Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Never done it , but these days its been that long since I've played id prob throw the club further than I'd hit a ball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Not a very convincing apology/excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I threw the driver out of bounds off the first tee in Mitchelstown at the end of my real shot. Just left it go at the end of my swing she sailed beautifully out over a 16 foot wall in full HD slow motion in front of a full practice green.

Morto.

Did something similar in my back garden a few years back.... not intentionally.... thought I'd have a few practice swings with an old 5 iron, slippy grip, off she went over the back hedge, clattered onto the neighbour's garage......

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Did something similar in my back garden a few years back.... not intentionally.... thought I'd have a few practice swings with an old 5 iron, slippy grip, off she went over the back hedge, clattered onto the neighbour's garage......

Fantastic! Did you ask for the club back????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Not a very convincing apology/excuse.

You have to pick your words very carefully on live tv.

Its not like hes walking into the bar with his mates where he can say :: " that ****in 8th hole. Such a pain in my b******s. Never liked thst 3 iron anywsys. Obviously stupid thing to do but at the time damn it felt good. I regretted it completely 10 seconds later...... Guinness please! "

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Stenson is one funny guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

HighLine wrote: »
    To be fair lads... if he was doing things like this frequently then I would agree with the childish comments etc. but he doesn't. In fact, I've only seen him lose it twice, the other one being toothgate.

The fact remains, he is a fantastic ambassador for our sport! He gives ample time for media and fans, charity and what he is doing right now for the Irish Open is to be commended. I'm sure he is already regretting what happened today.

I kind of agree with you, but I think he let himself down today. I'm sure he regrets what happened and I hope he will learn from it, but he has to remember that he is in the public eye (particularly when playing) and he has to be like Caesar's wife - beyond reproach.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

PGA fine to go with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

HighLine wrote: »
    To be fair lads... if he was doing things like this frequently then I would agree with the childish comments etc. but he doesn't. In fact, I've only seen him lose it twice, the other one being toothgate.

The fact remains, he is a fantastic ambassador for our sport! He gives ample time for media and fans, charity and what he is doing right now for the Irish Open is to be commended. I'm sure he is already regretting what happened today.

More than twice, didnt he break a club out of frustration last year? Also stupidly slammed club when hitting a poor bunker shot. Cost him a penalty if I recall as ball was in the bunker :) maybe that was Sergio though, sounds more like him :) A bit of petulance often comes with genius I guess when you're almost used to perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Only just heard about chucking the club in the water on the news this evening - really surprised......he generally conducts himself well, in fairness. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

I wonder did he fling his club in the water because he had a tooth ache..

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Just shows you how much money he is earning that he can afford to throw a club away like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

"It's a course designed for 10 mph winds and they blow 20 mph here."
    Rory describing Doral. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

"It's a course designed for 10 mph winds and they blow 20 mph here."
    Rory describing Doral. :)

It's the same for everyone. As world number 1, he shouldn't be making excuses for indifferent play. Sounds as if his head is in the wrong place at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

mafc wrote: »
    Can't believe Rory did that, Shocking.
    Childish behaviour from Worlds No. 1
    We are all human Mafc, trun me club into the gorse at the 2nd in your place after been 1st up, the 2 other lads birdied the hole, it was just that 3 seconds of madness after seeing the ball arc away to the right. i got some stick off the lads who were asking me to fling me bat on every tee for the rest of the morning....good laugh.

Dealerz wrote: »
    Fantastic! Did you ask for the club back????

No, it was an old one so I decided to leave it at that. Less said the better. I was about to say it could be still there until I remembered they built an extension a year or two back. I can hear the builder saying "Missus, do ya want this golf club I found on yer roof?" It was a lovely swing though, very smooth flight....

Anyone who throws a club is a spa. Sorry.
    Not a good choice of words Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr Devious

There's not a golfer in the world who hasn't felt like flinging the club out of our sight or bending it over our knee at sometime or other. The only thing that stops most of us is the cost of replacing it, the pros haven't that concern.

Dr Devious wrote: »
    There's not a golfer in the world who hasn't felt like flinging the club out of our sight or bending it over our knee at sometime or other. The only thing that stops most of us is the cost of replacing it, the pros haven't that concern.

Yeah, it's not great, but it's not like he threw it at anybody. Not saying I approve, but we don't need to get too sanctimonious about it. Not as bad as Garcia spitting in a hole a few years back. Imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

We are all human Mafc, trun me club into the gorse at the 2nd in your place after been 1st up, the 2 other lads birdied the hole, it was just that 3 seconds of madness after seeing the ball arc away to the right. i got some stick off the lads who were asking me to fling me bat on every tee for the rest of the morning....good laugh.

Ah so that club I found last year with the rusty shaft & bent head is yours ! Give me a shout next time you're down & I'll return it to you 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

yettie1701 wrote: »
    I wonder did he fling his club in the water because he had a tooth ache..

It really frustrates me to see posts that add no value to the discussion and somewhat ironic that the above post is childish in itself. If you have nothing constructive to add just don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

jimd2 wrote: »
    Just shows you how much money he is earning that he can afford to throw a club away like that.

It doesn't come close to showing how much money he's earning.

If he was making 5% of what he makes, he could easily afford to throw away a club.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

blockic wrote: »
    It really frustrates me to see posts that add no value to the discussion and somewhat ironic that the above post is childish in itself. If you have nothing constructive to add just don't bother.

Less of the back seating modding. Thanks

blockic wrote: »
    Is it the same type of frustration as Rory had when he tried to kill that Carp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Alright well we can finally put IronGate to bed.... it's been recovered!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

That is class.

Won't go away quick.

But as Keano said - maybe this is good for Nike.

Tag line
    "Our clubs are so good - you'll do anything to get them back".
    "Nike - Just Do It"

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Is Rory back using last years nike irons and if so why? Sorry if it's mentioned already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

B_iOQMoVAAAs3kk.png

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

slave1 wrote: »
    B_iOQMoVAAAs3kk.png

Why is he not using the vapour?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement