Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

its an interesting point. I wonder what the time difference is going Swords to Sandyford via m50 vs. taking the Swords Express through the port tunnel and then Luas to Sandyford during rush hour. I'd imagine driving would probably be quicker but with the m50 getting more and more packed the time difference is likely getting smaller

with schools off etc, Id say if you have a car it makes sense to stay with m50. I had to use the M50 the other day as a one off and the reality is, it is so unpredictable, it is being effectively shut down left right and centre, at least with the bus or train and then luas, you would expect the journey time to far more consistent...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Here's what Tram X City looked like c. 100 years ago, at least ten routes crossing the Liffy.

369241.png

More of the map here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Here's what Tram X City looked like c. 100 years ago, at least ten routes crossing the Liffy.

369241.png

More of the map here

How depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There was no O'Connell bridge 100 years ago.
    Also no busses.

Also no busses.
    I suspect that he meant 90 years ago, but the tramway was the same as 100 years ago.
    The map was only for the tram routes, I'm certain that there were buses running though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Also no busses.

Really ?http://two.archiseek.com/2010/1880-oconnell-bridge-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There was definitely no "Talbort" or "Busy Park" !

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya, it was named after O'Connell in the 1880s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

touché

My mistake.
    Its just there was no O'Connell st then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

touché

My mistake.
    Its just there was no O'Connell st then.

There was - it was just called Sackville Steet. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    How depressing.

But they all ran along the same track - like the Luas cross city is going to. If they build nine spurs off that it'll be the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Saw a few lines on O'Connell St today jutting out of the works which is good to see. Does anyone know if the engineering works so far have uncovered any major obstacles underground or has it been steady enough?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Saw a few lines on O'Connell St today jutting out of the works which is good to see. Does anyone know if the engineering works so far have uncovered any major obstacles underground or has it been steady enough?
    They may even find some of the original tram lines, they could reuse them and save a bit of money. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They may even find some of the original tram lines, they could reuse them and save a bit of money. :pac:

They will be too far apart. (1.6m instead of 4ft 8.5 inch) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

369241.png

More of the map here

christ look at that red line, whitehall to rathfarnham, that would be a handy aul line these days

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

There was definitely no "Talbort" or "Busy Park" !

No Talbort?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

salmocab wrote: »
    christ look at that red line, whitehall to rathfarnham, that would be a handy aul line these days

Would be great but at that time the trams shared road space with Cars, that might be ok when there's only 1000 motor vehicles registered in the Free State of Ireland, but in 2015 it wouldn't really be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

cgcsb wrote: »
    Would be great but at that time the trams shared road space with Cars, that might be ok when there's only 1000 motor vehicles registered in the Free State of Ireland, but in 2015 it wouldn't really be an option.
    It wouldn't work with a Luas-type system, but many US cities have trams which share the road and it works perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It wouldn't work with a Luas-type system, but many US cities have trams which share the road and it works perfectly fine.

Have seen it in Toronto, you have an old timey tram, that is perfectly useless for commuting because you get stuck in traffic with all the cars. You might as well just drive yourself.

The odd think is in North America they have plenty of road space for tram and bus only lanes, while still having 4 lanes of regular traffic, they just don't do it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

7 new longer trams to enter service on Green Line from 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

cgcsb wrote: »
    Have seen it in Toronto, you have an old timey tram, that is perfectly useless for commuting because you get stuck in traffic with all the cars. You might as well just drive yourself.

The odd think is in North America they have plenty of road space for tram and bus only lanes, while still having 4 lanes of regular traffic, they just don't do it for some reason.
    I was thinking of some of the more modern systems with preferential traffic lights, etc. which take people around a certain area...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    7 new longer trams to enter service on Green Line from 2017.

How does that work - I only usually ride the red line where the trams and platforms are the same length - are the green line ones longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

From recollection when they built the lines originally, yes, red ones are shorter (I've a feeling it's to do with that bitch of bend at the top of Dr. Steeven's lane with James Street)

Over €5m +vat per tram?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

MJohnston wrote: »
    How does that work - I only usually ride the red line where the trams and platforms are the same length - are the green line ones longer?
    Dardania wrote: »
    From recollection when they built the lines originally, yes, red ones are shorter (I've a feeling it's to do with that bitch of bend at the top of Dr. Steeven's lane with James Street)

The Green and Red line trams are currently 43m and 40m long respectively. Not that much of a difference.

One would assume that the rest of the Green Line trams will be lengthened to match these new trams as part of the project.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The Green and Red line trams are currently all the same length.

One would assume that the rest of the Green Line trams will be lengthened to match these new trams as part of the project.

Nice runs varied length trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Green and Red line trams are currently all the same length.

Yeah but I was asking about the platforms, not the trams - maybe there's enough space taken up by the two driver cabs at either end to allow an extra carriage?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah but I was asking about the platforms, not the trams - maybe there's enough space taken up by the two driver cabs at either end to allow an extra carriage?

The platforms will be extended where necessary on the Green line to facilitate the longer trams.

South of Sandyford, they are all long enough already.

There will not be trams extending beyond the platform length.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

The platforms will be extended where necessary on the Green line to facilitate the longer trams.

South of Sandyford, they are all long enough already.

There will not be trams extending beyond the platform length.

That's interesting, never even noticed that BXD (or indeed Sandyford to Bride's Glen) was being built for longer trams, but just looking at the structure drawings for BXD they do indeed show nine segment trams at each stop. 54m is quite a beast of a tram.

• Advertisement

Nice runs varied length trams.

I really don't see it happening here - I would expect the existing Green Line fleet to be lengthened to match the new trams.

Advertisement