Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Really looking forward to the draft now. Just doing up a short list of guys who I think we will have interest in in the 1st round and will stick it up tonight or in the morning.

Just waned to put a comment I made last year up for reference to show that I really should be listened to on these matters!!! :pac:

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I'm glad we drafted a weapon for Eli so I won't be too critical. I was very excited last night (simply because it was not Zach Martin)

His height (under 6ft) would be a concern if we plan on playing him outside. He also teste well in the 40 at the combine but he doesn't appear to be that burner on tape.

He is very polished as a router runner by all accounts and he is a superb punt/kick returner.

If we add a big Red-Zone target like Seferian Jenkins or Fiederowicz in the next couple of rounds it could be a very effective pick.

Overall I'm happy with it (my delight from last night has gave way to reality & tiredness) but I don't think he will be that No.1 guy like Mike Evans, Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I've to work at 8am Friday morning :(

Knex. wrote: »
    I've to work at 8am Friday morning :(

Crazy 1 year old who really is not a fan of sleep so even though work at 9.30 he has been giving me great prep!!

Crazy 1 year old who really is not a fan of sleep so even though work at 9.30 he has been giving me great prep!!

He can watch it with you again this year so :pac:

I might get some early rest, then get up again around half one and watch some picks.

He can watch it with you again this year so :pac:

I might get some early rest, then get up again around half one and watch some picks.

He'll have no choice (although he appears to be more of an F1 fan at this point).

What are your thoughts on where we will go?

• Advertisement

He'll have no choice (although he appears to be more of an F1 fan at this point).

What are your thoughts on where we will go?

You know what's creeping into my mind the past few days? I think someone like Mariota, Cooper or White might be on the board at 9, and we'll trade down.

But I think that might be just me having gone through every other possibility already and finally coming to that :pac:

I'd love someone like Gregory, Leonard Williams or even Dupree. Shelton would be fine too. Basically just don't particularly want to see us going for Scherff as the number 9 overall pick.

I am finding it really hard to judge this year though, in all honesty.

Where are your thoughts at?

You know what's creeping into my mind the past few days? I think someone like Mariota, Cooper or White might be on the board at 9, and we'll trade down.

But I think that might be just me having gone through every other possibility already and finally coming to that :pac:

I'd love someone like Gregory, Leonard Williams or even Dupree. Shelton would be fine too. Basically just don't particularly want to see us going for Scherff as the number 9 overall pick.

I am finding it really hard to judge this year though, in all honesty.

Where are your thoughts at?

I don't like Scherff tbh, I don't see a tonne of upside there. I wouldn't be averse to going o-line but only for 2 players. Andrus Peat from Stanford is a huge man who can play LT. He is strong in both the ground & passing game. He would be a good 2nd choice for the spot but the player I would want most for o-line is Ereck Flowers. He is 3 years younger than Scherff & 2 years younger than Peat. He has the body you want for LT at 6-6, 320lbs & 34 1/2 inch arms. He also put up a ridiculous 37 reps in the bench press at the combine. He is already well polished in the run game but will need some work in the passing game so a year or two at LG next to Beatty will do him no harm.

Leonard Williams would be the dream but he won't be there. On defense I think Danny Shelton & Bud Dupree would be the best available options. I'm a big fan of Shelton. He won't win DROY or anything but he should make everyone better, particularly those at LB. He & Hankins would be one hell of a DT pairing. Dupree is so explosive & has the potential to be a double figure sack player every year, how he fits at end in a 4-3 is a bit of an unknown but he could play that Leo spot at LB in certain situations as he seems to be strong in coverage. If the choice was between the 2 I would take Shelton.

I like the idea of trading down if Cooper & White are there, think we could swap spots with the Fins & still have a shot at a few of the guys mentioned.

My top 7 for the spot would be
    1. Leonard Williams
    2. Dante Fowler
    3. Ereck Flowers
    4. Danny Shelton
    5. Bud Dupree
    6. Amari Cooper
    7. Andrus Peat

On the assumption that Williams & Fowler will be long gone then Flowers for me is by a bit of a distance the best player on the board. Up to now it's fair to say I have not been a fan of going o-line in the 1st but I think that Flowers is way too good to pass up. His floor is a perennial all-pro guard & his ceiling is the best tackle in football by the time he is 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Flower Power!

Happy enough with the pick. Flowers is a monster, and at 21, he has so much potential to be a quality tackle in the league.

Hope he can start week 1. An OL of Beatty - Pugh - Richburg - Schwartz - Flowers is pretty promising, and providing injuries go our way, we could be set on OL for a while now.

Beatty is the oldest there at 30, but Schwartz at 28 still has a few years, and the other three should be around for a long time. Happy with how we're turning it around, tbh.

Keno wrote: »
    Flower Power!

Went to bed last night so just skipped through the 1st round on Sky+.

Delighted with the Flowers pick, I'm a huge fan.

I would love to know did we entertain the idea of trading up for Williams. How much would it have cost to move up the 3 spots?

Who do you fancy in rounds 2 & 3 today?

• Advertisement

Landon Collins might be a shout. You'd have added to arguably our weakest areas then. Although not sure how Giants would work out who plays SS and FS then. Perhaps Copper or Berhe might transition well to FS.

Quentin Rollins might be a better shout, instead.

If Gregory is on the board it would be interesting to see if Giants go for him. Apparently its after coming out that he suffers from anxiety and depression, though. Real shame for the man.

Not really knowledgeable on many of the Dline fellas left.

Mckinney and Kendricks could be nice fits at Linebacker.

What are your thoughts?

Since we seem to be partial to large black guys with complicated surnames, I can see us maybe looking at Owamagbe Odighizuwa.

He has had injury problems in the past, missing the entire 2013 season due to two hip operations, so he'd fit right in with us.

Since we seem to be partial to large black guys with complicated surnames, I can see us maybe looking at Owamagbe Odighizuwa.

He has had injury problems in the past, missing the entire 2013 season due to two hip operations, so he'd fit right in with us.

Will forever be known to me as "Wam Dig", if we do draft him.

Telling ye in advance, because feck writing that! :pac:

I would ideally like us to go for one of the really good LB's left but could be kidding ourselves. One of Kendricks, Perryman and McKinney should be there and really would be the obvious choice.

Preston Smith from Miss. St. could be an option as well as Wam Dig at DE.

I wouldn't mind taking Phillips the NT from Oklahoma, he would really help against the run.

I think Landon Collins would offer really good value at that spot but I just wonder would he make it past the Raiders pick. Rollins would not be an ok alternative but I don't think he is the value pick if Collins is gone as that should mean one of the 3 LB's is still there.

Eli Harold may be a bit small as a 4-3 end but he could make a big impact as a Leo backer in 4-3.

At WR Jaelen Strong, DGB and Devin Smith are all still on the board. DGB has the obvious talent but I doubt we would risk him at this point. Not really sold on the other 2, I read lots of good things about Strong but I find it very hard to get excited about him.

Randy Gregory is the unknown, if what you say is true Knex it is indeed very sad but you have to be practical and pass on him then.

All things being equal and assuming Landon Collins is gone I would make it back to back picks from the U and take Denzel Perryman.

I would ideally like us to go for one of the really good LB's left but could be kidding ourselves. One of Kendricks, Perryman and McKinney should be there and really would be the obvious choice.

Preston Smith from Miss. St. could be an option to as wel as Wam Dig.

I wouldn't mind taking Phillips the NT from Oklahoma, he would really help against the run.

I think Landon Collins would offer really good value at that spot but I just wonder would he make it past the Raiders pick. Rollins would not be an ok alternative but I don't think he is the value pick if Collins is gone as that should mean one of the 3 LC's is still there.

Eli Harold may not be a bit small as a 4-3 end but he could make a big impact as a Leo backer in 4-3.

At WR Jaelen Strong, DGB and Devin Smith are all still on the board. DGB has the obvious talent but I doubt we would risk him at this point. Not really sold on the other 2, I read lots of good things about Strong but I find it very hard to get excited about him.

Randy Gregory is the unknown, if what you say is true Knex it is indeed very sad but you have to be practical and pass on him then.

That's the spirit Higgins! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It will be very interesting to see what Reese does today. We still need to upgrade at a lot of positions. You have to make a play at LB or Safety at some point. But I imagine Reese will look to upgrade the DLine first. We have been a build from the 'trenches' sort of team for a while. I don't really think that Reese values the LB position too highly in either free agency or the draft.

He certainly needs a good draft. My instinct is that we may go for Safety as Reese did make a play for McCourty and hopefully all this talk of converting our current corners into Safety's is just Reese trying to manage the media.

There is a lot of hate for the Flowers pick. A lot of people saying its a reach but everyone I rarely listen to early draft analysis anymore. It's usually utter nonsense.

glued wrote: »

There is a lot of hate for the Flowers pick. A lot of people saying its a reach but everyone I rarely listen to early draft analysis anymore. It's usually utter nonsense.

I think it's a smashing pick, the guy is going to be a monster. I only frequent 2 Ðraft sites regularily and both of them like the pick.

I think it's a smashing pick, the guy is going to be a monster. I only frequent 2 Ðraft sites regularily and both of them like the pick.

Yeah like I said I don't really follow college ball so I don't have much of an opinion. It'll be interesting to see where he plays. Hopefully he can imorove the play of the guys around him.

glued wrote: »
    Yeah like I said I don't really follow college ball so I don't have much of an opinion. It'll be interesting to see where he plays. Hopefully he can imorove the play of the guys around him.

I would personally start him at OG & leave Beatty & Pugh where they are this year with the idea to move him to LT year 3.

Anyone see the Finding Giants programme after the Ðraft last night? The Ðraft ran over so haven't got all 4 episodes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Giants move early and trade with the Titans for the 33rd pick to take SS landon collins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Bit conflicted here

We def need a S and he is talanted

I do not like giving up the 4th when we have so many needs

That being said Reach misses on so many picks maybe it's not a bad trade

Also not mad on his coverage deficiencies

Still I bet Spags will have a plan to utilise his in box skills

Forget the second round trade hype.

WE GOT WAM DIG!

image.JPG

Collins & WamDig are a great haul from the 2nd & 3rd. On paper at least we have 3 guys who should make an immediate impact.

Collins & WamDig are a great haul from the 2nd & 3rd. On paper at least we have 3 guys who should make an immediate impact.

Yeah from reading the various sites this morning the consensus is that Reese has drafted well. You have to imagine that we'll go for a LB in the 5th now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Landon Collins might be a shout. You'd have added to arguably our weakest areas then. Although not sure how Giants would work out who plays SS and FS then. Perhaps Copper or Berhe might transition well to FS.

Good work chaps

The last time the Giants took a DE 74th overall it worked out very well; Justin Tuck.

Tuck dropped because of surgery/injuries as well. If Wam Diggity can have even remotely that impact, what a pick it will be.

That draft in 2005 was insane though. Only had four picks, and three of them were Webster, Tuck, and Brandon Jacobs.

HaVe to be honest that I know very little of Mykkele Thompson. From what I have read he seems like a big reach, even in the 5th round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes was expected to go undrafted

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2014/11/4/7158139/mykkele-thompson-contacts-texas-longhorns-interceptions

does not say much about his intelligence that he needed to be told he needed contacts to play football

• Advertisement

I saw the Longhorns when I was in Austin twice. Can't say I noticed him all that much. Reading up on him, apparently he made great strides this past year.

He's raw, but seems to have a great work ethic and is an intelligent kid (despite the contacts story!). Seems the Giants were the only team he visited too, so he must have made a damn good impression.

Not gonna hope for him to be a starter any time soon, or anything, but we'll see how he turns out. Definitely a "project" pick.

Advertisement