Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Still between 25-30m cap space to play with now, after Cruz restructured.

Vernon's contract is front loaded. 29m this year, 13m of that is the cap hit. Means that we could fit JPP in next year if we need to, although it is more likely we draft DE and let him walk.

I think RT and MLB are glaring holes for us right now. Trevathan was a steal for Bears. 6m a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've an inkling we'll get Randle back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    Trevathan was a steal for Bears. 6m a year.

Looks an utter bargain

The make up of Vernons deal is clever when, as you pointed out, there are some big contracts coming up over the next couple of years.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've an inkling we'll get Randle back.

Would really not be bothered, if we got him on a 1 year deal for $3 or $4 million then fine but anything beyond that, no thanks.

Interested to see what happens with Prince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

We replaced the forever injured Jon Beason with the forever injured Keenan Robinson. I can't remember this guy much except he looked decent in coverage and tackles well but keeping him on the field will be an issue.

Russell Okung is visiting the Giants today. Would be a strange move as he's likely to play LT which moves Flowers back to RT. I wouldn't be so high on replacing Beatty with another injury prone tackle.

• Advertisement

I would be very pleased with grabbing Okung, tbh.

Would clearly depend on the contract, if we just give him the contract Beatty had I'd be really annoyed. I'd actually hold fire & see if Beatty has had any nibbles after the weekend & just bring him back altogether.

Janoris Jenkins with some very odd comments, talking about how he gets lazy late in games ��

The signing of Robinson is a cheap short term option, high upside if he stays fit, if not then no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We never have luck with previously injured players

Can see Robinson on IR very early in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭boccy23

F*** it! At least we are trying. We ignored the MLB position so much in the last few years.
    Reese is on a real hot seat this year and is spending to save his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Randle to the Eagles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Opener in Dallas again. For feck sake.

We could be 0-7 before the bye alone :pac:

Genuinely have no idea how next year will go. Just grateful we have Odell and Eli, really. They'll keep us in games we don't deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

2nd easiest schedule in the league according to Bleacher Report

2nd easiest schedule in the league according to Bleacher Report

Fairly warped by Dallas and Baltimore alone, who's roster when fit have them far higher than last years results.

I thought Ravens would be AFC Contenders before the season, and their injuries, kicked off!

Yeah definitely doesn't look or feel like the second easiest schedule. Really tough start then a run of more straight-forward games around London and the bye then some huge divisional games at the end of the season.

If we start no worse than 2-4 we should still be in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Hi all,

I'm a Chargers fan but I'll be over in NY for the week 3 game and would love to see the Giants and Washington, also going to see the former Charger Eli in Twickenham against the Rams.

Could anyone on here suggest the best way to go about to obtaining two tickets for the game?

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a Chargers fan but I'll be over in NY for the week 3 game and would love to see the Giants and Washington, also going to see the former Charger Eli in Twickenham against the Rams.

Could anyone on here suggest the best way to go about to obtaining two tickets for the game?

Much appreciated.

You could go with the Ticketmaster NFL ticket exchange:

http://www.ticketexchangebyticketmaster.com/NFL/default.aspx?GCID=2335&Keyword=ticketmaster%20nfl%20ticket%20exchange&gclid=CjwKEAjwi9K4BRCQzq7d1c6A_XASJABueAO2TEg6awx4we-uwAStNSdhBcfzXmmDstTT62jNfOySxhoCP2jw_wcB

or you could try StubHub.

JJ wrote: »

The exchanges are great and mean that this guy will almost certainly be able to get a ticket but the schedule was only announced a few days ago so I'd recommend for now keeping an eye on the Giants website for more information on individual ticket sales.

Apparently Rashard Robinson's visit with the Giants went very well. Had heard a lot of interest from Reese and co with him even before the combine.

Would love to pick him up in the mid to later rounds, as he has all the tools in my eyes.

Also hearing some reasoning against going OL at pick 10, as it could hurt us financially down the line, as we already have big renewals in the pipeline for high draft picks in Pugh, Richburg, and Flowers. Basically, we'd be investing too many resources in one area.

• Advertisement

Apparently Rashard Robinson's visit with the Giants went very well. Had heard a lot of interest from Reese and co with him even before the combine.

Just reading up on this guy, clearly has potential but doubt you'd invest much of anything in terms of draft picks in him.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Just reading up on this guy, clearly has potential but doubt you'd invest much of anything in terms of draft picks in him.

True. I did hear or read somewhere around the time of the combine that Giants believed he'd be the best corner in the draft class if he had been playing his final year.

That's a big if, and obviously the reason why you'd be reluctant to spend a 3rd or 4th on him.

If he's still there in the 5th I think you have to pull the trigger.

True. I did hear or read somewhere around the time of the combine that Giants believed he'd be the best corner in the draft class if he had been playing his final year.

That's a big if, and obviously the reason why you'd be reluctant to spend a 3rd or 4th on him.

If he's still there in the 5th I think you have to pull the trigger.

Yea I read that as well.

It's more than one season though, his last game was November 2014. He'll be nigh on 2 years out of the game by the time the season starts. We had a similar situation with Marvin Austin a few years back and that really didn't pan out. As a UDFA I would be interested, aside from that, no thanks.

So less than a week to the draft, who do we hope to land, who do you want to avoid.

You would assume all of Buckner, Bosa, Ramsey, Tunsil & Jack would all definitely be gone. That could leave us looking at Stanley, Elliot, Hargreaves, Floyd, Conklin & Lawson as maybe the top prospects on the board.

I really can't see us going o-line in the 1st again and there are a few reports backing this up. Elliot, Floyd & Hargreaves are not players I see as top 10 players (we are basically getting the 8th best player in the draft at worst).

If things fell this way I'd take Shaq Lawson & be very happy. In the space of a few weeks we would have gone from having zero pass rush to potentially one of the most fearsome in the league.

Dream scenario in the 2nd then would be one of two Buckeyes. Either Vonn Bell at safety or else Michael Thomas at WR who is probably the best WR prospect on this class, desperately underrated player.

I don't like Scherff tbh, I don't see a tonne of upside there. I wouldn't be averse to going o-line but only for 2 players. Andrus Peat from Stanford is a huge man who can play LT. He is strong in both the ground & passing game. He would be a good 2nd choice for the spot but the player I would want most for o-line is Ereck Flowers. He is 3 years younger than Scherff & 2 years younger than Peat. He has the body you want for LT at 6-6, 320lbs & 34 1/2 inch arms. He also put up a ridiculous 37 reps in the bench press at the combine. He is already well polished in the run game but will need some work in the passing game so a year or two at LG next to Beatty will do him no harm.

Leonard Williams would be the dream but he won't be there. On defense I think Danny Shelton & Bud Dupree would be the best available options. I'm a big fan of Shelton. He won't win DROY or anything but he should make everyone better, particularly those at LB. He & Hankins would be one hell of a DT pairing. Dupree is so explosive & has the potential to be a double figure sack player every year, how he fits at end in a 4-3 is a bit of an unknown but he could play that Leo spot at LB in certain situations as he seems to be strong in coverage. If the choice was between the 2 I would take Shelton.

I like the idea of trading down if Cooper & White are there, think we could swap spots with the Fins & still have a shot at a few of the guys mentioned.

My top 7 for the spot would be
    1. Leonard Williams
    2. Dante Fowler
    3. Ereck Flowers
    4. Danny Shelton
    5. Bud Dupree
    6. Amari Cooper
    7. Andrus Peat

On the assumption that Williams & Fowler will be long gone then Flowers for me is by a bit of a distance the best player on the board. Up to now it's fair to say I have not been a fan of going o-line in the 1st but I think that Flowers is way too good to pass up. His floor is a perennial all-pro guard & his ceiling is the best tackle in football by the time he is 24.
    Landon Collins might be a shout. You'd have added to arguably our weakest areas then. Although not sure how Giants would work out who plays SS and FS then. Perhaps Copper or Berhe might transition well to FS.

Quentin Rollins might be a better shout, instead.

If Gregory is on the board it would be interesting to see if Giants go for him. Apparently its after coming out that he suffers from anxiety and depression, though. Real shame for the man.

Not really knowledgeable on many of the Dline fellas left.

Mckinney and Kendricks could be nice fits at Linebacker.

What are your thoughts?
    Since we seem to be partial to large black guys with complicated surnames, I can see us maybe looking at Owamagbe Odighizuwa.

He has had injury problems in the past, missing the entire 2013 season due to two hip operations, so he'd fit right in with us.

Wow we really know our stuff, we picked Flowers, Collins & Odighizuwa in advance last year, great work. Was happy with Flowers & Collins at the time & little has happened really to change that IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If Odell can keep his cool then I can't wait to see him torch Norman twice a year.

NFC East is shaping up to be a good bit more competitive than last year but we're all still a bit behind the Cowboys, if Romo stays healthy but I definitely think we've a good chance to compete next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

So less than a week to the draft, who do we hope to land, who do you want to avoid.

You would assume all of Buckner, Bosa, Ramsey, Tunsil & Jack would all definitely be gone. That could leave us looking at Stanley, Elliot, Hargreaves, Floyd, Conklin & Lawson as maybe the top prospects on the board.

I really can't see us going o-line in the 1st again and there are a few reports backing this up. Elliot, Floyd & Hargreaves are not players I see as top 10 players (we are basically getting the 8th best player in the draft at worst).

If things fell this way I'd take Shaq Lawson & be very happy. In the space of a few weeks we would have gone from having zero pass rush to potentially one of the most fearsome in the league.

Dream scenario in the 2nd then would be one of two Buckeyes. Either Vonn Bell at safety or else Michael Thomas at WR who is probably the best WR prospect on this class, desperately underrated player.

Going O-line again would definitely be a bad idea, be too much salary cap would be invested into it in my opinion. We hope and pray every year for a good inside linebacker to be drafted but I agree when you say Jack will be long gone, and is probably the only guy worth a pick at 10. If we were to somehow trade down lower and get a few picks and nab Reggie Ragland I'd be a very happy man but it's very unlikely. See a few mock drafts have us taking Vernon Hargreaves who you mentioned above so I'd be ok with us picking him.

I'd take Hargreaves definitely. I want Jack but think we'd pass on him even if he is there at 10 sadly.

I've watched some tape on Treadwell now and could get on board with bringing him in if we can trade back a few places. Looks a real talent.

tgdaly wrote: »
    Going O-line again would definitely be a bad idea, be too much salary cap would be invested into it in my opinion. We hope and pray every year for a good inside linebacker to be drafted but I agree when you say Jack will be long gone, and is probably the only guy worth a pick at 10. If we were to somehow trade down lower and get a few picks and nab Reggie Ragland I'd be a very happy man but it's very unlikely. See a few mock drafts have us taking Vernon Hargreaves who you mentioned above so I'd be ok with us picking him.
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'd take Hargreaves definitely. I want Jack but think we'd pass on him even if he is there at 10 sadly.

I've watched some tape on Treadwell now and could get on board with bringing him in if we can trade back a few places. Looks a real talent.

I can't have Hargreaves at all, I just don't see it. We do need some secondary help but don't want to waste a pick on it in the 1st.

Trading down a few spots would be great but that would depend on who is there. The knee report with Jack scares me a bit, knowing our luck, our 1st LB drafted in the 1st would need a huge knee op & we'd be screwed. Ragland is just a very mediocre player, honestly no better than what we have, we need a cover/rush LB if we are going to draft one.

I like Treadwell the more I watch him, my only thing would be that if the choice s Treadwell in the 1st or Thomas in the 2nd, it has to be Thomas.

Find it hard to get away from completing the work on D in the offseason, one more pass rusher & we are set. I think it'll be Floyd or Lawson

• Advertisement

I've not seen much of Floyd but from what I've read and heard he strikes me as a bigger gamble than Jack is. Doesn't seem to have a natural home in a 4-3 system.

Advertisement