Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

+1

for comparison, in Germany on a good day with a deal you'd be looking at 60 x 500ml bottles (of cheap but drinkable beer) for €15.
    i.e. 3 crates of 20 bottles @€;5 per crate.
    Normally you would pay €6 to €8 per crate for cheap beer, but thats still 40+ proper size 500ml bottles of 5% beer for your €15

and in Ireland, 15 x 330ml bottles of 4% schlop for €15 is considered really really really cheap?

Is there figures to compare like with like?

you can get 20 bottles of heineken for €20 quid. is that similar cheaper or expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

old_aussie wrote: »
    Bye bye hotels.:)

That raises a good question, what are the tourist industry doing about this. I mean they can't possibly be happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Last straw from me, not a hope they will be getting my vote. Funny thing is tho, no other party will touch this as they will be told they are not a responsible party by backing lower prices. Honestly, how can we keep this up under these party's, If its not the price of leisure its the cost of just living. Every time I got to the electric meter its showing zero. This country is a constant battle to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭Nollog

anncoates wrote: »
    Please say you're joking.

60 euro is around 10 cokes, and sure they live next door to the pub, so it's only a 5 euro +1 for the second passenger home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The pub trade is declining because society has changed.
    In the 40's 50's 60's 70's people went to the pub because it was well heated and it had television. These comforts were not available at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

enricoh wrote: »
    60 quid in supermarket is 15 bottles of miller, 2 bottles of plonk and a 2 bottles of vodka- crazy.
    €1 for a bottle is roughly the equivalent of paying €1.50 for a can.
    How is paying €1.50 for a can of beer crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

diomed wrote: »
    In the 40's 50's 60's 70's people went to the pub because it was well heated and it had television. These comforts were not available at home.

No no no! The pub model of the 40s and 50s is sound, rock solid I tell you. The problem is these bloody off licences selling gargle at rates massively in excess of our European neighbours, yes that must be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Question, how many schools in Ireland provide alcohol and drugs education to their pupils?

Abstinence or the ideal of pioneers is not the way forward and if the government actually wanted to be progressive, implement a strategy and promote a positive outcome to alcohol abuse, they'd start with such initatives, but they aren't interested.

Education about alcohol consumption and consumption in moderation is something that begins at home and the classroom, it should be offered from primary all the way up to secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

diomed wrote: »

Also People want to stay fitter and healthy get up early go for a run or cycle. There is more things to do these days than go to a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If Leo continues on this crusade then there is no way I'm voting for his Gay Marriage. If he wants to deny ordinary members of the public the pleasure of a few beers at home on a Friday night then I'll happily vote to deny him the right to marry another man. I couldn't care less if the two issues aren't linked, he is taking the piss now with his smarmy attitude.
    Please don't vote if you don't understand the purpose of a referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Take for example an average couple drinking within the Dept. of Health safe guidelines consuming 8 cans and 1 bottle of wine per week between them.

Currently by buying special offers and budget brands they can get away with paying €13 per week (ie. €1.00 per can and €5 for wine).

Using the top figures in today's Indo (ie. €2.20 per can and €8.80 for wine) they will end up with a weekly bill of €26.40.

Using the lower figures in today's Indo (ie. €1.80 per can and €7.20 for wine)
    they will end up with a weekly bill of €21.60.

That adds up to a range from €696.80 to €447.20 extra per annumn for enjoying a safe level of product in the comfort of their own home.

elperello wrote: »
    Take for example an average couple drinking within the Dept. of Health safe guidelines consuming 8 cans and 1 bottle of wine per week between them.

Currently by buying special offers and budget brands they can get away with paying €13 per week (ie. €1.00 per can and €5 for wine).

Using the top figures in today's Indo (ie. €2.20 per can and €8.80 for wine) they will end up with a weekly bill of €26.40.

Using the lower figures in today's Indo (ie. €1.80 per can and €7.20 for wine)
    they will end up with a weekly bill of €21.60.

That adds up to a range from €696.80 to €447.20 extra per annumn for enjoying a safe level of product in the comfort of their own home.

Send it to the papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭enricoh

/\/ollog wrote: »
    60 euro is around 10 cokes, and sure they live next door to the pub, so it's only a 5 euro +1 for the second passenger home.

4.30 a pint in my local in drogheda, beer 4.50 x 10 - 45, 8 quid taxi home. Why does everyone pick the dearest place in temple bar as the norm ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Guess you all have to go to Tadjikistan for a cheap pint.

Current beer offers in Holland.
    Mind you, that is real beer, not the watered down piss @4.2% you get here

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Pub trade has died because the boom and decline thought us some lessons.

1, During the boom we where being ripped off but had the money to take it.

2, During the downturn lots of people learned to stretch their cash, and if that meant staying in and have a beer that's what they done.

This is just another case of FG like them scumbags FF during the last boom looking after the pub owners. Its a sham nothing more nothing less. Nothing has changed over here, just a different bunch of gangsters in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

obriendj wrote: »
    Is there figures to compare like with like?

you can get 20 bottles of heineken for €20 quid. is that similar cheaper or expensive?

http://www.rayon-boissons.com/Distribution-et-magasins/Prospectus-Le-pack-d-Heineken-20-x-25-cl-a-5-93-euros-chez-Carrefour-29466

20x25cl bottles for Heineken under €6 in France

http://www.carritus.com/producto/15279374-amstel-cerveza-rubia-nacional

24X50cl cans of Amstel for less than €10 - the new price here will be roughly €60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

considering that it may well have been the discovery of alcohol (among other things) that made human civilization possible in the first place, and considering that basically all major decision-makers throughout history, until quite recently, were drunk most of the time and that history was basically made by drunks - which might explain a thing or two - i find it somewhat sad to witness how our age-old trusty friend alcohol is getting slammed these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

If Leo continues on this crusade then there is no way I'm voting for his Gay Marriage. If he wants to deny ordinary members of the public the pleasure of a few beers at home on a Friday night then I'll happily vote to deny him the right to marry another man. I couldn't care less if the two issues aren't linked, he is taking the piss now with his smarmy attitude.

This sums up what is wrong with this county, Alcohol is so important to this poster that he is prepared to deny thousands of others the right to marry and be happy.

The mind boggles, it is our attitude to alcohol that is wrong, not the price. Reeducation about alcohol is the only answer with a hope of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Pub trade has died because the boom and decline thought us some lessons.

1, During the boom we where being ripped off but had the money to take it.

2, During the downturn lots of people learned to stretch their cash, and if that meant staying in and have a beer that's what they done.

This is just another case of FG like them scumbags FF during the last boom looking after the pub owners. Its a sham nothing more nothing less. Nothing has changed over here, just a different bunch of gangsters in charge.

3. People were introduced to a far variety of beers with craft beers etc.

People are happy enough getting a few nice beers at home depending on where they live and what their local sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Hiking up the price of wine is proof that this is nothing more than a revenue raising exercise. The water changes aren't going to plan so this is obviously plan B. I don't think Anto and the lads are drinking a nice fruity Rioja or a cheeky Sauvignon blanc in a field!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The mind boggles, it is our attitude to alcohol that is wrong, not the price. Reeducation about alcohol is the only answer with a hope of success.
    Agreed, would you mind telling Leo this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

A previous Minister for Justice in this country, Michael Mc Dowell, tried to shake up the on license industry back in 2005 by introducing the concept of a "cafe Bar" type social venue, where you could have a beer and a pizza. The idea was that instead of a drinking only environment that is the quintessential Irish pub experience where getting drunk is the only core objective, you could have a few beers with a pizza and have a completely different type of social experience. Say what you want about Mc Dowell, I wouldn't be a fan personally but it wasn't a bad idea and would have opened up the market a lot and provided some much needed change to how we drink, it would have provided a new alternative.

The FF publican lobby erupted and threatened to bring the government down if it had to, to make sure Mc Dowell's plans never came into existence.

Fast forward 10 years and we now have a bunch of legislators who are openly drinking on the job in a workplace bar that gives them free credit, telling us they are going to increase the cost of a bottle of wine to 9 Euro or whatever, in the name of reducing consumption?!?

Close your Dail bar altogether and start leading by example and then maybe people will respect any decisions you want to make when it comes to telling the rest of us how to conduct ourselves when it comes to our drinking, because I personally don't know of one other single example in the whole country of a workplace where you can drink on the job on credit and that is considered normal, the only exception maybe being a brothel.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0415/62034-alcohol/

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Agreed, would you mind telling Leo this?

I'm afraid there is none so deaf as those who don't want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mikom wrote: »
    Ah, lad, come on now.

I'm beyond caring at this stage, this govt just keeps dipping our pockets for more and more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A sizeable percentage of our kids are over-weight for their age. Let's raise the price of junk food and decrease sugar content in products.In fact, make sport participation compulsory in schools instead of that career-defining/college neccessity cultural stable of Irish.

Never mind screwing over the sensible drinkers (which probably represent the majority of alcohol drinkers in the country) who enjoy having a few bottles at home over the weekend, and who perhaps due to other recent government sanctions, are forced to do so as they cannot afford a babysitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

The vast majority of people buying a few craft beers or a bottle of wine and drinking it at home at the weekend so they are not being ripped off pubs, are harming nobody, including themselves. This is just another attack on income by a government that is obsessed with micromanaging people's lives now via a whole spectrum of income zapping taxes, sneaky charges, levy's, etc.

While they are going at another round of price controls that attack your wallet, how about they step into the energy market and force Electric Ireland and others who are supplying electricity, to reduce the cost of electricity on the retail market, because these fúckers literally do a beeline to the energy regulator to have prices jacked up when the cost of oil goes up!

My point here being that isn't it funny how the only time this government of utter asshóles can act on price, is to put the price of something up and not down, and this is just another example of it, another vested interest group (this time the two vintners lobby groups) with their tentacles of influence deep in government, calling the tune and the taxpayer being exposed to more cost. I don't give a shít, I'll just boycott local pubs in my area as others have been doing for years now, and others I suggest should do the same. Will buy booze in NI when I'm up there, maybe will invest in a wine making kit that I'll buy online, I refuse to be shaken down for any more money by this government of absolute clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I await a maximum price ruling on fruit and veg gyms, soccer balls........

I'm beyond caring at this stage, this govt just keeps dipping our pockets for more and more

That is no reason to punish LGBT people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

The vast majority of people buying a few craft beers or a bottle of wine and drinking it at home at the weekend so they are not being ripped off pubs, are harming nobody, including themselves. This is just another attack on income by a government that is obsessed with micromanaging people's lives now via a whole spectrum of income zapping taxes, sneaky charges, levy's, etc.

While they are going at another round of price controls that attack your wallet, how about they step into the energy market and force Electric Ireland and others who are supplying electricity, to reduce the cost of electricity on the retail market, because these fúckers literally do a beeline to the energy regulator to have prices jacked up when the cost of oil goes up!

My point here being that isn't it funny how the only time this government of utter asshóles can act on price, is to put the price of something up and not down, and this is just another example of it, another vested interest group (this time the two vintners lobby groups) with their tentacles of influence deep in government, calling the tune and the taxpayer being exposed to more cost. I don't give a shít, I'll just boycott local pubs in my area as others have been doing for years now, and others I suggest should do the same. Will buy booze in NI when I'm up there, maybe will invest in a wine making kit that I'll buy online, I refuse to be shaken down for any more money by this government of absolute clowns.

I disagree with this move too but The vast majority of people buying a few craft beers or a bottle of wine won't see any change because of this. The vast majority of craft beers and wine are above the proposed limits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gonna have to start homebrewing my own beer now.

Honestly though if they are gonna have a set price in supermarkets and off-licences, then pubs should no longer be allowed to sell pints at €3 or less as this also encourages binge drinking.

Advertisement