Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

jh79 wrote: »
    Brewed in kildare, so would it be McGargles? Hope not heard nothing but bad things about McGargles.

That doesnt sound good, tried their stuff when it first launched and it seemed like there was more effort put into the labels. Lidl have no pale ale surprisingly, lager, stout and red ale from what I can see. 4 pack of 330mil for 4.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Grayditch wrote: »
    Can't remember the name of Trouble Brewing's new IPA, but it was lovely. On tap in Cassidy's.

The one they produce for these lot is called 'Vietnow'. Its excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

drumswan wrote: »
    The one they produce for these lot is called 'Vietnow'. Its excellent.

It is a fantastic IPA, I had it at the fest in the RDS then spotted it in the Blackbird in Rathmines two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Finishing my last bottle of Killer Green Fresh Hop IPA from Double Mountain I brought back from my holidays. I feel sad drinking it :( so tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Brewed in kildare, so would it be McGargles? Hope not heard nothing but bad things about McGargles.

Do McGargles not get their stuff brewed over in England?

EDIT: Oh yeah I see that was a temporary thing *closes can of worms*

Either way I hope it's not them brewing it, all my experiences of their stuff is bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Do McGargles not get their stuff brewed over in England?

EDIT: Oh yeah I see that was a temporary thing *closes can of worms*

Either way I hope it's not them brewing it, all my experiences of their stuff is bad.

I just Googled kildare brewery as the label in the lidl ad says brewed in kilcock , kildare. That is as far as my detective work went, hope I'm wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I just Googled kildare brewery as the label in the lidl ad says brewed in kilcock , kildare. That is as far as my detective work went, hope I'm wrong too.

Ah yeah there's a bit of back story them, thread on it on beoir if you want to know more.

http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10112

You don't have a link to the lidl ad do you? Interested in some info on their new range..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Ah yeah there's a bit of back story them, thread on it on beoir if you want to know more.

http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10112

You don't have a link to the lidl ad do you? Interested in some info on their new range..

Sorry just have the brochure that comes with the Sunday World, there is a red ale, stout and lager. 4.99 for 4*330ml . The label says brewed in kilcock , co. Kildare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Has anyone tried any of the Colgans beers? I see that they're on offer in Tesco - four for €6.50. Are they made by the McGargles people?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Re: LIDL
    Presume they are just Solas in smaller bottles so?
    I've tried all the Solas stuff over the last couple of days and I find them completely bland. Just finished the stout and I swear if it was a blind tasting I wouldn't recognise it as a stout.
    Having my old reliable O Haras Red now. I know it doesn't get much love on here, but in my opinion it is the most flavoursome generally available Red around. Has to be unchilled though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Re: LIDL
    Presume they are just Solas in smaller bottles so?
    I've tried all the Solas stuff over the last couple of days and I find them completely bland. Just finished the stout and I swear if it was a blind tasting I wouldn't recognise it as a stout.

Somehow I missed out on the Solas stuff as well. The Colgans beers didn't look inspiring anyway.

Edit: I realise that we are talking about different things. But on second thought they may all be related.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Somehow I missed out on the Solas stuff as well. The Colgans beers didn't look inspiring anyway.

Edit: I realise that we are talking about different things. But on second thought they may all be related.

Looks like it. They are all Rye River. The increase in the rebate in the budget must have done them a big favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Has anyone tried any of the Colgans beers? I see that they're on offer in Tesco - four for €6.50. Are they made by the McGargles people?

I bought a 4 pack of the IPA last week. Didn't realise till I got them home and read the bottles that Colgans was another Rye River brand.

Very uninspiring IPA, no hop aroma whatsoever. Taste was overly malty sweet with a very mild damp/stale hop flavour. Dunno what hops they're using but it's not a lot of them!

Pity as 4 for 6.50 was a decent price. I still have 2 of the 4 in my fridge, can't face finishing them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I can confirm that the unpasteurised Tennent's was even worse than the usual stuff. In saying that, I assume they sell very little of it given the great selection they had on tap so it may have been sitting in the lines for a while. Horrible stuff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Unfortunately going to have to add to the negativity on this page, tried the O'Hara's Double IPA, did not like it at all. Really heavy and sweet, or something. I do love all their other beers (the stouts especially), but this really was not good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Unfortunately going to have to add to the negativity on this page, tried the O'Hara's Double IPA, did not like it at all. Really heavy and sweet, or something. I do love all their other beers (the stouts especially), but this really was not good beer.

+1. Not great at all imo.

I had 8 degrees rye ale last night. Think its called Simcoe. Now that is fantastic stuff.

Also had the Trouble brewing rye ale which wasnt as good it has to be said but still very drinkable.

I'm beginning to wonder do I prefer Rye ales to IPA's. Both nice in their own ways but I think I'm leaning towards a Rye Ale preference which isnt ideal as there doesnt seem to be a huge amount of them on the market. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I absolutely prefer Rye Ales to IPAs, the spiceyness of the Rye does a lovely balancing act with the harshness of the hops, taking some of the bitter edge off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Barrelhead Intergalactic Ale.
    Bierhaus, Cork.
    €5 a pint.
    Lovely ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Barrelhead Intergalactic Ale.
    Bierhaus, Cork.
    €5 a pint.
    Lovely ;)
    On a limited run at JW Sweetman in Dublin at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »

I bet it's not a fiver a pint, though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It may be less. I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Aldi have these next week,
    W48_PD_Sunday_New_IL12_a4d41fb842.jpg

Bah Humbug Ale, Rosey Nosey Ale, BRU Beers or Kenmare Beers.
    €2.50 a piece so will be give them all a try. Had the Kenmare before never the others though. Anyone try Bah Humbug before?

Lidl also have these at the moment, didn't see them in the store near me yesterday though, €4.99 for 4 long kneck.

beerwk4714_06.jpg

rob316 wrote: »

€2.50 a piece so will be give them all a try. Had the Kenmare before never the others though. Anyone try Bah Humbug before?

Lidl also have these at the moment, didn't see them in the store near me yesterday though, €4.99 for 4 long kneck.

beerwk4714_06.jpg

Bru's ipa is more like an English bitter imo. I wouldn't buy it again personally.

Haven't tried the rest and after that one from bru would be a little hesitant to try their other stuff.

Might try the ones from lidl.

If ye haven't tried the stuff from Kinnegar lads I implore you to do so. In particular their rye ale is just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

beerwk4714_06.jpg

The lidl ones are rye river. I think if much cheaper things to poor down the sink, like Irish water

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The lidl ones are rye river. I think if much cheaper things to poor down the sink, like Irish water

I find their McGargles Red drinkable. The Solas Red they make though... that was a waste of two beers. Will have to try these before writing them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

beerwk4714_06.jpg

The bottles look very similar to what you get in Trader Joes in the US, I think it is owned by the same group as Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Tesco selling McGargle's Knock Knock Ned's IPA, . 6.5pc

4 bottles (330ml) for 6.50. Usually around 9 euro

Tesco selling McGargle's Knock Knock Ned's IPA, . 6.5pc

4 bottles (330ml) for 6.50. Usually around 9 euro

I wouldn't take them for a euro a bottle personally. Muck.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have a Hoptimum. This pleases me greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

BeerNut wrote: »

All gone now! :(
    Having their porter instead :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement