Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you vote in the gay marriage referendum?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Why are the people saying they're voting no being banned? They weren't being rude or particularly trolly, I was actually enjoying the debate.
    Why have the thread open at all if both sides can't be expressed? We've called them bigots and ignorant without getting banned. Of course they're wrong, but I like when they're allowed keep explaining why....I don't think they were offending anyone, not that I speak for everyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I don't agree with banning the likes of Larry Wildman because he stated his opinions. I may not agree with them but it's peoples opinions that add to the debate on this important issue.
    I think it's a mistake not to allow debate.

Repeatedly saying the same thing while refusing to get involved in any actual discussion is pretty much the opposite of debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I don't agree with banning the likes of Larry Wildman because he stated his opinions. I may not agree with them but it's peoples opinions that add to the debate on this important issue.
    I think it's a mistake not to allow debate.

If there was actual debate we would have to get paramedics on scene to treat for shock
    Why are the people saying they're voting no being banned? They weren't being rude or particularly trolly, I was actually enjoying the debate.
    Why have the thread open at all if both sides can't be expressed? We've called them bigots and ignorant without getting banned. Of course they're wrong, but I like when they're allowed keep explaining why....I don't think they were offending anyone, not that I speak for everyone though.

Has anyone actually reasoned why they were voting no without going on a tirade of unnatural bastards that arent fit to be considered a relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Straylight wrote: »

So my wife has a sister who lives with her boyfriend and their young son. They also have a younger brother who had the same upbringing and happens to be gay. So by your logic, even though he had the same upbringing, there was something improper about it and it turned him gay. Or else there was something wrong with the girls' upbringing that didn't turn them gay. Perhaps you could clear that up for me?

She must have accidentally left the sister's Barbie doll lying around for him to catch the gay off.

There have been people saying they're voting no without being banned, it seems to be those who just keep repeating the same thing and ignoring any questions put to them that are being banned.

• Advertisement

She must have accidentally left the sister's Barbie doll lying around for him to catch the gay off.

Brilliant :D I genuinely laughed, so true too. God forbid a boy plays with Barbie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

1123heavy wrote: »
    GO ON SHADOW !!! let out all the anger, I can picture you smashing your head off a wall right now with the anger in that post.

Now in a much more civilised manner I will calmly walk into my local polling station, I will queue in an orderly fashion and calmy mark my desired box on the sheet of paper. THAT is how we express our opinion in this country, NOT through a foul mouthed tirade as you have just given an example of, if anything, after reading that drivel I will be voting NO more than ever.

May I recommend you turn off your device and take a walk ? It seems like you could do with one.

Thats actually a qoute by one of the comedians that I agree 100%.

He is so right too, no matter how Hetero you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Thats actually a qoute by one of the comedians that I agree 100%.

He is so right too, no matter how Hetero you are.

Meh, not worth paying much notice to - it was clear he was only looking for a rise out of someone and wrongly thought he had got what he was after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

They were being incredibly offensive. The last one about bringing up a child properly so he/she wouldn't be gay? Excuse me? I was horrified, as my youngest teen is possibly gay.

And as for that other wan.....you can't keep calling people inferior and their relationships inherently unstable and get away with it for ever. I reported them both, and I don't mind telling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There have been people saying they're voting no without being banned, it seems to be those who just keep repeating the same thing and ignoring any questions put to them that are being banned.

But Larry was answering the questions posed.
    His answers might not have suited many but he was giving his views.
    The thread has been ruined now.
    People on the "No" side will now be reluctant to view their opinions for fear of being banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I don't think I, or anyone, will be able to change some people's opinions. There is a % of society who disagree with same sex marriage and no mater what stats, evidence, anecdotes you provide they will not bend, whether becasue of their religion or otherwise.

It's the people sitting on the fence that need proper discussion - in my opinion there are some people who just don;t know what they think and they need people from both sides to present their arguments (minus the name calling), they need information about marriage, families in Ireland, legal rights and obligations of married people, minus the scaremongering, to be be able to make up their own minds.

