Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Aidric wrote: »
    Always better when Eoin is in the presenters chair but I think Mark Horgan is a very worthy stand in. He doesn't grate, has a good sense of humour and asks pertinent questions.
    Agree, Horgan is a more than adequate stand in, did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Don't want to start it again, because I'm over it (that's a lie, but anyway...) I've listened to Off The Ball a few times lately and it struck me that Horgan is a far better presenter than the actual anchors on OTB these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andrea1983

Ken's burn on Migsy in yesterday's podcast was fantastic tbf

"yeah nobody wants to hear that Miguel"

I miss the days when Ken used to wind up graham hunter tbf :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Don't want to start it again, because I'm over it (that's a lie, but anyway...)

It's a daily struggle for us all Donie. :(

Mark did a very good job in fairness. And I have to say, Murph does a good job hosting the Football Show as well to give him credit. I think he works way better as the host there than the third man when Eoin and Ken are in full flow.

andrea1983 wrote: »

That was hilarious, Miguel starts talking about the "benifits of networking" and instantly Ken shoots him down and ends the convo. Vintage Ken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

andrea1983 wrote: »

Migsy?? :D

Anyone know what the song on the bit they played after that interview is? It's the one with the "what the f*ck happened to me?" bit?

Sounds to me like Alabama Shakes?

The score they gave Foxcatcher - 7.5 Murphs out of 10 - made me laugh again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Anyone know what the song on the bit they played after that interview is? It's the one with the "what the f*ck happened to me?" bit?

Sounds to me like Alabama Shakes?

Yes - I Found You

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Murph's musings on how tightly fitting the Arsenal jersey is on Santi Cazorla was painful listening. Not funny, not even vaguely interesting, just shite. He's back on Football...sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That was a good interview with Anna Krien, her book sounds interesting even if the topic is a bit grim.

Her take on the Ched Evans case was good too.

Who was it that muttered the immortal words "Are you serious?"

:-D:-D:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭boccy23

That was a good interview with Anna Krien, her book sounds interesting even if the topic is a bit grim.

Her take on the Ched Evans case was good too.

The take on Ched Evans was one of the most constructive things anyone has said on this sorry chapter of crime relating to sports people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

The commentary from the Cantona Kung fu kick was brilliant today on the football show. Anyone have a link to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

The commentary from the Cantona Kung fu kick was brilliant today on the football show. Anyone have a link to it?

Jonathan Pearce was commentating for radio, it's the first clip here...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11360503/Eric-Cantonas-kung-fu-kick-How-the-media-reacted.html

Yeah it was great stuff, wouldn't be surprised if that gets made into one of those jingles ala the Keane "Stop it, stop it! Duff man can never die."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Haven't listened to todays podcasts yet, but we might see a more surly Ken if this tweet is anything to go by.

https://twitter.com/kenearlys/status/558709735365804032

Surly? Sure the first thing he says is a big rant about why yer man Goode's name isn't pronounced Good!

Couple of extra patches required before the next show, I reckon!

(What am I saying, angry Ken is the best. They should ban him from eating for eight hours before each show!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That was brilliant. "I care not one jot about his supreme talent'

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

That was brilliant. "I care not one jot about his supreme talent'

I'd never really looked into the incident before, I'd always assumed that Cantona was sent off because of the kick, not that he'd perpetrated the kick after being sent off.

So I was totally taken by surprise when in the middle of what I thought was a rather mundane reaction to something so momentous when he absolutely loses it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Catching up on a bit of a backlog (due to not being at work :pac:)....actually lol'd at my desk just now at Ken wittering on about the Ballon d'Or ceremony and describing the local musician they had on:
    "Utterly talentless,aspiring popstar...this guy is like a Swiss Mickey Joe Harte" :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Theres a Live, Live podcast, Live from the Sugar Club in Dublin on Monday February 23rd

You can apply for tickets here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains/sportsnight

Ken had a brilliant response to Baloteli saying the postman doesn't celebrate when he delivers the post, when he said 'if he was delivering a really important letter while 45,000 people are watching him and he manages to evade the dog and everyone cheers when he puts it the letter through the letterbox, maybe then he would celebrate'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Find myself skipping through a lot of these podcasts lately. Murph only has one trick in his bag these days - interjecting into every conversation to do an impression of the subject of the conversation saying something unlikely in a verbose manner.

He's fine when he talks about sports, he is becoming less and less funny over time however, which unfortunately seems to be coinciding with him being used solely for comic relief more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

keane2097 wrote: »
    Murph only has one trick in his bag these days - interjecting into every conversation to do an impression of the subject of the conversation saying something unlikely in a verbose manner.

In much the same way as Parkinson on OTB, Murph is strong on GAA and he should cap it at that. I'm quite sure he contributes a lot off air when putting the output together but when it comes to on air segments outside GAA he usually interjects in an effort to be funny rather than driving the conversation. Stick to your strengths and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In much the same way as Parkinson on OTB, Murph is strong on GAA and he should cap it at that. I'm quite sure he contributes a lot off air when putting the output together but when it comes to on air segments outside GAA he usually interjects in an effort to be funny rather than driving the conversation. Stick to your strengths and all that.

That's actually a bit hard on him even. He has an interesting perspective even on sports that he's not a true "expert" in when he chooses to dispense with the increasingly tedious comedy routine.

The football show is undeniably considerably worse since he joined it lately, and it's not like he doesn't know enough about soccer to contribute.

Skid X wrote: »
    Theres a Live, Live podcast, Live from the Sugar Club in Dublin on Monday February 23rd

You can apply for tickets here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains/sportsnight

Live, eh? So can I listen to it live?

Ah, I'll listen to today's one; I'm sure they'll say it on that.

Brilliant, heard an ad for a live OTB earlier, made me miss the proper lads doing live radio. Booo! Also, yaaaaay.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Live, eh? So can I listen to it live?

Ah, I'll listen to today's one; I'm sure they'll say it on that.

Brilliant, heard an ad for a live OTB earlier, made me miss the proper lads doing live radio. Booo! Also, yaaaaay.

Is the live show going to be a podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Is the live show going to be a podcast?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭boccy23

Christ, Ken's report on sport on the Football podcast today was long! 40mins and a fair amount of it was nonsense.
    Finding the Football one harder and harder to listen to what with Ken's never ending rants and Murph's ludicrous input as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement