Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Alun wrote: »
    This ^^^ If boards.ie has employed any usability experts to design this, I suggest they fire them immediately.
    They should make him use that version for a few days!

That'll learn him.

My eyes hurt when I'm directed onto one of those pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Oooh - hurts the eyes!!

Is there no way to see "New Posts" on Beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

its so bad. I can only get the new site and can't post anything anywhere.
    thankfully I found a link to the old site

no idea why I am only getting the new one though cause I am in Dublin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057587767?fuid=99456343

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

OSI wrote: »
    Do you wear sunglasses for normal life? Not exactly glowing:

1835628964.png

That appears better than what I was looking at earlier:

383790.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, that's the same ugly mess I was getting earlier.

Has fixed itself now though, back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Try logging out and logging back in

tried that.... no joy for me :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Seve OB wrote: »
    tried that.... no joy for me :(

Clear cache and cookies manually if that wasn't enough.

• Administrators Posts: 53,525 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The light grey stuff is way too light against the white background. You have to strain to see it.

That's the quote, report, thanks buttons and the Reply and Follow buttons too. Way too hard to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

As others have mentioned, the grey is too light. If that was darkened a little, it would less of an eye strain.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that there is no header with convieient, easy to click links on the header ( or at least they don't scroll with the page, one of the best aspects of the leagacy design. ) This makes the site awkward to use to say the least. That is the main thing I'd want changed as in it's current state it's not user or eye friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Alun wrote: »
    This ^^^ If boards.ie has employed any usability experts

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

WHY WHY WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Bug Report

I clicked on 'My Threads' on the new site, when the page loaded a pm notification came through at the same time, this changed the site back to the old skin. Reading the pm and replying to it was all old skin, then I clicked on the boards icon and was back to the new site.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Now comes the annoying part when all the lazy fnckers like me didn't help with feedback on the beta even though it's been available for months, will bitch and moan about it anyway.

Actually my only suggestion would be a toggle for contrast. I find the current contrast to be too flat, not enough defintion. A tad more contrast and it'd be fine. Maybe a "High - Medium - Low" drop-down in the user settings that lets you set the contrast?

And maybe a "negative" theme, which is the current beta colours in negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

The last 'upgrade' was awful but this latest development is shockingly bad.

It looks like a sh1t blog, also interesting that the commercially driven Talk To forums are given preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It looks like a cheap website made using a template. It's awful. I'm not going to say I'd stop using boards.ie over it, but I certainly would use it less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

seamus wrote: »
    Now comes the annoying part when all the lazy fnckers like me didn't help with feedback on the beta even though it's been available for months, will bitch and moan about it anyway.

Actually my only suggestion would be a toggle for contrast. I find the current contrast to be too flat, not enough defintion. A tad more contrast and it'd be fine. Maybe a "High - Medium - Low" drop-down in the user settings that lets you set the contrast?

And maybe a "negative" theme, which is the current beta colours in negative?

Considering the fact, they didn't listen when the initial post was made about the upgrade, whats the point in giving feed back, if there still going to develop it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I did help with the beta feedback. Posted dozens of bugs, feedback, feature requests, queries. Then they were all deleted with no warning, and Dav didn't respond to multiple direct requests on whether they should be reposted. Most of the bugs are still there.

And Dav hasn't posted in the beta feedback forum in 6 months

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I was following that thread from the start, and it does appear that stuff wasn't taken on board. But in fairness, I only used it for a very short time at the beginning to see what it was like and never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I keep getting forced onto the beta site; it's god awful to look at and shockingly difficult to find the latest post on a thread because it all just runs into one. It's like someone who used to work for geosh1tties has decided to try and get revenge on the post-geocities internet by making an exceedingly sterile, bland "lets-make-it-look-like-a-blog" template whilst simultaneously trying to make everyone go snow-blind. "Don't like black backgrounds with white writing and animated flames? HAH!! HAVE THIS!! VIVA GEOSH!TTIES" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

It's all a bit mad Ted.

Lemming wrote: »
    I keep getting forced onto the beta site;

Did you go onto the new look version while logged in? If so you'll need to find the cookies for the session (and maybe the persistent one/s for the site) and delete them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

So we're trying to get our load balancers sorted out for roll-out of the new site. That's why you saw access issues earlier (we saw them too). I've posted a note on the front page to let people know about our roll-out plans and I'll be keeping that updated with progress to date.

Beta feedback - it's a continuing process. We've never said "once we do a thing that's it, you can take it or leave it" but we've been asking for feedback for months and have been making all our decisions based off what people have told us (and I mean with specific functional or design issues, not "I hate it" which solves nothing). When we make this release, that feedback process will continue. We're probably going to be working on this for another 12 months, so work with us, don't just shout negativity at us, it really doesn't help.

I've mentioned before, the beta feedback forum is where our Dev's have been basing all their work - I don't know why they're not posting in there to say what they're doing, but I'll be telling them they need to as we progress.

Dav wrote: »

Beta feedback - it's a continuing process. We've never said "once we do a thing that's it, you can take it or leave it" but we've been asking for feedback for months and have been making all our decisions based off what people have told us (and I mean with specific functional or design issues, not "I hate it" which solves nothing). When we make this release, that feedback process will continue. We're probably going to be working on this for another 12 months, so work with us, don't just shout negativity at us, it really doesn't help.

This has the feel of what happened on the guardian, they feigned interest in the user base but in the end just did what they had long intended (to engineer a site for mobile devices and not much care about desktop/laptop use)

But Dav, it's horrendous. The style does nothing for the user experience and the functionality... Well... Maybe it's time to admit defeat, and I say that with the best will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

This has the feel of what happened on the guardian, they feigned interest in the user base but in the end just did what they had long intended (to engineer a site for mobile devices and not much care about desktop/laptop use)

..and if Boards think for one second that I will sit at my desk, phone in hand - they have another thing coming.

With all due respect Dav - it doesn't look like your guys are listening at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

It's worth point out that the actual beta site does not look like the one we all saw earlier and is in the screenshot a page ago- that one seemed to be missing a lot of the styling. If you actually try the beta, it's not as bad as that, and I could get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Dav wrote: »
    I've mentioned before, the beta feedback forum is where our Dev's have been basing all their work - I don't know why they're not posting in there to say what they're doing, but I'll be telling them they need to as we progress.
    The beta feedback forum completely died when all the original threads from the first feedback phase were deleted without notice. There's been no Boards posts in that forum since you posted 6 months ago to announce its official opening

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Dav, what would boards.ie do if half the use stopped using the site becasue of your resual to listen. We don't want an update. The site is perfect the way it is.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    This bollocks was spouted the last time a re-design was done. Funnily enough the site is busier now than ever.
    The last redesign was just a facelift. This is a new model.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement