Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

FF7 7777 wrote: »
    You just have to get the address of the thing you want to link (the URL it's called if we want to be techy about it).

So if you want to link this page, the address is up at the Top of the page there,

http: // www .boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056400156&page=54

I had to add in spaces there as I'm a new User and can't post links yet.

I've never used anything Apple but assuming it's the same as Android, and I'd say it is, you'd open the page you want to link, hold your finger down on the address bar and you should get some options like copy url and what have you.

Then open up where you want to add the link, hold your finger down and you'll get the paste option.

Cheers, thanks for that, will try it , should keep me busy for a while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Here's one way of hyper linking....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just on the Boards/pictures thing...

If I hold the mouse over my username and click 'Control Panel', over on the left of the next page I have a 'Pictures & Albums' folder. Are you saying you do not have that to upload pictures to?

I pay the annual subscription, so perhaps that came with that, I don't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

spurious wrote: »
    Just on the Boards/pictures thing...

If I hold the mouse over my username and click 'Control Panel', over on the left of the next page I have a 'Pictures & Albums' folder. Are you saying you do not have that to upload pictures to?

I pay the annual subscription, so perhaps that came with that, I don't remember.

Er, yes, Spurious, its a perk for subscribers...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm (almost) sure that Pictures & Albums is gone the way of the dodo and only remains there for legacy reasons - for the few of us who ever used it.
    I still have a few images there but I've not uploaded anything to it in years. Much easier to use a hosting site like Pix.ie, 500px or Flickr and re-post images from there.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Anybody using Instagram? Is it like a Facebooky kind of thing or Flickr?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I like to use IE and Chrome for different sites. If I erase all cookies/history/temp files using Control Panel / Internet options, will it erase cookies on both Browsers or do I need to do it individually for each Browser I use.

Cheers Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I believe Control Panel / Internet options will only affect IE. If you want to do both, consider Ccleaner

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Anybody using Instagram? Is it like a Facebooky kind of thing or Flickr?

It's a way to share photos taken with your phone. It's now owned by FaceBook so there's some overlap but isn't quite the same thing. Unlike Flickr where you edit your pictures (say from a dSLR) anyway you want (photoshop etc), Instagram typically uses simple filters and frames which make your pictures look like old Polaroid pictures. So if you install the Instagram app and sign in with FaceBook you can take pictures, add a fancy filter and then all your friends can see them. You can comment on pictures etc.

So in FaceBook you have a page and a news feed.
    In Flickr you share photos, typically high quality and is popular with amateur photographers.
    In Instagram you take fun stylised phone photos with Facebook style comments.
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    I like to use IE and Chrome for different sites. If I erase all cookies/history/temp files using Control Panel / Internet options, will it erase cookies on both Browsers or do I need to do it individually for each Browser I use.

Cheers Joe

Different locations. Internet Options in control panel only affects Internet Explorer. In Chrome you need to do this from within the browser itself.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Muffler, I've been offended by experts and have survived, so you'll have to try much, much harder to offend me!

Some time ago, I had exchanges with Boards "Help" on the issue of (guess what) attaching photos to Boards. It was like swimming in cut and pasted, jargon-rich treacle! Eventually, we came to a simple process (which now doesn't work) but no revision of "Help" was performed. It's still written in Middle Nerdish and there is no apparent wish to improve it.

Regarding my PC / laptop, yes, it's old and running XP. Unfortunately, the same failures also occur on Mrs. BrensBenz's shiny, new PC.

So, my apologies if I'm causing annoyance but, Society expects continuous improvement. Unfortunately, unless a process owner admits that improvement is possible, no improvement can happen.

I haven't read the whole context of this but if you want to post images to boards I would highly recommend pix.ie as it's very well geared to this purpose. This post from the Random Photo Thread gives some basic instructions. For the record this is the fiftieth incarnation of this thread and each thread is about a thousand images most of which come from Flickr or pix.ie. That's a lot of photos posted to boards!

So what you can do is go to pix.ie and sign up. Once you've got an account setup you can click the UPLOAD button and follow the instructions to select image files. For example you'll have to use the browse button to select the images. You can group these images into an Album by entering an Album name. Then you click the upload button at the bottom and after a few minutes they'll be on pix.ie.

If you go to the recent photos section - or your Albums you can see small versions of your pictures. Clicking on these opens a bigger version. At the top of the image is some blue text saying [more sizes]. Clicking this opens a pGe where you can select image sizes from small to huge. Larger and Extra Large are fine for boards. Scroll down and copy the text in the while box titles Forums.

Paste that bit of text into a post here and it'll appear in your boards post.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    It's a way to share photos taken with your phone. It's now owned by FaceBook so there's some overlap but isn't quite the same thing. Unlike Flickr where you edit your pictures (say from a dSLR) anyway you want (photoshop etc), Instagram typically uses simple filters and frames which make your pictures look like old Polaroid pictures. So if you install the Instagram app and sign in with FaceBook you can take pictures, add a fancy filter and then all your friends can see them. You can comment on pictures etc.

So in FaceBook you have a page and a news feed.
    In Flickr you share photos, typically high quality and is popular with amateur photographers.
    In Instagram you take fun stylised phone photos with Facebook style comments.

Thanks 5uspect, had to mull over that for a while but think I got that now. If you hang around here we might give you a pet name. I might just call you '5', with your permission of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I like Pix.ie, love it's layout and ease of use, however it has been a bit flakey of late according to some discussion on the photography forum. I would suggest that ye do as I do and host images from both Pix.ie and another host such as Flickr so that if Pix doesn't meet your requirements you can switch over to the secondary host.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Muffler, I've been offended by experts and have survived, so you'll have to try much, much harder to offend me!

I like it! May I borrow it?
    Some time ago, I had exchanges with Boards "Help" on the issue of (guess what) attaching photos to Boards. It was like swimming in cut and pasted, jargon-rich treacle! Eventually, we came to a simple process (which now doesn't work) but no revision of "Help" was performed. It's still written in Middle Nerdish and there is no apparent wish to improve it.

This may (or may not) help. It's a bit nerdy but it should work. Hit 'Reply' or 'New post'. A box comes up for you to type in. Say what you have to say. Now you want to add a picture. (Remember, however, that some parts of boards.ie - After Hours, I think, may be one - don't allow you to add pictures.) Anyway. Assuming you're in a picture-allowed forum, bo down to the 'Manage Attachments' button - it's down below the 'Submit Reply' button.

Click on 'Manage Attachments'. You'll see a line saying 'Upload file from your computer', and below that a button saying 'Choose file'.

Click 'Choose File'. It will show you the stuff that's on your computer. Find your photo wherever it is on your computer - on the Desktop, in the Downloads, in your Pictures folder… Cllick on it to select it. Click the 'Choose' button. You'll be back in the 'Choose File' dialogue. Now scoot over to the far right of this, and you'll see a button called 'Upload'. Click that, and then go down to the bottom and click the 'Close this Window' button.

The one that people usually miss is that hinky 'Upload' button, which is in a very non-obvious place.

Now you're back to your basic forum field. Click 'Submit Reply' as normal.

This is where it gets totally silly. Your reply comes up with the name of the file shown - a filename ending in .jpg

This is a hypertext link leading to where Boards has stored the file on its own server.

If you now want the photo to appear in the actual reply, so people see it without having to click that link, here's what you do: you click on that link yourself, and when the image opens, copy the address from the address bar. (A shortcut to do this is ctrl-L then ctrl-C on a PC or cmd-L then cmd-C on a Mac.)

Now you go back to your post, click 'Edit' and paste that link in, putting [ IMG ] before it (without the spaces - the square brackets should sit into the IMG), and [ /IMG ] after it (ditto with the spaces). Click 'Submit Reply' again, and your reply should now show with the image in it.

Why this can't be automated so your images automatically show once you've uploaded them I can't imagine, but then I'm not a programmer; maybe it's harder than nuclear physics to automate it.

I hope this is reasonably clear.

347170.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Love the kitties, we need more kitties! Thanks Qualitymark, thats brilliant! though I am not sure if my aged brain will cope with it, as you say its a bit of a long way round! Not exactly intuitive, is it! Kudos for figuring it out. I thought I was pretty good with keyboard shortcuts but I never knew the Ctrl L/ Ctrl C one, so thanks for that too!!

You're very welcome, looksee. It's actually not that hard when you get used to it - I just made sure every button and instruction was clear. Short version:

Go to Manage Files
    Upload your photo
    Close window
    Submit reply
    Click on link
    Ctrl-L then Ctrl-C in new window
    Close window
    Ctrl-V in posting
    Add IMG and /IMG tags in square brackets before and after link
    Submit Reply again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Audio has not been working ..anytime I try to click it is says audio not installed...there was malware or something trying to put ads into sites that were not there but my brother got rid of it and now no audio....?? Re-install windows???

Or is there another way?? Also big blank spaces come up and youtube was not working for a bit.

LadyAthame wrote: »
    Audio has not been working ..anytime I try to click it is says audio not installed...there was malware or something trying to put ads into sites that were not there but my brother got rid of it and now no audio....?? Re-install windows???

Or is there another way?? Also big blank spaces come up and youtube was not working for a bit.

Audio isn't working for playing CDs or for browsing? If browsing, try a different browser - Chrome, say, or Opera.

If for playing CDs, try it and see if you can play online audio.

If nothing's working, it's more likely to be a hardware problem. You could turn off your computer, unplug and (if not a laptop) open it up and resettle the sound card (the one with the sound jacks at the end facing out of the case) into its slot.

While you're at it, point the hoover tube at the fans and give a quick suck - don't let the tube touch anything, but suck out the dust). Now close everything up, plug everything in and see if that works. If not, you may need a new sound card.

==

Edit - Where do these big blank spaces come up?

YouTube won't work if you don't have something - Java? - installed to work with your browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'm gonna take a stab and say the brother has installed Ad block and thats where the spaces are coming from.

Could be, but I have adblock plus on one browser and amn't seeing spaces.

In relation to the sound, a quick google hasn't found references to adblock affecting audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Samsung galaxy s2 needs to update to kitkat 4.4 whatever that means. Is there an easy way of doing this. The instructions on google make it look ridiculously hard. Help would be appreciated

• Advertisement

Samsung galaxy s2 needs to update to kitkat 4.4 whatever that means. Is there an easy way of doing this. The instructions on google make it look ridiculously hard. Help would be appreciated

If the phone is offering the update you just need to accept the update and the phone will update itself. It may restart a couple if times but it won't require any work on your end. Might take about half an hour tops.

The instructions you're looking at are likely for a manual install and not what you need.

Your phone runs an operation system called Android. This is the software or computer code that makes everything work. Apps are new bits of code that add functions to the operating system. 4.4 is a newer version of Android. A computer will come with the Windows or Linux operating system, a Mac will come with the OS X operating system. iPhones use iOS.

Android is built on Linux. As a result it's very customisable. If you want you cab do all kinds IG things to it and those instructions likely are part of that. You shouldn't need to worry about any of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

LadyAthame wrote: »

reinstall windows and/or buy a mac, have one for 6 years now and it's never given one spot of bother at all
    If nothing's working, it's more likely to be a hardware problem. You could turn off your computer, unplug and (if not a laptop) open it up and resettle the sound card (the one with the sound jacks at the end facing out of the case) into its slot.

While you're at it, point the hoover tube at the fans and give a quick suck - don't let the tube touch anything, but suck out the dust)
    . Now close everything up, plug everything in and see if that works. If not, you may need a new sound card.

while you're at it, don't recommend someone intentionally creates loads of static within a laptop, the preferred method to cleaning out dust is to oepn the machine and use condensed air in a can ;)

Bring it to the phone shop and apply lavish praise and a couple of cupcakes in thanks to the youth who will purr as he shows how intelligent he is.
    while you're at it, don't recommend someone intentionally creates loads of static within a laptop, the preferred method to cleaning out dust is to oepn the machine and use condensed air in a can ;)

Pointing the hoover hose and not touching anything with it, as I warned, will not introduce static; incidentally, if you read my post carefully I say not to open up a laptop.

I have unfortunately just deleted a whole folder of bookmarked internet sites. Don't suppose there is a magic formula for getting them back?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I have unfortunately just deleted a whole folder of bookmarked internet sites. Don't suppose there is a magic formula for getting them back?? :(

which browser?

Firefox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

This link covers the two big boys, chrome and firefox anyway if it's one of them.

Edit: Posted same time, try that^^ anyway and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have you looked in recycle bin?

*edit* what _Tombstone_ said.. :D

Steve wrote: »
    Have you looked in recycle bin?

*edit* what _Tombstone_ said.. :D

Yes. Not there.

• Advertisement

This link covers the two big boys, chrome and firefox anyway if it's one of them.

Edit: Posted same time, try that^^ anyway and see how it goes.

That worked! Fab! Got them back now. Thanks so much.

Advertisement