Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

You are aware that this is an anonymous forum whereby everyone who posts "hides under a pseudo name" right ?? So excuse me if I don't "have the balls" to reveal what club I am from, but i prefer a more subtle posting technique!!
    God you must "great balls" coming on here talking up dungarvan, fair play to you!!

Have your pop at me but you are still avoiding the answers you supposedly have?? Again as i posted earlier you can't because everything i posted IS true. I can only presume you are from that neck of the woods and that i touched a nerve! Ah well,suck it in and get over it!

After you've gotten over Dungarvan, then get over yourself.

Feel free to talk about Dungarvan as appropriate, but there is no evidence to support the claim that they are untouchable and that it would take a catastrophe, as you put it, for them to not make the semis next year. Sure who gave Passage a chance?

All I know is if you reduce the number of teams from 8 to 12 by definition you've less teams capable of winning it, so a less competitive championship. I would wonder, as was pointed out, would Dungarvan be in favour of this circa 2008/2009 when they were still intermediate? I doubt it.

Where did i say Dungarvan are untouchable? When you take your Nire/fourmilewater goggles off you might get over yourself and tell me? All i have stated is i would expect them to make the semi final,i don't see that as being cocky i see it as being confident,there is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

archieknox wrote: »
    Realistically you're right. The league section will produce alot of shadow boxing by the big 4,the rest will scramble to make sure that they're not relegated firstly,and then hope to make a q/final maybe even a s/final and it will go down as a successful year for them. Reduce it to 10 teams and automatically the standard will rise as there's alot more at stake but this format was never going to be introduced,it would be like turkeys voting for Xmas! Tell me if i am wrong here but,barring a catastrophe the 4 semi finalists will be Ballygunner,Mt.Sion,DLS and Dungarvan. Barring that and the Mt Sion game we have nothing to fear from the other 3 games.
    Where did i say Dungarvan are untouchable? When you take your Nire/fourmilewater goggles off you might get over yourself and tell me? All i have stated is i would expect them to make the semi final,i don't see that as being cocky i see it as being confident,there is a difference.

Big 4, barring a catastrophe the 4 semi finalists will be your 'big four' (this me you telling you you are wrong by the way. It will take something far short of a catastrophe for any of them not to make the semis). Nothing to fear in the other three games (might as well give walkovers, yeah?)

It doesn't matter, you were being cocky. Read your post again.

Your attempt to drag everyone into a club rivalry spat is really boring and I'm not interested, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 sizing europe

Have your pop at me but you are still avoiding the answers you supposedly have?? Again as i posted earlier you can't because everything i posted IS true. I can only presume you are from that neck of the woods and that i touched a nerve! Ah well,suck it in and get over it!

Oh believe me Archie, I have plenty of answers but I have the cop on and intelligence not to post them on a public forum and keep club matters internal as they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

I simply express my opinions on here mountainlad i am not like other posters that hide behind pseudo names and not have the balls to come forward and not be ashamed of their clubs and speak favourably about them. Brickeyvalley gets slated on here but at least he has the guts to pin his colours to the mast. Cornerstoner is the same. What are ye all hiding for? I will live by my posts on here whether proven right or wrong. Sizing Europe has a pop at me for posting alleged lies but yet he hasn't come forward with the so called truth? He can't and that is the real truth! I know i am putting myself up there to be ridiculed if what i have predicted fails but so what?
    Can anyone predict 4 other teams that will win the championship in their opinion?
    ...................Sizing Europe i am still waiting but i would imagine if you hold off long enough it will be all solved and then you will have your say!! Come on the old boro!!

Wow I admire your bravery. I wish I could have the same balls to come out of 'hiding' and identify myself as being any one of 10,000 people.

To answer your question I would give FMW as much a chance as Dungarvan or Mount sion winning a championship. Its the concentration on both codes that has held them back in recent seasons imo. Also Passage won it last year are you saying it was a fluke? Abbeyside got to a co. semi last year and both Lismore and Ballyduff are capable of beating anyone on their day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Some lads getting awful tetchy in relation to a culling of a senior championship.. 6 is probably to short alright but 8 is more than enough.. If you were to go through them individually for say the next number of years then it will be the same teams being there or there abouts to win the championship.. For example Roanmore, Cappoquin Abbeyside, Tallow are senior clubs in name but aren't anyway competitive.. Harsh on Cappoquin as they are only up but here comes the contradiction ill think they'll stay up as there are not as bad as some other teams..

FMW I never believed in the theory that the football caught them. They were never good enough good core group to match anyone but awful weak links and consistently bet in quarters, semis and now I feel are on the way down..

If you had the four teams I mentioned in a group with top intermediates in Waterford from east and west playing consistently at their level how would standards not improve.. These teams learn nothing from playing Top sides over last few years as there are usually just drab affairs where the team you expect to win usually do in first gear.. The Senior Club championship in Waterford has been awful sh*te to watch for a long time now purely because teams are in wrong division which can be seen by how brutal we have been at Munster club level.. (this year being an exception)

Play each other once then top 4 into semis and bottom team relegated.. cut out all these quarter finals which waste time resources and 100 people or so that show up to these drab affairs.. Guarantee these games in may will all be in second gear bar the teams I mentioned above who need points 'to stay up' but will still end up being in the mix for relegation anyway.. there is usually one team each year trickles into a semi final or even a final take a hiding and then falls away the following years..

People love to say they are Senior but in reality they are Considered Senior b/Intermediate clubs elsewhere.. The four teams I've named wont be around a semi final or a final for a while in my opinion whereas they could be really competitive lower down regroup gain confidence and come back with a better mentality for senior level.. Also be a kick up the arse to some clubs with huge resources who are happy enough to plod along.

Ballygunner been in 8 of last 10 county final, DLS have been in 4/10 Sion 2/10 then you have passage winners and ballyduff winners back in 07.. Tallow took a hiding and a steady intermediate team since. Abbeyside haven't done anything since 08 and Lismore after losing to Ballygunner in 09 seemed to really deflate them..

If you were to look at it this year DLS will be very strong I believe along with Ballygunner.. Power is a huge addition to Dungarvan and they are really a coming side.. Passage will I feel come back to a better level than last year but probably a semi is the most they can hope for.. Sion will be there abouts but I think last year flattered them a little.. The rest who knows but it will be musical chairs really.. Tallow to go down..

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Some lads getting awful tetchy in relation to a culling of a senior championship.. 6 is probably to short alright but 8 is more than enough.. If you were to go through them individually for say the next number of years then it will be the same teams being there or there abouts to win the championship.. For example Roanmore, Cappoquin Abbeyside, Tallow are senior clubs in name but aren't anyway competitive.. Harsh on Cappoquin as they are only up but here comes the contradiction ill think they'll stay up as there are not as bad as some other teams..

FMW I never believed in the theory that the football caught them. They were never good enough good core group to match anyone but awful weak links and consistently bet in quarters, semis and now I feel are on the way down..

If you had the four teams I mentioned in a group with top intermediates in Waterford from east and west playing consistently at their level how would standards not improve.. These teams learn nothing from playing Top sides over last few years as there are usually just drab affairs where the team you expect to win usually do in first gear.. The Senior Club championship in Waterford has been awful sh*te to watch for a long time now purely because teams are in wrong division which can be seen by how brutal we have been at Munster club level.. (this year being an exception)

Play each other once then top 4 into semis and bottom team relegated.. cut out all these quarter finals which waste time resources and 100 people or so that show up to these drab affairs.. Guarantee these games in may will all be in second gear bar the teams I mentioned above who need points 'to stay up' but will still end up being in the mix for relegation anyway.. there is usually one team each year trickles into a semi final or even a final take a hiding and then falls away the following years..

People love to say they are Senior but in reality they are Considered Senior b/Intermediate clubs elsewhere.. The four teams I've named wont be around a semi final or a final for a while in my opinion whereas they could be really competitive lower down regroup gain confidence and come back with a better mentality for senior level.. Also be a kick up the arse to some clubs with huge resources who are happy enough to plod along.

Ballygunner been in 8 of last 10 county final, DLS have been in 4/10 Sion 2/10 then you have passage winners and ballyduff winners back in 07.. Tallow took a hiding and a steady intermediate team since. Abbeyside haven't done anything since 08 and Lismore after losing to Ballygunner in 09 seemed to really deflate them..

If you were to look at it this year DLS will be very strong I believe along with Ballygunner.. Power is a huge addition to Dungarvan and they are really a coming side.. Passage will I feel come back to a better level than last year but probably a semi is the most they can hope for.. Sion will be there abouts but I think last year flattered them a little.. The rest who knows but it will be musical chairs really.. Tallow to go down..

Well said Brad. And you can add Lismore fmw and Ballyduff Upper to your list of non runners. Yes, both Cappoquin and Lismore will draw a crowd because of the"local derby"aspect but realistically both of those plus Roanmore will be looking at each other and pin pointing those games as ones that can be won so as to stay up. Where is the progress in that? The same in the other group where fmw,tallow and ballyduff will be doing exactly the same.Yes one of those 3 will make 4th spot in each group and qualify for the Q/final but then they meet the winners of the opposing group and there's their year ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

Is there some magic sport out there where all the teams are competitive because I've never seen it

I'd much prefer all county at Intermediate level than changes to senior championship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

How are people ranking Dungarvan that far ahead of FMW or Abbeyside? They've gotten to one final where they were hammered, and one semi final I think (please correct me on that). Abbeyside and Dungarvan's head to heads are basically 50:50 - possibly even siding with Abbeyside? Also, Mt. Sion? They have only come on the scene again in the last 2 years. Ballygunner and De La Salle are generally the leading 2, although I'm not sure if De La Salle are quite that far ahead any more. Then there's the chasing pack of Dungarvan, Mt. Sion, Abbeyside and Passage - who have more unpredictable seasons but can be a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

How are people ranking Dungarvan that far ahead of FMW or Abbeyside? They've gotten to one final where they were hammered, and one semi final I think (please correct me on that). Abbeyside and Dungarvan's head to heads are basically 50:50 - possibly even siding with Abbeyside? Also, Mt. Sion? They have only come on the scene again in the last 2 years. Ballygunner and De La Salle are generally the leading 2, although I'm not sure if De La Salle are quite that far ahead any more. Then there's the chasing pack of Dungarvan, Mt. Sion, Abbeyside, Passage and FMW - who have more unpredictable seasons but can be a threat. And you still can't rule out Lismore - it seems to be politics more so than ability halting their progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

OEP wrote: »
    How are people ranking Dungarvan that far ahead of FMW or Abbeyside? They've gotten to one final where they were hammered, and one semi final I think (please correct me on that). Abbeyside and Dungarvan's head to heads are basically 50:50 - possibly even siding with Abbeyside? Also, Mt. Sion? They have only come on the scene again in the last 2 years. Ballygunner and De La Salle are generally the leading 2, although I'm not sure if De La Salle are quite that far ahead any more. Then there's the chasing pack of Dungarvan, Mt. Sion, Abbeyside, Passage and FMW - who have more unpredictable seasons but can be a threat. And you still can't rule out Lismore - it seems to be politics more so than ability halting their progress.
    Dungarvan have never beaten Abbeyside since they got promoted from senior. Archie has his seat picked out for the Co. final already, if Gavin Crotty got injured ye would struggle so much. Patrick Curran is class but the other 3 Currans are average at best. No full back, lack of ball winners...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

The Cork Senior Championship is Sarsfields and the Also-rans the last few years, teams like Killeagh, Bride Rovers, Courcey rovers had no chance of making an impact - along with a few more.

The Tipp County championship is even worse...

More Waterford clubs have a chance of winning the senior title than counties have of winning an All-Ireland every year..

the Senior championship in Waterford is normal enough with regards the realistic winners... a few teams that are capable of throwing up a few shocks, not sure what some of ye are expecting the championship to be, every team ultra competitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Just seen the groups for the east intermediate and Tramore are still in intermediate despite being relegated last year or at least I thought they were relegated. How did they manage to stay intermediate. A bit like Clashmore in the west.

Slobbery wrote: »
    The Cork Senior Championship is Sarsfields and the Also-rans the last few years, teams like Killeagh, Bride Rovers, Courcey rovers had no chance of making an impact - along with a few more.

The Tipp County championship is even worse...

More Waterford clubs have a chance of winning the senior title than counties have of winning an All-Ireland every year..

the Senior championship in Waterford is normal enough with regards the realistic winners... a few teams that are capable of throwing up a few shocks, not sure what some of ye are expecting the championship to be, every team ultra competitive?

Shur killeagh, courcey rovers and bride rovers are only 'senior b' at best they should all be dumped down to intermediate aswell out of harm's way. just like tallow cappoquin ronmore lismore and abbeyside.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Shur killeagh, courcey rovers and bride rovers are only 'senior b' at best they should all be dumped down to intermediate aswell out of harm's way. just like tallow cappoquin ronmore lismore and abbeyside.

Lol

Why do we have to wait for other counties to act before we can.. You can compare if you want but id prefer we worked on our own agenda which is to improve Waterford hurling rather have these god awful lopsided championships at the minute.. its just an opinion based on participating and watching on at a lot of games over the years where teams just hang in there just happy to have the name tag senior or intermediate depending on the strength of your club players..

Stupid comments above knocking an opinion really get us far.. Clubs I named are what I feel going forward are stagnant and hanging onto senior status whereas if they get this threat of losing their status more work will be done producing more players and better quality of players.. Isn't really the idea of club hurling to produce the best for the county.. Can't see how junior hurling in Waterford is producing much.. Modeligo tore the arse out of every team they played dishing out hidings in west and County final.. Intermediate in Waterford probably the only division which is somewhat competitive due to the large volume of teams in it.. Some are just not good enough for Inter should be down in Junior in my opinion..

Senior bar the first week (you'll get a few shocks as some of the big sides will be well undercooked) will be a forgone conclusion teams will trickle into a quarter not because they deserve purely on the basis they qualified 4th in a group which is a complete Joke..

Changes are probably a bit radical in gaa terms as a proposal probably takes 20 years from its inception to get approved.. Prof Niall Moyna recently discussed the issue of burnout recently on newstalk and one of his proposal was the grouping of weaker counties in football to compete with the big guns.. Stumbling Block, Slobbery you must have been throwing you clothes off.. Who needs change everything is grand here..

Why do we have to wait for other counties to act before we can.. You can compare if you want but id prefer we worked on our own agenda which is to improve Waterford hurling rather have these god awful lopsided championships at the minute.. its just an opinion based on participating and watching on at a lot of games over the years where teams just hang in there just happy to have the name tag senior or intermediate depending on the strength of your club players..

Stupid comments above knocking an opinion really get us far.. Clubs I named are what I feel going forward are stagnant and hanging onto senior status whereas if they get this threat of losing their status more work will be done producing more players and better quality of players.. Isn't really the idea of club hurling to produce the best for the county.. Can't see how junior hurling in Waterford is producing much.. Modeligo tore the arse out of every team they played dishing out hidings in west and County final.. Intermediate in Waterford probably the only division which is somewhat competitive due to the large volume of teams in it.. Some are just not good enough for Inter should be down in Junior in my opinion..

Senior bar the first week (you'll get a few shocks as some of the big sides will be well undercooked) will be a forgone conclusion teams will trickle into a quarter not
    because they deserve purely on the basis they qualified 4th in a group which is a complete Joke..

Changes are probably a bit radical in gaa terms as a proposal probably takes 20 years from its inception to get approved.. Prof Niall Moyna recently discussed the issue of burnout recently on newstalk and one of his proposal was the grouping of weaker counties in football to compete with the big guns.. Stumbling Block, Slobbery you must have been throwing you clothes off.. Who needs change everything is grand here..

I would be open to change in senior as long as the intermediate and junior championships are sorted out first. In fairness the western board have taken a big step in restoring the second string sides to the junior championship. It was a total joke they were removed in the first place and the result was 2 farsical junior championships. I think it was Old Parish put the motion forward first day because they kept losing western football finals to second string sides and felt it was unfair but suffice to say they never won it anyway even since the second string sides were banned from the junior championship proper.
    You say some of the senior teams need to go down intermediate but also say that there intermediate teams that should be junior. Sounds like robbing peter to pay paul in my opinion. There should be 2 all county intermediate championships. Premier Grade and standard intermediate grade. With 2 teams to be promoted and relegated between both grades to keep it fresh and competitive. A county the size of cork dosent need divisional championships at intermediate level so don't see how we are persisting with it

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I would be open to change in senior as long as the intermediate and junior championships are sorted out first. In fairness the western board have taken a big step in restoring the second string sides to the junior championship. It was a total joke they were removed in the first place and the result was 2 farsical junior championships. I think it was Old Parish put the motion forward first day because they kept losing western football finals to second string sides and felt it was unfair but suffice to say they never won it anyway even since the second string sides were banned from the junior championship proper.
    You say some of the senior teams need to go down intermediate but also say that there intermediate teams that should be junior. Sounds like robbing peter to pay paul in my opinion. There should be 2 all county intermediate championships. Premier Grade and standard intermediate grade. With 2 teams to be promoted and relegated between both grades to keep it fresh and competitive. A county the size of cork dosent need divisional championships at intermediate level so don't see how we are persisting with it
    In limerick it was changed last year to 12 team senior, premier intermediate of 8, intermediate of 8, with 2 up 2 down, worked well this year, there was an element of competitiveness about most games and teams got a few games in championship, the junior a is still a bit if a mess with a load of teams in the west and very few in the other divisions, makes a very lopsided championship, would like to see that go all county, or split into 2.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    In limerick it was changed last year to 12 team senior, premier intermediate of 8, intermediate of 8, with 2 up 2 down, worked well this year, there was an element of competitiveness about most games and teams got a few games in championship, the junior a is still a bit if a mess with a load of teams in the west and very few in the other divisions, makes a very lopsided championship, would like to see that go all county, or split into 2.

Was the intermediate divisional before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Was the intermediate divisional before that?

No the intermediate was always all county as far as I can remember, think they brought it in early 90's maybe, however there were 16 senior teams and 12 in the intermediate I think so they rebalanced it into 3 levels...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

Just seen the groups for the east intermediate and Tramore are still in intermediate despite being relegated last year or at least I thought they were relegated. How did they manage to stay intermediate. A bit like Clashmore in the west.

Could you post the intermediate group tables please ? Can't see tramore being any bit competitive this year with the amount of players they lost to other clubs IMO they will struggle to win a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Could you post the intermediate group tables please ? Can't see tramore being any bit competitive this year with the amount of players they lost to other clubs IMO they will struggle to win a game

East I.H.C.
    Group 1.
    St. Saviours, Mount Sion, Butlerstown, Portlaw, Clonea, Dunhill.

Group 2.
    Ballygunner, De La Salle, St. Mollerans, Ferrybank, Tramore, Erin's Own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bobbyobob

In both football and hurling.

Reduce senior teams to 8.

2 groups of 4, top 2 into semi finals, bottom 2 into relegation play offs.

Premier intermediate and standard intermediate.

Proper leagues i.e. div 1, 2 and 3 whereby you can be relegated/promoted regardless of championship status.

Both senior championships could start in June and be finished early October by the very latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

Well done to wit lads tonight some win away to Carlow it and down to fourteen for all of the second half against the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

I love the way you suggest that Tallow have been a steady intermediate team since we played County Final in 2011 yet we have qualified for the quarter finals every year since. Now some might say that that isn't anything to boast about but I disagree. We are not in a position to get players to transfer to us so continue with a fiercely committed bunch of players who do they best every year for THEIR CLUB but have constantly achieved enough points every year since to qualify. Not every one of your so-called better teams can say that. Someone else on this post suggested that the point of the senior championship is to provide players for the inter-county team. I have never heard so much ****e before in my life and I think that is a main reason why our club game is suffering. Club before county. The club is the heart and soul of the GAA. You may play inter-county for a few years but you play club since you start playing until you finish. The point of the Senior Championship is for every club to perform to the best of their ability and dream of challenging for the title. According to some people on this post if you can't win the county then you should be automatically demoted to intermediate. If that kind of thinking was assigned to the Premier League in soccer then you would just have a 4 (maybe even 2) team Premier League.
    I have no problem with you tipping Tallow to go down. That is your opinion and I have every faith in our team to once again prove people wrong as according to the media and pundits in Waterford we have been relegation candidates every year but have not been involved in relegation with the last 6/8 years.
    On that point I think the level of reporting on WLR and the local papers is very poor. I have lived in Cork for the last 10 years and the coverage that the championship in Cork gets from radio and papers like the Evening Echo is very informative and extremely detailed. I heard one so called expert on WLR last year talk about a 3rd round championship game between Tallow and Ballyduff and constantly mention players from both teams who had retired and had not played any game that year. I don't know everything about the city teams but isn't that the job of the media to find out these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I love the way you suggest that Tallow have been a steady intermediate team since we played County Final in 2011 yet we have qualified for the quarter finals every year since. Now some might say that that isn't anything to boast about but I disagree. We are not in a position to get players to transfer to us so continue with a fiercely committed bunch of players who do they best every year for THEIR CLUB but have constantly achieved enough points every year since to qualify. Not every one of your so-called better teams can say that. Someone else on this post suggested that the point of the senior championship is to provide players for the inter-county team. I have never heard so much ****e before in my life and I think that is a main reason why our club game is suffering. Club before county. The club is the heart and soul of the GAA. You may play inter-county for a few years but you play club since you start playing until you finish. The point of the Senior Championship is for every club to perform to the best of their ability and dream of challenging for the title. According to some people on this post if you can't win the county then you should be automatically demoted to intermediate. If that kind of thinking was assigned to the Premier League in soccer then you would just have a 4 (maybe even 2) team Premier League.
    I have no problem with you tipping Tallow to go down. That is your opinion and I have every faith in our team to once again prove people wrong as according to the media and pundits in Waterford we have been relegation candidates every year but have not been involved in relegation with the last 6/8 years.
    On that point I think the level of reporting on WLR and the local papers is very poor. I have lived in Cork for the last 10 years and the coverage that the championship in Cork gets from radio and papers like the Evening Echo is very informative and extremely detailed. I heard one so called expert on WLR last year talk about a 3rd round championship game between Tallow and Ballyduff and constantly mention players from both teams who had retired and had not played any game that year. I don't know everything about the city teams but isn't that the job of the media to find out these things.

Look in every league in every competitive team sport you will have teams written off its natural whether you may like it or not. What i would say to Tallow is to Use this to your benefit. I would put print outs of whatever negative comments written about the team you may have (not off boards though) up on the dressing room wall and instill a belief that ye will do better, an us against them attitude and be willing to prove everyone wrong set a realistic long term goal for the year (short term taken game by game), if you say Tallow reached the last 8 since 2011 try go 1 step further and aim for Semi final anything else after that is a bonus, i really wouldn't be vexed by what people say regarding your club unless it was true.. I'm from a city club and i find we get dogs abuse at times regarding transfers (we don't all go headhunting for players we believe in our juveniles who we invest heavily in) and yes there have been clubs chasing lads and it's crazy, wrong and something i certainly disagree with but until ye the smaller clubs get together and make a stand the county board wont act upon it.

Best of luck for the year ahead to Cois Brid and to Tallow #f*ckthebegrudgers

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

On that point I think the level of reporting on WLR and the local papers is very poor. I have lived in Cork for the last 10 years and the coverage that the championship in Cork gets from radio and papers like the Evening Echo is very informative and extremely detailed. I heard one so called expert on WLR last year talk about a 3rd round championship game between Tallow and Ballyduff and constantly mention players from both teams who had retired and had not played any game that year.

On that point about the media ballyduff played lismore 2 years ago and the local papers review of the game had brendan hannon (came on for 2 minutes at the end) and seamus hannon (injured and not playing) as best for ballyduff on the night, you would have to question if they even attend the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Compared with local radios in other counties, WLR's coverage of Gaelic games is pathetic. Kildare local radio has five-hour sports programmes on Saturdays and Sundays, covering multiple sports but with a strong focus on GAA. They have live match commentaries, reports from club games all over the place, and phone-in sessions to allow listeners express their reactions to the day's events. WLR's poor coverage of Gaelic games doesn't make business sense, given the level of interest in the games around the county. I presume it has something to do with WLR's origins in Waterford City, with little empathy for the rural part of the county and a preoccupation with English soccer.

Things are little better with the county's four local newspapers, and especially the two in Dungarvan. It would be great to have one decent newspaper covering city and county with independent professional sports journalists who are not afraid of offending anybody by telling it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

Having two groups is idiotic I have honestly never seen the point as clubs get less matches just so the county could have about 6 games to train for. But having both Senior Hurling and Football run simultaneously should work as the following:
    Senior Hurling:
    1) BallyGunner
    2) DLS
    3) Mount Sion
    4) Dungarvan
    5) Abbeyside
    6) Cappoquin
    7) Play off for this year
    8) Play off for this year

e.g: (does not reflect my value of teams just wrote the first six in my head and rest into the playoff)
    Lismore vs Ballyduff Uper winners vs Roanmore. Winners remain Senior hurling, losers go to intermediate.
    FMW vs Tallow winners vs Passage. Winners remain Senior hurling losers go to intermediate.

8 in senior hurling other four go to intermediate and make intermediate fare more competitive, which in turn will create a way stronger hurling league.

Top four Semi Finals, 1 V 4, 2 V 3.
    5 & 6 remain in Senior.
    7&8 relegated to intermediate. (The two teams who contest the county final gain promotion to senior hurling). Makes the league run far better.

Football Wise. Is a different story and a different story should be implemented due to more competitive teams. (Not my view on football being better just the general consents even on the board that they are only a few quality hurling teams).

Senior Football:

1) The Nire
    2) Stradbally
    3) Balinacourty
    4) An Rinn
    5) DLS
    6) St. Saviours
    7) Gaultier
    8) Brickey Rangers
    9) Kilrossanty V Ardmore
    10) Rathgormack V Clashmore

Losers go into Intermediate football and Winners remain in Senior football and having a strong competitive Senior Football competition where 8/10 teams think they have a realistic shot of getting to the semis.

Top Four Semis, 1V 4, 2 V3
    5&6 Remain in Senior
    Bottom Four relegation battle, 7 V 10, 8 V 9.
    Both losers are relegated from Senior and the county finalists of the Intermediate become Senior. (Also puts more on county semi-finals at intermediate as if you won it you’d be senior so it’s like the county final and then you have the actual county final).

I reckon Paddy Joe Ryan sets down and gives me sole control altogether, I’d have this implemented in five minutes and the mindless insults being thrown around on hear would stop.

Look in every league in every competitive team sport you will have teams written off its natural whether you may like it or not. What i would say to Tallow is to Use this to your benefit. I would put print outs of whatever negative comments written about the team you may have (not off boards though) up on the dressing room wall and instill a belief that ye will do better, an us against them attitude and be willing to prove everyone wrong set a realistic long term goal for the year (short term taken game by game), if you say Tallow reached the last 8 since 2011 try go 1 step further and aim for Semi final anything else after that is a bonus, i really wouldn't be vexed by what people say regarding your club unless it was true.. I'm from a city club and i find we get dogs abuse at times regarding transfers (we don't all go headhunting for players we believe in our juveniles who we invest heavily in) and yes there have been clubs chasing lads and it's crazy, wrong and something i certainly disagree with but until ye the smaller clubs get together and make a stand the county board wont act upon it.

Best of luck for the year ahead to Cois Brid and to Tallow #f*ckthebegrudgers

Thanks for the good wishes. As I said I have no problem with people tipping us our relegation. That's peoples opinions and they are entitled to them whether they are right or wrong. We know that we are good enough for Senior and hopefully will once again prove that this year. To use your phrase what vexes me is when people have a preconceived idea about a team or a club without looking at the facts. Everyone says that Ballyduff Upper can beat anyone on their day and by god they can. I would love for our team to have some of what Ballyduff have, but by the same token our lads have played Ballyduff in the last two years and have drawn one and won one. Yet no one gave us a chance in either game. I lived in the city for a few years during and after college and would never claim to know the ins and outs of all the city teams but I would never make generalised comments about any club in the city without checking out my facts first because I don't know enough about their club players or circumstances.
    Rant over. Here's to a competitive and sporting championship across all grades which will hopefully draw people back to watching club games in Waterford.

• Advertisement

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Compared with local radios in other counties, WLR's coverage of Gaelic games is pathetic. Kildare local radio has five-hour sports programmes on Saturdays and Sundays, covering multiple sports but with a strong focus on GAA. They have live match commentaries, reports from club games all over the place, and phone-in sessions to allow listeners express their reactions to the day's events. WLR's poor coverage of Gaelic games doesn't make business sense, given the level of interest in the games around the county. I presume it has something to do with WLR's origins in Waterford City, with little empathy for the rural part of the county and a preoccupation with English soccer.

Things are little better with the county's four local newspapers, and especially the two in Dungarvan. It would be great to have one decent newspaper covering city and county with independent professional sports journalists who are not afraid of offending anybody by telling it as it is.

When was the last time you ever saw an interview with a manager about an upcoming game in the papers. I know you might get the same auld drivel spouted out but at least it would raise the profile of teams in the county. I'd say I wouldn't know who half the managers of other teams in senior hurling are. And I definitely say teams wouldn't know ours. The same goes for WLR. They have a show called Gaelic Corner on every Friday night during the championship. From what I've heard this entails a 5 to 10 min round up of the games on that weekend where Brian Flannery or Stephen Frampton talk about 6 games. No offense to the 2 lads but to hear them talk about a game like Ardmore Vs Ballyduff is like someone talking about a movie they have never seen but heard about. On Cork local radio their GAA coverage involves full coverage of all the games no matter what grade with journalists who know about the teams and wait for this bit. They even interview managers of teams involved to find out about injuries etc. The County Board wonder why attendances are down. Well the should take a look at the promotion the games are getting in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement