Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

<SNIP> Please dont post newspaper scans or quote from other media, a link is usually fine. In this case though there is an ongoing case so we wont discuss it here.</Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

It's all grand, sure it happened in God's name.

Santa Claus for grownups.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wonder do Hailo screen for demented jealous spouses.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I wonder do Hailo screen for demented jealous spouses.

Here's a little known fact. The Gardai do not check criminal backgrounds outside of the state for PSV applicants. They only do a background based on the time within this country.

Madness if you ask me.

An applicant in this country must be 5 years conviction free before applying for a taxi plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just want to tell people about some issues we are having in my estate at the moment, There seems to be a gang of black teenagers hanging around at the pedestrian walkway between Huntstown Wood and Littlepace, we have had some issues before Christmas with this cowards stealing mobile phones /handbags from women who are walking alone. Since Christmas this seems to have increased, with muggins and also firing objects at passing cars. What I wanted to highlight is the absolute pathetic response of the local gardai. The community garda has been abysmal in responding to requests for help from our neighbourhood watch group. I was told that these kids are, I kid you not, "growing up and trying new things" and also that there may be "difficulty at home" causing this. Also they "feel hard done by because they can't afford the latest iPhone", so they go out and steal one instead. Meanwhile there seems to be a mugging incident every few days and nothing is being done. My fear is that residents will take matters in their own hands and if there is an incident the whole thing will boil over.

• Advertisement

Arciphel wrote: »
    My fear is that residents will take matters in their own hands and if there is an incident the whole thing will boil over.

If my partner / kids etc were under threat I know what Id be doing, but however, perhaps try the local Councillor members of the joint policing committee, they would see the local Superintendent fairly often, highlight the issue and the pathetic response. Also, if you know people who have been victims, make sure every incident is formally reported, the Guards hate statistics that stick out like a sore thumb....

Not guilty by reason of insanity. I'll add a link when one becomes available.

Also they "feel hard done by because they can't afford the latest iPhone", so they go out and steal one instead

The Garda community liason officer actually said that? You should have told him or her that perhaps they should find part time employment, mow lawns or wash cars and save up for the latest gadgets instead of robbing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

"a gang of black teenagers" Whats that got to do with what theyre doing. pure rascist comment.

"a gang of black teenagers" Whats that got to do with what theyre doing. pure rascist comment.

That's right, I'm a pure racist, shur the wife is always asking me where all the pillowcases are disappearing to!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Nothing racist about saying what colour skin someone has. It's a useful tool for identifying people.

They could be the same group who are robbing the delivery people of their takeaway orders (and not money).

The fact that someone is black, white green or blue is not racist, but just a statement of fact if indeed the group is black. If it was a group of red heads with leather jackets and dock martins, that's what you would describe to help others know what to look for.

Look, there is a group of black lads causing a lot of hassle up there between the divide of Cloneee and Hunstown and the guards are fully aware of it. I'm sure there are groups of white lads up to no good too, but this group is pushing the boat out in what they are up to.

Playing the race card when someone describes black lads has been a fairly major reason for people keeping their mouth shut for fear of ridicule by the P.R brigade.

Hopefully in time they'll realise that if they want to take out a girl or get somethings in life, they'll need to work to get a few bob in their back pocket. that applies to all young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

January wrote: »
    Nothing racist about saying what colour skin someone has. It's a useful tool for identifying people.

Ok hooked me a few boards fish. I totally agree with describing them as such. its only gonna get worse by the way. I reckon they should be thought a lesson....here comes a ban.....

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Did you really only come across that? Fair play, its two weeks old and after I mentioned Taxi screening. HHHMMM:cool:

As a case in note that fella is 30 years old and last offended prior to that incident when he was 22. I wish I was 22 again myself. :)

He is legally allowed apply for a PSV license as he is 8 years conviction free. He has actually done a lot of good work in recent years and had a tougher upbringing than most. He lost three brothers in the last 20 years.

On the point of using a work reference in court, well that's unfortunate.

PS: The 5 year conviction free background check is important for PSV applicants. Everyone deserves a chance and having kids changes people sometimes for the better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Is the Hailo app and background checks on it really relevant on this thread?

Gaspode wrote: »
    Only in the context of the driver in the article from yesterday. I think someone asked how he managed to be a driver. A lot of people wouldn't know the criteria.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Gaspode wrote: »

Very little in this thread is relevant to this thread.

Ok hooked me a few boards fish. I totally agree with describing them as such. its only gonna get worse by the way. I reckon they should be thought a lesson....here comes a ban.....

You: Garda, Ive had my car vandalised and I saw the culprit

Garda: Ok, can you give me a description?

You: Lad, about 17, 5'10, black cap, black jacket, grey trackies, white runners.

Garda: Ok, that describes about 500 lads in this here area, anything else to distinguish them at all?

You: No.

Garda: We'll be in touch........

The notion that someone has to bend themselves in knots like a Little Britain sketch or Ron Burgundy with tourettes to avoid describing someones race directly lest they be accused of racism is totally and utterly nonsensical and I weep for the world we live in if its true.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You: Garda, Ive had my car vandalised and I saw the culprit

Garda: Ok, can you give me a description?

You: Lad, about 17, 5'10, black cap, black jacket, grey trackies, white runners.

Garda: Ok, that describes about 500 lads in this here area, anything else to distinguish them at all?

You: No.

Garda: We'll be in touch........

The notion that someone has to bend themselves in knots like a Little Britain sketch or Ron Burgundy with tourettes to avoid describing someones race directly lest they be accused of racism is totally and utterly nonsensical and I weep for the world we live in if its true.

If you're actually trying to describe a person or group of people for a specific reason then by all means mention their skin colour. However the point of that post was apparently to highlight how poor the response from the Guards has been so there was no need to go into any description of the group really. Also, if you are going to describe them maybe give more than their skin colour because, much like your point above, just saying they're black identifies a rather large percentage of the local population.

• Advertisement

If you're actually trying to describe a person or group of people for a specific reason then by all means mention their skin colour. However the point of that post was apparently to highlight how poor the response from the Guards has been so there was no need to go into any description of the group really. Also, if you are going to describe them maybe give more than their skin colour because, much like your point above, just saying they're black identifies a rather large percentage of the local population.

The group of black lads between 17 and 20 who reside at 'The gap' of Huntstown and Clonee is a very specific group of lads. Infamous would be my way of describing them.

It is what it is.

About how many are in the gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Crap, was planning on moving into the area and would probably use the gap to get to and from the 39a. Always thought the gap was a bit dodgy, but didn't realise there was petty crime going on there now. Is this a constant thing every night, from about what time?

If the worse comes to the worst, can always further down Huntstown Wood and cut across the green to avoid the chokepoint :D

Its far from a constant thing, if you are male and are going past there before like 9-10 o'clock at night I would say you won't see any hassle. That's just based on my own experiences though.

Fair enough. I would generaly be coming home from work through that area anywhere around 7-9pm. I used to be a teenager in the area myself, and occasionally hung around the gap, so I'm not too worried.

Shocking to hear the poor Garda response though.

I wouldn't be worried be worried about passing through the gap, it's simply a case of the gap being used as a general area where lads find convenience. I don't think anyone is saying its a ghetto area used for loitering.

Apparently some stuff happened in Allendale estate last night. Some kind of grey van driving around, people trying car and house doors.

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Apparently some stuff happened in Allendale estate last night. Some kind of grey van driving around, people trying car and house doors.

Any time period on that?

Any time period on that?

Afraid not, someone in my family is part of a FB group for residents and mentioned it to me in passing, don't have more details than it just happened after midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Did you really only come across that? Fair play, its two weeks old and after I mentioned Taxi screening. HHHMMM:cool:

As a case in note that fella is 30 years old and last offended prior to that incident when he was 22. I wish I was 22 again myself. :)

He is legally allowed apply for a PSV license as he is 8 years conviction free. He has actually done a lot of good work in recent years and had a tougher upbringing than most. He lost three brothers in the last 20 years.

On the point of using a work reference in court, well that's unfortunate.

PS: The 5 year conviction free background check is important for PSV applicants. Everyone deserves a chance and having kids changes people sometimes for the better.

Very poor judgment from Councillor McGuinness.

The guy was convicted on drug offences in 2007, caught in possession again in 2014, working with youths in the interim, not good at all.

Advertisement