Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

wonga77 wrote: »
    Don't you get that at all the big club games though? people who havent a fooking notion who turn up for the day and get completely carried away with themselves. They wont be seen again untill the final or the next big games, they certainly wont be there for an ole county league game in the rain yet consider themselves experts.
    Every club has them
    Jesus yeah, i'm not saying its unusual at all. There was also a load of Rockies who were up for the day to get pissed, and had no notion about the match either :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well done to Brosna and Ardfert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Have to agree about the comments made about some of the ref's decisions yesterday. Could've seen a few Slaughtneil players black/red carded but you can only play to the refs decisions! Fair play to both teams it was a great game to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

9bred4 wrote: »
    Have to agree about the comments made about some of the ref's decisions yesterday. Could've seen a few Slaughtneil players black/red carded but you can only play to the refs decisions! Fair play to both teams it was a great game to watch!

The black card situation is a farce really .. there were multiple instances yesterday where it should have been applied.

What is the point of it if application is at the whim of a referee

JFlah wrote: »
    The black card situation is a farce really .. there were multiple instances yesterday where it should have been applied.

What is the point of it if application is at the whim of a referee

I don't agree with the black card anyway, you're miles better getting a yellow and ever since it's introduction yellow cards are a lot more frequent I find for smaller fouls that don't even warrant a foul in the first place!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I don't agree with the black card anyway, you're miles better getting a yellow and ever since it's introduction yellow cards are a lot more frequent I find for smaller fouls that don't even warrant a foul in the first place!!
    Generally most yellows issued are more than warranted from what I see.
    Player is often on a tick or the incident in isolation warrants a yellow.
    Black card is having zero effect on discipline. Can do three separate black card incidents and not lose a player. Given that some of them have high potential to injure players:
    - rugby tackle or pull down
    - Trips
    - Body checks
    All of those three types of foul have a high potential to seriously injure.

I agree with it in principle if it is enforced but as it stands it's a complete waste of time.. has had no bearing on discipline or cynicism whatsoever.

Generally most yellows issued are more than warranted from what I see.
    Player is often on a tick or the incident in isolation warrants a yellow.
    Black card is having zero effect on discipline. Can do three separate black card incidents and not lose a player. Given that some of them have high potential to injure players:
    - rugby tackle or pull down
    - Trips
    - Body checks
    All of those three types of foul have a high potential to seriously injure.

I'm more of an advocate toward a more physical game but it a non dirty way but I have to say pulling a player down rarely injures as far as I have seen personally and that is purely tactical. The other two are rightfully so black cards but pulling down should be a yellow as it falls under bad tackle. There is a difference between a rugby tackle and pulling down mind! Depending on who does it!

I'm more of an advocate toward a more physical game but it a non dirty way but I have to say pulling a player down rarely injures as far as I have seen personally and that is purely tactical. The other two are rightfully so black cards but pulling down should be a yellow as it falls under bad tackle. There is a difference between a rugby tackle and pulling down mind! Depending on who does it!
    The problem is that makes a referees job very difficult to rule differently on rugby tackle versus pull down. The whole point of the rule was to stop people simply pulling to the ground a player through on goal for a score.
    The game is plenty physical and in fact I would say too physical.
    We can't have everything. If we want a physical game then we have to be resigned to the fact that the players will keep evolving to resemble a rugby player type build. I doubt many people want that, but that is the way the game is headed with the current application of rules around deliberate contact/steps/yellow n black cards.

The problem is that makes a referees job very difficult to rule differently on rugby tackle versus pull down. The whole point of the rule was to stop people simply pulling to the ground a player through on goal for a score.
    The game is plenty physical and in fact I would say too physical.
    We can't have everything. If we want a physical game then we have to be resigned to the fact that the players will keep evolving to resemble a rugby player type build. I doubt many people want that, but that is the way the game is headed with the current application of rules around deliberate contact/steps/yellow n black cards.

If a rugby sized wing forward can keep up with a mo farah styled wing back all the power to them!!

• Advertisement

If a rugby sized wing forward can keep up with a mo farah styled wing back all the power to them!!
    There is no one in the game built like Mo Farah. But each year more and more lads 6'2"+ and well built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Donaghy shoulder on the Slaughtneil player.One of the hardest hits I've ever seen.
    It broke his collarbone I read today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

lukin wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Donaghy shoulder on the Slaughtneil player.One of the hardest hits I've ever seen.
    It broke his collarbone I read today.

Yeah poor lad was carrying himself off after the game holding it.

Vicious hit but fair. Could have been a defining moment in the game, to win the free and put it over the bar. They may have gone on to win it. Feel sorry for Carroll to miss the free but such is life, he'll come back better.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Yeah poor lad was carrying himself off after the game holding it.

Vicious hit but fair. Could have been a defining moment in the game, to win the free and put it over the bar. They may have gone on to win it. Feel sorry for Carroll to miss the free but such is life, he'll come back better.

Carroll had a bad last 5 mins. Missed the free, lost possession once or twice and gave away a free near their own 21 which could have all but sealed it! As a player you know he will only remember that free which is unfortunate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Great to see Brosna and Ardfert successful. Kerry clubs have had great success in these competitions.

Didn't see all of the game but thought that Stacks faded in the last 10 mins and Slaughtneil found it easier to turn over posession and get those last few scores. Some of their scores from distance were superb

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ardfert's night in Croke Park ended on a sour note at the after match meal, the players not allowed to bring their kids in with them for the meal so the team walked out,

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=232211

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

Ardfert's night in Croke Park ended on a sour note at the after match meal, the players not allowed to bring their kids in with them for the meal so the team walked out,

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=232211

So where do Croke Park draw the line. ?

wackokid wrote: »
    So where do Croke Park draw the line. ?

Shame on Croke Park.

The great man is togging out again,

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=232334

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

He's training the Mary's and they have been struggling for numbers this year, even though its very early days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

The great man is togging out again,

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=232334

He kicked a point from outside the 45, class act in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

duchalla wrote: »
    He kicked a point from outside the 45, class act in fairness.
    Sure that's a tap over when you're playing in South Kerry!

Good win for the hurlers today away to Wicklow,2-20 to 1-6

Next game up at home to Westmeath who lost today to Derry,wide open Division this year.

The Ardfert lads should be back for that game

Maurice at 46 is really something to be seen. If you didn't know who he was you'd think he's late 20's by the way he is on the field. Coming from a Waterville man too who's played against him a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Folks - am thinking of coming home from Killarney, via Mallow and then on to the M8. I would normally come home via Limerick, but I want to avoid the Sunday evening bottlenecks in Rathkeale and Adare.

Would this be a good idea and if so, would the best route be from Mallow to Fermoy & onto the M8, or to continue on to Mitchelstown & pick up the M8 from there?

Is there much of difference between the two & is the Killarney to Mallow road decent enough?

Cheers.

Up The Dubs ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Folks - am thinking of coming home from Killarney, via Mallow and then on to the M8. I would normally come home via Limerick, but I want to avoid the Sunday evening bottlenecks in Rathkeale and Adare.

Would this be a good idea and if so, would the best route be from Mallow to Fermoy & onto the M8, or to continue on to Mitchelstown & pick up the M8 from there?

Is there much of difference between the two & is the Killarney to Mallow road decent enough?

Cheers.

Up The Dubs ! :D

Killarney to Mallow is decent enough, it takes the best part of an hour.
    Mallow to Mitchelstown is not as good but it seems to have been improved a bit over the past few years, but its only about 20 to 30 mins drive.

You are right to avoid the main Kerry Limerick road as you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Killarney to Mallow is decent enough, it takes the best part of an hour.
    Mallow to Mitchelstown is not as good but it seems to have been improved a bit over the past few years, but its only about 20 to 30 mins drive.

You are right to avoid the main Kerry Limerick road as you suggest.

What about going via Tralee and Listowel and on to Limerick by N69. No bottlenecks and Tralee bypass should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The worst bottle neck is in Adare imo. You'd still get stuck in that if you are heading to Limerick from the Tralee/Listowel direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

The worst bottle neck is in Adare imo. You'd still get stuck in that if you are heading to Limerick from the Tralee/Listowel direction.

No you don't. You take the coast road via Tarbert.

Think via Rathmore and Mallow may be a better option though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

No. N69 is coast road Listowel Tarbert Foynes Kildimo Clarina Mungret and on to M7. Not as busy as N21

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement