Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Oh God. I've not laughed so hard in a while :D

Every so often, Squeak goes into 'hunting mode' which means she wants to get out. Has to get out. Needs to get outside. NOW! She'll wail around the house until she is let out and she gallops off on her titchy little legs towards the cattle shed. Today I was in the shed when she was let out so in she trots and goes straight to the bag of partridge feed and plops down to stare at it.
    Five minutes later, a rustling starts and a mouse scrambles out and runs straight up the wall. (This is a five foot cavity block wall)
    Squeak obviously had a brain fart and forgot she was a cat that could jump. So she climbs vertically up the bleeding wall, nails digging in like billio. :eek:
    All I could think of was 'Spidercat, Spidercat....does whatever a Spidercat does'

If only I had a camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

muddypaws wrote: »
    I freaked our postman out completely yesterday. A friend in Australia ordered some lighted (?) collars for the dogs, from a company in Canada as a surprise, a box arrived with Canadian flag stickers on, and what was in the box written on it, I think I actually screamed. The friend told the company all about the rescue, and the trek that we are doing in the UK, so they put 2 free collars in for us as well. These cost almost $50 canadian each, I am very impressed with them. Head-Lites is the company, and I shall sing their praises to everyone, we tried the collars out in the field last night, they're brilliant. http://www.head-lites.com/collections/manmat-head-lites

Are they waterproof? Just my pair of brats will get into a ditch full of water and probably destroy them on their first outing! Love the look of them, are they any brighter than the roglites?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

tk123 wrote: »

If I got them I can see the USB charger port getting immersed in mud and getting clogged up!

The head lites ones aren't waterproof either, but I don't think I'll find ones that are completely waterproof!

If I got them I can see the USB charger port getting immersed in mud and getting clogged up!

The head lites ones aren't waterproof either, but I don't think I'll find ones that are completely waterproof!

Bailey went swimming with the rog lite submerged and it still worked. If the usb get's full of mud I've a can of air duster here that'll clear it out lol :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I won a pet photo shoot on facebook! So excited, was thinking of booking one anyway so can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Are they waterproof? Just my pair of brats will get into a ditch full of water and probably destroy them on their first outing! Love the look of them, are they any brighter than the roglites?

I think they are really bright, not waterproof, but there is a little cover over the battery pack, and they explain how to dry them out if they do get wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I woke up to muddy paw prints on my pillow again this morning. It was Felix today and Jazzy yesterday. Mr Pumpkinseeds is Felix's favourite, but it's me he wakes for cuddles when he's soaked or wants breakfast.:rolleyes:

I woke up to muddy paw prints on my pillow again this morning.

I'm sorry :(:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I wish we could afford to take on another cat, the farm across the road has about 5 feral cats. They are all jet black, shiny and bright eyed but terrified of people.
    They come over here every once in a while to raid on my cats food. I like these Ferals, they aren't bullies like previous ones that have visited us. This one in particular, who I've named toothless after the dragon in how to train your dragon, is a favourite as he plays with dude, they like to play tag. There is also Fred, who is definitely an offspring of my old cat as they have the same meow, and there is another who visits who I haven't seen in ages who has 3/4 of a tail. But toothless is my favourite :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I love black cats :) I was reading recently that there's still a sort of stigma attached to them in the US and they aren't adopted out of shelters as quickly as patterned cats. It also mentioned the fact that they don't photograph well as being part of the cause :eek:

We had one around here for a while a couple of years back.
    Naturally, I named him Snowy.
    63646_1734660215578_5364899_n.jpg?oh=a2d126052ee0803d8478a8e8b519785e&oe=5539DDAB&__gda__=1430260337_18c4017d9a7a35220c85eaf44f6e5a7a

Kovu wrote: »
    I love black cats :) I was reading recently that there's still a sort of stigma attached to them in the US and they aren't adopted out of shelters as quickly as patterned cats. It also mentioned the fact that they don't photograph well as being part of the cause :eek:

We had one around here for a while a couple of years back.
    Naturally, I named him Snowy.
    63646_1734660215578_5364899_n.jpg?oh=a2d126052ee0803d8478a8e8b519785e&oe=5539DDAB&__gda__=1430260337_18c4017d9a7a35220c85eaf44f6e5a7a

The stigma attached to black cats is a global one. Never really understood it myself, probably leftover religious hysteria and superstition from the middleages. We've had a few black cats over the years and they have the sweetest natures. Poppy would sit on your lap and snuggle all day if she could.:)

I'm sitting on the living room floor being a human shield. Toby is on the armchair and Felix wants the armchair. Sometimes it feels like having 4 kids not 4 cats. Judging by the noise I can hear coming from the hall I'm guessing Felix is gone into the cupboard to see what mischief he can do in there out of sheer grumpiness and bloody mindedness. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

All three of my cats have been black and white so have a bit of a soft spot for them. Think it's less of a superstitious/religious thing and more of a 'black cats are plain ordinary' thing and everyone wants a ginger/tabby/long haired one. I love black cats, something very elegant about them :)

There's new people in a house in our estate the last few months. They seem to have brought a dog with them, it spends every evening and night barking. Sounds like a big dog but iv never once seen it, not sure if it gets walked or not, sounds like it's either dragging a chain or kicking around a metal dish constantly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Apparently the kill rates for black dogs is higher too. It may be the fact that people want an "interesting" colour or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I had the most horrible old man ask me for help today in work. Apparently "hi how are you? Can I help you?" Is not an "acceptable" way to greet somebody! He looked down his nose at me and wanted me to repeat "good afternoon sir" to him! I felt so belittled by him :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

SingItOut wrote: »
    I had the most horrible old man ask me for help today in work. Apparently "hi how are you? Can I help you?" Is not an "acceptable" way to greet somebody! He looked down his nose at me and wanted me to repeat "good afternoon sir" to him! I felt so belittled by him :mad:

It's not 1964 anymore. Unless he has mental health issues he was just being a jerk. Did he also demand a curtsey?

Bastard :mad:

Christmas in retail is a special kind of hell. I did it for 18 years and don't miss it for a second. In fact it has fairly ruined Christmas for me, I don't get "festive" at all, and half the time don't bother putting up a tree or decorations. I much prefer January to December, much more to look forward to :)

Edited to add: A customer once whistled at me to get my attention to help him, another clicked his fingers. Although that tends to pale into insignificance when I recall getting punched by a shoplifting traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Yesterday is work I had a customer dispute a price on something, and when I bought him over and pointed out the correct price that *was* under the product (he was trying to save himself about €30) he told me I had a horrible manner and that I was 'dead behind my eyes'.

The joys of Retail work at Christmas :(:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The joys of retail :( I'v come to the conclusion that some people were just born to be d!ck5, they get up in the morning with the sole purpose of making some stranger, who's probably on minimum wage or near it, feel like utter sh!t and even more run into the ground, just to feel better themselves.

I'v had the same thing from a man recently, said 'hello, good morning' to him twice and when he didn't respond either time I continued scanning his shopping and said no more until he said to me 'your very rude, you think that's enough to say do you'. Someone I work with was shouted at and called 'an english *****' for not serving a drunk man another bottle of powers. We had another guy who thought it was acceptable to grope and grab us while we were working, asked a 16 year old girl what her 'number' was and all sorts of inappropriate questions. And this was even after a warning from the guards.

Retail is a hateful place to work at times :(

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    Apparently the kill rates for black dogs is higher too. It may be the fact that people want an "interesting" colour or something

They don't photograph well so less people come to visit them in shelters :(
    I know from taking photos of some of the dogs here, if you don't get them at just the right moment it can be hard to see their eyes in the photo. There's a fab black cocker who comes here but has those beautiful cocker long eyelashes so it's REALLY hard to see her eyes in photos!

Tis the season of Peace and Goodwill to all men - unless you're shopping, then all bets are off.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    It's not 1964 anymore. Unless he has mental health issues he was just being a jerk. Did he also demand a curtsey?

Funny my mam said the same thing :D I was so taken aback, he was in buying fish food for his grand kids, bet they love him :rolleyes:

A customer once whistled at me to get my attention to help him, another clicked his fingers. Although that tends to pale into insignificance when I recall getting punched by a shoplifting traveller.

Oh Ive gotten people whistling and clapping their hands at me, so disrespectful and more so annoying! Oh my god you were punched?! What a nasty human being :mad:

Oh so annoying!!!! Normally when I order at the weekend from zooplus it gets delivered on Friday.. I'm working from home today and just got a text to say the parcel will be delivered to work this afternoon! My LED collars lol - don't think I'll be able to resist driving down for them lol!

edited to add - I worked in (an outsourced) call center for one one of the utilities and got it all - didn't want to talk to somebody with a Dublin accent, woman who wouldn't deal with me because she only wanted to talk to a man, "I'm a doctor and my new baby will die because we've not heating tonight" when there was no available repair slots etc etc etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Max is obsessed with the food we give the dogs. I was geting Roisins food ready on the bench in the kitchen and up Max jumped and started tucking in to the food :eek: Then when Poppy was eating hers, who was sharing other than Max!

:(:(:( an awful trip to the vets for Bailey's bloods. The vet was called out of the room as we were if sines and didn't come back, next a nurse came in apologising because a dog had been hit by a car. As I was paying I could hear somebody in the other room roaring and crying shouting 'NO NO NO!!' Heartbroken thinking of them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

tk123 wrote: »
    :(:(:( an awful trip to the vets for Bailey's bloods. The vet was called out of the room as we were if sines and didn't come back, next a nurse came in apologising because a dog had been hit by a car. As I was paying I could hear somebody in the other room roaring and crying shouting 'NO NO NO!!' Heartbroken thinking of them :(

Oh that just made me choke up a little bit :(

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Oh that just made me choke up a little bit :(

Just even thinking about it has tears in my eyes :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Just got a nasty nip from Elly, she caught me right on that tender inner part of my arm:'(

Got called a few choice names believe me!

Glad I finish up tomorrow for a fortnight - intensive clicker training me thinks!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement