Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Once again, false hope...

Now this is the 5th time we have been promised efibre in the town and NOTHING!!
    The lines are about to burst with the amount of people on them and in-turn, I'm getting .5/.4 down after 5PM in the evening.

''Apparently'' it will be finished in 6 weeks.

Is there anything the town can do to get them to move it along? I along with many other residents have contacted Comreg and they can't seem to do anything. Probably 40 or 50 formal complaints sent into Eircom and all come back with the same answer ''We are not in the position to upgrade them''?

Can we do anything as a town? :mad:

Talk to Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nada.

You likely lose them money, you should know that. They really couldn't be arsed upgrading you and are probably doing it to reduce fault call outs in the area, they won't profit from it.

You're commercially unviable, that's why the NBP exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

ED E wrote: »
    Nada.

You likely lose them money, you should know that. They really couldn't be arsed upgrading you and are probably doing it to reduce fault call outs in the area, they won't profit from it.

You're commercially unviable, that's why the NBP exists.

Thanks for that! But the town's population is about 2000/3000... surely they would make a profit if they hooked it up as most of the residents in the town would opt for the highest speed available?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Where's that that isn't NGN and is that big?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Got a call from Vodafone about upgrading to fibre, New modem in the post and engineer to call to fix new socket.
    Thing is it's only FTTE for the moment and will(soon I hope) be upgraded to FTTC. They said I'd probably get around 15/17mb dl. Not sure about the upload speeds.
    It seems having Paudie Coffey from Portlaw is of some advantage......or is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Finally some progress on my estate in Ashford Co.Wicklow , plinths for two cabs AFD1_001 and AFD1_003

IMG_0694.jpg

Capture.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

I know some on here were able to check if exchanges are live or not, is this still possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

paulbok wrote: »
    I know some on here were able to check if exchanges are live or not, is this still possible?

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ click the NGA fiber broaband network Sorry this is only the predicted go lives , there are some lads with posts in here with the extra DF lists. As on this one my own exchange still says live on the 15th of july , it should read live.

Not sure if the curl based line prequal is still working ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 harkin1987

Map has been updated on eircoms main site. A lot of green :)

Edit:
    Its reverted back :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

harkin1987 wrote: »
    Map has been updated on eircoms main site. A lot of green :)

Edit:
    Its reverted back :/

How do you know which cabinet matches your house? I have 4 around me, three are green and the 4th red. Nothing from Eircom or any other providers to say when line will be available.
    Would it be true to say the UPC would use the same cables as Eircom?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Retail map updated @ http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

A lot of 'May 2015' areas now down as Sep-Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

marno21 wrote: »

What a shower of see you next Tuesdays. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

Which in turn will mean that most of the Jan-Mar dates will go back to being Apr-July dates in due course.... :rolleyes:

Honestly, these maps are a complete joke with the amount of times they change - the only thing that is consistent is the way that dates are missed and pushed back! :(

It's both annoying and frustrating - especially for people who are coming to the end of their current contract (which seems to be a lot of people with the previous NBP plan) and are trying to figure out their options before committing to another contract....

MICKEYG wrote: »
    How do you know which cabinet matches your house? I have 4 around me, three are green and the 4th red. Nothing from Eircom or any other providers to say when line will be available.
    Would it be true to say the UPC would use the same cables as Eircom?

No thsi is not true UPC use Coax much higher grade cable than two pair low gauge eircom use.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

When eVDSL was finally approved and the map was updated to doing ~200 areas this summer I thought it was going to be done in record time. Turns out about 40% of those areas were done and some May areas are still incomplete

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Quick question regarding the fibre cabinet, my address is quite ambiguous and and has no landline number, so I always get that fibre is not available in my area, the cabinet is fibre ready and I confirmed that with the technician who was working on it, it is right beside where I live, if I was to get the cabinet number would Vodafone be able verify that I can upgrade to fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

Xenji wrote: »
    Quick question regarding the fibre cabinet, my address is quite ambiguous and and has no landline number, so I always get that fibre is not available in my area, the cabinet is fibre ready and I confirmed that with the technician who was working on it, it is right beside where I live, if I was to get the cabinet number would Vodafone be able verify that I can upgrade to fibre?

Your line might pass under it if the cabinet is newer than your phone line.

Wholesale map updated @ http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Areas marked for 8 July/29 July now marked as live

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Wholesale map updated @ http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Areas marked for 8 July/29 July now marked as live

That map and all the roll out maps have been terrible, yes we have fibre for Castlebar town centre according to it, half of the town centre does not even have it 2 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Xenji wrote: »
    That map and all the roll out maps have been terrible, yes we have fibre for Castlebar town centre according to it, half of the town centre does not even have it 2 years later.

