Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you vote in the gay marriage referendum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Aren't homosexuals notoriously promiscuous? Why do they even want marriage?

What, all of them? I know two homosexual couples (together 7 years and 12 years respectively) who would love to get married.

Homosexuals don't have a monopoly on promiscuity. Plenty of heterosexuals like having sex rather a lot too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

So are swingers but they can marry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Aren't homosexuals notoriously promiscuous?
    Some are, some aren't. Just like heterosexuals.
    Why do they even want marriage?
    Some do. Some don't. Just like heterosexuals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Shrap wrote: »
    They were being incredibly offensive. The last one about bringing up a child properly so he/she wouldn't be gay? Excuse me? I was horrified, as my youngest teen is possibly gay.

And as for that other wan.....you can't keep calling people inferior and their relationships inherently unstable and get away with it for ever. I reported them both, and I don't mind telling you.

Why do you think he's gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Why do you think he's gay?

Must have been the upbringing. I know how it feels. I turned out ginger and I still haven't forgiven my parents. If only they'd raised me better :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be honest, that's not really any different from saying black people notoriously love chicken and watermelon, e.g. it's just a negative stereotype (one that came to prominence during the AIDS epidemic, I believe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

I will definitely be voting yes. I believe black people should be able to vote and oppose segregation.

Woops. Wrong generation, let me get back in my time machine. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Sorry, but this kind of thing depresses me. What on earth do your personal beliefs have to do with whether or not two people get married?

gayness is nothing other than a "thought process" , just like "shy-ness" and schizophrenia.

The reasoning behind gay-ness can vary, as one reasoning behind gay-ness could be that your are getting turned down by the oppisite sex, you dont know why, and you find you get along better with your own sex more than the oppisite sex, so you instantly think to yourself, maybe your gay since you get along with your own sex better, another reasoning behind gay-ness is when you are a child and being taught vocabulary and such the words you choose
    to use to define a word can cause gay-ness, example, when some says the word "Girl" your brain instantly comes up with all these words to use to define the word "Girl", well if your gay, you may use other words to define the
    word "girl" which can cause a COMPLETELY different outlook n that term due to them using different words to define it. Now you take every word and have a slightly different definition to it and this can cause a completely
    different outlook on life and how you perceive it, thus causing gay-ness.

This is a very unique perspective. People have to keep an open mind. It's difficult when you've been "programmed" to think a certain way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be honest, that's not really any different from saying black people notoriously love chicken and watermelon, e.g. it's just a negative stereotype (one that came to prominence during the AIDS epidemic, I believe).

How is saying blacks loving fried chicken and watermelon a negative stereotype?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

The saddest thing about holding this referendum is that, because of laws concerning balance in political debates, all of our broadcasters are going to have to half-pretend to be bigots until next may.

• Advertisement

masti123 wrote: »
    gayness is nothing other than a "thought process" , just like "shy-ness" and schizophrenia.

The reasoning behind gay-ness can vary, as one reasoning behind gay-ness could be that your are getting turned down by the oppisite sex, you dont know why, and you find you get along better with your own sex more than the oppisite sex, so you instantly think to yourself, maybe your gay since you get along with your own sex better, another reasoning behind gay-ness is when you are a child and being taught vocabulary and such the words you choose
    to use to define a word can cause gay-ness, example, when some says the word "Girl" your brain instantly comes up with all these words to use to define the word "Girl", well if your gay, you may use other words to define the
    word "girl" which can cause a COMPLETELY different outlook n that term due to them using different words to define it. Now you take every word and have a slightly different definition to it and this can cause a completely

This is a very unique perspective. People have to keep an open mind. It's difficult when you've been "programmed" to think a certain way.

Yeah, you're gonna need to back claims like that up with something.

Even if you were correct, and that's a big if; how is any of that a reason not to let gay people marry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

What are you talking about? I presume you have some form of research to back up your ridiculously silly claims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Its funny how people who have something against homosexuality often had to choose to be straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

To pass this Referendum the Yes side needs to appeal with logical arguments to the many undecided voters as to why this is the correct thing to do.
    Based on this thread, if any undecided voter shows any possible counterview.....instead of a rational argument...........the person is automatically labelled a bigot.

Careless use of language may alienate voters who with a little education\persuasion of the facts, may vote yes.
    However if I was labelled a bigot, not sure if I could be bothered about someone else's rights if they are so quick to judge me.

Flem31 wrote: »
    To pass this Referendum the Yes side needs to appeal with logical arguments to the many undecided voters as to why this is the correct thing to do.
    Based on this thread, if any undecided voter shows any possible counterview.....instead of a rational argument...........the person is automatically labelled a bigot.

Careless use of language may alienate voters who with a little education\persuasion of the facts, may vote yes.
    However if I was labelled a bigot, not sure if I could be bothered about someone else's rights if they are so quick to judge me.

Perhaps rational counterviews would be met with rational responses? See the poster a few posts above, for example. A couple of people have asked him to back up his claims, but he isn't getting instantly shot down as a bigot. Probably because he actually attempted to explain his position rather than just throw around the words 'tradition' and 'natural'.

Do you also apply this standard of debate to the 'no' campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Pass that **** this way, man.

kevin12345 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? I presume you have some form of research to back up your ridiculously silly claims?

the thoughts you think and the reasoning behind these thoughts make you gay, change your reasoning behind these thoughts, cure the gayness. Only the gay person can cure himself, as he is the one who originated his thought process, so he has to shape his reality differently, meaning change his thought process, like how an extremely shy person has to redo their thought process in order to not be shy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The problem is when you get stuff like this:
    the thoughts you think and the reasoning behind these thoughts make you gay, change your reasoning behind these thoughts, cure the gayness. Only the gay person can cure himself, as he is the one who originated his thought process, so he has to shape his reality differently, meaning change his thought process, like how an extremely shy person has to redo their thought process in order to not be shy,

The whole reasoned argument thing flies out the window.

I can see the logic you're applying here, but how do you know that's how it actually works? How do you explain homosexuality in the animal kingdom, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Conversion therapy has been proven to be nothing but extremely harmful, there is no cure to "gay-ness" and to say that all a person has to do is force themselves to change their thought process and that will make them straight is just completely mind boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I would dearly love to vote but unfortunately my nationality prevents this.

I would vote yes. Purely because I think marriage is great and the more people that get to share in it can only strengthen marriage rather than weaken it. Happiness is found in so few places, why would anyone want to deny people that happiness.

Do you also apply this standard of debate to the 'no' campaign?

Yes I do, not here though as with the numerous people on the Yes side for every No voice, it is not required. It has cropped up recently at work where the bias was the other way, and I defended the rights of the Yes side to be entitled for their rights to be respected as all others.

But whether I apply this standard is immaterial......I am not trying to change people's attitudes and get a referendum passed.
    If this entire debate descends into one big slagging match......the chances of an overall Yes is diminished. After all, when the Irish are unsure of things, we opt for the status quo......no change here needed

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

According to the most recent poll, 71% are in favour and 17% are against. That really doesn't leave that many undecided tbh.

Based on what I've seen in this thread, the views being expressed by some people firmly in the no camp were as far from rational argument as you could get. They were only labelled as bigots because, well, they were bigots. I've nothing against someone holding a contrary view as long as it's not based on bigotry and hatred of people different to themselves, for whatever reason, but tbh the no side have as much chance of persuading me to change my vote as I have of changing theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Thankfully, stupid can be cured by a book.

Take two and call me in the morning.

I can see the logic you're applying here, but how do you know that's how it actually works? How do you explain homosexuality in the animal kingdom, for example?

its a personal preference, to genetically have a preference is impossible. preferences are 100% changeable if you want to change them, making them not a preference, therefore if you didn't want to be gay its simply stating you can be straight if you want to

The problem is when you get stuff like this:

The whole reasoned argument thing flies out the window.

And if you let the reasoned argument fly out the window......the chances of an overall Yes is diminished

its a personal preference, to genetically have a preference is impossible. preferences are 100% changeable if you want to change them, making them not a preference, therefore if you didn't want to be gay its simply stating you can be straight if you want to

That's grand, I'll be seeing my brother in law at the weekend so I can tell him that he can start fancying women any time he likes. I'm sure he'll be delighted to know that.

As for preferences being 100% changeable, well I'm straight, so does that mean I can now choose to be gay?

Straylight wrote: »
    That's grand, I'll be seeing my brother in law at the weekend so I can tell him that he can start fancying women any time he likes. I'm sure he'll be delighted to know that.

As for preferences being 100% changeable, well I'm straight, so does that mean I can now choose to be gay?

Under the right circumstances, and a different understanding of words, one can be gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Under the right circumstances, and a different understanding of words, one can be gay.

Are you female? Can I interest you in a leaflet?

• Advertisement

A different understanding of words? I fully understand what the different definitions of gay are, however we all know that what's being discussed here is not whether I would be light-hearted and carefree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement