being an exquisite component of native Irish culture or being regarded as a cultural cringer, then it's cringing all the way for this proud Gael!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Playing the national anthem to mark the end of the night in pubs and clubs. Fcuking embarrassing use of something that's supposed to represent national pride. Thankfully less prevalent around the Dublin area than where I'm from orginally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Aul wans saying 'Bless You' when you sneeze. Is there a place where they go to get ordained to be able to bestow such a gift on you?

I do that! It's becoming increasingly rare though. I'm always muttering "Bless you" when someone sneezes.

I'd feel bad if I didn't. I know it's daft.

I wasn't ordained or anything, sure I don't even go to mass.... :)

• Advertisement

The good biscuits for visitors

So basic manners to a person who has provided a service to you makes you cringe?

+ The Rose of Tralee + all the other things other people have posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Panthro wrote: »

Also Sean nós dancing too. Nothing beats a bitta leppin!

I find the deranged babblings of Matty McGrath - independent TD (and father of 8) from Tipperary - much easier to understand when I remember that he is an All-Ireland winning sean-nós dancer. I understand that he also won a table quiz in Toomevara back in 1973.

I do that! It's becoming increasingly rare though. I'm always muttering "Bless you" when someone sneezes.

I'd feel bad if I didn't. I know it's daft.

I wasn't ordained or anything, sure I don't even go to mass.... :)

Serious question. What do you mean by it when you say it?

Tractors being allowed to drive on motorways.

Can you now please explain to 'johnnyskeleton' why that's cringeworthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,044 ✭✭✭✭neris

Clapping when the plane lands.

the only people ive ever seen clapping when a plane lands are east europeans

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Up for the Match.

Winning Streak, when they introduce all the family and friends along to support the contestant and they have their handmade banners and all that.*

*no idea if this is still being broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sonny.roofer

Coddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

neris wrote: »
    the only people ive ever seen clapping when a plane lands are east europeans

Nah they are all Irish.....the ones I have seen anyway. Big freckly Irish chuckle heads on them.

Clapping when the plane lands.

Now now, that's being anti Irish according to some on here.

Its only manners to clap as the plane lands, and when the bus stops, & when . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

UK?

Not in London, thats for sure.

That would involve Londoners having to acknowledge another human being. Their resolute determination not to acknowledge the existence of anyone else is cringeworthy, unless you stand on the wrong side of escalator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Thinking that when we go abroad every country loves the Irish and thinks were great.

They don't and we're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Can you now please explain to 'johnnyskeleton' why that's cringeworthy?

For one it's banned in a lot of countries.

Tourists driving down the M7 at rush hour only to see, the carnage of the rolling road the oblivious driver leaves behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

frag420 wrote: »
    When you're really young and your dad spitting/licking on a tissue and cleaning your face with it...

Worse when you're about 26 :D

The Angelus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Not restricted to the elders. I've been blessed by folk of all ages. I think they do it to stop me sneezing. Can be no other logical reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Clapping the taxi driver when he drops you home safely

• Registered Users Posts: 28,172 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Now now, that's being anti Irish according to some on here.

Its only manners to clap as the plane lands, and when the bus stops, & when . . .

I have never applauded a bus driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Irish dancing for Christ's sake. I mean I never encounter it but the odd time I walk past some tourist joint in town offering dancing shows, I almost have to run past them in case I catch a glimpse. I don't know why but it makes me scarleh.
    I hate The Fields of Athenry, a song moaning about f*cking famine, how uplifting, and how Irish people are the only people who sing said song and Ole Ole etc at boxing or MMA matches.
    Father Ted references. Get over it. This is the equivalent of the Brits still banging on about Men Behaving Badly or some other forgettable 90s comedy.
    There's a lot I like about Ireland too though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Most of these aren't uniquely irish or traditions, people need to get out more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement