Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

DublinBust wrote: »
    'How Long' put this game at 46 god damn hours I mean holy hell. Finished it on before on Wii, just don't like it at all; worst Zelda I've played. Giving it another try but find it hard to like anything about it. Ugly characters, annoying sidekick, weird furry mechanic, fetch quest before dungeons etc.
    I can tell because its a very choppy picture; in particular when panning the camera. The cutscenes sit fast at 30, but actual gameplay ducks way under IMO.

It's a great game and deserved a better port(by right it should have been remastered). And I'm guessing you haven't played Skyward Sword?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

Myrddin wrote: »
    Less than 30fps?? Jaysus Nintendo...

It's the porter's responsibility more than anything IMO, though the WiiU being underpowered doesn't help the situation...

Pac1man I recommend you go after Wind Waker next, the best in the series IMO, then A Link Between Worlds, then Ocarina of time (3DS remake hopefully), then Majora's Mask (ditto). All pretty much masterpieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's the porter's responsibility more than anything IMO, though the WiiU being underpowered doesn't help the situation...

Still, quality control & the likes. The Wii U can't be called underpowered for a Wii Gamecube game with a lick of fresh paint.

Myrddin wrote: »

Still, quality control & the likes. The Wii U can't be called underpowered for a Wii game with a lick of fresh paint.

The controls are actually not great in TPHD (not sure if its a base game problem); jumping over fences and even getting on to ladders is a pain; and is there a camera refocus button anywhere? Can't find it. Suppose its Z?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

The controls are actually not great in TPHD (not sure if its a base game problem); jumping over fences and even getting on to ladders is a pain; and is there a camera refocus button anywhere? Can't find it. Suppose its Z?

Its ZL, on the Pro Controller anyway.

I'm about halfway through the game and really enjoying it, I've forgotten huge chunks of the game from when I first played it so it feels surprisingly fresh to me. I have no issues with the graphics, my only control issue is trying to switch targets in groups of enemies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't played yet, but I remember liking the game on Wii. Think the 2 main complaints I had about it were the intro section and a barren Hyrule field.

And I liked Skyward Sword. :)

Just finished the first dungeon. Can't remember much of this game to be honest.

I genuinely think the devs intentionally made this game as ugly as they could to get back at all the WW haters. Link looks fine, but the enemies are horrendous, and the bosses are particularly bad.

I liked the 'get the monkeys to progress' mechanic but found the dungeon frustrating overall, missing a small key in a chest up a large pole. 6/10. Onwards to the second.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, don't know what your on about tbh.
    I played and finished Twilight Princess on the Wii back in the day and it was a lovely looking game, with a nice contrast between Hyrule and the Twilight Realm, with enemies to match.
    The bosses only problem is not being original, with most of them being a greatest hits collection from previous LoZ titles, and that's not that bad a thing.
    Must say, your opinion is quite different from what most commentators say about the game.
    Twilight Princess on the Wii, Metacritic Score 95, with a user score of 9.0

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Wow, don't know what your on about tbh.

Really? Here is a google search result for you;

https://www.google.ie/?ion=1&espv=2#q=twilight%20princess%20ugly

It's a famously ugly title, especially when bookmarked by a game that will likely look good forever and a game with a beautiful hand painted aesthetic. Game was even uglier on the Wii/GC, with far too high-frequency and noisy textures used for the size that they were put on the disk (and then spat out at 480p). Every NPC remains remarkably ugly. Not even gonna comment on the birds with the giant human heads and nipple tassles.

I didn't give the entire game 6/10, just the first dungeon. Hopefully it will get better than I remember. Just have to force myself to collect more bloody tear bugs (which when added altogether, are definitely more annoying and lengthy than the TriForce Quest in WW).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, googling an opinion returns search results about that searched opinion, who would have thought it?
    And they were a handful of people posting on forums, just like this one, so hardly a representative slice of opinion.

People seem to forget that Windwaker was itself divisive at the time, with plenty of people not liking the change to cel shading, which itself had become passé by the games release, and folk having looked forward instead to a more realistic representation, like the previous game Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, which Twilight Princess gave them, while the cel shaded look continued on the DS with Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass.

I found the visuals in Twilight Princess to be more than satisfactory, and the effects for the Twilight Realm and transitions brilliant, with the use of light and colour palette enhancing it's otherworldliness.

I have played through the Wii version and have played my GC version as well, not feeling the need to spend on the recent HD rerelease, maybe things were changed for the worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I wouldn't call Twilight Princess ugly at all, it was more inconsistent levels rather than an overall ugliness. Some of the field squaring and rock textures are bit rough in places but besides that it was a decent looking title. It was a Gamecube game being pushed onto the Wii after all.

I put 'super metroid overrated' into Google and got a good few results too, does this mean Super Metroid is 'famously' overrated too? :pac:

So, googling an opinion returns search results about that searched opinion, who would have thought it?
    It means I'm not alone. Any forum you go to, Neogaf, wherever, you'll see plenty of people that regard TP as being extremely ugly.
    I do not forget that Wind Waker was divisive, I mentioned it in my first post. I care not for the opinions of people that thought it was 'for kids' because of its very graphic art direction, as they themselves were immature tweens only interested in 'mature games', which meant their games had to be gritty, brown and grey.
    Cel Shading is in no way 'pass ', it is highly regarded in games like WW, Viewtiful Joe and Okami and is generally considered a good way to make sure your game looks good forever. Persona 5 looks amazing and I've not heard anyone say different.
    Nor are the 3DS remakes considered a good endeavour because they're 'more realistic', people rightfully were excited for them because they had new models, animations and redone textures. They're extremely similarly stylized and faithful to their originals and their art direction, just at a higher visual fidelity, which is why they're so highly regarded.
    The effects of the twilight realm are so much more stylized than the rest of TP that they'd literally fit into WW better, with their blocks of colour, neon, and very blocky shapes; not to mention the twilight enemies including their spiral designs on their body and area shields are very reminiscent of Wind Waker's Temple of Time.
    Just got done with the Tears in Kakariko village, hope having to root through buildings is as annoying as they're going to get. Wasn't there word this part of the game supposed to be significantly reduced in the HD version? One of the main reasons I picked this up instead of emulating my original Wii version.
    The worst thing about the Tears IMO is that they interfere with the natural flow of LoZ games. I love the rhythm of world map->explore new lively town-> approach its temple. Coming across a town for the first time in a largely dead state isn't fun to me personally.
    I really hope the new Zelda doesn't have padding like TP/SS did...

Corholio wrote: »
    I put 'super metroid overrated' into Google and got a good few results too, does this mean Super Metroid is 'famously' overrated too? :pac:

'super metroid overrated'= 16,600 results.
    'twilight princess ugly'= 613,000-816,000 results depending on how Google's feeling.

'twilight princess ugly'= 816,000 results.

It was a jokey comment, but that's not exactly how Google search works anyway. But I'm sure you know that.

'twilight princess ugly'= 816,000 results.

It was a jokey comment, but that's not exactly how Google search works anyway. But I'm sure you know that.

It's exactly how Google works, it's the entire premise behind the original Google search engine.

It's exactly how Google works, it's the entire premise behind the original Google search engine.

To find exact 3 word connections? Not at all. The word 'ugly' is a very loose variable in the search as it could pertain to individual parts, the whole game or absolutely nothing to do with Twilight Princess in any relative search. The word 'underrated' is much more specific in any contrasting search. But it's nothing to do with the game anyway so doesn't matter.

To find exact 3 word connections? Not at all. The word 'ugly' is a very loose variable in the search as it could pertain to individual parts, the whole game or absolutely nothing to do with Twilight Princess in any relative search. The word 'underrated' is much more specific in any contrasting search. But it's nothing to do with the game anyway so doesn't matter.

It has everything to do with Twilight Princess being ugly though, because there are hundreds of thousands of entries calling 'Twilight Princess' 'ugly'.

Some people, jesus christ almighty.

It has everything to do with Twilight Princess being ugly though, because there are hundreds of thousands of entries calling 'Twilight Princess' 'ugly'.

Some people, jesus christ almighty.

Theres quite a few who think that of course, but using Google search results with 2 connected and 1 variable word isn't the way to show it. There's lots of those articles that say the some textures are ugly, other Zelda games had ugly textures or the word ugly appearing completely unrelated to Twilight Princess but yet all those results will still pop up in your 'evidence'. If you can't see what I'm saying then no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Are we really using the number of google searches to confirm if twilight princess is ugly or not? (it isn't) **** me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Are we really using the number of google searches to confirm if twilight princess is ugly or not? (it isn't) **** me.

