Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attitude in the bus lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I don't hate cyclists. I just hate bad ones. And a cyclist who cycles down Herbert Place/Warrington Place (eg) on the road when there is a perfectly adequate, well built, well maintained segregated cycle path running along it is a BAD CYCLIST being intrinsically discourteous and obstructive to other road users.
    There's lots of reasons a cyclist might be on that road. They might have just turned off from one of the roads to the north or they might be planning on turning onto one. They might have taken a bike from the free bikes station and be keeping an eye out for a gap in the traffic to pull over to the other lane.

In general, you don't know the business of the person in front of you in traffic so you just follow the rules and wait your turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I can get people's frustrations where holding up a bus by a cyclist is perceived to be obstructive - sometimes it's for other reasons though, for example to cycle defensively when changing direction, or preventing a pinch point at a junction where the cyclist can be compromised.
    I think this is one of the main issues - there's a lack of thought or perspective as to why a cyclist is taking a certain position on the road, or using the road when there is a cycle lane. The default position is that the cyclist is acting the bollox.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

404 Error Page Not Found
    Sorry, spurious closing bracket, try: http://john-s-allen.com/research/berlin_1987/index.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

What does 'held up' mean in these discussions, anyway? Delayed, that is, your journey takes longer as the result of having to remain behind a bicycle, or is it really just the illusion of being held up, as you are going to be stopped in traffic only seconds later anyway?
    I ride in to Dublin on the N4 every morning, and many times I get hassled and bullied by bus drivers who would rather I was not riding in the bike/bus lane. They toot, they pass me out with inches to spare, but every time, and I do mean every time, I pass them again within a couple of Km's, and never see them again. So what is all the stress, anger, dangerous driving for? It cannot be the first time they've driven a bus into Dublin of a morning, so the traffic at Palmerston, Heuston, North Quays should not come as an unpleasant surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

mmmcake wrote: »
    All the time, and guess what? We can post about that here without fear of the mods infracting or banning the poster.
    Post anything negative about cyclist, well you know what happens.

But you don't do you ? From your posts you seem to have a pathological dislike for cyclists, if they are in front of you then it can only be because they are acting the dick, there can be no other legitimate reason for them to be there at that time and place other than they left the house with the intention of pissing you off.

Maybe you should start to look at it from a more positive frame of mind every time you see a cyclist think that is one less car on the road, if every cyclist gave up cycling and took their car out on the road it would hinder your progress far more than the couple of seconds you are stuck behind a cyclist currently.

• Advertisement

mmmcake wrote: »
    You admitted you held up a bus, that s being a dick is it not?

Actually I should have continued reading before I replied you just shared your wisdom and I was correct, by being a dick you actually mean using the road they are entitled to use.

To answer your question no it is not being a dick, being a dick is your thinking that you have some god given right to the road because you are using a motorized vehicle, you don't, it is a public road a cyclist is as entitled to be on it as a car, a bus, a truck or anyone else, buses get held up by all kinds of traffic including cars, taxis, trucks, other buses are they all being dicks as well or is their presence acceptable to you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Cycle in the cycle lane - problem solved.

Who knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    just for arguments sake if I want to turn left into Mount St Upper or Powers Court how would you suggest I do it by using the cycle lane only..

Mount St Upper: no problem, turn off the cycle path at the lights there.

Powers Court? Now why would ANYONE want to be turning into that kip? ;)

But just for you, I''ll recommend that the council flatten the cycle path kerb just opposite to facilitate your exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Dublin city is not suitable for cycling in. Buses should take priority and cyclists should NOT be cycling in them, it ain't safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Mount St Upper: no problem, turn off the cycle path at the lights there.

Powers Court? Now why would ANYONE want to be turning into that kip? ;)

But just for you, I''ll recommend that the council flatten the cycle path kerb just opposite to facilitate your exit.

thanks. But I think I will stay on the road. Its easier and completely legal.

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Who knew?

Try it yourself and then you will know the answer to your proposed solution ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ebbsy wrote: »
    Dublin city is not suitable for cycling in. Buses should take priority and cyclists should NOT be cycling in them, it ain't safe.

Dublin is practically perfect for cycling in!!

Fairly flat, moderate weather, compact and decent architecture - it's about as good city to cycle in as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Are you being sarcastic? This would actually be really helpful, and kerb dishing is often neglected in cycle-track design.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭ted1

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Sorry, you're complaining about drivers being in the Bus Lane when they shouldn't while admitting to doing the same thing. And you're also complaining about taxi and bus drivers ( who have every right to be in the bus Lane) honking you when again you're using the bus Lane when there's an off road cycle lane available?

The cycle lane on that stretch of road is a gutter and a hazard. I never use it because it's a death trap. There rules of the road allow cyclists to use bus lanes and don't force them to use cycle paths. The one on the N11 the op is talking about is also on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

well then I would suggest we remove taxis from them first as they cause far more delays to buses than cyclists.

And make about 1% of all trips, far less than cycling

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Who knew?

Obviously, because there are such brilliant cycle lanes available all over the place:rolleyes:

Jawgap wrote: »
    Dublin is practically perfect for cycling in!!

Fairly flat, moderate weather, compact and decent architecture - it's about as good city to cycle in as you can get.

Most cities that were designed around the horse and cart are perfect for cycling -- more or less the right gradients and turn radii. Cities designed around the car....less so! Central Dublin is perfect for cycling, in terms of street scale.

Oh yeah, btw - I agree with you - cyclists should definitely not be cycling in buses!!! It is definitely not safe :D

RayM wrote: »
    They should really ban cyclists from using bus lanes on the N11. If somebody isn't happy with the quality of the cycle lane provided, then they should be forced to take their chances on the actual road instead - block cars, rather than buses. Of course, that wouldn't be acceptable. Yet it's totally fine to block a vehicle carrying up to 90 passengers.

Also, there's no valid reason why taxis should be allowed in bus lanes either.

There not blocking busses, busses have Ample opportunity to over take them and can quickly make up any time that it took to overtake.

What's the point of cycle lanes if no one uses them?

They one that the Op is talking about us a hazard, it has not being maintained there's a drain with a dip at every house entry, these are hidden in the rain. The surface dressing has come off the road. Right by a bus stop there's a sink hole that you wouldn't brlieve till you saw it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

ted1 wrote: »
    They one that the Op is talking about us a hazard, it has not being maintained there's a drain with a dip at every house entry, these are hidden in the rain. The surface dressing has come off the road. Right by a bus stop there's a sink hole that you wouldn't brlieve till you saw it

It's a shocking excuse for a cycle lane. I don't use it when it's dry and I'd be afraid to use it when it's wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Is that your own opinion or do you have anything to back this up? Like a model elsewhere that follows this interesting approach.

How about banning vehicular traffic, especially private one person cars, and make the city more pedestrian and cycling friendly

Jawgap wrote: »
    .....and Kavanagh's

And joe moronney, I find his white bus the worst.

If we're compiling a list, can we add Dublin Coach? (Also, just to reiterate, Dublin Bus are generally very courteous.)

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying that, funnily enough I've never actually come across an on road contraflow cycle lane! The pedestrian area ones I was aware of though.

Blackrock village has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

cdebru wrote: »
    Everyone that drives should be made to cycle at least one day a year.

+1

and/or even have drivers walk on rural roads. Many's the time a driver has whizzed past me within inches when I'm on foot or bike. I often wish I could take them out of their nice comfortable metal box and whizz past them!!

In most cases, it's done out of thoughtlessness and ignorance - and by drivers of both sexes. The children might be peering out from their car seats whilst mummy or daddy nearly puts you in hospital and you wonder what they'd think if their little darlings were walking or cycling along this road.

Blackrock village has one.

Really? Where? The main street's two way, is it around at the one way street with the library?

There's a contraflow on Capel Street that everyone abuses. Cyclists going the wrong way, cars driving in it, cars parked, vans loading...

Also a contraflow on St Andrew street, but usually there's a few cars parked in it, so it's beyond useless.

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Really? Where? The main street's two way, is it around at the one way street with the library?

It's from the church to the coast road. It allows you to bypass the dual carriage way by going through the village
    They went ahead with this :
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/transportation/findit/cycling/newtownavenueblackrockcontraflowcycletrack/

• Advertisement

It's from the church to the coast road. It allows you to bypass the dual carriage way by going through the village

Ah yeah, that's the street I'm talking about, round the back of the church. I've cycled it a lot with the traffic flow, never noticed the contra flow!

Advertisement