Obviously I have my own agenda :D but for some light viewing
    http://www.marriagequality.ie/getinvolved/spreadtheword.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Brilliant :D I genuinely laughed, so true too. God forbid a boy plays with Barbie

My 13 year old daughter loves giving my 5 year old son makeovers. He came downstairs one day looking like a mini Panti Bliss and loved himself.

Like Sodom and Gomorrah in this house sometimes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: Just because you don't feel offended, it doesn't mean that people should be allowed to troll the forum and insult people.

Shrap wrote: »
    They were being incredibly offensive. The last one about bringing up a child properly so he/she wouldn't be gay? Excuse me? I was horrified, as my youngest teen is possibly gay.

And as for that other wan.....you can't keep calling people inferior and their relationships inherently unstable and get away with it for ever. I reported them both, and I don't mind telling you.

His is your teen 'possibly' gay? Sure my 4 year old is possibly gay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

People on the "No" side will now be reluctant to view their opinions for fear of being banned.

I cant talk about how women or black people being inferior without getting banned either. Wasn't larry the one who said that it was offensive to even compare homosexual relationships to heterosexual relationships?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Haven't read this thread at all, but how could anyone even consider voting no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

His is your teen 'possibly' gay? Sure my 4 year old is possibly gay...

Yeah, well I've been thinking he could go either way for a long time but the hormones are kicking in for him now and it's looking more likely.

I cant talk about how women or black people being inferior without getting banned either. Wasn't larry the one who said that it was offensive to even compare homosexual relationships to heterosexual relationships?

Yes it was. His posts were ridiculously offensive.

humanji wrote: »
    MOD: Just because you don't feel offend, it doesn't mean that people should be allowed to troll the forum and insult people.

Like I said, I don't speak for everyone, nor was I talking about every banned poster on the thread.

I just feel that people are automatically being labeled trolls because of their opinion. Anyway I've said it now, I won't mention it again :)

abff wrote: »

Probably dangerous to assume they're considering anything tbh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Larry has a history of attention seeking, looking at what the common consensus is and going off wildly in the other direction (in an often provocative manner), even if that means contradicting himself to do so if the consensus has changed. Today was just more of the same from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

I will be voting No due to my personal beliefs. I think a poll would be interesting to see.

Yes it was. His posts were ridiculously offensive.

But by that logic it is also offensive to vote No even if they think they genuinely have good reason to.

masti123 wrote: »
    I will be voting No due to my personal beliefs. I think a poll would be interesting to see.

Sorry, but this kind of thing depresses me. What on earth do your personal beliefs have to do with whether or not two people get married?

But by that logic it is also offensive to vote No even if they think they genuinely have good reason to.

What?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Larry has a history of attention seeking, looking at what the common consensus is and going off wildly in the other direction (in an often provocative manner), even if that means contradicting himself to do so if the consensus has changed. Today was just more of the same from him.

Didn't know that.
    First time reading his views today.
    I thought he was giving his genuine reasons for voting No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

abff wrote: »

And if they were considering it......here wouldn't be the place to let it be known......after all they are uneducated stupid immoral bad people who are bigoted.....(all phrases used in the last 12 hours or so)

If I walked down the street and shouted those phrases at someone......not sure it would be accepted.

Will posters insulting peoples beliefs also be banned?

I would assume so if they refer to them as subhuman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Aren't homosexuals notoriously promiscuous? Why do they even want marriage?

• Advertisement

Flem31 wrote: »
    And if they were considering it......here wouldn't be the place to let it be known......after all they are uneducated stupid immoral bad people who are bigoted.....(all phrases used in the last 12 hours or so)

If I walked down the street and shouted those phrases at someone......not sure it would be accepted.
    Meh, hold bigoted beliefs, get called a bigot. Should hardly be surprising.

It's like if someone was throwing around racial slurs then wondering why they're getting called racist. It's hilarious and sad all at once.

Edit: I do get what you're trying to say, really I do. For what it's worth I wouldn't necessarily think someone was bigoted for disapproving of homosexuality. I do however think actively depriving someone of rights afforded to the rest of the population, based on this disapproval, is bigoted behaviour

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement