Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

bobster453 wrote: »
    Same as they did in the Poppyfields before it was sold. They are only interested in getting money in and don't even contemplate any requests for reductions thus leaving under pressure retailers with little option if the business isn't there but to close.
    Heard lately that Marks and Sparks are going the same way but that is possibly just the rumour mill doing the rounds.

I think NAMA sold it on, no?

the way it looks to me is the bargain shops (Crunch, 2,4,6,8, Iceland) are being given the road and only the "brands" are remaining, Argos, TK Maxx, M&S - with the idea that more high end brands will open there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

the way it looks to me is the bargain shops (Crunch, 2,4,6,8, Iceland) are being given the road and only the "brands" are remaining, Argos, TK Maxx, M&S - with the idea that more high end brands will open there.
    bringing the UK "High street" to a town near you !

destroying another town enroute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Iceland are a "brand", strangely enough they opened an outlet in Carlow not long after shutting down operations here. Fine wines another with outlets all over the country opted to close their store at the Showgrounds. Must be issues with the Landlord clearly, ridiculous business sense to have shops closed/jobs lost/units empty as you suggest in putting faith in "ideas" to secure a major player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

A friend of mine posted on facebook last night (Sat 14th) that a helicopter and lots of blue flashing lights were seen over in the Newcastle /Comeraghs area.
    I heard and saw the (presumably) Waterford based SAR heading east to west over the town at around eight last night.
    Anybody know what was going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

cml387 wrote: »
    A friend of mine posted on facebook last night (Sat 14th) that a helicopter and lots of blue flashing lights were seen over in the Newcastle /Comeraghs area.
    I heard and saw the (presumably) Waterford based SAR heading east to west over the town at around eight last night.

Family of walkers went missing up around the Vee. They were found safe and sound at about 4.00am this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

RobAMerc wrote: »
    bringing the UK "High street" to a town near you !

destroying another town enroute.

The High Street brands are the ones people want and remember the people working in them are also locals. Just because they are UK brands does not mean they somehow teleport workers in from the UK. And clearly the big name UK brands are not sucking the life completely out of the town centre. More shops have closed in the Showgrounds and Poppyfields recently than in the town centre. People go to the out of town shopping centres but are clearly spending no more there than in the town centre. The increasing number of empty units testify to that.

The problem is this so called recovery isn't all it is cracked up to be. People don't have spare cash to spend. The government hold weekly announcements about some new jobs initiative but nothing happens outside Dublin. Even the latest version that specifically named some areas outside the M50 had no mention of South Tipperary let alone Clonmel.

cml387 wrote: »

Someone decided to go for an evening stroll with their young family around the vee and got lost when it got dark. They had to phone 999 for a lift home. Hopefully they also got the bill for their stupidity.

touts wrote: »
    Someone decided to go for an evening stroll with their young family around the vee and got lost when it got dark. They had to phone 999 for a lift home. Hopefully they also got the bill for their stupidity.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/women-and-three-children-rescued-in-mountain-ordeal-30995245.html

Stupid, yes, but could have been a tragedy. Well Done Rescuers. Keep this in mind when you next see collections for Mountain Rescue groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Does anybody have the number for reliable taxi company/driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Wellyd wrote: »
    Does anybody have the number for reliable taxi company/driver?

John Beckett

087)3137778. 32 Highfield Grove Clonmel Tipperary Co. Tipperary. (087)
    3137778 (mobile). Write a review. Category Taxis & Taxicabs

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    The High Street brands are the ones people want and remember the people working in them are also locals. Just because they are UK brands does not mean they somehow teleport workers in from the UK. And clearly the big name UK brands are not sucking the life completely out of the town centre. More shops have closed in the Showgrounds and Poppyfields recently than in the town centre. People go to the out of town shopping centres but are clearly spending no more there than in the town centre. The increasing number of empty units testify to that.
    do you think that the money being spent in the high street chains comes from nowhere ?
    No it doesn't, the money being spent in them comes directly from the dozens of smaller locally owned shops in the town of Clonmel and in other small towns around the area. The jobs of those people and the livelihood of the shop owners go with that too, while the profits of the companies goes out of the country ( never mind the locality ).

Clonmel borough council needs to incentivise rather than penalise the towns shops ( and shoppers ) to get more shops to open. More shops will draw in more folks to shop here and slowly but surely we will rebuild the town.

do you think that the money being spent in the high street chains comes from nowhere ?
    No it doesn't, the money being spent in them comes directly from the dozens of smaller locally owned shops in the town of Clonmel and in other small towns around the area. The jobs of those people and the livelihood of the shop owners go with that too, while the profits of the companies goes out of the country ( never mind the locality ).

Clonmel borough council needs to incentivise rather than penalise the towns shops ( and shoppers ) to get more shops to open. More shops will draw in more folks to shop here and slowly but surely we will rebuild the town.

But you are ignoring the fact that people want the big brand high street shops like M&S, TK Maxx etc and the people they employ come from the local area so it is not as if every cent somehow gets shipped over to the evil Saxon hoards looking to steal all our money. In this age of Internet shopping and easy travel to other towns if you shut down the high street brands and replaced them with local shops run by Mick and Mary from down the road people would just shop online or go to the next town/city.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bobster453

One of the biggest disincentives to shoppers in the town centre is not lack of parking~lots of carparks-but rather the exhorbitant rates charged for parking.The policy seems to be charge the same for less time the closer you park to the town centre.Take xmas for example..a lot of provincial towns/cities within striking distance of clonmel had FREE parking sats and suns in the lead up to it.
    what a good idea having the foresight to accept that at the busiest time of the year for retailers incentivising people to shop in the town centre would pay dividends at a later stage by taking the pain of losing out on parking revenue for a short while in order to get a long term gain from keeping businesses open and creating a proactive perception of the town by letting people know that yes our town is open for business.Certainly every little bit helps nowadays..the powers that be in Clonmel really need to adopt this type of proactive approach

One of the biggest disincentives to shoppers in the town centre is not lack of parking~lots of carparks-but rather the exhorbitant rates charged for parking.The policy seems to be charge the same for less time the closer you park to the town centre.Take xmas for example..a lot of provincial towns/cities within striking distance of clonmel had FREE parking sats and suns in the lead up to it.
    what a good idea having the foresight to accept that at the busiest time of the year for retailers incentivising people to shop in the town centre would pay dividends at a later stage by taking the pain of losing out on parking revenue for a short while in order to get a long term gain from keeping businesses open and creating a proactive perception of the town by letting people know that yes our town is open for business.Certainly every little bit helps nowadays..the powers that be in Clonmel really need to adopt this type of proactive approach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It costs the same to park in Irishtown as it does in O'Connell Street.

Did you shop in town in the runup to Christmas ? Cos there was free parking on every Saturday in December. There is no charge on a Sunday.

Vizzy wrote: »
    It costs the same to park in Irishtown as it does in O'Connell Street.

Did you shop in town in the runup to Christmas ? Cos there was free parking on every Saturday in December. There is no charge on a Sunday.

Same charge to park but for less time.Alao there was only free parking in car parks.What i am posting is that a lot of other towns had free parking EVERYWHERE!!!
    Bit of a difference imo

Same charge to park but for less time.Alao there was only free parking in car parks.What i am posting is that a lot of other towns had free parking EVERYWHERE!!!
    Bit of a difference imo

Oh and not just free on saturdays and sundays either

Bit of a difference imo

Oh and not just free on saturdays and sundays either

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Does anyone have any ideas of something fun to do in the area with a 4 year old? We were going to go swimming but the Clonmel pool timetable is pretty restrictive for kids today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Playground on Waterford Rd opposite the graveyard.

Out to Marlfield to look at the ducks

• Advertisement

Meathlass wrote: »
    Playground on Waterford Rd opposite the graveyard.

Out to Marlfield to look at the ducks

Or, if you head out from Marlfield towards Knocklofty, there is a woodland walk on the left. There are 3 different distances and they are signposted. If you are energetic enough to take the longer one, it goes down by the river and there are fallen trees that kids love climbing on, or through!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭solerina

Bit of a difference imo
    It costs 1 euro per hour to park on the streets..any street, and 1.20 per hour to park in car parks...I don't think it changes depending on proximity to the town centre !!

I saw some work being done on Careys bar in Irishtown..I thought they might be extending,but I heard today ,its going to be a bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Yep Bar1 racing opening up there....confirmed from Michael Carey earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 GerJaxon

people are entitled to shop in the high street chains if they wish. And it is nonsense to say the "money being spent in them comes directly from the dozens of smaller locally owned shops in the town of Clonmel " I shop there and have no connection to any smaller locally owned shop. If the high street chains were not there i would go to the city instead of to clonmel. and you can go into a high street chain and browse without being hounded to buy the minute you walk in the door as in some town centre places

GerJaxon wrote: »
    I shop there and have no connection to any smaller locally owned shop.
    money spent in high street shops is money not spent in local shops was my point, thats a dozen shops owned by locals staffed by locals ( Jobs ) - one high street shop might employ a few folks but not a patch on the number who would be employed by the numerous local shops the high street shops destroy.

money spent in high street shops is money not spent in local shops was my point, thats a dozen shops owned by locals staffed by locals ( Jobs ) - one high street shop might employ a few folks but not a patch on the number who would be employed by the numerous local shops the high street shops destroy.
    and my point is people are entitled to shop where they please. you seem to want to take that choice. How many local shops employ as many as marks and spencer? i would shop there but not in old style places where one is hounded to buy as soon as they walk in. You want rid of the high street choice so people are forced to deal with that

GerJaxon wrote: »
    and my point is people are entitled to shop where they please. you seem to want to take that choice. How many local shops employ as many as marks and spencer? i would shop there but not in old style places where one is hounded to buy as soon as they walk in. You want rid of the high street choice so people are forced to deal with that

I'm not trying to force you to do anything, I am trying to point out that the opening of one of those stores causes the loss of every bit as many local jobs as they create and with multinationals the profit ultimately leaves the locality.
    Secondly, do you honestly think Next or M&S offer you real choice over the really varied offerings of the 6 or 7 Mom & Pop stores that an M&S or Next will have caused to close in a location ?

When the dundrum shopping centre opened 10 years ago folks thought it was the best thing ever. It has since decimated the mid east coast of any locally owned shops and lots of folks I know dont go there to actually buy anything anymore as it is an exact replica of Grafton st, Ilac centre, Blanchardstown, Liffey valley and probably any other shopping centre you can think of.
    Choice ? give me a break.

This all happened in the UK 10 years ago, they regret it now and have an active campaign to try "Win back the high street". Its a pity we learn nothing in this country until it happens to us.

I'm not trying to force you to do anything, I am trying to point out that the opening of one of those stores causes the loss of every bit as many local jobs as they create and with multinationals the profit ultimately leaves the locality.
    Secondly, do you honestly think Next or M&S offer you real choice over the really varied offerings of the 6 or 7 Mom & Pop stores that an M&S or Next will have caused to close in a location ?

When the dundrum shopping centre opened 10 years ago folks thought it was the best thing ever. It has since decimated the mid east coast of any locally owned shops and lots of folks I know dont go there to actually buy anything anymore as it is an exact replica of Grafton st, Ilac centre, Blanchardstown, Liffey valley and probably any other shopping centre you can think of.
    Choice ? give me a break.

This all happened in the UK 10 years ago, they regret it now and have an active campaign to try "Win back the high street". Its a pity we learn nothing in this country until it happens to us.
    it also creates jobs.M&S creates jobs. And you can browse instead of being hassled to buy the minute you walk in the door.

dundrum and the UK are not what i am talking about. And lots of folks do go to Dundrum. I shop M&S when in Clonmel and would go elsewhere if they were not available. I also would not pay to park in town centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

Hi All,anyone know a tiler in Clonmel just for a small bathroom very small job,any numbers would be great,thanks a mil

Advertisement