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=yes
    2,390,000,000 pages say "Yes"

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=no
    17,120,000,000 say "No"

• Advertisement

A poster (or two) asserted that I was the only one that felt this way and they'd never ever ever seen anyone complain about TP's aesthetic before and I must be alone and crazy in this. Then someone mentioned Google, so I did some of my own searching. Turns out I'm not alone in any way shape or form...

Finished the Goron caves. As a good example, the magnetic areas use the basic 'voronoi' cell pattern available in Photoshop https://www.google.ie/?ion=1&espv=2#q=voronoi; extremely tacky and not even acceptable in Indie games tbh. And overall the whole dungeon's textures are a bit too photosourced, and realism has never been Zelda's thing... but the dungeon looks decent, overall.

Have to say though Goron mines is a fantastic dungeon, going back to it. Not particularly short, but not particularly head wrecking either. Far less emphasis on small keys, which is fantastic. Don't really like dungeons that are just about hunting those down (lots of Ocarina). Also not a huge fan on dungeons that are small, but whose terrain you have to change. So I found this dungeon really really good. Having to go back to Ordon to get the boots was ridiculous filler though. Aonuma loves his filler. After Zelda U, I'd like to see Nintendo take him off Zelda and maybe have him make a new IP. Let Hideki Kamiya have it. He's a mad bastard.

A poster (or two) asserted that I was the only one that felt this way and they'd never ever ever seen anyone complain about TP's aesthetic before and I must be alone and crazy in this. Then someone mentioned Google, so I did some of my own searching. Turns out I'm not alone in any way shape or form...

If you're referring to me, I certainly didn't assert or say anything like that.

No one said you were alone or crazy, where did you get that idea?

And what is wrong with some good natured debate and why does it have to descend into something unpleasant?

Thing is...
    Twilight Princess was widely well received but with criticism for being far too much like previous games in series. It was seldom taken to task over its visuals.
    You may find them unpleasant, at this remove of some ten years, but most found them pretty good and most journalistic reviews appear to reflect this.
    The game also got a broad 8/10 and 9/10 from most reviewers.
    It seems to be judged to be tied with Skyward Sword as being the weakest of the modern LoZ games on home console, because of it's derivative nature.
    Can we move on and talk about something else, please?

No one said you were alone or crazy, where did you get that idea?

You were one of the two that asserted as such, before you claimed a well regarded style is old hat and no longer popular, when in fact the next Zelda entry is also heavily cel shaded...

I moved on to talking about how good the Goron Mines are, tis you who brings it back up...

You were one of the two that asserted as such, before you claimed a well regarded style is old hat and no longer popular, when in fact the next Zelda entry is also heavily cel shaded...

I moved on to talking about how good the Goron Mines are, tis you who brings it back up...

Quote the post where I said you were either crazy or alone?
    Honestly, why take it so personally?

At the time of Windwakers release cel shading was a poorly implemented style, with little to go for it.
    Wind Waker actually was gorgeous but there were those at the time who yearned for a more realistic portrayal, akin to OoT, and were disappointed with the WW style, and were vocal about it. That was the point I was making.

I don't recall the mines tbh, it's ten years since I completed the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

I personally think TP is the weakest of the 3d Zelda games. It's great fun all the same though, the HD remake does help the style a lot, less texture popping etc. Still get annoyed about trying to do a spin attack on Epona though. Doesn't seem possible anymore.

Overall it's a pretty game and it is fun. I'm biased though. Ocarina was my first, and is my favorite, but I think Wind Waker and Majora's Mask beat the rest of the 3d ones for sheer extra stuff to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Jesus, cheer up.

The postman in TP will haunt me forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

TP Postman wrote:
    Eeeeeeyyyyyy!
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    De, de, de, de, da, da, daaaahhhhh!
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    Eh, uh...
    *twitch*

• Advertisement

I have DS3 on the go at the moment, but once completed it'll be to LoZ on the SNES that I turn, one of my great regrets that I have yet to finish it, I think I'll fire it up on the Retron 5 and complete the game, before finally unwrapping Fallout 4 !

Advertisement