Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst cycle facilities in Ireland

Options
  • 30-09-2009 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭

As an off-shoot of Documenting Dublin's Cycle Lanes, I thought it would be nice to have all the worst facilities in one thread.

Here are two classics, culled from Boards itself:
    91683.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

Can anyone do better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dcont need photo's - dont have any cycle facilities not even a bike rack in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I'd be particularly keen to see examples from the main inter-urban roads. They're not routes I cycle at all frequently- town boy 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That first one is the Drumartin Link road up to Sandyford, right? That is actually one of the best cycle lanes in Dublin in my opinion, I cycle it every day. That new junction could be better designed but to be honest with the traffic flow patterns it is not hard to navigate whether you want to go left or straight on.

The one up by the Beacon is far worse, they have put in bollards that cause the left turning lane to just sweep around at speed although the cycle track goes straight on.

th_Beacon_Hotel.jpg

Example overtake and immediate turn left:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

blorg wrote: »
    That first one is the Drumartin Link road up to Sandyford, right? That is actually one of the best cycle lanes in Dublin in my opinion, I cycle it every day. That new junction could be better designed but to be honest with the traffic flow patterns it is not hard to navigate whether you want to go left or straight on.

It is that one. Sorry, should have said where it was. The reason I included it is because the facility makes no sense. The local authorities have conceded that the cyclist is supposed to dismount and walk to the pedestrian island if they want to go straight on (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62253864&postcount=104).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

tomasrojo wrote: »
    As an off-shoot of Documenting Dublin's Cycle Lanes, I thought it would be nice to have all the worst facilities in one thread.

Here are two classics, culled from Boards itself:
    91683.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

Can anyone do better?

Yes, but I dont have a photo. Try cycling through Dalys Cross between Limerick and Birdhill.

Its a dirt and gravel path with potholes and a cycle sign above it.

• Advertisement

The Youtube footage makes your point on the Beacon junction very well.

It is that one. Sorry, should have said where it was. The reason I included it is because the facility makes no sense. The local authorities have conceded that the cyclist is supposed to dismount and walk to the pedestrian island if they want to go straight on (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62253864&postcount=104).
    Right, yes, it makes no sense all right if you comply with the letter of the law, I just cycle over the pedestrian island if I am going straight on and have never had any problems. It is a bad junction design certainly.

It is however a testament to how good that cycle track is in general that I am on it in the first place, it is relatively rare that a cycle track is good enough that I will actually use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

I take that same route by the Beacon going home every evening and its the one bit of my journey that I really hate :(

some cars are good and slow down and let you by, some cars are even parked on the lane waiting to turn left and they actually have reversed off the cycle path for me but most of the drivers barely even see you and just zoom around the corner making it fairly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

There is a similar situation across from Jury's/D4 Hotels heading towards the city from Ballsbridge. Cars move into the bus lane and shoot left up Pembroke Road, frequently cutting up cyclists:

http://tinyurl.com/ydxlegv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

There is a similar situation across from Jury's/D4 Hotels heading towards the city from Ballsbridge. Cars move into the bus lane and shoot left up Pembroke Road, frequently cutting up cyclists:

There's another dangerous aspect of that junction- when cycling from Lansdowne Road to Pembroke Road past the little kiosk, the cars using that slip road (the 'shoot left') often don't yield to cyclists. A speed hump was put in some time ago, which improved the situation, but not enough.

• Advertisement

I guess for that one you'd have to get out of the cycle lane and take a position somewhat in the main traffic lane to discourage them from cutting you up; make them aware of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If Google would hurry up with the Streetview (spotted near my house) this process of crap cycle lane identification would be a bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

I guess for that one you'd have to get out of the cycle lane and take a position somewhat in the main traffic lane to discourage them from cutting you up; make them aware of you.

Exactly: I move into the centre of the bus lane from a long distance away from the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

An overhead view is the best I can do as I'm not usually in the area but you can see where the cycle lane abruptly ends here in Kilmacud.

If you use it, the road itself is too narrow to merge onto safely so you would generally have to stop to wait for cars to pass before continuing on your way.

ullu wrote: »
    An overhead view is the best I can do as I'm not usually in the area but you can see where the cycle lane abruptly ends here in Kilmacud.

If you use it, the road itself is too narrow to merge onto safely so you would generally have to stop to wait for cars to pass before continuing on your way.
    That whole facility on the Upper Kilmacud road is rubbish. If you scroll a little further east, you can see how it passes on the inside of Stop lines of sideroads and exitways.

And then, as you say, it just ends for no apparent reason. I always use the road going that way. In fact, I tend to use the Lower Kilmacud road, since it doesn't have any cycle lanes on it.

Oh! Oh! The one running through Templeogue village is an absolute classic.

blorg wrote: »
    Oh! Oh! The one running through Templeogue village is an absolute classic.
    Do you have a picture illustrating its particular charms?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Any of those ones where the cycle lane disappears into a left hand turn, so you have to quickly get away from all the left turning traffic, cut across the lane and back into the cycle lane that has now moved across an entire lane. There are two examples of this in either direction near Waterloo road and Morehampton road.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Any of those ones where the cycle lane disappears into a left hand turn, so you have to quickly get away from all the left turning traffic, cut across the lane and back into the cycle lane that has now moved across an entire lane. There are two examples of this in either direction near Waterloo road and Morehampton road.
    I think that's the most common design flaw. The lanes should really not continue into the junction if they're going to place you on the left of left-turning traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Do you have a picture illustrating its particular charms?

IIRC the outbound lane runs along the footpad beside shops, a pub, possibly a bus stop.

Cue thirsty/sugar seeking/drunk peds lurching across your path, wondering why the f*ck you're cycling on the footpad in the first place.

Hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

I had the pleasure of cycling to Inchicore from Glasnevin recently and there's a cracker at the Luas and traffic crossover at St James's Hospital main entrance. No picture for now but the cycle lane curves toward the hospital for five metres, goes across the Luas tracks and then has a yield sign for cyclists to allow the car traffic you have just sat alongside at the lights, the right of way. Crackers!

I think the point of that lane is to allow you to cross the tracks at about 90 degrees. My worst spill happened when trying to keep to the main traffic lane there in the rain. I tried my hardest to cross the tracks at 90 degrees and instead the bike disappeared from under me (nothing to do with the wheel getting stuck in the tracks, but because of the extreme slipperiness of the tracks in the wet). Split the skin just under my knee open.

I heard a doctor from St. James's say on the radio that they treat quite a few cyclists for minor injuries suffered at the entrance. His solution? Not to redesign the entrance, but for all cyclists to wear helmets. But of course. My knee would have thanked me.

I now use Steeven's Lane/Kilmainham Lane, and avoid both that entrance and the bit of St. James's Road that runs up to it. On that stretch of road, keeping to the left of the tracks results in very close passes by motorists; going between the tracks means that you have to go at a fair speed to keep up with the motorists and then split your knee at the other end in the rain (ahem).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Bóthar na dTreabh in Galway as you go downhill to the Kirwan roundabout.

There are mysterious works on the cycle path for over a year now and I never see workmen there.

If people have photos of these facilities, it would be a great help in making their asininity manifest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Yes, must commit to that the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭morninwood

the reason for all them ridiculous cycle path layouts IMO is that some car driving council official who never used a bike in his life is in charge of designing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

The junction of Clonliffe and Drumcondra road is another of this, cycle lane ends up in the left turn only lane and drivers have a tendency to think you're turning left instead of going straigh ahead, caused a close call for me this morning. I'm just lucky I was expecting them to turn into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭markpb

The junction of Clonliffe and Drumcondra road is another of this, cycle lane ends up in the left turn only lane and drivers have a tendency to think you're turning left instead of going straigh ahead, caused a close call for me this morning. I'm just lucky I was expecting them to turn into me.

I complained to DCC QBN about that very junction. This was their reply:
    This arrangement is common practice, well established, and is widely used throughout the city. To say that it is very dangerous for cyclists who are going straight ahead, full-stop, is unreasonable! [...] I appreciate that you have identified a potential conflict point, and that possibly form your own experience, you may have had cause to have been frustrated on one or two occasions due to inconsiderate motorised road users turning left onto Clonliffe Road. However, the use of cycle track road markings at this location is, in all the circumstances, duly considered to be the best option. The indication above of the proposed placement of red-surfacing to the cycle track, will make this arrangement more beneficial for cyclists.

These condescending replies are quite infuriating.

None of these facilities meet best practices, unless DCC are deciding that what they do is, de facto, best practice.

Mandating that any road user that is trying to go straight ahead should place themselves to the left of left-turning traffic is mental, "full-stop", to use the parlance of our DCC friends. Would he try the same manoeuvre in a car placed to the left of left-turning HGVs?

• Advertisement

I just realised what junction you're talking about; it's going south on Drumcondra road, passing the face of Clonliffe Road?

I would never, never, place myself any further left than the centre of the leftmost traffic lane.

Advertisement