I'd have to agree a lot of hype surrounding the rollout(the maps part of that hype)- very little area covered yet apart from town centres and cities. I live on the outskirts of Limerick city and 2mb is all I have available to me. A fibre cabinet at the end of my road about 1 km from my house that has been there for 3 years now. I'm connected directly to a exchange via poles - it would obviously be way too much work to connect me to the cabinet. This is the company we all have to depend on!!
    My fingers are crossed for Siro as I don't see Eircom ever doing the job properly.
    Not ever.

damienirel wrote: »
    I'd have to agree a lot of hype surrounding the rollout(the maps part of that hype)- very little area covered yet apart from town centres and cities. I live on the outskirts of Limerick city and 2mb is all I have available to me. A fibre cabinet at the end of my road about 1 km from my house that has been there for 3 years now. I'm connected directly to a exchange via poles - it would obviously be way too much work to connect me to the cabinet. This is the company we all have to depend on!!
    My fingers are crossed for Siro as I don't see Eircom ever doing the job properly.
    Not ever.

Amen Brother. As soon as siro begin to move into areas , i dont doubt that eircom will be runing along behind them ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

dbit wrote: »
    Amen Brother. As soon as siro begin to move into areas , i dont doubt that eircom will be runing along behind them ......

To get fibre rolled out in Ireland we need bosses with vision. All we have with eircom is a bunch of moany shareholders - good luck with that.

Internet speeds will remain dismal in Ireland unless some other entity like Siro grabs the challenge and sees the potential profit that awaits them.

I admit there is vast investment in a fibre network that reaches peoples homes but once that network is in place watch the cash roll in. Can you imagine your neighbor on 2mb whilst you're on 1gb speed - I know my neighbour wouldn't take too long to make their minds up about switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

those distances eg. 500m and 1000m has to be in straight line or as the road goes? I got 250 m to the nearest green box in a straight line but 750 m by going main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

thedumbone wrote:
    those distances eg. 500m and 1000m has to be in straight line or as the road goes? I got 250 m to the nearest green box in a straight line but 750 m by going main road.

As the cable goes. You can find out your distance to your cab/exchange by checking your downstream attenuation on your modem page.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    As the cable goes. You can find out your distance to your cab/exchange by checking your downstream attenuation on your modem page.

i guess thats it

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:19,5 / 32,5

im lossing 66%~, now, how im gonna calculate distance out of it? 32,5=1km?
    i know nothing about it

i got 8mb out of 24mb offered if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

thedumbone wrote: »
    i guess thats it

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:19,5 / 32,5

im lossing 66%~, now, how im gonna calculate distance out of it? 32,5=1km?
    i know nothing about it

i got 8mb out of 24mb offered if that helps

Using this calculator it puts you at 2.3km from current cab/exchange: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Which is unfortunately too far to benefit from efibre.

I'm not sure if there's any cases of eircom switching people to closer cabs.

Other more experienced people here might know.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Using this calculator it puts you at 2.3km from current cab/exchange: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Which is unfortunately too far to benefit from efibre.

I'm not sure if there's any cases of eircom switching people to closer cabs.

Other more experienced people here might know.

thats stupid, i'm 2 years with them though, last year I changed my apartment but I only moved like 300m, so I would suspect that they didn't change cab/exchange (also new cab was added in 2k14) but i still can't imagine how the hell could possibility connected to the cab which is 2.3km away. It's freaking impossible.

Just look at it, are they not using logic?

http://i.imgur.com/CcCByAe.png

i am currently on dsl connection, thinking about switching to fibre but if it wouldnt change anything then there is no point of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

thats stupid, i'm 2 years with them though, last year I changed my apartment but I only moved like 300m, so I would suspect that they didn't change cab/exchange (also new cab was added in 2k14) but i still can't imagine how the hell could possibility connected to the cab which is 2.3km away. It's freaking impossible.

Just look at it, are they not using logic?

http://i.imgur.com/CcCByAe.png

i am currently on dsl connection, thinking about switching to fibre but if it wouldnt change anything then there is no point of doing it

If you are on adsl, the distance to the exchange is what matters, the distance to your cabinet does not come in to it. It'll tell you nothing about your expected vdsl speed unless your line is connected directly to the exchange.

There are a couple of cabinets close to you that have not yet launched
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Have you checked whether your line has vdsl available?

Go to
    https://www.eircom.net/broadband/home?r=y

Click buy now and then enter in your phone / address - you will have an option to display the max speed for your line

I put a couple of addresses (21,23) for the road you indicated in your map and the page above said speeds of 90mb were available.

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    If you are on adsl, the distance to the exchange is what matters, the distance to your cabinet does not come in to it. It'll tell you nothing about your expected vdsl speed unless your line is connected directly to the exchange.

There are a couple of cabinets close to you that have not yet launched
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Have you checked whether your line has vdsl available?

Go to
    https://www.eircom.net/broadband/home?r=y

Click buy now and then enter in your phone / address - you will have an option to display the max speed for your line

I put a couple of addresses (21,23) for the road you indicated in your map and the page above said speeds of 90mb were available.

yeah I asked last year UPC and check it already on eircoms website;
    We have checked XXX SAGGART DUBLIN 24 DUBLIN

You are in an eFibre enabled area

Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home
    Line Speed
    You can get a maximum of 80Mb download speed

whatever it means, apparently I can be connected, I'm just wondering what would be actual maximum speed of download. I know it depends on a lot of factors. Would 50% of 80mb be a possibility to achieve?
    Also, I didn't know about the fibrerollout.ie, they had to add new cabinets recently near me as I have only 100m to them.

Thanks for the answers.

Advertisement