Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Only issue Ive had to date with the phone is I cant seem to save pictures from twitter.

I get an "image could not be saved" message.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

touts wrote: »
    My week old ultra 6 just died today. Wouldn't switch on. I was driving along in the car with the phone in my coat. The Bluetooth system beeped to say it lost connection which I thought was odd. When I arrived and checked my phone it was dead. Battery wasn't the problem as it was fully charged this morning and after it died I tried plugging it in and it still doesnt work. Can't take out the battery which would have been my default action for similar problems with other phones. Too late to go to a Vodafone shop today. Anyone got any ideas?

Phone is back working again. Left it overnight and whatever it was doing drained the battery. Plugged it in this morning and it started up. Bit of a pain that there was no way to manually reset it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

ncur wrote: »
    I'm guessing the Vodafone Smart Turbo offer from Dunnes? Wrong thread so.

Oh. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Hmm was all set to get the galaxy note 4 on my upgrade but this phone has thrown me....
    I can get the note 4 for 169 on my upgrade so same price point but with an 18 month contract... Both phones are comparable with the note have an extra gb ram slightly better processor...
    The ultra would mean no contract and free to use upgrade later on if needed or change network...
    Currently getting unlimited calls texts and 5gb data for € 35
    any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

neacy69 wrote: »
    Hmm was all set to get the galaxy note 4 on my upgrade but this phone has thrown me....
    I can get the note 4 for 169 on my upgrade so same price point but with an 18 month contract... Both phones are comparable with the note have an extra gb ram slightly better processor...
    The ultra would mean no contract and free to use upgrade later on if needed or change network...
    any advice?

Your current €35 plan can be got for about €20 sim free. So if you lock yourself into that plan for another 18 months you will pay an extra €15 per month (€270) for the Note 4. If you think that the Note 4 is worth the extra €270, then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Does anyone have an issue clicking on notifications? When the phone is locked or I'm in another app, I a floating notification saying someone texted or is calling but never let's me click on them.

Has anyone come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Discovered a dead pixel on my Smart Ultra :(

Would Vodafone give me a replacement phone? I only have it 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

GvidoR wrote: »

Might be worth trying one of the software fixes in the Play Store./ I have no experience with them, but they do seem to work in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Howdy all have the phone over a week well impressed have a cotechs case for it.

Problem is in work i tend to forget i have it in my pocket and am afraid ill make shyte of it have gone through one tempered glass screen already:(

Anybody have a link to a rugged case for it or do you think a case for a zte blade plus would do specs seem very close when i did a quick google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Might be worth trying one of the software fixes in the Play Store./ I have no experience with them, but they do seem to work in some cases.

What are they?

Never heard of software fixes in the play store :confused:

• Advertisement

any advice?

Depends on your usage, you may figure out what the best plan for you is. How many texts and call minutes would you spend per month? Use much data? Possible to get a cheaper plan that accommodates you and save you possibly a fair bit of money over a year+?

I wouldn't expect someone to tell me what the best deal is for me, boardsie or sales assistant since they probably wouldnt really give a sh17 or know.

I'd much rather the build quality, camera and screen of the note 4 anyway. Its a much better phone imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,131 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

What are they?

If they're anything like PC dead pixel apps, it'll quickly cycle through full colour screens to try and "unstick" dead/stuck pixels. Worth a shot, but if the pixel is dead dead and not just stuck I don't think it can bring it back.

I tried to return a Lumia 800 with half the RAM it should have had after a week of use. They insisted on sending the phone for repair rather than offering a replacement. Maybe screen issues are treated differently...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭DopeTech

jaqian wrote: »
    Does anyone have an issue clicking on notifications? When the phone is locked or I'm in another app, I a floating notification saying someone texted or is calling but never let's me click on them.

Has anyone come across this?

I have had that a couple of times. Not sure what's causing it but a quick power off and on of the screen seems to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No. There are some tolerances for malfunctioning pixels. I am afraid one dead pixel does not cut it and your phone is fully operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Just wondering if anyone can help... It's not really a big deal and probably only a setting I'm missing but I don't get notifications when the screen is locked... I get a beep and the blue notification starts flashing but the fone display doesn't come out of sleep to let me know!
    I've missed a few important messages & now find myself constantly waking the fone up to check which I hate doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭DopeTech

unreg999 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can help... It's not really a big deal and probably only a setting I'm missing but I don't get notifications when the screen is locked... I get a beep and the blue notification starts flashing but the fone display doesn't come out of sleep to let me know!
    I've missed a few important messages & now find myself constantly waking the fone up to check which I hate doing!

Afaik there is no option to do this on the phone itself. You need to download either glimpse notifications or screen notifications from the play store.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hmm was all set to.get the galaxy note 4 on my upgrade but this phone has thrown me....I
    I can get the note 4 for 169 on my upgrade so same price point but with an 18 month contract... Both phones are comparable with the note have an extra gb ram..
    any advice?

I think you have to be realistic in terms of the devices you're comparing here.

One is (was...) a flagship device that is highly regarded and known to be a great performer in almost every way. It's a device that easily cost 600+ when it first came out. So perhaps it's not the best to compare it to this, well at least not too closely.

I love my smart ultra 6, one of the best phones I've had in a long time (I came from an S4...ugh...). It's probably not a bad option, it will mean you're not in a crazy contract and can pay ~20 a month for a bill rather than 35+ depending on what your usage is.

PS The Note 5 has been released, I wouldn't be paying 169 for the old model just as the new model has been released!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

I have an issue with my screen that may or may not be pressure damage.

When I asked about repair options in store I was told the following;

If you have the phone less than 21 days they will swap it.
    If more than 21 days you can leave it for repair. A loan phone may be provided.
    Rather than wait the 1-2 weeks there is an option to take the phone to the repair centre in person, pay €15 for "walk in" service and have the phone dealt with same day.

PS The Note 5 has been released, I wouldn't be paying 169 for the old model just as the new model has been released!

With the Note5 being a complete disaster:
    • No SD card
    • Non-removable Battery
    • Stylus gate
    • Glass all over it - prone to cracking etc...
    it is a generation to skip... At least IMHO...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

grogi wrote: »
    With the Note5 being a complete disaster:
    • No SD card
    • Non-removable Battery
    • Stylus gate
    • Glass all over it - prone to cracking etc...
    it is a generation to skip... At least IMHO...

Doesn't change the fact that the old model should become cheaper.

• Advertisement

Doesn't change the fact that the old model should become cheaper.

It is still the best Phablet money can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What are they?

As mentioned above, stuck pixels can sometimes be forced back to work again.

Also as mentioned, a dead pixel isn't considered a fault, there is a certain amount of defective pixels per million allowed AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I just got another system update notification, 13 mb size. I believe it to be the stage fright vulnerability fix.

fdevine wrote: »
    I have an issue with my screen that may or may not be pressure damage.

When I asked about repair options in store I was told the following;

If you have the phone less than 21 days they will swap it.
    If more than 21 days you can leave it for repair. A loan phone may be provided.
    Rather than wait the 1-2 weeks there is an option to take the phone to the repair centre in person, pay €15 for "walk in" service and have the phone dealt with same day.

Just back from the Vodafone store with a brand new phone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just back from the Vodafone store with a brand new phone. :)

had you unlocked it?

sweetie wrote: »
    had you unlocked it?

Nope

I just got another system update notification, 13 mb size. I believe it to be the stage fright vulnerability fix.

Yep. My device is no longer stagefright vulnerable according to the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

Has anyone on Vodafone rooted this phone?
    Does rooting allow you to delete APNs off the phone?
    Using the WiFi hotspot uses the hs.vodafone APN which results in data charges rather than using the live.vodafone APN and any free data allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I just got an update to VDF-995NB01-IE_MRO1d. I assume it the stagefright update as all it said was android security update.

Advertisement