Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**The wtf plumbing thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Wow its like a puzzle

It sure is. And it wasn't the crystal maze I was in either:-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Supper sexy workmanship here.
    Run Forrest run...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Something isn't quite right here, can't quite place it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Something isn't quite right here, can't quite place it

Who the f**k would do that??

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Who the f**k would do that??

Was down 10/12 steps below ground level and inside a arch maybe a metre in to the flue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

344507.jpg

Nuff said!

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Nuff said!

No Fire valve of any sort.

Imo this is ****.

A towel rail was replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Imo this is ****.

shocking,even the different colour nuts is bad enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Imo this is ****.

At least take the penny valves off and bend a bit of copper..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Use the wider brackets & Lower the rad. It's that simple to hide this mess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

Wearb wrote: »
    344507.jpg

Nuff said!

No fire valve! Hoses that look like they've been on it a few years! At least the tiger loop Is above the oil pump even tho it is the wrong type tigerloop!

Alkatine on a oil line?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Alkatine on a oil line?

What's alkatine?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What's alkatine?

Perhaps a neighbour of aquadare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

What's alkatine?
    Alkathene is like hydrodare - google it, its a real rubbery type of pipe.

What's alkatine?
    Alkathene is like hydrodare - google it, its a real rubbery type of pipe.

I thought it was just a different name for it.

Heavy gauge, alkathene (spelling wtf) hydrodare. Black stuff that stings if you get whipped in the thigh with. Etc

I thought it was just a different name for it.

Heavy gauge, alkathene (spelling wtf) hydrodare. Black stuff that stings if you get whipped in the thigh with. Etc

I think any pipe that whips you in the thigh is gonna sting ;)

Hydrodare for oil. God. I've seen 1/2 qualpex used too

I think any pipe that whips you in the thigh is gonna sting ;)

That's the worst. Bit of weight to it.

Joys of apprenticeship in a company with 10+ apprentices. Messing went mad

• Advertisement

That's the worst. Bit of weight to it.

Joys of apprenticeship in a company with 10+ apprentices. Messing went mad

Or when you've 20m of 1" qual rolled out on a cold day and you cut it. Cooling back at you like a cartoon

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ray.g

Can't post a photo. Was digging a leak of 35,000litres/day and found 2 tectite joiners on 1/2" HG. the only work done in the garden was when a new gas main was moled into the house 3 years previously. They must have realised they hit the mains and when they dug down to repair it they broke the sewer and left it like that. It was the quickest repair I ever made as I was so afraid of the sewer spilling into the bottom of the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'm not sure if this is worthy of this WTF thread, but I was so annoyed by what I uncovered today that I took some photos. I'm carrying out some building work in my back garden and as part of this I need to drop the existing oil line from the tank back to the boiler. I knew the line was pretty shallow in parts and this would present problems when digging out for my new shed; rather than just extend the length of the existing pipe I decided to rip the lot out and put a new, longer length in, reusing the existing ducting and adding on an extra metre or two as required, taping the joint with "Denso" tape. The ground is bad and the digging was hard going; when I eventually uncovered the line I found three separate sections of ducting with large gaps where they "met", and there was no ducting where the copper line passed under the concrete footpath. I had intended to just fish my line through the (non-existant) duct under the path, I've a lot more probing and digging now to get my duct under the path. Of course the main length of ducting was full of water and muck so I've decided to use a new length of ducting altogether. A lot of extra work is now required of me for the want of a couple of euro saved on providing the correct ducting length by the original plumber/ builder!

That's a wide path with sewerage pipes there too. Gonna be a nightmare getting under it. You'd be as well to put an AJ up to the path, cut the line and joint it in the AJ, running the new ducting from the tank into the AJ too. Make sure you use inserts in the 10mm pipe too

That's a wide path with sewerage pipes there too. Gonna be a nightmare getting under it. You'd be as well to put an AJ up to the path, cut the line and joint it in the AJ, running the new ducting from the tank into the AJ too. Make sure you use inserts in the 10mm pipe too

It is a nightmare alright, but I've managed to rake out a small channel under the path to route the ducting through (using a 25mm duct for this short section, 40mm for the remainder. There is barely just over an inch of clearance over the sewer, but do-able! I don't want to cut the path anymore as I've already made two cuts- one for electric supply and the other for a drainage connection. Not sure what you mean about inserts- I'm using 10mm soft copper (0.7mm wall thickness)?

It is a nightmare alright, but I've managed to rake out a small channel under the path to route the ducting through (using a 25mm duct for this short section, 40mm for the remainder. There is barely just over an inch of clearance over the sewer, but do-able! I don't want to cut the path anymore as I've already made two cuts- one for electric supply and the other for a drainage connection. Not sure what you mean about inserts- I'm using 10mm soft copper (0.7mm wall thickness)?

Yes you can get inserts for soft copper

Yes you can get inserts for soft copper

Thanks for your comment, as an amateur I didn't know these were available, the old oil line did not have them at the fittings. I visited my local plumbers merchant this morning-he doesn't think they are necessary and doesn't stock them as a result! I went to the builders providers and they didn't have them either and said they were hard to get! However the man at the trade counter managed to source 2 for me. So armed with inserts I continued with the digging etc, finally got the ducting and piping in place, hooked up the lot and got the burner fired up at last. All it needs now is a proper service, a job for a pro this time!

Thanks for your comment, as an amateur I didn't know these were available, the old oil line did not have them at the fittings. I visited my local plumbers merchant this morning-he doesn't think they are necessary and doesn't stock them as a result! I went to the builders providers and they didn't have them either and said they were hard to get! However the man at the trade counter managed to source 2 for me. So armed with inserts I continued with the digging etc, finally got the ducting and piping in place, hooked up the lot and got the burner fired up at last. All it needs now is a proper service, a job for a pro this time!

A couple of tips, take that high spot out of the oil line at the tank.
    Also, fit a remote acting firevalve at the boiler, preferably outside the casing. Then get it serviced. Fair play to you for trying to do the right thing

A couple of tips, take that high spot out of the oil line at the tank.
    Also, fit a remote acting firevalve at the boiler, preferably outside the casing. Then get it serviced. Fair play to you for trying to do the right thing

The photo at the oil tank is misleading, the "goose neck" bend I put in to allow for possible movement (during building and paving work to follow) is "level"- there is no risk of an air trap. I'll ask the service engineer about the fire valve. Other than that I'm happy with a job that was better executed than the original job more than 16 years ago. Thanks for your advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ray.g

Digging a leak of 17,000 litres/day and found a lead pipe with lots of kangoo hammer dents in it. One of them must have pierced the pipe and whoever done it decided that the best fix for it was to wrap a roll of insulating tape around it. Last time the floor was touched was over 3 years ago. The owner was getting huge water bills and never thought to wonder why.

Advertisement