Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrity Encounters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I met William Roache who plays Ken Barlow in Coronation Street at a works do. I sold Nigel Mercier who played Des in Glenroe a packet of cigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I met William Roache who plays Ken Barlow in Coronation Street at a works do. I sold Nigel Mercier who played Des in Glenroe a packet of cigs.
    I hope you got a photo of that momentous occasion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Met Angela Lansbury in NYC, an amazingly beautiful and fascinating woman inside and out. Had a lovely conversation with James Cromwell in an artisan restaurant again in Manhattan. Another memorable celeb encounter was Jay Kay from Jamiroquai. I met him at a party in London in the mid nineties. Again a thoroughly interesting individual and incredibly laid back individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

nc19 wrote: »
    I was in Blanc SC one time when I saw what I thought was a particularly convincing transvestite. Turns out it was the horrible wreck that is Glenda Gilson.

She used to drink in my local so I've seen her in person. Fair enough I've taken the piss out of the tan and so on and she's not my sort (I'm sure she's heartbroken) but you're being very harsh. By any objective standard, she's nowhere near an ugly woman.

I helped put on a gig a few years ago that DJ Scotch Egg played at. He ended up in my apartment listening to music and smoking. It was awesome, he's really sound.

Also once told one of the guys from Westlife or some other shitty band like that to get out of the way of the door so I could leave HMV.

Dolans warehouse?

Met Stephen Ferris in a hostel in Dublin on Saturday. Times must be tough for former Irish rugby players if they have to kip in a hostel in Dublin when they wanna go boozing with the team. You'd think one of his rugby buddies would let him kip on their couch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

EazyD wrote: »
    Oh yeah forgot about this one, was driving along Upper Leeson street few months back when a blonde, middle aged lady darted across on front of me in an obvious hurry and pulling a suitcase along, forcing me to brake.

While muttering expletives under my breath, I copped who it was, none other than Anne Doyle, all was forgiven instantly.

Used to see Anne Doyle almost every week as she lives near where I work. And before you ask, no, I'm not telling you where I work. I don't want to encourage stalkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Munster rugby team were meeting up in a hotel in Limerick (can't remember name) and I was there for my cousin's wedding. Hair done, make up done, dressed up, the whole shebang and saw Ronan o gara walking down a hall towards me on his own. Perfect photo op seeing as I had the glad rags on but totally chickened out of askin him for pic.
    One of my biggest regrets cos no one believes me when I tell them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

heldel00 wrote: »
    Munster rugby team were meeting up in a hotel in Limerick (can't remember name) and I was there for my cousin's wedding. Hair done, make up done, dressed up, the whole shebang and saw Ronan o gara walking down a hall towards me on his own. Perfect photo op seeing as I had the glad rags on but totally chickened out of askin him for pic.

Was he wearing the same colour dress as you ? I hate when that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

KungPao wrote: »
    I used to hate threads like this when a certain poster was still around...

**** like "I have worked closely with some high profile people indeed, in the political field and the entertainment business. I know more about them than any journalist, but please do not ask me to name names. It would not be wise of me to do so."

And it's actually no secret who he is these days and he has a, somewhat, public profile. But ask him on any of his many many Facebook pages or blogs as to why he can't get his friends from Buffy to help on his many campaigns and you will be banned. He only ever specified Buffy for some reason

The Strand or the Clarion? Its usually one of them.

Fairly used to meeting the Munster team at this stage but I only met O'Gara once in a pub and was totally star struck. I was waiting to be served at a bar in Limerick and there he was standing next to me. It was a good minute before I noticed him. Two of us were fairly pissed and we had had a quick chat. Turns out he's actually a really sound guy. He even paid for the two pints I ordered and that was that.

Met Conor Murray and Simon Zebo in the jacks of a Cork night club the bank holiday weekend just gone. Both absolutely smashed drunk. Spotted Zebo carrying Murray down the stairs of said club when the night finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I used to share a house with a guy who is now a Labour TD. One of the ones you see on TV quite a bit.
    If he doesn't cop the f#%k on I'll be digging out the old party photos, know what I mean? :-)

I'm guessing it's Aodhan O'Amadan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I bumped into Patrick Bergin outside the gates of Trinity College one evening. We were both rushing in opposite directions - almost sent me flying. Solid guy and is much taller than he looks on screen.

he looked pretty tall in sleeping with the enemy, hopefully he's not as scary in RL though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    he looked pretty tall in sleeping with the enemy, hopefully he's not as scary in RL though :D

I met him a few times. He's huge. He was and probably still is living just outside Nenagh One night some d1ckhead in a pub asked him,
    "Are you still riding that black one?"

He replied, "Yes I'm still married to my wife. Now F*ck Off before I stick you to the f*cking wall."

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

KungPao wrote:
    Is it a Canadian person?

I think sashafierce is just shocked that you don't know who Hozier is!

He's an Irish musician, getting pretty huge this year. He's awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I just remembered I saw Sonia o Sullivan walking on o connell street in Limerick and we sat near Mick Galway having lunch in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I used to live near Paul McCartney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I shok in the same pet shop as Katie Taylor
    I was sent out to Dublin airport at some stupid time about 10 years ago, packie bonnars phone had died and I had to drop him out a new one.
    I trained a few of the Leinster rugby players in how to use an xda (kids these days will have no idea what I'm talking about)
    met Dana about 20 years ago, she signed a napkin for my sister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Probably The Strand hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I just remembered I saw Sonia o Sullivan walking on o connell street in Limerick and we sat near Mick Galway having lunch in Kilkenny.

I was playing in a summer soccer league in Kilkennny years back. Mick was playing for the other team. I marked him for a corner. His 6 3" and about 17 stone against my 5 9" and about 11 stone in wet clothes. Needless to say he won the header.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Mike McCready from Pearl Jam on Grafton Street

Ye lucky sod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

sposed ta be going to a small dinner with ryan tubridy tomorrow night, but im gonna stay in and watch the europa league games instead

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

annascott wrote: »
    I used to live near Paul McCartney.

You should have posted a few sausages through his letter box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Met Louis Walsh in a Gay Bar in Cork.

There were lots of free condoms and everyone was super friendly.

Got some free drinks and a hat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

EazyD wrote: »
    Oh yeah forgot about this one, was driving along Upper Leeson street few months back when a blonde, middle aged lady darted across on front of me in an obvious hurry and pulling a suitcase along, forcing me to brake.

While muttering expletives under my breath, I copped who it was, none other than Anne Doyle, all was forgiven instantly.

Not me unfortunately, but colleagues of mine were once scandalised by the bould Anne in one of those gin palaces on the South Quays. They were celebrating one of their birthdays when Anne, who was on her own at the bar, joined in. She was ruffling the birthday boy's hair and telling him how handsome he was. "It was like your mad auntie getting drunk at a wedding" says they.

On a related traffic incident. A mate of mine lives in London. Some years ago he was helping some friends move house so was driving a rental van for the day. He came barrelling along Kensington High Street, "Channelling my inner White Van Man" and had to brake suddenly as some old bloke wandered across a zebra crossing in front of him. My mate leant on the horn and shouted at the old geezer to get a move on. Said OAP turned to look at him and gave him the trademark Sir Roger Moore raised eyebrow. For it was the man himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

All the celebs I've met have been cool. Even the likes of JK, who I stopped in the street, or Bono, who's car window I knocked on so I could say hello, were chatty, friendly, and pleasant. Mike McCreedy was with his wife and baby and he even introduced me to her. Evan Dando, post-gig, stood up and shook my hand. Colm Meany would've been great to have a pint with. Lars was really friendly.

The reality is they couldn't give a damn about you and view you as a nuisance. They're trying to go about their daily business, and the last thing they want is yet another layperson wanting to say hello, just so they can tell their friends and say how great it was. It wasn't great for the "celebrities", though, as they look with contempt on those pesky celebrity tourists who simply won't leave them alone.
    met Dana about 20 years ago, she signed a napkin for my sister

Hope your sister sneezed into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I played golf with George Hook and Ryle Nugent in a charity event once then we had the dinner with Joe Dolan afterwards. I've also played golf with country music star Ray Lynam. All sound men altogether.

I got James Taylor's autograph at one of his concerts here a few years ago, I have it framed as I have always been a big fan of his. I've also met former Kilkenny hurlers Eddie Brennan & DJ Carey and I've spoken to legendary athlete Eamon Coghlan and former rugby player Fergus Slattery on the phone. (does that count?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Spent the night drinking with William DaFoe back in 2011.

Well, no......no I didn't. I just wanted to sound interesting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I was at a mate's sister's play in a school and went for a slash at the break. Standing at the urinal next to me was Brian Dobson.

I win.

I should add that he was urinating too, not just looking at me or giving the latest headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

scouttio wrote: »
    I served Reuben in work once.... (RTE Junior presenter, that counts right? )

He's a mate of mine's brother. Nice fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I stepped on Joanna Lumelys foot while waiting to board a flight to Dublin at Heathrow Airport. She apologised to me :D

Then shared a bus to the aircraft with her, Minnie Driver and Jim Carter (Downton Abbeys butler)

Advertisement