Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

smashiner wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Dubgal72
    Hi sideshow. I put your times on a Jack Daniels vdot table......

Yep, I tried a bottle of Jack Daniels last night and I have convinced myself that a sub 4 hour marathon is on the cards......thumping headache this morning mind you :eek::eek:

Does anyone know if the course is exactly the same as last year, as I don't remember running through Stoneybatter last year? It was changed a bit due to Luas works I believe......any insight DG or mentors?? Not really a big deal as it is early on in the race just curious.

Yes, it has changed. Different start. Try Southern Comfort tonight, that'll get rid of the headache :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

I've been out of action for a bit, just 2 runs in the last week, 4 miles & 3 miles. I've got some sort of bug that's knocked out myself, wifey and kiddies. No sign of it shifting yet, seems to be throat and upwards. Am overdosing on Lemsips/uniflu.
    Getting really worried as the days pass by.

donglen wrote: »
    I've been out of action for a bit, just 2 runs in the last week, 4 miles & 3 miles. I've got some sort of bug that's knocked out myself, wifey and kiddies. No sign of it shifting yet, seems to be throat and upwards. Am overdosing on Lemsips/uniflu.
    Getting really worried as the days pass by.

Hi donglen, sorry to hear that :( Have you got a temperature? If you know your resting heart rate (ideally a morning reading), you'll be able to gauge start-readiness. Don't worry about the missed runs at this stage, focus on getting plenty of rest and plenty of sleep. Echinacea works for me, don't know if it's placebo or not. Keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Physio last night went well, she felt my back was moving really well and hamstrings were much improved. Exactly the kind of input I needed. Just have a "cmon let's do this " feeling now!
    I noted on dg's post about a reduction in protein in the last 3 days or so, does this mean reducing meat? Replacing with carb?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Chops1234 wrote: »
    Ah you'll be grand! I just watched this and I shed a tear (yes I'm a sap!) I was both nervous and excited watching it and I just can't wait now :)

http://youtu.be/qHzvv2pmQGE

Oh Jaysus. I wish I hadn't watched this. I'm bricking it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Chops1234 wrote: »
    Ah you'll be grand! I just watched this and I shed a tear (yes I'm a sap!) I was both nervous and excited watching it and I just can't wait now :)

http://youtu.be/qHzvv2pmQGE

That's a great video, really inspirational watching everyone. Sap? ah I can well see myself having a few tears crossing the finish line next week.

ok, time to head out for a the second last session, I see the point of tapering but really don't like it. Is that just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    God yeah mc grattans full of sweaty runners post marathon :)

And YOU will be one of them this year!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

annapr wrote: »
    And YOU will be one of them this year!!! :D

I know can you believe it ..... It's like an out of body experience ! Still can't believe it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mrs Mc wrote:
    I know can you believe it ..... It's like an out of body experience ! Still can't believe it

Wait until Monday. Last year for me felt completely surreal. I couldn't believe that I was doing a marathon and enjoying it.
    I see more tracksuit talk, we've been over this already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I know can you believe it ..... It's like an out of body experience ! Still can't believe it :)

Believe it!!

Just back from 2 awesome miles. Smiled the whole way through. Dublin has gone marathon crazy!

Just up from my house is a big Asics billboard, you know, the go run it one? Started laughing dementedly when I saw that this evening. Then there's a marathon route sign up outside the estate. Finally a got a big beep last night and tonight and a roar of c'mon the marathon both times (it may have been the same car :o )

I'm back to the can't wait phase of taper, this is gonna be epic :D

I'm so hyper :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 smiley70

Only 5 more sleeps !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

I actually just checked if I have spare safety pins.

#BrickingIt

duffer247 wrote: »
    Physio last night went well, she felt my back was moving really well and hamstrings were much improved. Exactly the kind of input I needed. Just have a "cmon let's do this " feeling now!
    I noted on dg's post about a reduction in protein in the last 3 days or so, does this mean reducing meat? Replacing with carb?
    Thanks

Hi duffer, great news about the physio!

The reason you should eat mostly carbs (90-95%) in the three or so days before the marathon is so that your glycogen levels can top up fully. From what I have read, for your purposes here, a fully topped up glycogen store can stave off hitting 'the wall'. You don't need to eat significantly more over the next few days, just tip the balance in favour of carbs.

Reduce fibre too, for obvious reasons! Peel fruit and potatoes, drink a glass of fruit juice (full of carbs but very low fibre) etc. Bananas are low fibre and high carb too.

smiley70 wrote: »
    Only 5 more sleeps !!!

Only one hour til bed time ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Toulouse wrote: »
    Believe it!!

Just back from 2 awesome miles. Smiled the whole way through. Dublin has gone marathon crazy!

Just up from my house is a big Asics billboard, you know, the go run it one? Started laughing dementedly when I saw that this evening. Then there's a marathon route sign up outside the estate. Finally a got a big beep last night and tonight and a roar of c'mon the marathon both times (it may have been the same car :o )

I'm back to the can't wait phase of taper, this is gonna be epic :D

I'm so hyper :(

I used to avoid town like the plague on marathon monday. Bloody runners and closed roads!! Now im one of those bloody runners!!! Whats happening????? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Reduce fibre too, for obvious reasons! Peel fruit and potatoes, drink a glass of fruit juice (full of carbs but very low fibre) etc. Bananas are low fibre and high carb too.

Breakfast on the day, I'd normally have a small bowel of muesli, is that better of being substituted for something lighter then?

Apologies, that was me who raised the tracksuit question, as a late comer to the thread I'm probably raising questions that were already asked. lol, think of it a a gentle recap on what's already being discussed!

Finally question I can think of, I noticed in the video posted earlier that most people were in loose tops, now I've worn a tight top (base layer sort of t-shirt) in the last few races and prefer the fit. Is there any reason practical reason not to wear it or is it just a case of personnel preference?

Just in from 6 easy miles, included heartbreak hill for the craic, it's exactly what I needed. I think all that was wrong with me was that I hadn't run in a few days. All ok again now. 2 more runs to go before the big one.

Lads, honest to god, get that hill out of your heads, it's so short, you're up it before you e even had a chance to think about it and you've a lovely downhill straight away.

Also, when you're coming down fosters avenue it looks as though you've another hill ahead, I don't know what it is but you never actually get to that hill it's weird. So don't panic when you see that either, it's but an illusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

https://twitter.com/_gerryduffy/status/656810028754706432

I had a little chuckle when I saw this tweet from the legend Gerry Duffy earlier today.

Gillo wrote: »

Finally question I can think of, I noticed in the video posted earlier that most people were in loose tops, now I've worn a tight top (base layer sort of t-shirt) in the last few races and prefer the fit. Is there any reason practical reason not to wear it or is it just a case of personnel preference?

It really is just a case of personal preference. I'll be wearing a compression top under my singlet simply to prevent 'bleeding nipples'

Gillo wrote: »
    Breakfast on the day, I'd normally have a small bowel of muesli, is that better of being substituted for something lighter then?

Apologies, that was me who raised the tracksuit question, as a late comer to the thread I'm probably raising questions that were already asked. lol, think of it a a gentle recap on what's already being discussed!

Hi Gillo, to answer your previous question, I don't think many here are fans of taper either at this moment in time :)
    Do what you've been doing prior to your lsrs. If that was a bowl of muesli, stick with that. Don't try anything new: eat drink and wear as you have been training. So that answers your final question too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

ratracer wrote: »
    It really is just a case of personal preference. I'll be wearing a compression top under my singlet simply to prevent 'bleeding nipples'

One small bit of 3M surgical tape totally stops any nipple chaffing for me. Have worn for pretty much every run. It's only a few euro per roll in a chemist and it'll last you for years. Cut out a small square, enough to cover each nip and a bit around the edges. Maybe not the time to try anything new but for future marathons/long runs it's the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

One small bit of 3M surgical tape totally stops any nipple chaffing for me. Have worn for pretty much every run. It's only a few euro per roll in a chemist and it'll last you for years. Cut out a small square, enough to cover each nip and a bit around the edges. Maybe not the time to try anything new but for future marathons/long runs it's the job.

+1 and it literally can't do any harm so why not try it.
    I used this for the first time after years of running (and trying all kinds of solutions) and now can't believe I didn't always use it. It works so well it even survives showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Just to show off my fancy coded pace bands!

Blue dot: water stop
    Green dot: gel stop
    Silver dot: lucozade stop, want to be in a bad way to take it
    Red Cross: first aid
    Black T: toilets
    Long red line: drag/hill
    Long green line: downhill/fast

menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 and it literally can't do any harm so why not try it.
    I used this for the first time after years of running (and trying all kinds of solutions) and now can't believe I didn't always use it. It works so well it even survives showers.

Same here with hypafix tape (recommended on this thread) I have been using for a few months....which is probably the same thing really, very friendly to chest hair. I also have to use a good lot on my knee as a base for my strapping, it's a joy to take off in comparison to other stuff and it survives showers.

diego_b wrote: »
    Just to show off my fancy coded pace bands!

Blue dot: water stop
    Green dot: gel stop
    Silver dot: lucozade stop, want to be in a bad way to take it
    Red Cross: first aid
    Black T: toilets
    Long red line: drag/hill
    Long green line: downhill/fast

Love it!!! And why am I not surprised?! :p:D

Bed time Novices, shoo shoo, off you go. Yes, I know it's early now whisht ;):D

Dubgal72 wrote:
    Love it!!! And why am I not surprised?!

Haha thanks, tried and tested in race conditions as well! First time I've ever had to add toilets, first aid and gel stops but special occasion!

Bed time Novices, shoo shoo, off you go. Yes, I know it's early now whisht ;):D

I'm going, I'm going, just finishing this little glass of Sauvignon blanc 😜

ratracer wrote: »
    I'm going, I'm going, just finishing this little glass of Sauvignon blanc 😜

Sauvignon Blanc....SAUVIGNON BLANC???? :mad: :mad:

red is faaaaar better for you at this stage :p

• Advertisement

Sauvignon Blanc....SAUVIGNON BLANC???? :mad: :mad:

red is faaaaar better for you at this stage :p

Jeez you're a tough task master..... Ok, ok I'll try one of those next ( just cos you told me too though!)

Advertisement