Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

fryup wrote: »
    can't understand that either, why are the irish obsessed with country & western music??

can't think of any other country in europe where it has the same following

We're the most westerly English speaking nation in Europe and we have close cultural ties to the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

The constant overuse of the word "avail", presumably in an attempt to demonstrate a wide vocabulary.

You don't "avail" of a complementary breakfast, despite what the radio ad says. You eat it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Cyril T Squirrel

kowtow wrote: »
    The constant overuse of the word "avail", presumably in an attempt to demonstrate a wide vocabulary.

You don't "avail" of a complementary breakfast, despite what the radio ad says. You eat it.

Like using 'complementary' [sic] instead of free...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

can't understand that either, why are the irish obsessed with country & western music??

can't think of any other country in europe where it has the same following

Very big among Irish hockey circuit in Austria and germany. American country is simple but it's feel good and suits certain times, Ireland's **** climate doesn't exactly lend itself to the right mood though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I presume the newly founded state could not afford to run an independent education system.
    The national school system was established in 1830.It was originally supposed to be non-denom, but the various churches eventually took them on well before the foundation of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

BabyE wrote: »
    Very big among Irish hockey circuit in Austria and germany. American country is simple but it's feel good and suits certain times, Ireland's **** climate doesn't exactly lend itself to the right mood though

wha :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Claiming traditions not exclusive to Ireland as purely Irish.
    Only in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

The Christmas jumper. Why just why?

So many countries have these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The Late Late Show:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The lads lifting elected people on their shoulders at counts while shouting 'YEEEOOOOOOWWWWW'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Does Bloomsday qualify? It is definitely cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Anyone over the age of 12 calling their mother "Mammy".

wha :confused:

I know a few Austrians who tell me

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

My dad has no intrest in GAA but when the "match" is on, he transforms into #1 fan telling us to shush when anything remotely significant happens. It's horribly cringy and even worse if you ask him to name a player :D

So what irish ism's do you find really cringe :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

People blessing themselves when they pass by graveyards.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

What I find cringeworthy is young people with Southern California accents they've picked up from watching too much US TV. Or Irish people like Kevin Myers who has retained a pseudo-aristocratic English accent in an attempt to lend his servile pro-British/Unionist attention-seeker views more 'authority'.

There was an Irish drink-driving awareness advert, a couple of years back, that had a gormless foxy-haired drunk driver being admonished by an English-accented Irish judge (apparently these cultural cringers believe an anglo-aristocratic accent imbues its speaker with authority)

That makes me cringe.

Myers was educated in the UK, nothing fake there. In fact a posh English accent was common in Ireland for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

It really does happen.
    A lad at work told me his father would "turn in his grave" if he didn't vote for Fianna Fail. I have heard loads say similar.
    Yeah, it is a real thing. My mother says that Clare is full of "Fine Gael f**kers". Not that I put a great deal of stock in my mam's bitter remarks, but familial political alliances are definitely a thing/a perceived thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Crea wrote: »
    Anyone over the age of 12 calling their mother "Mammy".

Like Podge in Red Rock. Ah that's kinda sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Throwing the Child of Prague in the ditch the evening before a wedding

LordSutch wrote: »
    Naver heard of that before, and what does itactually mean?
    Never heard of it either but sounds like child abuse and terribly racist and besides what did people do before the days of EU enlargement and the fall of the Iron curtain. I mean there cant have been many suitable children in the country back then ?

• Advertisement

Lying on the census (particilarly on the language and religion questions)

Voting in ones parents constituency even though one hasnt lived there for ten years.
    An Irish person falls over in Sydney, RTE must report it as news.

Alternatively RTE reports on some major disaster/mass killing abroad but assures us that "no Irish people are thought to have been involved" as if to say ah sure it doesnt really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »

Alternatively RTE reports on some major disaster/mass killing abroad but assures us that "no Irish people are thought to have been involved" as if to say ah sure it doesnt really matter.

Yeah, that's exactly what it says, as opposed to 'we'd like to reassure you that nobody you might know was likely to have been harmed'.

What I'd like to dispense with is the cringy Irish tradition of self flagellation that occurs when anything bad happens to a foreigner here. Any number of Irish women can die due to substandard health care and negligence, but god forbid it happens to an Indian women.
    The same when it comes to international criticism, we just cower and feel bad. Well I've no interest in the Saudi UN ambassador lecturing us on human rights or the EU for that matter. I really wish this country had the confidence to tell them to go take a flying leap, we'll be acting for (and interested in) our own interests and people for a change rather then wringing our hands and wondering what the Yanks, Brits, Germans or Saudi's think about us.

I presume the newly founded state could not afford to run an independent education system.

Newsflash: The state was founded in 1922
    It is now 2016
    That is all !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote: »
    Even things like the rose of tralee. There's no polish to these things.
    It's about time we had a Polish Rose.

People blessing themselves when they pass by graveyards.

I don't know, I look it as a good thing in an era where people are so consumed by themselves, an act such as the above shows a sense of awareness all too missing in an increasingly narcissistic world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The D4 accent, it needs to die a quick death.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What's wrong with thanking the bus driver when you're getting off the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Candie wrote: »
    The 'good' front room - especially odd in tiny houses with limited space to begin with.

Very Nordie thing, the "good" room.

Here's another house one.
    Maybe a country thing, but never using the front door to enter your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Don't we have Joe Duffy for those old weirdos who get off on that sh*t? I wouldn't be tuning in to an entertainment show on a Friday night to see kids with cancer etc.
    I suppose that's why I never watch it. On a side note, I passed by Tubridy not too long ago and he has one of the skinniest waists I've ever seen on a man.

That's amazing! Was in Spar in Baggot St one night heading for the till and he walks, lunges, past the front door. I freeze when I cop his profile. its so sharp I'm shocked. He is utterly, remarkably thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭pgj2015

RTE, showing a brendan grace stand up show filmed in the 90's every bank holiday weekend, such a lack of effort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement