Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

LadyAthame wrote: »
    Audio has not been working ..anytime I try to click it is says audio not installed...there was malware or something trying to put ads into sites that were not there but my brother got rid of it and now no audio....?? Re-install windows???

Or is there another way?? Also big blank spaces come up and youtube was not working for a bit.

If it's not working as regards anything, it sounds to me like the driver's been deleted. Not a hard fix though! It does rather depend on what system you're on, but can probably do it through the WIndows search window, just the windows button and type "drivers". You might get an Update Drivers option, or you might not. You should get something like the link below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I think I might have already asked this question somewhere here ages ago but I haven't found it yet and I need the answer again. I have created another rather large database in Excel. The last row on most pages is spreading over two pages and I need to know how to prevent that. Half the data in the row is on one page and the other half of the data in the row is on the next page. Anyone still hanging around here who can help me out again please as I've forgotten how I did it last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I think I might have already asked this question somewhere here ages ago but I haven't found it yet and I need the answer again. I have created another rather large database in Excel. The last row on most pages is spreading over two pages and I need to know how to prevent that. Half the data in the row is on one page and the other half of the data in the row is on the next page. Anyone still hanging around here who can help me out again please as I've forgotten how I did it last time.
    If you have office 2010 or newer, this should do it. If you've an older version, this'll be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you for your speedy reply. Will check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Hi Guys
    Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of the security shield off my utube and chrome programs and other programs that I need to use . I dont know what I did but suddenly the shield - it looks like its the administrator privileges shield are over these icons on the home screen and it wont let me open them. I downloaded firefox and can use this as my browser but I would like to be able to open utube and chrome etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

CWone wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of the security shield off my utube and chrome programs and other programs that I need to use . I dont know what I did but suddenly the shield - it looks like its the administrator privileges shield are over these icons on the home screen and it wont let me open them. I downloaded firefox and can use this as my browser but I would like to be able to open utube and chrome etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Control Panel - Security Tab - on Left - Change the way security center alerts me.

Or a variant on same depending on system.

Thanks for your help Srameen
    Unfortunately all I keep getting when I try to change it is saying " You are the only administrator on this PC. You cant change your A/C type on this PC. You must make another user an administrator before you can change your account. I don't remember ever being the administrator - I can only assume that I hit something by mistake to make myself an administrator. The computer is my own and nobody else uses it. It was working perfectly until this suddenly happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

CWone wrote: »
    Thanks for your help Srameen
    Unfortunately all I keep getting when I try to change it is saying " You are the only administrator on this PC. You cant change your A/C type on this PC. You must make another user an administrator before you can change your account. I don't remember ever being the administrator - I can only assume that I hit something by mistake to make myself an administrator. The computer is my own and nobody else uses it. It was working perfectly until this suddenly happened.
    Which windows version are you using?

Thanks for your reply red sean and sorry for the delay getting back. I am using Windows 10 on a Lenovo G500 laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

If you open control panel and click User Accounts.
    You can then change your account to standard or add a new a/c and give it admin rights.

red sean wrote: »
    If you open control panel and click User Accounts.
    You can then change your account to standard or add a new a/c and give it admin rights.

Thanks a million I will try that and hopefully it works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Looking to upgrade the RAM in my Acer Aspire to 8Gb. The type it uses is DDR3 PC3-8500 1066MHz 204-pin SODIMM.
    Most places I look it says this is for Apple Mac, E.g. Amazon Dabs. Just wondering do they actually mean 'also suitable for Apple' or is there a difference ? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Any memory labelled " DDR3 PC3-8500 1066MHz" will fit the socket, but check other specs like CL and buffered/unbuffered .Put your model # into the crucial.com or kingston.com sites and it'll give you the exact spec required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Any memory labelled " DDR3 PC3-8500 1066MHz" will fit the socket, but check other specs like CL and buffered/unbuffered .Put your model # into the crucial.com or kingston.com sites and it'll give you the exact spec required.

It has to be SODIMM also, thats the laptop socket type. The spec above would also apply to desktop/tower RAM sticks.

Thanks for the quick replies. Used that Crucial.com to get exact type and have found some on Amazon that don't refer to Apple.
    I get the feeling that whether it refers to Apple or not it is the same RAM but I'll go for one that doesn't refer to it just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

8g ram, thats quite a lot, will your motherboard take it, i have 4g in a desktop and it flys

It has 3Gb at the moment and can be sluggish enough. 64bit system so should be Ok up to 8Gb. Don't want to change laptop as other than that I'm happy enough with it. Works out at about €40 so worth trying I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Kat1170 wrote: »
    It has 3Gb at the moment and can be sluggish enough. 64bit system so should be Ok up to 8Gb. Don't want to change laptop as other than that I'm happy enough with it. Works out at about €40 so worth trying I think.

Your motherboard might not handle 8gb is what he means, have you confirmed it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭wiz569

You would probably get more of a speed boost by installing an SSD if it does not already have one tbh

• Advertisement

Your motherboard might not handle 8gb is what he means, have you confirmed it does?

Anywhere I checked says Max Supported RAM is 8Gb, so should be Ok.
    wiz569 wrote: »
    You would probably get more of a speed boost by installing an SSD if it does not already have one tbh

That will be next on the list. Standby for more questions when that happens :D:D

Anywhere I checked says Max Supported RAM is 8Gb, so should be Ok.

That will be next on the list. Standby for more questions when that happens :D:D

You're grand then. An SSD is about €70 for a 240gb one and would give a much bigger boost that more ram tbh

it could be that a good clean up/out may well do speed it up, my yoke boots in 21 seconds, i got rid of a lot of stuff and replaced it with other :Dstuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Whens the last time you defragmented the HDD? Have you got a lot of applications running from startup? Do you have antivirus/ antimalware software installed and up to date?

flutered wrote: »
    it could be that a good clean up/out may well do speed it up, my yoke boots in 21 seconds, i got rid of a lot of stuff and replaced it with other :Dstuff
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Whens the last time you defragmented the HDD? Have you got a lot of applications running from startup? Do you have antivirus/ antimalware software installed and up to date?

Anti-virus and defrag. ran about every week, AVG fully up to date. Don't have too much Bloatwear.
    HDD is fairly full so SSD will be next up.
    Whenever I run Disk Defrag. the drive/disc named 'System Reserved' shows as 8% fragmented, but I am unable to defrag. it despite it being listed under discs that can be defraged.

Anti-virus and defrag. ran about every week, AVG fully up to date. Don't have too much Bloatwear.
    Whenever I run Disk Defrag. the drive/disc named 'System Reserved' shows as 8% fragmented, but I am unable to defrag. it despite it being listed under discs that can be defraged.

Whens the last time you ran a malware check like malwarebytes or adwcleaner? You might have malware that avg is not picking up. Also have you tried temporarily disabling avg to see if things speed up?

I would say the system reservered partition isn't the main partition anyway so you would not need to worry about that one too much. Just the largest partition you can see. The C drive.

Is bootup slow? General loading of applications taking a long time? Or is it website pages are slow to load? Or all of the above?

download another anti virus, get the trial version of trend micro or web root, deleate avg and run the new one, download malware bytes and run it, then super anti spyware download and run it, deleate superanti spyware and malwarebytes, run adw and deleate it remember all the little programs thay you have on your hd ring home and talk to mammy, all this slows down your machine, deleate your anti virus and get another one run it foe a week or so then have a free one lined up to replace it when the month is up, i use 360 secure av, but when its in three months i will replace it

forgot to say i have a couple of old hard drives in enclosures, they can give me all the space i need when i need it, it would be cheaper than buying an ssd

flutered wrote: »
    forgot to say i have a couple of old hard drives in enclosures, they can give me all the space i need when i need it, it would be cheaper than buying an ssd

SSDs are recommended because they're much, much faster than HDDs, not for their storage capabilities. If an SSD is recommended its to run your OS off so you can do everything with less waiting, not store photos or whatever.

How did you get on kat1170?

• Advertisement

FrostyJim wrote: »
    How did you get on kat1170?

Away with work for a few days, will be trying all the suggestions next weekend. Will report back then.

Advertisement