Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Poorsaint

I went to college for the first time in September, dropped out in October. Honestly have no plans to still be around to go back next September.

Some people end up in College because it's the expected/norm around where they live. They choose courses based on their "points" that really, either they are no more interested in or the cousre title sound great. Not everyone is suited for college and in many instances, the college opportunity comes at too young an age. In short, at eighteen or nineteen a lot of us don't know what we want, and yet we end up in college through parental or peer pressure. What about a trade? What about a PLC course that will introduce you to something that you WANT to do. Either way, you will find your own level and if you want to get on in life and you work hard, you will. Believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Poorsaint

Wilberto wrote: »
    I feel your pain. I'm being dragged along to my brother's wife's aunt's New Year's Party, mainly because I'm the driver. To say I'm not really looking forward to it would be an understatement.

How well do you know your sister in laws aunt? Probably not too well and if this is the case tell them you are not interested in going. Offer to drop them to the party (if it suits you) but you wont be around to drop them home. Do what you want to do on NYE and you'll feel much better on the 1st of Jan 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I've just turned 31.
    Fcuking hell, where has the time gone.

Would have hoped to have accomplished a lot more by now but sure cest la vie !!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Poorsaint wrote: »
    How well do you know your sister in laws aunt? Probably not too well and if this is the case tell them you are not interested in going. Offer to drop them to the party (if it suits you) but you wont be around to drop them home. Do what you want to do on NYE and you'll feel much better on the 1st of Jan 2015.

Ah no, I'll stay there. I know if I didn't, and decided to come home then the parents would just decide not to go either!

They're nice people (even if her aunt can be a bit loud (:pac: :D)) as is my sister-in-law's entire family, so it's not like I'm going absolutely hate it over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Alcohol has saved my life in numerous occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wilberto wrote: »
    Ah no, I'll stay there. I know if I didn't, and decided to come home then the parents would just decide not to go either!

They're nice people (even if her aunt can be a bit loud (:pac: :D)) as is my sister-in-law's entire family, so it's not like I'm going absolutely hate it over there.

With me, it's usually the anticipation (read; dread) of an upcoming event. Even though i know i'm going to something where i will know the people and logically there's nothing to be worried about, i'll be a rattling bag of nerves and have often pulled out of attending things.. So in a really long winded way i guess what i'm saying is the fear holds me back moreso than the actual event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

With me, it's usually the anticipation (read; dread) of an upcoming event. Even though i know i'm going to something where i will know the people and logically there's nothing to be worried about, i'll be a rattling bag of nerves and have often pulled out of attending things.. So in a really long winded way i guess what i'm saying is the fear holds me back moreso than the actual event.

Well described there Grem. It was the rotten physical reactions (gagging, dry heaving etc) coupled with the anticipation and dread that caused me to become extremely reclusive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

anyone getting the post christmas blues

“Our worst misfortunes never happen, and most miseries lie in anticipation.” – Honore de Balzac

Roquentin wrote: »
    anyone getting the post christmas blues

Just a bit meh really. How are you Ro?

• Advertisement

Just a bit meh really. How are you Ro?

its kind of hitting me.....the high of christmas wears off

Roquentin wrote: »
    its kind of hitting me.....the high of christmas wears off

It can such a build up that it seems rather anti-climatic in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

not to forget moods wouldn't be moods if they didn't change. even at the best of times the lull can hit, it can be natural. hope it sorts itself out roq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

It can such a build up that it seems rather anti-climatic in the end.

Yah I felt kinda down st stephen's day. I was dreading the last couple of days. They went almost without a hitch. I had a bit of a moment yesterday when plans I had made with people were cancelled at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Well I've only cut out junk food completely for 24 hours now but already the tiny tiny effects are showing. It feels like instead of subconciously focusing on the next piece of crap to eat, life itself is the comfort :D Hard to explain I think, but when you get yourself into such a hole it's hard to see how potentially easy it may be to begin getting out of it. Not saying all anxiety issues are at all as simple at all, and I have yet to see if I can get myself to 100% or anywhere near, but the signs are good. I think in my experience I did just about everything wrong and contributed to a very needless few years of wasting my life.

I think when you go through stuff like this for any extended period of time, you eventually forget just how good it feels to simply be alive. Regardless of circumstances, just feeling ok is bloody good in itself! The anxiety overrides all this and is a brutal enemy, again I'm not pretending to know what real, seemingly unshiftable anxiety is like, but if I get through all this ok I'm going to make it my mission to help others come out the other side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Cork is the best place on the planet and should always be considered :p

Why would you go back to a PLC though? Just because it is a local course?

I have heard good things about Cork! Haha, I just know in myself that I'm not ready to move away again. I'm such a homebird and really hate meeting new people, although once I get to know them I'm generally comfortable enough.

Last year I lived with one of my best friends from home and six other people. I just couldn't handle it. I got to know one or two people in my course, but because I don't like going out drinking they kind of made other friends instead. I would get to lectures early and find a seat as isolated as possible, even hearing people chatting around me about their life would remind me of how little I fit in.

I think doing a PLC is better than doing nothing; I'm looking for a job at the moment and if that goes well I might not go the PLC route, but there isn't really any Level 7/8 courses in an hours journey of me that I would be interested in. I would love so much to do the course I started last year here, but theres no Arts courses offered here at all, closest place is Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Aeternum wrote: »
    I have heard good things about Cork! Haha, I just know in myself that I'm not ready to move away again. I'm such a homebird and really hate meeting new people, although once I get to know them I'm generally comfortable enough.

Last year I lived with one of my best friends from home and six other people. I just couldn't handle it. I got to know one or two people in my course, but because I don't like going out drinking they kind of made other friends instead. I would get to lectures early and find a seat as isolated as possible, even hearing people chatting around me about their life would remind me of how little I fit in.

I think doing a PLC is better than doing nothing; I'm looking for a job at the moment and if that goes well I might not go the PLC route, but there isn't really any Level 7/8 courses in an hours journey of me that I would be interested in. I would love so much to do the course I started last year here, but theres no Arts courses offered here at all, closest place is Galway.

You sound exactly like me. You know yourself that you are not able to move away at the moment. And that's fine. So make your decisions based on that. There is nothing wrong with a PLC course especially if it could help you get a job or related to an area you may want to study in the future. Also having a job could help you save for a degree you may want to pursue in the future. You also have plenty of time to decide what to do with your life. Focus on getting better for the moment :)

I don't even know anymore :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I hear ya.. Having a small crash at the minute.. Nerves shot.. I'll live though.. The less frazzled part of my head knows that..

• Advertisement

My head is completely frazzled...I can't think of what I want to do tomorrow...there's not even any pressure here just basic thing of setting foot out the door..I can't plan the most basic detail in my head help me :(

Have you anything that needs to be done tomorrow?.

Have you anything that needs to be done tomorrow?.

Not particuarly. I just can't believe my brain is crushed like this.

Ok strip it all back to basics.. Breathing first. Even youtube relaxation/meditation breathing. Be thankful you don't have to do anything in particular.. Rest and keep water and a little food in.. Your head has kept you going a long time now. Nothing to say that won't continue..

Garbage quote "the trick is to keep breathing"

Is that Garbage, as in the band? :D That has a fond memory for me actually, saw them once (not at a concert or anything, work experience on a TV show...sigh good times..anyway)

I think breathing could help a lot and I do forget, thanks. I'm so out of shape that even a few rounds up and down stairs I feel like I'm breathing in life itself..I just can rarely find the energy to keep it up (crazy as it sounds considering how bad I feel otherwise). Breathing is troublesome for me just sitting here though as I'm overweight and overeat :( It just feels so shallow and requires maximum concentration (concentration I don't have) But yes I'll try more..

How are you Gremlinertia

Yes the band.. Glad it's a somewhat good memory.. I tend to find concentrating on breathing can keep my concentration going.

I'm ok kind of.. Some confusion at me.. Have psych appointment soon.. Hoping that I'll get something from the whole thing this time around..

Yes the band.. Glad it's a somewhat good memory.. I tend to find concentrating on breathing can keep my concentration going.

I'm ok kind of.. Some confusion at me.. Have psych appointment soon.. Hoping that I'll get something from the whole thing this time around..

I did like a bit of Garbage btw..are they still going?

I hope you're ok..what are you looking to get out of it, specifically? Obviously don't have to say and apologies if you've said before and I've spoken to you, as I said my head is just mashed and remembering my own name is becoming an achievement (I still remember things when they're put in front of me on the whole, obviously in the case of the Garbage thing)

Heyo, could not get page to load for anything.. I'm hoping that this time I won't get handed from doc to doc and sent out with a fresh script after five minutes consult. I'm hoping I'll meet one doc who'll give me just a little time to say what I need to.. A little time and a doc who'll hear me..

Heyo, could not get page to load for anything.. I'm hoping that this time I won't get handed from doc to doc and sent out with a fresh script after five minutes consult. I'm hoping I'll meet one doc who'll give me just a little time to say what I need to.. A little time and a doc who'll hear me..

Same here. Is private an option for you at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Best of health and wellness to all for 2015.
    Whatever trials and tribulations it may bring.
    Feeling very sad and hurt my birthday passed yesterday, not one acknowledgement...
    I've decided to close my account.
    Spending too much time on social media in general.
    Goodluck. Take care
    Xx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement